Thoughts about the Toyota Rav4

• Creator
    Topic
  • #157841 Reply
    Landyman

Although I’ve extended my lease for 2 years in the hope a larger ev coming on (but without a massive ap). But the draw of a new car on the drive is starting play on my mind.

A full EV is the way forward but my thoughts keep going to a hybrid namely the Toyota Rav4, as anybody have one, or any thoughts. I haven’t seen many posts about them

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #157861 Reply
    brydo

Landyman I’m no expert on the Rav 4 but the motability “hybrid” offering is not a PHEV so not actually an EV. The PHEV version starts at the high end of £48,000 so unlikely to make the scheme and if it does there are likely to be better BEV alternatives.

The Rav4 however is a very good option with it being a decent size and, IMPO, a bit of a looker and if you get the mid 40,s mpg, would be a very decent choice.

#157879 Reply
    Landyman

Cheers brydo. The Rav4 not being a plug in is a bit of a downer but I really do love the look with plenty of room and good spec.

A bit more fact finding is called for.

#157882 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

A dear friend has a brand new Rav 4 it’s very economical refined and well equipped very quiet too I have a CHR 1.8 hybrid picked up March 16 th very economical I’m getting 67 mpg very quiet I love it

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#157906 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Landyman – I must confess that I haven’t driven the latest hybrid version (we discounted it as we thought that the interior looked a bit cheap, plasticky and dated), but I bought my wife a brand new RAV4 2.0 GX 4WD Auto in 2002 and we absolutely loved it and kept it for 10 years. Even at 10 years old it was a joy to drive!

Reviews suggest that the economy is good and it’s spacious but they universally slate the infotainment system as being one of the worst on the market, so be sure to check that out as, if I recall correctly, you currently have a BMW which is also universally acknowledged as having the best infotainment systems, so it will be a marked contrast!

#157908 Reply
    Rich

Pretty much in the same boat as you with our X1 now over 3 years old. It’s a diesel and we’ll be doing more local driving so really wanted a PHEV but the AP is far too high for us. We did want the Outlander but there are none left so it’s been removed from the scheme.

I have been looking at the RAV4 hybrid in the design trim. I’ve also got a Lexus CT so know what driving a hybrid is like and how rubbish the infotainment is, but you can’t beat Toyota reliability. My main concern is mpg from a 2.5L engine even if it is a hybrid. The CT (1.8) does 40-45 locally depending on how you drive it! So I wouldn’t expect any more than 30-35mpg from the RAV4 in the real world.

#157909 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

My friend has the top all wheel drive and has over 300 miles on half a tank many times she says

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#157911 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Pretty much in the same boat as you with our X1 now over 3 years old. It’s a diesel and we’ll be doing more local driving so really wanted a PHEV but the AP is far too high for us. We did want the Outlander but there are none left so it’s been removed from the scheme. I have been looking at the RAV4 hybrid in the design trim. I’ve also got a Lexus CT so know what driving a hybrid is like and how rubbish the infotainment is, but you can’t beat Toyota reliability. My main concern is mpg from a 2.5L engine even if it is a hybrid. The CT (1.8) does 40-45 locally depending on how you drive it! So I wouldn’t expect any more than 30-35mpg from the RAV4 in the real world.

Honest John suggests real world economy of 47mpg on the 2WD and 50mpg with the 2WD. Reviews that I have read all say that it’s very economical when they tested it. I know that the Outlander is popular on this forum, but I read a review of PHEV’s the other day and a line in it struck me. I can’t find it now to post, but it basically said that “The Mitsubishi Outlander lead the way with PHEV’s, but all other PHEV’s on the market now are better”.

#157956 Reply
    Landyman

Menorca Mike, that’s really impressive mpg figures you are getting.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Glos Guy. I think if you have a BMW and got used to idrive infotainment system and lease any thing else other than a BMW you will compare it unfavourable. I love the idrive.</p>

#157960 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy. I think if you have a BMW and got used to idrive infotainment system and lease any thing else other than a BMW you will compare it unfavourable. I love the idrive.</p>

Very true. I’ve had quite a few BMW’s and every version of iDrive just gets better and better. I’ve tried dozens of other manufacturers systems and the only one that comes even remotely close is Audi’s MMI, although the latest Mercedes system with augmented reality sat Nav looks good (I haven’t tried it though). It’s amazing how poor some other manufacturers systems are. The one on our current VW Tiguan is hopeless, which is one of the reasons why I’ve had enough of it now!

#157962 Reply
    struth
    Participant

The infotainment system on my CHR is terrible tbh. slow as treacle in winter; pad is often unresponsive. bluetooth takes an age too. its the older 68 model and its supposedly a little better now, but my sister in law has a x3 (not on the scheme) as she used money to buy it and its excellent. One of reasons im interested in the X1

#157971 Reply
    stewart
    Participant

We’ve had our RAV4 Excel 2wd about 2 months now, for the size of engine it’s economical, we did over 600 miles on the last tank full, pencil and paper mpg worked out at 59mpg.

This is our  2nd  RAV4 and in most areas it’s an improvement over the last one. So far we have no regrets about choosing another RAV4, the boot floor on this on is flat which make it easier to put the wheelchair in.

If you want any more info on the RAV4 just ask I’ll help if I can.

#157974 Reply
    Landyman

Many thanks Stuart. I’ve arranged a dealer visit tomorrow to have a proper look.

Glos Guy, I had a X2 25E Msport 21 plate for a few days this week, so the newest idrive and I was very impressed.

#157977 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Many thanks Stuart. I’ve arranged a dealer visit tomorrow to have a proper look. Glos Guy, I had a X2 25E Msport 21 plate for a few days this week, so the newest idrive and I was very impressed.

I don’t know much about the X2 Landyman as it was too small for us, but the iDrive system in the X1 (which I suspect is the same) isn’t even the latest iDrive system. From memory I think it’s iDrive 6 whereas newer model cars (such as the 3 Series and, when it comes out next year, the all new X1) have iDrive 7. I don’t think that there’s an infotainment system available on any other Motability car that’s a patch on iDrive 6, let alone 7. The X1 still has a dated instrument cluster, but I think digital ones are a bit of a gimmick. We have an all singing and dancing digital dash in our Tiguan and once I found the settings that I liked I’ve never touched it again. The X1 instrument cluster is too small and low down for my liking though, so I’ve opted for Head-Up Display which will render it pretty much redundant. The other thing that I don’t like about many new cars (don’t know if this applies to the RAV-4) is the trend towards touch screen for everything. This was a big downer on our 2nd choice car, the Volvo XC40. They are an absolute nightmare to use when on the move. The movement of the car makes it a distracting challenge to select the right option. Systems like iDrive, where you have touch screen if you want it but a control dial (select and push) which is far easier, more accurate and safer when driving are ten times better IMO.

One thing to keep in mind with a RAV4 is that Toyota, like many manufacturers, don’t offer a range of options so that you can tailor your car to your needs and requirements.  With a few tiny exceptions, if the car doesn’t have everything you want as standard then it’s tough – take it or leave it. That being said, although the technology in the RAV4 is a bit dated, the top spec model pretty much has most things as standard.

#157984 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Glos Guy, you doing the XC40 a disservice.  You can use voice control for most things including temperature which most reviewers seem to want to ignore.

#157988 Reply
    stewart
    Participant

The big plus with few factory fitted options to choose from with Toyota is shorter delivery times, about 10 weeks in our case.

One option we thought about was the birds eye view parking camera which came with an enhanced sound system cost was about £700 I think.

We watched a couple of YouTube videos of it being used, it looked like it could be frustrating waiting for it to initialise and using it, I think it’s something you need to try for your self if it’s something you want.

Lack of options wasn’t a problem for us, the RAV4 Excel came with most things we wanted

Heating controls are knobs and buttons and the radio has some knobs too, useful to find by feel rather than looking for.

#157993 Reply
    brydo

The RAV4 is the best selling SUV in the USA not sure if they use the same spec as here but to be top of the pile in the land of the SUV they must be doing something right.

#158010 Reply
    stewart
    Participant

One other feature the RAV4 has and possibly other SUV’s too, is the inner door sill is covered by the closed door which mean back of legs and clothing stay clean in dirty weather when getting in and out of the car. A big plus for Mrs Stewart getting her legs into the car

#158027 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy, you doing the XC40 a disservice. You can use voice control for most things including temperature which most reviewers seem to want to ignore.

I’m aware of that Wigwam, but that’s a poor substitute IMO. Call me a Neanderthal, but I prefer buttons that take a split second to press, rather than searching through menus or having to issue verbal instructions to the car, which makes you look a nerd / show off in front of passengers and is irritating when you are trying to listen to the radio or have a conversation. I’m afraid that, on this subject, I am entirely in agreement with the reviewers who dislike this trend in most cars, not just the XC40. As long as voice command systems are good (like the one BMW uses) and not rubbish (like the VW system) then I like it for sat Nav input as it’s much quicker, but for everything else give me a button!

#158030 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I prefer knobs too, Brydo, and proper push buttons, but I’m afraid they are not likely to survive the accountants in everyday cars.

#158103 Reply
    Landyman

Well I’ve seen and driven a Rav4 today. I was impressed with the car in general a few things I didn’t like, only small things but annoying all the same.

I still  prefer my x1 so I’ve decided to wait and see and see if any EVs come on that suit my needs better than what’s on the scheme now.

The Toyota Rav4 is still a good car but would be a real contender if the plug in was on the scheme.

#160115 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

We’ve had our RAV4 Excel 2wd about 2 months now, for the size of engine it’s economical, we did over 600 miles on the last tank full, pencil and paper mpg worked out at 59mpg. This is our 2nd RAV4 and in most areas it’s an improvement over the last one. So far we have no regrets about choosing another RAV4, the boot floor on this on is flat which make it easier to put the wheelchair in. If you want any more info on the RAV4 just ask I’ll help if I can.

Hi stewart

The RAV4 is on my short list with everything else being taken off the scheme but having watch and read many reviews for the RAV the boot, what I can make of it, is about 40” from back seat to back door and that’s almost over the line for my 41” scooter so wonder if you can tell me if the back seats slide forward one or two inches.

One other thing some reviewers seem to think that the car will only travel a few hundred metres on electric only so making the “EV” button pointless and it being more like a Mild Hybrid and not a Full Hybrid as the latter should be able to travel a few miles in my mind so just wonder what your findings are.

I’ve made an appointment at my local Ford dealer for Monday to check out the Kuga Hybrid that Ford reckons can do about a useful 5 miles on battery only but the downer for this one is I noticed even though it does have back seats that slide forward I’ve seen a video of someone measuring the boot length and saying it’s only 34” so looks like bad news from my point of view but will know for sure Monday.

#160125 Reply
    stewart
    Participant

Hi ChrisK, sorry back seat does not slide, distance from back seat to rear door is around 38 inches. Top of back seat to back door is around 32 inches.

With the Toyota hybrid it’s not all about how far in ev mode.

Only time I use the EV button is when manoeuvring on drive (to save engine starting)

In slow traffic it automatically uses ev if sufficient charge in the battery.

On a flattish bit of road where you would normally use light throttle to maintain speed ev will come in at speeds up to about 60mph.

When you start to slow down, if you ease off the power to the point ev kicks in ice will stop enabling a gradual slow down without using petrol.

All the miles in ev add to the overall fuel consumptions, last tank of petrol 619 miles 10.4 gall to fill not bad for 2.5lt engine

#160139 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Thanks for that info stewart.

With the 38″ boot its another one to add to the also ran list, the 38 mark seems to be what most SUV’s aim for.

Thanks once again.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Thoughts about the Toyota Rav4
Your information: