Things you don’t like about your car!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #159883 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Volvo xc40:-

Fuel consumption – drinks 🍺 like a fish

Agricultural brakes – stops when it wants to, not when I want.

intermittent indicators – on-off-on-still on-off-still off-on

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #159945 Reply
    Georgie

mk 7.5 VW Golf GT – electronic brakes get progressively more ‘grabby’/don’t release cleanly.  Had to take it back twice in 2 years for resetting.  Pressing and releasing the brake pedal before pulling away for the first time from cold sometimes helps, but it ain’t great.

Over-sensitive Collision Warning system: last time I was driving it the alarm triggered when a car in the opposite lane perfectly safely pulled and and overtook the car in front over half a mile ahead of me on a dead straight road.  Also triggered by several local Victorian railway bridges (I think it’s the expanses of brick bolstering the embankments), 90 degree bends on country roads, and the bush by the side of the drive.  However, it totally ignored a stationary tractor in the middle of the road last week.

Dismal colour (sort of Thundercloud grey metallic) but was the best from a bad range.

Good points – Reliable.  Comfortable if firm seats and suspension.  Solid, if unexciting, performance (not as brisk as I expected).  Handles well.

#159946 Reply
    AlanBang
    Participant

Stop Start technology….cant stand it.   Curbing emissions is a good thing, but  the technology in practice it’s really annoying! Whether it’s the implementation by Ford or just my lack of patience, its a bug bear that I can only deactivate on each journey (if I remember before it cuts out!)

#159947 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

AlanBang, we turned it off too on our previous Qashqai diesel. The restart was just too harsh and sometimes too slow.  On our X1 petrol, it’s totally different, unobtrusive and prompt.  So much depending on the car.  Mild hybrids deal with stop/start differently, so in time the problem will no longer exist.

#159950 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Ateca Xcellence Lux (2020) 1.5tsi petrol manual

ACC system (as mentioned for VW’s) hammers the brakes on for no reason and being manual can stall the car.

Absolutely useless in even light snow, no traction at all (19″ wheels) it’s so bad I won’t drive it if it snows.

Fuel consumption, my previous brick shaped Yeti did better.

Other than that it’s just bland, there’s nothing about it that makes me want to get in and drive it, it’s a tool to do a job and that’s all.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#159952 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

My KIA Carens, trim level 3 has been almost first class except it’s two second auto-hold as it really let’s the car down.

The later model fixed that problem but before its launch was discontinued by KIA like many other MPV’s in favour of SUV’s.😐

#159963 Reply
    John

<p style=”text-align: left;”>69 plate BMW X2 Sport 2.0 xdrive</p>
    seatbelt does not adjust and keeps catching my neck.

steering wheel not fully adjustable.

Slightest touch of foot break and car breaks too hard.

horrible ride,upgraded to 19” wheels and I feel every pothole.

very jerky to drive .

centre console creaks and cracks while I’m sitting waiting on my wife doing the shopping.

electrics packed in after 8 months old.

no wheel lock alloy key supplied,had to contact dealer.

another 18 months of this before I gladly return it,I might return it before contracts up.

I was spoiled with having Volvos on scheme for years ,XC90,V70 and XC60.

#159966 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

BMW 320i. Like every recent BMW made, the lack of seatbelt adjustment. Other than that it’s been perfect.

#159973 Reply
    VikingUK
    Participant

Almost 3 years in with a Skoda Karoq SE L 1.6tdi DSG. Love it but could do with a bigger glove box lol. Would go with it again if it returns in time.

#159979 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Ateca Xcellence Lux (2020) 1.5tsi petrol manual ACC system (as mentioned for VW’s) hammers the brakes on for no reason and being manual can stall the car. Absolutely useless in even light snow, no traction at all (19″ wheels) it’s so bad I won’t drive it if it snows. Fuel consumption, my previous brick shaped Yeti did better. Other than that it’s just bland, there’s nothing about it that makes me want to get in and drive it, it’s a tool to do a job and that’s all.

That last comment was exactly how I felt about the Tiguan. Functional but bland. Did the job, but others do it better. I didn’t list the positives (there were some 😂) as the thread was about what we don’t like, not what we do but, out of interest, is your Ateca 4WD? The Tiguan was 4WD and was brilliant in snow. It had a ‘snow’ mode on the selector which might have helped, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was (also on 19” wheels).

#159980 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

On the Ateca, AWd is only on the 2.0 variant in both petrol and diesel.

#159992 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Toyota chr hybrid. 12v battery too small for job. if you dont run car for about 20 miles every 3 days its inclined to pack up(mostly in winter)

Other than that is a very good car i guess. but new ones are now too dear..

Oh its only 2wd but is excellent in snow

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by struth.
    #160016 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Peugeot e-2008 GT

12V lead acid french fossil technology is very, er, french (doesn’t always work as you’d expect really), but if you add a few LiFePO4 cells in parallel it suddenly sorts the issues out. The problem is with the 12V battery state of charge, in a fossil car it always tops up when you drive it, but on an EV it’s not always the case & is a problem on most EVs until they stop thinking in fossil terms.

Dealer’s mechanics haven’t got a clue when it comes to EVs.

So, there are problems with EVs too, but it’s more a problem with the whole fossil industry.

As for the car itself, another problem is that it’s simply not possible to stop smiling when driving it, even after having it over a year.

#160024 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

@GlosGuy – No, it’s the 2WD, it really is absolutely useless!, the Yeti (2WD) wasn’t great but did manage.

I had a 2WD diesel Kuga and that was a lot better.  Before that I had a diesel Honda CRV, great in the snow and the auto 4WD hardly ever came on, it didn’t need it.  All the cars were manual.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#160035 Reply
    Adrian

Agreeing with all the stop / start comments, 4wd auto diesel Kuga here. Sometimes the restart is so harsh my wife thinks we’ve been shunted from behind. It really, really is that bad

And slow and unpredictable too – I read someone in the forum had praised the s/s on the same model for being so unobtrusive and I thought “are you living in an alternate universe?”

I’ve got my foot on the brake but lightly so the engine doesn’t cut out, waiting for a gap in the traffic, see a gap after a minute of waiting, ease up on the brake to start edging forward and… the chuffing engine STOPS!! What the heck? Awful awful awful

#160042 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Aha, yes, the S/S, didn’t really think about that as I’ve turned it off every time I used the past two cars & 6 years of driving. Both cars  stop-start too hesitant and clumsy, especially at roundabouts.

No longer going to be an issue for me when I pick up the new EV on Friday.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#160044 Reply
    struth
    Participant

the chr is hybrid so although the engine cuts in/out etc its totally seemless and you neither hear or feel it. afaik the traction battery does it all as there is no starter motor, but it is superbly smooth however they do it.

#160059 Reply
    Georgie

I agree that the stop-start issues seem to vary by make – the one of the Golf is certainly seamless.

Golf Collision warning had a new trick this morning: driving to Guildford at c. 70mph along a fairly quiet A31 and the car in front (a good chunk ahead at that speed) indicates that it’s leaving at the next exit and then, without slowing down, moves to the left as it enters the slip-road – at which point the Collision Warning system in my car has hysterics.

#160108 Reply
    Ian

Bmw I3s love the car but I would like it to have 50 miles more range on a full charge.

#160109 Reply
    Shaine

We handed our XC40 b4 inscription pro back last month, combination of reasons involved that weren’t solely down to the car but I don’t miss it at all! The brakes were awful and the gearbox dim witted at best, fuel consumption was as I expected to be fair but the whole package was not good enough in my opinion for a £40k plus car. Lovely to look at, not up to par to drive. When I test drove the car it was the T4 and not b4 as they weren’t released at that point. They drive quite differently in my opinion. We have not replaced the car with anything else.

#160111 Reply
    Gel
    Participant

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid

Too many bings and bongs, other than that it’s a brilliant all rounder.

#160114 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Shaine have you left the scheme then?

#160116 Reply
    Shaine

Hi Brydo, no we still have our Mini Clubman cooper S on the scheme. I know it probably seems ungrateful when I read back my comments, however there is a not insignificant sum of money being exchanged for the use of these cars and I didn’t feel the Volvo was worth it unfortunately.

#160117 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

We have the xc40 Shaine and apart from a few niggles I am reasonably happy with it but any car we choose must work for us and if it doesn’t then changing is the answer.

Are you looking at anything else?

#160126 Reply
    Karl

MG HS MANUAL EXCLUISIVE

Apart from the fuel consumption 35 around town 42 on a run,

Electronic parking brake, even our 6 year old Renault knows to apply the parking brake when you switch of the engine, had a few rolling moments,

Why no tint to the rear windows,

Blind Spot Detection, why is it so small and past the eye line of the mirror when there is a perfectly good place in front of the mirror eye line for it,

Rear view mirror, very big and low , sometimes need to duck to look past it,

Otherwise I think its a very overlooked car on the scheme, I wouldn’t buy one not yet anyway, but as a lease with worry free motoring its very adequate at a very low AP, i know the 2.0L AWD is now out but a fully electric decent range version would be a real winner.

#160129 Reply
    Tim

Any software issues? Tiguan Elegance has a fair few of them, ranging from buggy CarPlay support to lack of clock update when the radio is off, it remains static.

I heard one of the MG  evicted was plagued with bugs, did they get resolved?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
Reply To: Things you don’t like about your car!
Your information: