Too old to learn? Gizmos for cars

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  vinalspin 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #75484 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I have noticed on other threads posters talking about gizmos and apps for cars, someone also indicated the tech on the new Merc is too difficult to understand. If you know about car tech and want to post it here then feel free.

To start the thread off i include the link below.

Hyundai Kia’s Smartphone App For Performance Tweaks: Smart or Stupid?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #75490 Reply

Dragonfly

One rule about Tech which mandatorily in all cases

Never read the manual 🙂

#75491 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Do they still provide manuals, thought everything was on youtube lol.

#75492 Reply

Dragonfly

The spirit of the rule still applies you can only consult YouTube if the problem cannot be resolved by random button pressing and general fiddling about. 🙂

#75495 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

brilliant lol.

#75496 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

The Ioniq I cancelled had Android auto. I was told it would definitely mirror my android phone 3 times when I asked. That night I spent all night on YouTube and learned that it would not do what the salesman said. It was one of the main reasons for my cancelling.

I also thought it would mirror but what I had seen was Android auto running on an android head unit. Two different things. I now have made up a tablet to do everything I want and I am running it in my present old car. I can watch the Sweeney with the adverts blocked and shout Google to open Waze and then shout at Waze to take me home😁

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#75497 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Shawn your the type of guy we need on this thread, someone who knows what all the gizmos and apps are for and which ones are any good.

We could call the thread “Shawn a light” lol.

But seriously this tech is only going to get more difficult to understand and use so dont think that people know what you are talking about with regard to tech, if you can try to explain what it is and what it does.

#75499 Reply

Dragonfly

I do need to read the manual for the car before it goes back I’ve looked everywhere for the starting handle and still can’t find it.

#75504 Reply

Philjb

The dealer should show you how it all works, I bring one of my kids who then reminds me. 😂

The only tech I like are the ones that work well and make life easier.

Some are just they’re for bling or tend to be so confusing you never use it.

I can’t stand apple car play as I find it distracting.

All I want is a good DAB radio and a sat nav that doesn’t get you lost of take you down farm tracks.

#75515 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

Shawn your the type of guy we need on this thread, someone who knows what all the gizmos and apps are for and which ones are any good. We could call the thread “Shawn a light” lol. But seriously this tech is only going to get more difficult to understand and use so dont think that people know what you are talking about with regard to tech, if you can try to explain what it is and what it does.

I am not up on new cars because I don’t have one right now. But when I got my first car with “All those dashboard lights that come on” I built myself a diagnostic laptop so I could maintain it myself. Even remapped 2 diesels with it. I am more of a get something for nowt guy than a tech guy. I see what I want then figure out a way to make or do it for nowt.😉

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#75519 Reply

Philjb

Very useful Shawn

im just an ex woodworker so wouldn’t know where to start.

I must be a weirdo as I tend to read the manual. 🤔 😂

#75523 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

If you get a new merc you have to download the “Guides” app from your chosen app store/google play etc then find the manual for your specific vehicle in there, there is a watered down version built in to the car’s own infotainment unit but it’s a bit awkward to navigate.

#75525 Reply

SaintsMan

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I like the “gizmos” that work in the background to make driving easier, the gizmos you just forget about until they are needed. Things like AEB, traction control, auto corner braking and such like.</p>
    The thing about some of these systems is that a lot of people don’t realise they can be switched off.

The other day while talking to a friend in his car, the parking sensors kept beeping, he didn’t know that there was a button to switch them off.

Traction control is great, but how many drivers switch it off in snow?

As for manuals, mine is part of the infotainment, there is no printed book, I suppose this could confuse some, as they would need a manual just to find the manual.

#75527 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Our Ford Kuga Zetec is quite basic by modern standards, but it still has too many gizmos, I can go into setting or the on screen and do all sort of things, why? I just want do drive A to B.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#75530 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Some tech is just annoying, or should I say how it’s implemented is annoying with the likes of my current car’s satnav asking me to confirm I will obey the rules of the road each and every time I turn the ignition on and my previous car and the one before that telling me “Deadlocks, check the manual” each and every time I turn the ignition off.

In the 4 years I drove my previous car I never did find what it was I was suppose to check in the manual for about the deadlocks.

#75537 Reply

Georgie

Aside from the unnecessary stuff like ‘automatic windscreen wipers’ and ‘automatic headlights’ (if you can’t see that it’s raining or getting dark, maybe you shouldn’t be driving) the ‘Safety Feature'(!) that is REALLY bugging me about my new Golf is – The ‘Front Assist/Collision Avoidance System’.

Whenever I turn onto the drive it slams on the brakes and then refuses to budge until I press the accelerator quite hard – on a 40 degree down-sloping drive that’s only 3 feet longer than the car!  It’s a tight turn that has to be done in 2 stages, but it won’t let me reverse up the slope to adjust the angle of the turn either.  Twice now I’ve almost crashed it into the garage door.  DH can’t get it down the drive safely either, even with the sensor range set to minimum (which really rather defeats the purpose of the system, right?).  His TT has a similar system but he’s never had any trouble with it.

The Universal Manual is useless – it’s all “if fitted”, “if activated”, “if available on your model”, “if available in your country” but doesn’t provide any info to say what my car actually has.  All we have managed to deduce is that I can’t turn it off.

#75539 Reply

Philjb

My log book has all the codes for optional extras paint colour etc, then another book on the pro infotainment book,

no service book.

I agree the autonomous braking can just go off? The first few times my passengers thought I was a right numpty.

Till they drove the car on B roads and the car brakes on it’s own as you turn a bend?

But on ours you can switch the system off completely.

Aparently on certain models in eco mode it turns some of the systems off.

Now if my kids were driving I would want them to turn every aid on again.

Apparently it can be saved to individual keys the car detects?

but this is what I mean by tech not helping.

I love the auto dip beam system and cornering lights, the massage seat, the heated wheel, the heated screen.

All aids every disability car should have.

Ours we can request remote health reports?

See where it’s parked on an ap, the fastest route to it?

Unlock and lock it, let the flashers off? Let the flashers and horn off? Odd one?

See the mpg since fill up, since journey started or long term.

The list of tech goes on and on.

I do like the auto tail gate and the seat drop leavers.

But I wish they’d go up again on they’re own like the ford galaxy X ( no longer on the sheme)

#75566 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Aside from the unnecessary stuff like ‘automatic windscreen wipers’ and ‘automatic headlights’ (if you can’t see that it’s raining or getting dark, maybe you shouldn’t be driving) the ‘Safety Feature'(!) that is REALLY bugging me about my new Golf is – The ‘Front Assist/Collision Avoidance System’. Whenever I turn onto the drive it slams on the brakes and then refuses to budge until I press the accelerator quite hard – on a 40 degree down-sloping drive that’s only 3 feet longer than the car! It’s a tight turn that has to be done in 2 stages, but it won’t let me reverse up the slope to adjust the angle of the turn either. Twice now I’ve almost crashed it into the garage door. DH can’t get it down the drive safely either, even with the sensor range set to minimum (which really rather defeats the purpose of the system, right?). His TT has a similar system but he’s never had any trouble with it. The Universal Manual is useless – it’s all “if fitted”, “if activated”, “if available on your model”, “if available in your country” but doesn’t provide any info to say what my car actually has. All we have managed to deduce is that I can’t turn it off.

Hi Georgie

The auto wipers are a “must have item” for me and a lot of other disabled drivers because they can be just left to do there thing without any input from the driver. If I never had auto wipers it would mean even more controls on my steering ball + remote control.

Same goes for auto lights but being auto or not doesn’t worry me because I could just turn them on before I start a journey but with the wipers, that can stop and start at anytime.

Not sure how much has changed since I had a 64 plate Golf but yes the anti collision braking can be a pain in the butt with it’s false alarms and I know I had many of them but from memory you can disabled it by a button on the end of one of the two stalks on the left-hand side of the steering wheel. The other problem with your tight manoeuvring at home could be to do with the auto hand-brake and auto hold and a way around that is to turn off auto-hold and release your seat belt as the auto hand-brake works as a standard manual HB then but you will need to learn to do hill starts again😀 , BTW my Golf had DSG box so might be different with a manual box.

#75569 Reply

Georgie

Thanks, ChrisK.

Alas, only one stalk on the l.h.s. of the wheel – indicators and headlight ‘flash’.  No helpful button. 🙁

If the drive were flat, or considerably longer, then I’d be willing to give the ‘no seat-belt, no auto-hold’ trick a go, but I’m pretty certain that on that slope I’ll just end up putting the car through the door of the garage and into the front of the car inside – all with no seat-belt on.

I’ve already got spinal damage so – not my first choice. 🙂

I have dug up a video showing how to temporarily deactivate Front Assist “in an emergency” (i.e. if it malfunctions), but for that I have to park up on the road with the the engine running, turn on the Sat-Nav/Information screen, press the ‘Car’ button, select ‘Set up’, select ‘Drivers Assistance’, select ‘Front Assist’ and then un-check the check box.

If the feature reactivates whenever I turn the engine back on (which I suspect it will), then I would have to do all this every single time before I can put the car on the drive.  It’s annoying, because otherwise the car’s great.

Ho-hum . . .  DH says he’ll take another look at it at the weekend.  Pathetically girly, but he does have a couple of decades more driving experience than I do, so fingers crossed . . .

#75577 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Auto lights and windscreen wipers are two of my must haves when considering a car.

For some reason on our XC60 the auto lights occasionally turns off. It’s a mystery.

#75579 Reply

Shawn
    Participant

I can vouch for Auto-wipers they may have saved my life.

I was on a road in Lincolnshire one cold and frosty morning when I met a lorry going the other way mid bend. Gallons of water came off his roof onto my windscreen and frightened me to death. Before I knew what was going on the wipers had cleared it whilst I was still in shock trying to figure out what was happening😲

East Yorkshire.

#75587 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The amount of “Muptards” I see(or don’t see) every evening driving around without any lights on or just their DRL’s is gobsmacking, car’s nowadays have the instrument cluster lit up as soon as the ignition is switched on so people just forget to turn their lights on even when somebody is flashing at them for 2 minutes solid!

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Too old to learn? Gizmos for cars

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: