Top Ten CO2 polluters on the scheme……………..

• Creator
    Topic
  • #127094 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

It is interesting how you can vary search results on the Motability website. Just doing a search of all scheme vehicles but refining the results to ‘Sort by CO2 emissions high to low’ brings about some interesting results.

Including different engines, gearboxes and drivetrain (AWD/FWD/RWD) combinations, (but disregarding differing trim levels of the same vehicle) the current top ten vehicles on the scheme with the highest CO2 output in order of greatest polluters at the top are:

1. KIA SPORTAGE ESTATE 1.6T GDI ISG 3 5DR AWD Manual – Petrol
    2.. JEEP COMPASS SW 1.4 MULTIAIR 170 LIMITED 5DR AUTO – Petrol
    3. VOLVO XC40 ESTATE 2.0 B4P R DESIGN 5DR AWD AUTO – -Petrol
    4. MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE CROSS HATCHBACK 1.5 DYNAMIC 5DR 4WD CVT – Petrol
    5. MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER ESTATE 2.0 DESIGN 5DR CVT – Petrol
    6. VOLVO XC40 ESTATE 2.0 B4P R DESIGN PRO 5DR FWD Auto – -Petrol
    7. JEEP COMPASS SW DIESEL 2.0 MULTIJET 170 TRAILHAWK 5DR 4WD – Diesel
    8. KIA SPORTAGE ESTATE 1.6T GDI ISG GT-LINE 5DR DCT AWD AUTO -Petrol
    9.. ALFA ROMEO GIULIETTA HATCHBACK 1.4 TB SPRINT 5DR FWD Manual –Petrol
    10. HYUNDAI TUCSON ESTATE 1.6 TGDI 177 N LINE 5DR 2WD Manual – Petrol

It is interesting that only one diesel is in the list of the worst CO2 offenders and that the popular Volvo XC40 petrol autos (both AWD and FWD) are right up there. I suppose with SUV’s being somewhat heavier vehicles they will head up the list, but the Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 manual is a surprising interloper!

Food for thought though.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #127103 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Interesting indeed but it’s all very well using laboratory numbers for these sorts of things but they always miss the final link in the chain i.e. the driver.

I bet any money being a mature experience driver that the car I have causes less pollution than cars down the list that are driven by folk who have lead in the soles of their shoes and who jump on the brakes 20 metres from the stop line when the traffic lights are red or those driver that refuse to use stop and go.

What it tells us if we didn’t already know is the bigger the car the more pollution but like comparing a 5 Watt light bulb that uses less energy and therefore less polluting than a 3KWh Kettle but you can’t make a cup of tea with a 5 Watt light bulb.😁

#127135 Reply
    Allan

What no VWs

#127155 Reply
    rox
    Participant

There’s a job for you then chris do your own real world test, good luck driving about with the kit needed to do the test with, prob how vw got away with it..

As for stop start it’s ok if it works, my newest car don’t have it and i must say i don’t miss it. cutting the engine just as you about to pull away at a junction, you have to stop at for a split second and see it is all clear and safe to go and then there is a huge delay. i don’t miss that one bit..

I did like coasting in eco mode though. but the one problem with eco mode was you needed to push down on the peddle more to make the car move. so great for a haevyfoot but bad for those like me who the more i have to push down my foot the more it hurts and thats the best thing about sport mode i can make car move just slightly tapping the gas.

If my new car was still on the list it would be top

Urban Cycle CO₂ (g/km)180
    Extra Urban CO₂ 112
    Combined CO₂ 137

#127163 Reply
    Clipped wings

Strange that CO2 has become the only “pollutant” discussed. A non toxic gas that we exhale with every breath. Plants convert it back to oxygen which makes the human avarice driving deforestation unbelievably idiotic. Sf6, a gas used as an electrical insulator in the wind turbines, power stations etc that charge the Green phev,ev revolution is 23500 times more powerful as a greenhouse gas A metric ton of concrete emits @900 kgs of CO2 in production, steel 1800 kgs. How much is needed for HS2 or new roads and houses for the 6 million increase in our population since Blair opened the floodgates? The Chinese have been building a new coal fired power station every 1 to 2 weeks, dwarfing the west’s efforts. The pollutants that are ignored by the press include the carcinogenic soot emitted by diesel, DPFs are not 100% efficient and there are still too many older cancer wagons on our roads. Then there are toxic NOx, sulphurs and benzine. Urea, cuddly name Adblue, reduces but not eliminates them. CO2 might be heating our planet, but real urban vehicle pollution gives kids asthma or worse. As others have said, the best contribution we can make is to drive efficiently and less often.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Top Ten CO2 polluters on the scheme……………..
Your information: