The Search Begins!

• Creator
    Topic
    Glos Guy
    Participant

As mentioned on the lease extensions thread, our new car order window opens in 4 weeks time. We currently have a 2021 BMW X1 2.0i petrol auto 4WD X-Line, which has been the best car that we’ve had on Motability (after a succession of VW Tiguans). Other than the lack of AutoHold and slightly excessive road noise on coarse surfaces, it’s been nigh on perfect. I’m not a huge fan of lease extensions (but will consider some extension in this case) and I’m open to leaving the scheme and buying privately if we can’t find anything suitable. We would ideally like another petrol car, second choice would be a PHEV and last choice would be an EV. We don’t want a diesel.

Today, after a nice lunch in Cheltenham, we spent some time at the massive 2 storey Cotswold BMW dealership that only opened a couple of years ago. My first choice manufacturer would be BMW (having had loads of different cars and driven hundreds of others they are my preferred make by some margin) and we went with the intention of looking at 6 different cars. Sadly, we had to rule out 5 of them.

1) BMW 225e Grand Tourer M-Sport PHEV (currently on Motability). I’m afraid that we discounted this on looks alone. MPVs just don’t do it for us. My late Dad had an MPV and as Jeremy Clarkson says, MPVs are for old people who’ve given up on liking cars (which, in fairness, was my Dad! Neither of us liked the look of it and I know I’d regret getting one. The boot may also be a bit too small for the wheelchair, but we didn’t get that far.

2) BMW X2. Not yet on Motability, but I reckon that the iX2 is very likely to join the scheme fairly soon. We ruled this out as the rear passenger compartment is far too difficult to get in and out of due to the sloped roof. I’m 6ft 2 and in all honesty it was a real challenge getting in and out. I had to bend my head right down on to my chest to get in and out and it was uncomfortable doing so. I would concur with the reviews I have read on the X2 that, other than looks, it is compromised against the better packaged X1 / iX1.

3) BMW i4 (on Motability). They had a green Sport e35 which we thought looked lovely (the green looked fabulous under the showroom lights). The boot was big enough for the wheelchair, but as the rear of the car is sloped there wasn’t much space left. Getting in and out of the back seats was also a bit of a challenge due to the sloped roofline, but less difficult than the X2. We ended up dismissing it for 2 reasons. First and foremost, with the lower seating position my wife really struggled getting out of it, as she had to pull herself up more than she does from an SUV, and this was a major problem for her. The other reason was that we felt that the car seemed claustrophobic inside. Forward and rear visibility through the comparatively shallow windscreen and rear window felt very restricted compared to what we are used to. The windscreen almost felt as though the sun blinds were down (they weren’t). Shame as we both really liked the look of it, but it’s just not practical for either of us.

4) BMW 3 Series Touring. When the 330e M-Sport Touring came on to Motability a few months ago, it was the first addition to excite me in several years. I had already established the biggest negative with this car, when I’d worked out the cost of all the options that I’d want to add (which makes it ludicrously expensive for a lease car, especially when added to the £12,000 sacrificed benefits). Whilst it wasn’t as claustrophobic as the i4, my wife really struggled getting out of it so, whilst we liked it, we had to eliminate it.

5) BMW X5. This would obviously be a private purchase, probably a 3 year old one as I just can’t bring myself to part with £70k for a car. Much as I’d love one, and as a car it left all the others in the shade, it was impractical for two reasons. Whereas the i4 and 3 Series were too low for my wife to get out of, the X5 was too high for her to get in to. Also, the side sills on M-Sport models protrude and were problematic for my wife as they make it a bigger gap to reach the seat and also result in soiling your legs from road dirt. Finally, the daft split tailgate would be a nightmare getting the wheelchair in and out of the boot, involving too much of a stretch (not good for my back). Alas, I don’t think I’ll ever get my X5 ?

6) BMW iX1. They didn’t have an iX1 in the showroom but they had an identical petrol X1. This was the easiest car for my wife to get in and out of (no doubt because it’s closest to our current car), but it was also the easiest for me. The boot is fine for the wheelchair and, other than the bigger X5, it was the best car for visibility. I don’t like the fact that the iDrive rotary dial has gone, but at least they have fitted AutoHold on the new model. Almost 3 years on, it’s the one thing on our current X1 that still irritates me (as it doesn’t have it). This ended up being the best car for both of us, but unfortunately only the iX1 EV is on Motability at present. I had an iX1 30e X-Line for a day last year and didn’t like it anywhere near as much as our petrol X1. Ideally I’d like to see the petrol X1 on the scheme, but with how Motabilty is going, I suspect that it won’t. However, there are now two X1 PHEV models so, with the more expensive 330e having joined the scheme, I am hoping that one of them might join next quarter. However, there’s no EV equivalent of the 3 Series Touring, whereas BMW will want to use Motability to get their EV numbers up so will want to shift the iX1 as a priority.

So, as far as BMW goes, if we stay with Motability we will hope for the X1 PHEV and if that doesn’t happen, and we don’t find a better car from another manufacturer, we may end up having to go for an iX1 20e M-Sport, which you can get through Motability with the tech pack and M-Sport Pro packs included. I’d considered an X3 as a private purchase, but it’s no bigger inside than the new X1/iX1 so that doesn’t really make sense. So, in some respects, a frustrating day, but at least it’s helped narrow the BMW choice down to one car.

Next steps are to look at the Hyundai Tucson Ultimate PHEV (not sure I want to spend that much for a Hyundai though) and the Mazda CX-60, although I’ll wait to see if that’s still on the list in Q2 before making a trip as there isn’t a Mazda dealer anywhere near us. My wife has a prejudice against all French cars (?) and isn’t at all keen on a Skoda, even though I think they make some excellent cars now. The new Kuga won’t be any good as the Vignale is discontinued and you can’t get leather trim on the ST-Line X (she needs leather or faux leather to slide around on the seat). The new VW Tiguan still doesn’t have leather unless you pay over £2k which is outrageous (no faux leather option).

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 150 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

@wmcforum

The thread is playing up, in that I can only see GG’s opening comment. Similar to that reported before on other threads 🙂

Glos Guy
        Participant

Hi @kezo We didn’t have thunder or lightening as far as we were aware, but we had rain. It was an odd one, as on 3 occasions over 2 days we lost all power in the extension. None of the trip switches on the consumer unit had tripped, but the mini circuit breaker in the meter cupboard had, taking out all power to the extension but not the original house. On the first two occasions I flicked that switch back up and all was Ok – until the next time. The third time there was a bang and a flash as I flicked the MCB back on and it took out the main 60 amp incoming fuse. The chap from Western Power Distribution said that it was probably very old (we’ve been here 20 years and it’s never been changed) and a run of these issues had killed it off.

Our electrician said that one of the 3 aspects that he tested on the main power lead to the extension consumer unit was too low (insulation? 0.18M ??) which is not ideal but wouldn’t cause the power to trip. We are now wondering if it’s an outdoor security light, as all power outages have happened in the dark. Maybe water is getting in to it? If it happens again he’s suggested I switch it off and see if that stops the problem. If so, we know what the cause is. Same approach with the power going out to the shed. Other than that we are at a loss. He changed the MCB fuse from 30 to 32 amp because the fuse / switch for the sockets on the consumer board is 32 amp and the chap last night said that ideally the MCB should have at least the same capacity as the highest fuse on the board? It’s starting to get dark now so we’ll see what happens. I’m going to go outside and set the security light off, but it’s not raining at present. It’s all a bloody nightmare TBH.

As for the best place for an EV charger, my electrician said the same as you, in that the best and easiest route is to have it supplied from the main fuse box and channelled into the wall immediately outside. Not keen on that though. We have a very large garage which I park in and I can get the wheelchair alongside the car in there and wheel my wife in and out of the house to and from the car from there, all under cover, so having to then move the car back outside to charge on the driveway would be a faff. As I don’t have a strong yearning for an EV I don’t feel inclined to incur the added inconvenience and hassle in order to save money, especially when there are other issues about EV ownership that concern me.

Probably wise advise re the facelifted Tucson, although I’ll be tempted test the current one if it’s offered and then have another test on the facelift once in stock!

kezo
          Participant

Our electrician said that one of the 3 aspects that he tested on the main power lead to the extension consumer unit was too low (insulation? 0.18M ??) which is not ideal but wouldn’t cause the power to trip.

He is testing the insulation resistance of the supply, which is refered to the current leakage of the insulation material covering the copper conductors. The test is carried out by putting 500V DC into the supply by connecting the meter between the Live conductor and CPC (earth) and Neutral conductor and CPC. The test can be carried out on every circuit.

A reading below 1 Mega (M) Ohme indicates a fault condition, which relates to what you have given the a reading of 0.18 M Ohme.

The Wylex MCB you have replaced in the meter box, is highly likely given its age, to be one of the old SK one’s, which had a rating of 3kA where as the new one will have a rating of 6kA. If that’s the case, having a low insulation resitance reading, could have tripped it, as its seeing a fault condition. However, it may not trip the new one given its higher rating and depending on the fault condition. I’ll await the outcome tomorrow!

If the flood lights are a suspect, I would be carrying out checks on that circuit along with an IR test with the circuit Neutral disconnected from the board/consumer unit. In a similar way the same with the supply, as it would isolate any problems, that maybe caused by other circuits and give a true reading of the supply cable. From there each other circuit.

Going back a few years, I visited a barn conversion numerous times and each time it was mice nibbling at the cable, which caused fault conditions but much worse than yours.

Keep me updated 🙂

kezo
            Participant

Any more power outages?

Glos Guy
              Participant

Any more power outages?

I’m afraid so @kezo

The power for the extension tripped out again during the night after the electricians visit. As before, it took out the MCB in the meter cupboard that supplies the extension, rather than the consumer unit in the extension. As discussed with the electrician, I switched the power off to the security light (which we both speculated might be the cause). We then went 32 hours with no cuts but at 9am this morning it went again. It was dry and sunny with no rain and this is the first time that it’s gone off in daylight. I’ve now switched off the power to the shed as well, trying to eliminate the cause. If that doesn’t work I’m at a loss, as it’s tripping when nothing is being used.

kezo
                Participant

@Glos-Guy

Its sounds as if you have an L-N overload earth fault between earth and live or short circuit somewhere.

I would turn off the MCB for the extension sockets at the consumer unit when you go bed and leave them turned off for as long as you can the folling morning.

If trips again, Turn all the MCB’s off at the consumer unit the following night untill as late as you can in the morning.

If trips the next morning with all the MCB’s off, its likely a fault with the cable supplying the extension consumer unit, especially given your electrician reported below 1 mega Ohme on the supply cable.

I would give each test a fair chance of detecting the issue and run each one over 2 consecutive nights untill say 10am the following morning.

My guss is you have an appliance becoming faulty (fridge/freezer for example) especially if the extension is your kitchen. Or it, is indeed the supply cable to the extension consumer unit, especially given the MCB is new in the meter box, so won’t be as weak in operating, along with the new MCB having a rating of 6kA compared to your older one which was most likely a SK series 3kA rating, which by design has a lower rating than the new one and would trip before the new one – if that makes sense.

Glos Guy
                  Participant

@kezo I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your help with this. It’s really stressing me out, especially as it’s coincided with a period when my wife’s health has taken a marked turn for the worse. Her rise and recline chair is in the extension and if the power trips when I am out she wouldn’t be able to get out of the chair to get to the toilet. I’m having to help her at the moment, even with it working.

Can I play back what you are saying in my simple terms, to check that I have understood what you are suggesting? Firstly, to clarify, the fuse that is tripping is the Wylex MCB in the meter cupboard, which supplies the power to the consumer unit in the extension. Whatever is causing the problem isn’t tripping any switches on the consumer unit, just going straight to this one in the meter cupboard.

The electrician swapped the old 30 amp plug in fuse on the Wylex unit for a 32 amp fuse, but that was another old one that he had with him, not a new one.

The consumer unit in the extension has four separate switches. Sockets, First floor lights, ground floor lights, and oven. The kitchen isn’t in the extension, so the oven is the only kitchen appliance that takes a feed off that consumer unit. All other kitchen appliances, including the fridge freezer, come off the main house consumer unit. Things that ultimately come off the extension consumer board include washing machine, tumble drier, 2 x electric garage doors, security light (currently turned off), shed power (currently turned off), master bedroom sockets (just used for bedside lamps, clock radio, phone, hairdryer), under floor heating and.heated towel rail in en-suite wetroom, TV, Sky Box, Blu-Ray player and Sound Bar in the rear living room, along with 2 electric chairs and a multi socket extension lead that we use to charge all our technology.

I think you are suggesting turning off the sockets switch on the extension consumer unit first overnight and then if it still trips turn off the lights switches and oven as well? I might try the oven first, as that would be less disruptive and I know that the oven can trip the electric even when a light bulb goes. I can’t remember now, but it may have even tripped the MCB on the Wylex unit when that happened some years ago. The oven is working fine though and it’s used often and hasn’t tripped when in use.

First question – do you think it would be wise to replace that Wylex unit regardless (new unit, new fuse)? It’s probably 20 years old minimum. The electrician mentioned this as one of several options. Could that stop the problem if it was a newer unit?

Secondly, we are away on holiday for 2 weeks in 3 weeks time. I could switch off the consumer unit completely in the extension whilst we are away. Presumably, if the MCB in the meter cupboard trips during that 2 weeks would we then know for certain that it’s the cable linking the two? Could that indicate anything but that? Can any damage be done if between now and then it trips every day or two and I just flick the switch back up?

Photos below of the Wylex unit in the meter box and the consumer unit in the extension. Thanks again Kezo. You’re a star 👍

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Glos Guy.
                    kezo
                    Participant

I think you are suggesting turning off the sockets switch on the extension consumer unit first overnight and then if it still trips turn off the lights switches and oven as well?

Yes, turn the sockets MCB off and if it still trips turn all four MCB’s off in the consumer unit.  You can do each circuit individually and test, as you have suggested with the oven first. and then follow above.

However its normally the heating elements in the oven/hob that cause faults when the oven is on. Its worth a try though given your in this position.

Answer to your first question – Whils’t a new MCB will cost circa £20, the Wylex fuse box is old and long superceeded. My recomendation would be to install a new unit unit, with either a main switch or MCB.

If you felt confident with instructions, for the sake of around £20 you could replace the MCB for now. Its bad enough trying to remedy a fault if a new MCB is faulty (unlikely) Its 20 times worse with an old one, that were not sure about or has being correctly tested as good!

Answer to your second question – technically that is an excellent idea, my only caveat is, I/we don’t know whether the supply cable is at fault nor the extent of the fault and I would be happier for you to turn the Wylex MCB off whils’t your away, to be on safe side. Hopefully we can sort it by then but, the ultimate decision is yours.

Can you measure the flat (width) of the grey cable going into the Wylex unit, along with the estimated length of cable to the extension consumer unit?

I’ll be honest with you from where I’m thinking from a distance. I under the oppinion there is a fault or loose connection with the supply cable going to the extension. The reasons I say that is:

1 – The insulation resitance, I interpretated as 0.18 Mega Ohme  (insulation? 0.18M ??) IMO anything under 1 mega ohme is potentially a fault condition.

2 – If an appliance or electronic item developed a fault, you would typically expect the MCB relating to the corresponding circuit would trip in the extension consumer unit or the RCD depending on the fault and not the supply fuse (Wylex MCB).

3 – A loose connection, which hopefully your electrician checked!

Do you know if your electrician did the insulation test before or after the RCD in the extension and was the power on or off when he did it?

Pitty you don’t live local rather than using 2nd judgement 🙂

kezo
                      Participant

P.S if possible turn the electric towel rail off 🙂

Glos Guy
                        Participant

@kezo The grey flat cable coming out of the bottom of the Wylex box is approx 13mm wide and the consumer unit in the extension is  approximately 32 feet from it.

The Wylex box MCB tripped again this afternoon, so I’ve now got the oven MCB switched off on the extension consumer unit and will leave it off other than when I use the oven to see if it’s that. I guess if it still trips then I can eliminate the oven and leave it switched on again?

kezo
                          Participant

Thanks for that, I’ll do some calculations tomorrow with the measurements you gave 🙂

Yes, its a process of eliminataion and I guess it rules out the most convenient with the cooker. What will be an interesting one though if your able, is if they are all turned off overnight and its tripped by next morning, but carry on as you are for now testing individual circuits.

What ever it is, its an intermitant fault, going from tripping the Wylex MCB overnight, to in the day. The question is, as it time shifted to fault during the day since the MCB was changed or manifesting to day and night. Perhaps something you can keep a record of!

Glos Guy
                            Participant

Thanks for that, I’ll do some calculations tomorrow with the measurements you gave 🙂 Yes, its a process of eliminataion and I guess it rules out the most convenient with the cooker. What will be an interesting one though if your able, is if they are all turned off overnight and its tripped by next morning, but carry on as you are for now testing individual circuits. What ever it is, it’s an intermitant fault, going from tripping the Wylex MCB overnight, to in the day. The question is, as it time shifted to fault during the day since the MCB was changed or manifesting to day and night. Perhaps something you can keep a record of!

I’m keeping a log of when it’s tripping and what I’m switching off each time. Tripped again early this morning, so presumably it’s not the oven. I’ve now switched off the underfloor heating, washing machine and tumble drier as I can do without those for a while. If it trips again, my next plan is to switch off the power to the TV / Sky / BluRay and Sound Bar overnight as they are always on standby. I’ve ordered a battery lamp for the bedroom so that when I’ve eliminated all the obvious power sources I can do as you suggested and switch off the main switch on the extension consumer unit overnight to see if it still trips.

Regardless of whether we find a specific appliance causing it or not, I think it might be best to replace the Wylex Box and MCB with a new model. As you say, a new one might be less sensitive. Hopefully our electrician can do that before our holiday. Is there a specification we should ask for? You’d mentioned something about 6kA but I don’t know what that means.

Whilst we are on holiday I can then switch off the extension consumer unit and then if the new box in the meter cupboard still trips during the time we are away presumably the only option then left is to replace the main cable powering the consumer unit? My biggest worry is that we go to all that expense and disruption and we still have the problem!

kezo
                              Participant

I’ve ordered a battery lamp for the bedroom so that when I’ve eliminated all the obvious power sources I can do as you suggested and switch off the main switch on the extension consumer unit overnight to see if it still trips.

I would switch the four MCB’s off in the extension consumer unit and leave the RCD on!

I agree changing Wylex unit is a good idea. Whils’t the old Wylex boards are not illegal they are long overdue a replacement and would be marked as C1 (improvement recommended) on EICR (electrics condition report). However this is widely open for debate and not of any real concern here.

However what is somewhat concerning me is a load imbalance between the Wylex unit and extension unit and this could be the reason why your problems have started manifesting all of a sudden:

Firstly let me explain kA. The kA rating seen on MCB’s, MCCB’s and RCD’s (protective device’s) refers to the maximum current a protective device can interupt in the event of a short circuit. If the current exceeds the rated value of the protective device could be damaged.

In english – Protective devices have a ultimate breaking capacity. This is the maximum current the protective device can safely interrupt during a short circuit. At this stage the protecive device is broke and cannot be reused or at the very least becomes weak and rendered inoperable and if not replaced, can cause frequent nusance tripping!

There is also what is known as a service breaking capacity, which refers to the maximum current the protective device can interupt and still be useable.

The most common rating used in domestic prperties is 6kA, with kA meaning kiloamp 0r 1,000, so a 6kA MCB or other protective device has a ultimate breaking capacity of 6,000 Amps, so is rendered inuseable, if a short circuit is 6,000 Amps or above. The 3kA MCB in the Wylex board would be deemed inusable, if a short circuit was 3,000 Amps or above.

After you have absorbed that, I will carry on explaining the imbalance between the Wylex and extension units and why may be the problem. Firstly I need to nip to the corner shop 🙂

vinalspin
                                Participant

Probably won’t help any but see if you can get that Wylex carbon dated 😂

kezo
                                  Participant

To try and explain easily, why you have a load inbalance between the Wylex and extension consumer units (CU’s)

The Extension Consumer unit has a  63A 30mA RCD rated at 6kA (6,000 Amps) along with 4 BS60898 MCB’s also rated at 6kA.

The Wylex unit has a BS3036 32A MCB rated at 3kA (3,000 Amps). So not only is there an inbalance, 3kA maynot be strong enough to withstand possible fault currents and relying on the then cut-out fuse, to absorb the energy coming through. In other words it may be seeing a fault that doesn’t necessarily exist and there is no telling the MCB hasn’t been damaged or weakened with the amount of trips.

There is also be the possibility there could also be sudden and random surges from an external influence, such as from the substation transformer and the 3kA wylex MCB just want cut it.

So its perhaps a good idea replacing the Wylex unit now with a modern 3 module consumer unit with a 63S main switch and 32A MCB it will be rated at 6kA as the extension consumer unit and main house consumer unit and see how it goes from there.

Your electrician could do a prospective fault current test at the extension consumer unit with power on. This basically tests in the event of a eath fault between live and earth and short circuit fault between live and nuetral. The result will likely be a few thousands Amps and probably more than 3000A the Wylex MCB is rated at and a earth loop impedance test (they don’t take long to do)

Because the Wylex unit replacement is supplying your extension consumer unit, it might be benificial Type C MCB rather than a Type B due to the higher load of the extension consumer unit. It worth a discussion with your electrician.

We’ll move on from this point once the Wylex unit has being replaced. However carry on with current testing regime and keep me updated after each one 🙂

If your not sure of anything please ask!

Glos Guy
                                    Participant

Thanks very much @kezo I can’t say that I understand it all, but I think I get the gist of most of it, and you have kindly given me some great info to discuss with my electrician.

The heated towel rail is off (it powered off when I switched the under floor heating off), along with the washing machine and tumble drier. I’ve left the security light and shed off as I don’t need them on, but I’ve put the oven switch back on as I think we’ve ruled that out as the electric tripped this morning when the MCB for the oven was off. No more outages since I got up at 7am and flicked the Wylex MCB back on, but we can go as long as 32 hours between trips.

I’m continuing with the experiments, but will ask the electrician to replace the Wylex box with a setup that you describe (assuming it will fit in the meter box). The time that the main incoming 60 amp fuse failed (taking out the whole house) the MCB on the Wylex sparked and banged when I flicked it on, so I”m guessing it’s not in the best health, albeit the tripping problem had happened twice before that. I’ll keep you posted.

P.S. I appreciate that all this conversation about my electrical woes is off topic and of zero interest to anybody else, but I promise to get the thread back on track once I get my next test drive sorted. Please just ignore in the meantime!

kezo
                                      Participant

A small 4 module, 2 useable ways consumer unit are about 185m (h) x 130mm (w)

A 3 module 1 useable way shower consumer unit, similar to the existing Wylex would be smaller but, you would have to swop out the RCD to a 63A main switch.

I can’t see a problem in one fitting.

Glos Guy
                                        Participant

Morning @kezo As this electrical issue is dragging on and on (the power tripped again last night) I shall open a separate thread in the ‘Off Topic’ section, leaving this thread to sit dormant until I can bring it back on topic. Thanks.

kmb786
                                          Participant

It’s been around a week since we ordered the Bz4x Vision AWD (Pan roof) in Precious Metal or Silver.

The dealer is still trying to get hold of this model as he was saying only the new MY24 Motion model is for factory order only.

Has anyone else come across this issue and does this mean that they are trying to find my model from the current UK stock availability.

Thanks

vinalspin
                                            Participant

TBH I was quite interested in the ongoing saga with the power woes, my jest at the age of the wylex was basically saying it needed replacing but I knew Kezo was on the job so left it at that.

I’ll have a peek “off topic” to keep up but good luck with it all.

A lot of hassle and not even at the EV stage yet (if at all) 😒

kezo
                                              Participant

TBH I was quite interested in the ongoing saga with the power woes, my jest at the age of the wylex was basically saying it needed replacing but I knew Kezo was on the job so left it at that. I’ll have a peek “off topic” to keep up but good luck with it all. A lot of hassle and not even at the EV stage yet (if at all) 😒

It’s a challenging one that’s for sure, especially from a distant computer screen!

Glos Guy
                                                Participant

@vinalspin I’ve always had concerns that the Heath Robinson nature of our house could present problems when it came to an EV charger. Even before these latest power outages, it became apparent that a charger installation would be very disruptive and unsightly, but I think I’d be even more concerned now given that the outages are coming from the end of the house where the garage is. In fact, I’m now wondering if even PHEV might be a risk, even though I’d only charge from a 3-pin socket! Might be easier to stick with a petrol car, if only a decent one was available! I’m just so relieved that Motability agreed to a 2 year extension as at least the pressure is off for the time being.

kezo
                                                  Participant

I’m now wondering if even PHEV might be a risk, even though I’d only charge from a 3-pin socket! Might be easier to stick with a petrol car, if only a decent one was available! I’m just so relieved that Motability agreed to a 2 year extension as at least the pressure is off for the time being.

Once the problem is sorted, I can’t see a problem using a granny charger overnight or when demand is low on the extension consumer unit.

vinalspin
                                                    Participant

@Glos Guy

I feel your pain, built an extension on the house 20 years ago (about 90% increase in size) and foolishly got an friends friend sparky in to install the new circuits and mate it up to the old part of the house.

After 15 years of “electrical gremlins” I decided to get the whole thing rewired (at some considerable cost), that got me a new metal 21 split board and a whole host of new problems.

Last year I finally caved and seeing as the place was due to be redecorated I decided to replace all the wiring apart from the 2 SWA cables that lower the outside and summer house.

To my surprise (can’t find a tongue in cheek emoji) all the new wiring wasn’t done in the latest edition cable and the old house wiring had about 30% of the original cable still in place!

I was fuming but the company is no more so no recourse there, just got on and changed everything for new and included a fresh ring + mcb for the aircon in the bedroom I’ve been after.

All done now and not had a single issue, Got it inspected and signed off inc a lovely cool bedroom.

Sorry for the ramble but I’m sure it was an imbalance between the old and new (bit like yours) that was causing all the problems?!

Participant

Look at kia sportage gts just test drive you will love it ,so many choosing sportage ,me too.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 150 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.