Top solar panels 2024

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

The best panel isn’t necessarily the most efficient. Size, cost and availability will also be considerations.

I have been scanning the internet looking for solar panels to fit my garage roof and possibly a north/west facing roof on my house. The garage roof will accommodate 5 or 6 (depending on the panel size) and is southeast-facing.

If money was no object I would go for the REA Fusion2 panels. They come with an Enphase IQ8 microinverter and by all accounts are ideal for UK weather,  generating in low light conditions. The stumbling block is they cost between £400 and £500 per panel and they are supplied and fitted by only one company.

However, money is a consideration and I have, unless any of you guys can recommend another, decided to use Jinko Tiger Neo 430W N-Type 54 Cell – All Black Mon. They have a decent reputation and very good warranties

Rating : 430W
      1762mm x 1134mm x 30mm
      30 linear power warranty
      25 year product warranty
      MC4 connectors

As you can see the panel size is very good as some other panels producing similar wattage are 1900+ mm in length which may reduce the number if panels on the garage roof.

If anyone knows of better panels then please let me know.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brydo
      Participant

I forgot to list the price of the jinko panel, it is an incredable

£72.50 ex VAT
        £87.00 inc VAT

kezo
        Participant

Monocrystalline, which is what the Jinko panel is, followed by Polycrystalline are the best solar panels for efficiency and lifespan. Perovskite panels will soon be available with an higher efficiency

Brydo
          Participant

Yes, Kezo perovskite panels are expected to have an efficiency of some 27% heading to the low 30% over the next few years. Perovskite has major degradation problems that they have only recently, past two years,  established methods to control.

When I look at the efficiency of my existing panels of some 11% it makes me smile.

kezo
            Participant

Of no use really – Concentrator Photvoltaic panels use optics or curved mirrors and have an efficiency of upto 50%!

Rich44
              Participant

They always go I about new tech on panels etc but honestly one of the best and low tech ways to extract the most power is a system to angle them to track the sun along with a solar concentrator

Some of the tech channels on YouTube have done fascinating work on extracting the most power from solar

Brydo
                Participant

There are many innovative ideas out there but I was referring to rooftop solar. Panels that most of us can fit on our roof and get electricity generated year after year.

I don’t like the term “free” as it’s not, the upfront cost has come down massively over the years but is still substantial.

When looking at the “best”green energy production there is no other contender, at this point, than solar. Rooftop solar is likely to be the main source of green energy around the world. I live in Scotland and it’s not the sunniest of places to live but I still manage to produce 3kwh of solar energy. This is likely to increase to 6kwh over the summer. My 3kwh system is an old system with a panel efficiency of 11%, with efficiencies of 30% on the cards in the next few years I would be able to produce in excess of 12kwh.

MFillingham
                  Participant

Sorry to jump in but are there still grants for installations for those on very limited incomes/vulnerabilities?  I keep looking but all I seem to find are these companies that haven’t existed for long offering a consultation that may result in a grant towards the cost.  I’ve heard too many horror stories about these companies either doing a very shoddy job and causing damage worth more than paying properly in the first place, using junk that needs replacing or is just an eye sore within months or charging an absolute fortune, reducing that by some ‘grant’ and it still costing pretty close to the full cost.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                    I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Brydo
                    Participant

@MF I am based in Scotland so I don’t know what is available elsewhere but here we can get a grant of £1250 for solar and battery installation but ONLY if you also install an air source heat pump which you get a grant of £7500. So a total grant of £10,000 but not really very much in the grand scheme of things.

kezo
                      Participant

@MFillingham

Have a search on Eco4 funding.

Brydo
                        Participant

Just copied this from the ECO4 Scheme page online, hope it helps.

Are You Eligible for ECO4 Scheme?
                          Homeowners: The ECO4 Scheme is aimed at homeowners. Tenants can apply with landlord’s permission if they qualify. Landlords can encourage their tenants to apply (both parties need to agree).
                          Income and Benefits: If your household has low income, and you receive qualifying benefits, you are likely to get it (no benefits? we may be able to help through other grants).
                          Property Type and Condition: Prioritisation is given to households living in fuel poverty or with low Energy Performance Certificate EPC rating D and lower.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.