Tiguan on. Ateca off

• Creator
    Topic
  • #37607 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

If im reading things correct from the web site then the auto VW Tiguan`s have increased from 1 to 11 and the Ateca has disappeared. Prices for the VW are exceptional i think, wish i was up for renewal instead of been 6 months into a lease FFS

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #37608 Reply
    Dave

Ateca is still showing on the Motability website.

#37609 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Yeah Dave, but only in Manual guise, i always search with Auto only as that`s what i need. There were 2 on last year i think and one VW. Prices for the VW are amazing, just £2499 AP for a 35k car.

#37610 Reply
    Winston

Surely they could offer us the R line in auto and charge us the full AP

that would be a much more attractive option

and Remeber if you walked in off the street to buy a brand new Tiguan or any car you wouldn’t pay anywhere near the full asking price

#37611 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I cannot understand the pricing structure TBH, it seems all over the place.

#37613 Reply
    Kam

Winston,

I’m hoping this is what we’ll see throughout the year. Like you said, there is £1350 between that ap and the max. How much can an auto box cost?

Hopefully they’ll start doing  this sort of thing throughout the year when retail sales drop

#37621 Reply
    Winston

The auto will cost more than the £1350, probably slightly more than double to be honest – but again motability won’t pay anywhere near the full Rrp

And we are talking about disabled people here, where a high percentage will need an automatic

kinda unfair and a bit demoralising to offer a good spec model in the manual but not the auto ( in my eyes ) should at the very least have parity across the models

Im sure motability can afford after reading how much money they make..

I’m hoping this will change as the months roll by and hopefully include the slightly more powerful 184ps model

fingers crossed

#37622 Reply
    Kam

Fingers crossed. Don’t hold your breath for too long though…  😉

#37628 Reply
    Winston

The best deals by far for a similar car at present on the scheme are the higher specced X1 models – the AP being asked is very appealing , although missing diesel which is very frustrating and confusing

#37636 Reply
    Glos Guy

Quite agree. The X1 prices are sensational BUT for the wrong models! We were hoping for an X-Line Diesel Auto and would have been happy with the 18d. If we get one, we will now have to have the 2.0 petrol which has far less torque and 20mpg worse fuel economy. The Sport model (the only Diesel now available) doesn’t work for us due to the high bolsters on the seats (presumably many other disabled drivers will have the same issue). Motabilty has clearly done a great deal with BMW on the slowest selling X1 variants – but they are the slowest selling for a reason!

As for the auto pricing issue, £1,500 is about the average price differential for an auto over a manual for most cars on sale now in the UK, which is why I suspect Motability landed on that figure. Problem is that a lot of manufacturers charge slightly more (BMW X1 £1,600, Tiguan varies between £1,500 to £1,700 depending on model) so we end up with cars appearing on the scheme in manual but not auto.

Both the above issues unfortunately point clearly to the fact that Motability is NOT ensuring that the most appropriate cars for disabled drivers are appearing on the scheme. The best choice is available for those with relatively mild levels of disability. Those who have no choice but to have an auto (due to hand controls), leather seats (to aid access if have leg issues) and a big boot (for a wheelchair) get penalised by illogical allowances for autos and price caps that have no merit whatsoever when 100% of the additional leasing costs are paid for by the customer through higher AP’s.

Q1 is definitely better than what we have had in 2017, but it could be so much better if addressing the needs of disabled drivers was truly the main objective of Motability.

#37637 Reply
    Dave

Sadly it’s profit first and disability of customers second with Motability.

#37642 Reply
    Kam

I agree. Although I understand manufacturers woulndnt be able to do an auto for the same price as a manual, it should be part of the bargaining process for Motability that the manufacturer has to provide an equivalent auto for every manual for the same level of discount.

So if Inc vat they are getting 40% off the rrp, then they should be providing both and charging the difference on the ap.

I should have the same options whether I require a manual or auto. It’s not like we get the additional revenue when we return the car.

Maybe a topic for another day?  🙂

#37644 Reply
    Glos Guy

I’m certain that every manufacturer would happily supply an auto variant of any car (if one is made) for exactly the same % discount. The restricting factor is purely one that is self imposed by Motability due to the completely illogical price caps.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Tiguan on. Ateca off
Your information: