Time to search for a new car

• Creator
    Topic
  • #165441 Reply
    Allan

Hello.

I got my Tiguan at the beginning of January 2019. So to my mind, I am due for renewal Q1 2022 (January).

As of today the, the 30th of September I have not received a letter from Motability, to say it’s time to choose a new vehicle.

Am I correct in my thinking or will my receive my renewal letter in Q1 2022.

Thanks in advance

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165443 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

You can check it online on their webpage, gives you the exact date at which you can order.

#165446 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i’d think it will come along very soon; in october. i got mine beginning of sept from a early dec 2018 last car. it might take few days past your date for anything in mail but you should get an email and it will be in your account page of their site

#165447 Reply
    Allan

Rene,

Thanks for that.

I have created an account and now, I can see that I can place an application for a new car from the 17th of October.

The way things are at the moment though I don’t think I will be looking. I payed a hefty advance payment for my Tiguan SEL, 2.0, 190 DSG diesel with a few extra’s and with Covid I feel I haven’t had the benefit of the large payment, plus I have only done about 16000 miles.

Also the current cars on the scheme don’t exactly have me running to the dealers.

So is there anywhere in my account page where I can ask to extend or do I have to phone up.

Thanks

#165451 Reply
    kbfern

I think you can extend on the Motability app, 1 yr or 2 yr extension. Once you extend you can still order a vehicle at any time during the extension period. You may not be able to extend though till nearer the end of your current lease.

#165472 Reply
    Mm5

Go for the 2 years extension

#165477 Reply
    Allan

That’s my intention to ask for a 2 year extension.

Also to keep checking for new additions (Ha) that might take my fancy.

Jaguar F Type would do.

That would have the Daily fail in stitches

Thanks for all the good advice

#166609 Reply
    Allan

Right, I have had my letter to say that I can start looking for a new car from the 17th of October. It also says that if I have done less than 15000 miles I could extend. I have done just over 18000 miles, has anyone extended who have done more miles than what was stipulated in their letter.

Also what are reasonable reasons for asking to extend.

Thanks in advance

#166610 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I don’t think they need any reason for an extension the way things are at the moment but going by what I’ve heard other say here that having made a large AP on your current car three years ago is a good enough reason and 18,000 miles is not much far out anyway.

I’ve extended by a year without even talking to anyone using the form below but had just under 15,000 due to lockdowns.

https://www.motability.co.uk/contact/request-a-lease-extension/

Just to add you can’t put the form in until 3 months before the end of lease, in your case next Sunday / Monday will be fine

• This reply was modified 4 days, 22 hours ago by ChrisK. Reason: Just adding
    #166612 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

I extended in May for 2 years with just over 21000 on the clock.

#166628 Reply
    Allan

Thanks for the reassuring comments.

#166631 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

We have just extended our daughters lease, filled in the on line form but it was not allowed as my daughter is the customer not me but made a phone call and they asked my daughter a few questions and this was accepted even though she had no idea what they were talking about.

I asked for a one year extension but was told best to do two years as we can order a new car at any time during the extension and if we only did one year it cannot be extended again, the motability operator did tell me to be aware that you need one year remaining on your PIP to order a car so if we did go the full two years then my daughter would by then have less than one year remaining so we would have to hand the car back and not be able to order another until the PIP is renewed about nine months later, so that’s something to be aware of. At no time was I asked why we wanted the extension.

#166646 Reply
    Allan

Thanks for that Marc

#166657 Reply
    Chris

I’m going to order in January I was thinking Hyundai kona electric if the AP doesn’t go up

#166760 Reply
    DaveH

2 year extension secured today, with 30k miles on the clock.  Room to manouver now. Motability were amazing.  I highly advise just talking to them, 10 minutes on online chat for me today.

#166766 Reply
    Allan

Very reassuring, DaveH

#166769 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I’m going to order in January I was thinking Hyundai kona electric if the AP doesn’t go up

Having taken 2 test drives, I would recommend the Kona. Great value at present.

#166865 Reply
    chris

i have only had one test drive but i loved it can’t wait to test it again before i order 🙂

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Time to search for a new car
Your information: