The Search Begins!

• Creator
    Topic
    Glos Guy
    Participant

As mentioned on the lease extensions thread, our new car order window opens in 4 weeks time. We currently have a 2021 BMW X1 2.0i petrol auto 4WD X-Line, which has been the best car that we’ve had on Motability (after a succession of VW Tiguans). Other than the lack of AutoHold and slightly excessive road noise on coarse surfaces, it’s been nigh on perfect. I’m not a huge fan of lease extensions (but will consider some extension in this case) and I’m open to leaving the scheme and buying privately if we can’t find anything suitable. We would ideally like another petrol car, second choice would be a PHEV and last choice would be an EV. We don’t want a diesel.

Today, after a nice lunch in Cheltenham, we spent some time at the massive 2 storey Cotswold BMW dealership that only opened a couple of years ago. My first choice manufacturer would be BMW (having had loads of different cars and driven hundreds of others they are my preferred make by some margin) and we went with the intention of looking at 6 different cars. Sadly, we had to rule out 5 of them.

1) BMW 225e Grand Tourer M-Sport PHEV (currently on Motability). I’m afraid that we discounted this on looks alone. MPVs just don’t do it for us. My late Dad had an MPV and as Jeremy Clarkson says, MPVs are for old people who’ve given up on liking cars (which, in fairness, was my Dad! Neither of us liked the look of it and I know I’d regret getting one. The boot may also be a bit too small for the wheelchair, but we didn’t get that far.

2) BMW X2. Not yet on Motability, but I reckon that the iX2 is very likely to join the scheme fairly soon. We ruled this out as the rear passenger compartment is far too difficult to get in and out of due to the sloped roof. I’m 6ft 2 and in all honesty it was a real challenge getting in and out. I had to bend my head right down on to my chest to get in and out and it was uncomfortable doing so. I would concur with the reviews I have read on the X2 that, other than looks, it is compromised against the better packaged X1 / iX1.

3) BMW i4 (on Motability). They had a green Sport e35 which we thought looked lovely (the green looked fabulous under the showroom lights). The boot was big enough for the wheelchair, but as the rear of the car is sloped there wasn’t much space left. Getting in and out of the back seats was also a bit of a challenge due to the sloped roofline, but less difficult than the X2. We ended up dismissing it for 2 reasons. First and foremost, with the lower seating position my wife really struggled getting out of it, as she had to pull herself up more than she does from an SUV, and this was a major problem for her. The other reason was that we felt that the car seemed claustrophobic inside. Forward and rear visibility through the comparatively shallow windscreen and rear window felt very restricted compared to what we are used to. The windscreen almost felt as though the sun blinds were down (they weren’t). Shame as we both really liked the look of it, but it’s just not practical for either of us.

4) BMW 3 Series Touring. When the 330e M-Sport Touring came on to Motability a few months ago, it was the first addition to excite me in several years. I had already established the biggest negative with this car, when I’d worked out the cost of all the options that I’d want to add (which makes it ludicrously expensive for a lease car, especially when added to the £12,000 sacrificed benefits). Whilst it wasn’t as claustrophobic as the i4, my wife really struggled getting out of it so, whilst we liked it, we had to eliminate it.

5) BMW X5. This would obviously be a private purchase, probably a 3 year old one as I just can’t bring myself to part with £70k for a car. Much as I’d love one, and as a car it left all the others in the shade, it was impractical for two reasons. Whereas the i4 and 3 Series were too low for my wife to get out of, the X5 was too high for her to get in to. Also, the side sills on M-Sport models protrude and were problematic for my wife as they make it a bigger gap to reach the seat and also result in soiling your legs from road dirt. Finally, the daft split tailgate would be a nightmare getting the wheelchair in and out of the boot, involving too much of a stretch (not good for my back). Alas, I don’t think I’ll ever get my X5 😔

6) BMW iX1. They didn’t have an iX1 in the showroom but they had an identical petrol X1. This was the easiest car for my wife to get in and out of (no doubt because it’s closest to our current car), but it was also the easiest for me. The boot is fine for the wheelchair and, other than the bigger X5, it was the best car for visibility. I don’t like the fact that the iDrive rotary dial has gone, but at least they have fitted AutoHold on the new model. Almost 3 years on, it’s the one thing on our current X1 that still irritates me (as it doesn’t have it). This ended up being the best car for both of us, but unfortunately only the iX1 EV is on Motability at present. I had an iX1 30e X-Line for a day last year and didn’t like it anywhere near as much as our petrol X1. Ideally I’d like to see the petrol X1 on the scheme, but with how Motabilty is going, I suspect that it won’t. However, there are now two X1 PHEV models so, with the more expensive 330e having joined the scheme, I am hoping that one of them might join next quarter. However, there’s no EV equivalent of the 3 Series Touring, whereas BMW will want to use Motability to get their EV numbers up so will want to shift the iX1 as a priority.

So, as far as BMW goes, if we stay with Motability we will hope for the X1 PHEV and if that doesn’t happen, and we don’t find a better car from another manufacturer, we may end up having to go for an iX1 20e M-Sport, which you can get through Motability with the tech pack and M-Sport Pro packs included. I’d considered an X3 as a private purchase, but it’s no bigger inside than the new X1/iX1 so that doesn’t really make sense. So, in some respects, a frustrating day, but at least it’s helped narrow the BMW choice down to one car.

Next steps are to look at the Hyundai Tucson Ultimate PHEV (not sure I want to spend that much for a Hyundai though) and the Mazda CX-60, although I’ll wait to see if that’s still on the list in Q2 before making a trip as there isn’t a Mazda dealer anywhere near us. My wife has a prejudice against all French cars (🙄) and isn’t at all keen on a Skoda, even though I think they make some excellent cars now. The new Kuga won’t be any good as the Vignale is discontinued and you can’t get leather trim on the ST-Line X (she needs leather or faux leather to slide around on the seat). The new VW Tiguan still doesn’t have leather unless you pay over £2k which is outrageous (no faux leather option).

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 123 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Glos Guy
      Participant

I wrote an update earlier and it didn’t appear on the thread but disappeared 🙄. I’ll try again…..

Many thanks to those who have provided some answers to my 5 questions. Much appreciated. Any further input from others would be most welcome.

I’m delighted to report that my excellent contact at BMW has found an iX1 20e M-Sport with pretty much all the options that I’d add, and has arranged for it to be delivered to my local dealers tomorrow so that it can be fully charged and prepped for me to test it for a full day on Friday. How good is that? Having it for a full day will allow time for me to pretty much look into everything bar charging. Naturally I want to see if it’s powerful enough given the weight of EVs, but In particular I want to spend some time making adjustments through iDrive to see if I can counter some of the negative aspects that really put me off the 30e X-Line that I’d been given for a day last year. I didn’t change the setup last time but may have inadvertently triggered the most aggressive regenerative braking setting, which I really disliked. By the way, when an EV does regenerative braking, do the rear brake lights come on? It slowed so violently last time I was worried about being rear-ended!

Interesting development on the Hyundai Tucson front as well today. As the U.K. spec has been released today for the facelift model, I’ve established that matrix headlights are being introduced and will be standard on the Ultimate. I can’t find reference to head up display which is also now available on the facelift for the first time. However, where Hyundai have given in the one hand, they have taken away in the other.  Leather trim is now a cost option (was standard on Ultimate) and, rather unhelpfully, the price of it is absent from the price list 🙄. This means that the £3.5k price difference between the Tucson and iX1 (once options are added to the latter) will narrow by however much the cost of the leather upgrade is 🤔.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Glos Guy.
        kezo
        Participant

What happened with those quotes?   Yeah, complex installs are definitely something the Motability install handles either averagely or really, really badly, depending on who you get given.  Again, if I knew an electrician, retired or not, I’d be seriously considering paying him to do a decent job on a decent charger, especially if something like solar panels could possibly be in my future.

What quotes?

I take alot of pride in my work perhaps too much but, it’s that, that has kept me busy all these years. As for the majority of Motability installs Ive seen, there average at best to downright shambolic!

Happy to advise/help any one though.  If only little Britain wasn’t so big I’d do anything for a cup a coffee and a “pack” of Mcvities lol.

kezo
          Participant

Interesting development on the Hyundai Tucson front as well today. As the U.K. spec has been released today for the facelift model, I’ve established that matrix headlights are being introduced and will be standard on the Ultimate. I can’t find reference to head up display which is also now available on the facelift for the first time. However, where Hyundai have given in the one hand, they have taken away in the other.  Leather trim is now a cost option (was standard on Ultimate) and, rather unhelpfully, the price of it is absent from the price list . This means that the £3.5k price difference between the Tucson and iX1 (once options are added to the latter) will narrow by however much the cost of the leather upgrade is .

I think they have made a mistake, which will only become apparent when you are able to build the car!

N Line Leather & Faux Suede Seats – – ● ● –  Standard on N Line & N Line S

Seat Trim – Black Leather (Seat Facings Only) – – – – ○  Standard on the out going Ultimate
            Seat Trim -Moss Grey Leather (Seat Facings Only) – – – – ○ FOC  option on outgoing Ultimate
            Seat Trim -Cypress Green Colour Pack – – – – ○ New option pack (Ultimate only)
            Seat Trim – Premium Cloth ● – – – – New Advance Trim 
            Seat Trim – Premium Cloth & Leather – ● – – – Premium 

Every model except the Ultimate has a dedicated “seat trim”, which screams error! My educated common sense guess is, Black & Moss Grey are standard seat trims on the Ultimate and therefore should have been blacked out and the Cypress Green “pack” as an optional extra on the Ultimate.

Its unheard of Hyundai note putting leather on their top models.

EDIT: Below the specifications list befor pricing-

● Standard
            ○ Free of Charge Option

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by kezo.
            72 dudes
            Participant

In particular I want to spend some time making adjustments through iDrive to see if I can counter some of the negative aspects that really put me off the 30e X-Line that I’d been given for a day last year. I didn’t change the setup last time but may have inadvertently triggered the most aggressive regenerative braking setting, which I really disliked. By the way, when an EV does regenerative braking, do the rear brake lights come on? It slowed so violently last time I was worried about being rear-ended! .

Yes, brake lights are automatically activated below a predetermined level of deceleration.

There are four levels of regen braking

Off, mild, medium, adaptive and B mode, the latter selected via the gear toggle switch.

Try it off first, then try Adaptive, which I think is brilliant. It’ll allow coasting but brakes gently if you get too near a car in front. It also brakes for speed limits, junctions and roundabouts and even responds to an indicator being turned on, as it works with the satnav to realise you are turning. It’s really clever stuff but will take a little time and practice to fully appreciate it!

indecisiveone
              Participant

GG – have you looked at the Kia sportsge ?

des
                Participant

As 72dudes says. I’m sorry I started using the regen braking as I’m so used to using it now that it near caused an accident the other day as I had it off and not on auto. Turn it off and coast as much as possible for best MpKW.

I know all my stats or from the Kona and you’re interested in the ix1 but I think they have the same usable 64kw battery, both are not built on a dedicated EV platform, mind the BM is heavier. And according EV database have a similar range of 170-345.

The 210 mile trip today is about 200 miles of motorway there and back. I’m going to go down at 65mph and return at 78mph. It will be interesting to see the difference.

Glos Guy
                  Participant

@kezo The Hyundai price list is all over the place. Good spot that the ‘o’ says ‘No Cost Option’ (which hopefully is the case with the leather), but it also has that symbol for all paint options, yet further down it shows the prices for them! Hopefully it will get corrected soon. P.S. What was the conversation that you said you’d need to have with me if I was going to go ahead with the iX1. Do you envisage problems with a charger installation (I recall sending you photos of my two fuse boxes last year)?

@72 dudes That’s brilliant info. Many thanks. I’ll try each option, when I work out how to change it! Adaptive sounds good. I think I might have unwittingly triggered B mode before!

@indecisiveone
                    I eliminated the Sportage on paper as you can’t get full leather, or even faux leather, which my wife needs to be able to get in and out more easily.

kezo
                    Participant

@kezo The Hyundai price list is all over the place. Good spot that the ‘o’ says ‘No Cost Option’ (which hopefully is the case with the leather), but it also has that symbol for all paint options, yet further down it shows the prices for them! Hopefully it will get corrected soon. P.S. What was the conversation that you said you’d need to have with me if I was going to go ahead with the iX1. Do you envisage problems with a charger installation (I recall sending you photos of my two fuse boxes last year)?

Yes you did and from memory my last comment is still waiting a reply 😂 however, we can go over it again here.

I vaguey remember the pictures of you consumer units but, wasn’t sure from looking how the extension consumer unit was supplied with electricity and you would have a charger located in the garage or on its outside wall, 10-15m away from the extension, which is where the 2nd consumer unit is mounted?

I can’t remember if you sent one of your meter box and certainly not of the electric supply cable going into the garage (can’t remember if it was just a socket and light you have in the garage) Could you put a pic up of them please and I’ll look and run through the options later today after the hospital 🙂

When you take the iX1 for the day tomorrow, I woud spend somme time getting to know idrive 8 functions and climate controls menu, to ascertain you will be happy with with purely a touchscreen setup, given BMW cheapskated not fitting the idrive controller!

Glos Guy
                      Participant

Thanks @kezo. Will try later as, like you, busy today. Definitely will spend ages on the iDrive (it’s OS9 now in the iX1, but still no rotary controller 😡). Thankfully, BMWs voice activation is brilliant (unlike Hyundais) so I’m hoping I can access most things by voice command.

Found my review of the iX1 30e from last year. The things I didn’t like were the design of the X-Line model (dreadful wheels, bright blue accents, horrible green exterior colour) – all of which would be addressed with an M-Sport, the regenerative braking (which I think I’d inadvertently set to the strongest setting – I’ve now had excellent advice on what to look for), the removal of the rotary controller (see above) and finally the road noise (one of the few things where the previous X1 needed improvement) not being any better. I’ll check that out again tomorrow, but the test car has 20” alloys and I would go 19” max. Thankfully tomorrow’s car also has Harmon Kardon which I would also add. Should be an interesting day. Will I want one or will I be hot footing it back to the Hyundai garage? I’ll let you know 😂

MFillingham
                        Participant

Regenerative braking takes a bit of getting used to.  If you have it on full and use the brakes it’ll be really harsh, the emergency stop in our I5 is pretty instant with iPedal activated and as expected in the others.  I have been used to driving with it for a good few years and leaving a little bit bigger gap to slow a little less quickly can really make a difference to both how I drive and the efficiency.  That said, it’s turn downable to a point where you can either ignore it (and the efficiency gains) or can have it at a manageable level and enjoy a little bit of extra efficiency.

The Tuscon has a Krell system, that’d set my expectations really high, seeing as home stereo Krell equipment is incredibly expensive.  I’d be very interested to see/hear if it is anything close to the expectations the name creates.  Hyundai’s smart boot is better than most I’ve come across, it’s not a wave your foot under a sensor type, you just stand behind the car and it’ll detect the key, give you a bit of time to prove you’re not walking past then open the boot door.  Given I’ve seen someone fall over waving their foot at their Ford (I think) with loads of bags in their hands, I much prefer the stand and wait approach Hyundai offer.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                          I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

kezo
                          Participant

The Tuscon has a Krell system, that’d set my expectations really high, seeing as home stereo Krell equipment is incredibly expensive.  I’d be very interested to see/hear if it is anything close to the expectations the name creates.  Hyundai’s smart boot is better than most I’ve come across, it’s not a wave your foot under a sensor type, you just stand behind the car and it’ll detect the key, give you a bit of time to prove you’re not walking past then open the boot door.  Given I’ve seen someone fall over waving their foot at their Ford (I think) with loads of bags in their hands, I much prefer the stand and wait approach Hyundai offer.

I have the Krell in my Tucson! Like any automotive premium sound, they don’t live up to their namesakes in the hifi world. That said its a decent system (once setup to your taste), which comes to life when the volume is turned up a couple of notches and there’s a decent of bass. Its certainly as good as the H&K in the Sportage and better than the Bose in the i6. The best system I have heard in a car was in a 7 series, which had speakers everywhere including in the headrests!

The boot opener is indeed clever and superior to the hit and miss “foot wave”.

Mine goes in for a service next weeek and my thinking at the momment is, if they can factory order the new Tucson PHEV at the current AP, I will take the plunge. Mine hasn’t faltered in the 2.5 yearsI had it and although its not premium its a nice place to be nd has evey extra you’d ever want. I’d miss the ventillated seats if I didn’t have them!  The new interior has the twin screens and thankfully buttons rather than full haptic mine has (I hate touchscreens and haptic buttons), along with the new software seen in the Kona.

I recently drove both the the Tucson & Sportage PHEV and the Tuscon was less fidgety over our uneven potholed roads, the opposite can be said for the ICE 48v variants, so shows what a bit of weight can do with 19″rims. I would have chosen the Sportage due to the better looking interior at the time but Motability stopped me having one from the docks!

kmb786
                            Participant

Hi

Ive been searching for SUV for the past few months as currently have a RAV4 Hybrid and 5 yr lease comes to an end in November this year.

However, as was waiting for the new Rav4 to come on the scheme as our current one is nice and roomy and comfortable, now quite disappointed with the high AP and the fact that it’s plug-in hybrid.

So now looking at different model SUVs and came across the Hyuandai Tucson N Line/N Line S as I understand they are mild hybrid but lower AP than the Rav4.

Therefore, what are peoples opions about the Tucson N line range and are they good cars and what are they like driving wise as I’ve always been a Toyota drive and now that the fact my daughter who’s car this is for has two kids (2yr and 1hr) so need quite a roomy car like the rav4.

P.S. Are these Tucson N models the new 2024 range?

Thank you.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by kmb786.
                              Glos Guy
                              Participant

@kezo Photos of main meter box, main fuse box in old part of house and smaller fuse box in extension. I would be unhappy if any cabling was required from the first two, as they are in the part of the house with 18” thick stone walls and it would be too disruptive. The smaller box in the extension is less problematic as its conventional brick. This box is also closest to the garage (about 3 metres from the door into the garage – but the charger would need to go further in than that) or, if we have to have a charger on the outside of the house, the best location would probably be on the exterior wall almost directly behind the smaller fuse box. I’ve no idea how long the charging cables are (or whether I should have tethered or not). Presumably they reach say a car and a half length (if the charge socket is at the back of the car and you park facing the house but not right up against it?). Asking all these questions is making me nervous (especially as I might not understand your answers 😂) and it’s reminding me why I’ve never actually pursued an EV before. It’s all so damned complicated and stressful!

kezo
                                Participant

I will try to explain in English

Meter box:

The two little boxes to the (circled in blue) right of the meter have 3 pairs of tails (cables) going into the boxes, which consist of 3 live going to one box and 3 neutral going to the second box, as below.

1 pair are coming from the meter

1 pair go out of the meter box through the hole on the right into the house

1 pair (the thinner ones) go to the old white(ish) wylex fuse box – Does this supply the garage?

My main concern is you only have 1 pair of tails (cables) going into the house as described above and I cannot physically see from a photo how the two consumer units are wired from one set of cables. If I was to hazard a guess, there is a junction splitting the cables to supply each consumer unit from one set of incoming tails or the original house consumer unit feed the extension consumer unit from one of the fuses (MCB’s), as I say I’m just guessing.

Lets look on the positive side and say the extension consumer unit does indeed have 25mm2 tails (cables) supplying electric to it, then a charger could be installed on the same wall as the consumer unit, which would fall under a standard install by Motability. You could request the non tethered Ohme E-Pod and tick the option for 8m charging cable, which hopefully would be long enough, if not you can buy a longer one yourself.

On a negative note, if the tails (cables) supplying the extension consumer unit aren’t big/powerful enough to supply a charger, you are looking at taking a new supply from the meter box in the porch, which is not the end of the world trust me. However, best option would be to contract an electrician to do the job rather than paying top dollar for a non standard install by Motability cowboys. The same applies if you want the charger in the garage requiring a trench dug.

You never sent a picture of the electric supply cable going into the garage, as it may be suitable!

I would love you to take the cover of the extension consumer unit and send a picture, so I could give you a more definate answer BUT, you have got to feel confident and someone decided to put coving near to it, which may make removing the cover somwhat awkward! I bet you live to far for me to pop in and take a look?

Anything that isn’t clear please shout!

Glos Guy
                                  Participant

Many thanks for the reply @kezo Not sure if it helps but below is a photo of the surface mounted cables in the garage, which are tied to the walls running to a couple of double sockets, and out to the shed. I can get up in the loft above the garage to see if anything is above that if that helps?

If we get an EV, I wouldn’t want any surface mounted cables running from the main meter box or the main consumer unit. It would look terrible as they are on inside walls. I could live with it from the one in the extension if absolutely necessary.

Theres an electrician in our village who I know very well and he’s done lots of jobs here. I wonder if you’d be kind enough to list the specific things that I should ask him to check, specifically in the smaller consumer unit in the extension, to establish whether an install would be straightforward (and therefore a ‘free’ install with Motability), or whether it would complicated (and extra cost / disruption). I’d be most grateful.

P.S. Gutted, as the iX1 20e test drive didn’t happen today. The car turned out to be a sponsorship car provided to a football team and can’t be used for test drives. My contact is going to speak to BMW HQ and try to source a car from them.

kezo
                                    Participant

Do you know where the supply to the garage comes from – is it via an MCB (fuse) from one of your consumer units?

Does your garage have a consumer unit/fuse box?

If your garage electric supply is 10mm2 cable there will be no problem having a charger fitted in the garage from the electrical supply feeding the garage . Even if your garage supplied by 6mm2 cable, it will be possible. However up untill fairly recently, most garages have the electric supplied by 4mm or 2.5mm2, which wouldn’t be suitable without severely derating the charger, making having one not worthwhile.

The extension consumer unit needs to have 25mm2 tails suppling electric to it, to really make it suitable for adding a charger. Ohme will not fit a charger if the tails have a smaller cross sectional area than 25mm2. Equally if the DNO needs to upgrade your cut-out fuse to 80 or 100A, they like to see 25mm2 tails and could refuse (not as they go poking around anyware other than the meter box), not to mention it’s also best practice.

So you need to know (ask the village electrician) 15min work:

1 – What size cable is feeding the garage supply

2 – What size tails are feeding the extension consumer unit (simply requires removing the lid)

If the cable feeding your garage is suitable, thats great you can have a standard charger install by Motability. (Uunlikely  option)

If the tails feeing the extension consumer unit are 25mm2, again you can have a standard charger install by Motability, by having the charger fitted on the outside wall, the consumer unit is on. You can spec an 8m cable and simply run it over to the garage.

Anything more required, would trigger a non standard install which would be way over charged and would be worth getting your own quote, where it “may” be possible to have a charger fitted even if the tails that supply to the extension consumer unit are 16mm, depending on design characteristics.

If non of those options are possible (sit down for this), the best and my prefered option would be from the meter box to (a) a charger fitted on the extension wall (b) a new 10mm2 supply going to the garage, allowing the charger to be installed in the garage and to power the garage/shed sockets/lights.

Some neat trunking in the porch if the cable can’t be hidden, comming out at skirting level and clipped at low level around the external building fabric using D Line clips (invisable) compared to cleats and then a trench dug and into the garage, where a new supply and consumer unit will be fitted or to a charger on the outside wall of the extension the consumer unit is on and to finish off I wuld paint the cable white lol.

Glos Guy
                                      Participant

Morning @kezo Many thanks for all the information, some of which I understood 😂 I’m going to contact my local electrician tomorrow and ask him to call around and answer the following questions;

1) Are the two consumer units supplied from a split cable from one set of incoming tails?

2) Does the consumer box in the extension have 25mm2 tails supplying it? Cost to achieve this if not.

3) Is the garage supply coming via an MCB (fuse) from one of the consumer units?

4) Is the garage electrical supply 10mm2 cable (or even 6mm2 cables)?

Does that cover everything?

Final question, I didn’t understand the point about they could refuse an install if the cur-out fuse needs to be upgraded to 80A or 100A. Is that a big / complicated job? Cheers.

kezo
                                        Participant

Morning @kezo Many thanks for all the information, some of which I understood 😂 I’m going to contact my local electrician tomorrow and ask him to call around and answer the following questions; 1) Are the two consumer units supplied from a split cable from one set of incoming tails? 2) Does the consumer box in the extension have 25mm2 tails supplying it? Cost to achieve this if not. 3) Is the garage supply coming via an MCB (fuse) from one of the consumer units? 4) Is the garage electrical supply 10mm2 cable (or even 6mm2 cables)? Does that cover everything? Final question, I didn’t understand the point about they could refuse an install if the cur-out fuse needs to be upgraded to 80A or 100A. Is that a big / complicated job? Cheers.

Yes mate that covers basically everything.

Upgrading the cut-out fuse is not a big job, requires the DNO fuse changing in the meter box only. If you look at the black service head below the meter and to the left of the off white wylex fuse box you can see where the cut-out fuse is as it has a white sticky lable attatched and some silver looking seals to stop tampering. The label may suggest you already have 80A cut-out fuse.

The DNO typically go no further than the meter box. They can see from their the size of tails going into the house are 25.

Keep me udated 🙂

Glos Guy
                                          Participant

Thanks @kezo The sticky label on the black box says 60A, so do I take it that this needs upgrading to 80A or 100A regardless of wherever a charger may end up being located?

Glos Guy
                                            Participant

@kezo Spoken to my electrician and, from memory, he thinks that the answers to my questions won’t be favourable 😔 He’s away for the next week or so but will pop around to confirm once he’s back.

As I have time to kill waiting for the BMW and Hyundai dealers to get cars in for me to test drive, I have done a detailed spec comparison of my two shortlisted cars. The Tucson obviously wins on spec count, but loses on quality.

Once the options that I’d add to the iX1 are taken into consideration, the Tucson still has the following kit over and above the BMW;

Leather Trim (if it’s still included FOC on the facelift), Electric Drivers Seat with Memory, Electric Passenger Seat, Ventilated Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot View Monitor, Junction Collision Avoidance, Highway Drive Assist, Lane Follow Assist.

The BMW (with included Technology Plus Pack) would add Head-Up Display and iOS9 operating system, which is far better than even the improved Hyundai infotainment system.

There are pros and cons for both cars;

Hyundai – Pros – £3.5k cheaper (once options are added to the BMW), far better standard kit, it’s a PHEV, so no range anxiety issues and would only ever need to charge at home, no need to add options. Cons – Build quality noticeably less than BMW, Infotainment not as good, more a family car than a drivers car, looks (my wife likes it – I don’t!)

BMW – Pros – Build quality far better, driver engagement & refinement likely to be better (will confirm on test drive), Infotainment better. Cons – £3.5k more of which almost £2k will be options that won’t be refunded in the event of an early termination, it’s an EV (which we don’t really want) with all the associated issues that brings (range anxiety etc).

In reality, I’d be getting the iX1 in order to stick with a BMW X1 (ish) as our current one has been near perfect and BMW is my preferred mainstream brand. However, my head is saying that the Hyundai must be worth a shot. My worry is that I get it and feel that I’ve taken a big step backwards. I’ve suggested to my wife that the best option might be to leave Motability and buy a petrol X1 (23i M-Sport) but with options that’s £47k (probably £45k with discount) and she’d rather get a lease car than part with that cash. Other option is to extend our current lease, if they will allow us to extend beyond 6 months. Decisions, decisions. I’m hoping that the test drives will rule one of the two shortlisted cars out!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Glos Guy.
                                              kezo
                                              Participant

I would tend to agree with your electrician on the outlook not being in your favour. I have seen some weird wiring in my time so never say never!

Worst case is a new supply from the meter box to the garage or charger on the extension wall sorry.

Another option but, one I wouldn’t entertain is, if you have a 4mm2 cable supply to garage is to the derate the charger from 32 Amps (7,2kW) to 16 Amps (3.6kW) however it well be twice as slow as, an already slowish 7.2kW charger. Having a 3.6kW charger or a 2.3kW granny charger for aPHEV would be acceptable but, it certainly wouldn’t be something I’d recommend for an BEV. Something to think about with mrs GG.

Yes depending on your DNO, your cut-out fuse will be upgraded to 80 or 100A and most probably 80A. This work is normally free if your having a EV charger fitted or you electrician fills the form in saying you are 😉

The new Tucson will have the same infotainment system seen on the new Kona, which is a massive upgrade to the one now.

I looked at the Cupra Formentor VZ2 PHEV 245 – the seats were nice being Nappa leather along with a leather covering on the dash. The overall quality was uplifted from typical Seat but, was let down with 99% of functions being touchscreen based, which I dislike. Having lived with the outgoing Tucson, I know how difficult it can be to touch a haptic button when driving let alone a fecking touchscreen ane one of reason I discounted the X1 TBH.

Infact mrs kezo and I went through the list of vehicles available on the scheme and there wasn’t one we would actually go out and buy!

Glos Guy
                                                Participant

Same with us @kezo I wouldn’t buy any of the cars on the scheme with my own money. Even our two shortlisted cars would each be a compromise for different reasons. Very frustrating. Good news – I now have an iX1 20e M-Sport for the day on Friday. I’ll report back on how I find it.

Glos Guy
                                                  Participant

Today I had one of my shortlisted cars for the day. A BMW iX1 20e M-Sport with Technology Plus Pack, 19” alloys and Harman Kardon sound system. As I currently have a petrol X1 (2021 20i XLine 4WD) and have previously had a current generation iX1 30e XLine for the day, there were some very specific things that I wanted to establish. Feedback as follows;

Performance – Our current petrol X1 is something like 190 bhp and 4WD. Whilst I tend to drive it in moderation, it’s sh*t off a shovel if you want it to be. The 20e iX1 is 200 bhp but, being an EV, is a heavier car. I was concerned that it might be sluggish. I’m pleased to say that I needn’t have worried. Power and performance is fine. As those who drive, or have driven, an EV will know, the power delivery is different. With our petrol X1, if you accelerate hard you get a rapid but progressive build up of power that keeps going, with the iX1 if you floor it you get immediate punch in the back take off, so it gets to speed quicker, but then flatlines rather than continuing to build. It’s different but still perfectly adequate. There is a ‘Boost’ mode but I tried fast acceleration with and without it and couldn’t tell any difference. Obviously the negative of flooring an EV is that the range takes an immediate hit. In summary though, I don’t think that anyone should be concerned that this car would be underpowered.

Range – When I collected the car it was showing 85% charge and an available range of 220 miles. The car had been driven 35 miles in B mode since charging prior to me picking it up. I ended up only driving about 60 miles in it, on a mix of motorway and A roads. Apart from 3 or 4 sharp blasts (as mentioned above) I was driving it at 60-70 on the motorway and 30-60 on A roads, so sensible speeds. When I returned the car the remaining range was 145 miles. So I used up 75 miles of range driving 60 miles. Keeping in mind that today was quite warm (19 degrees) my guess is that the realistic range for the sort of driving I do is probably around 230 miles from a full charge. Our petrol X1 easily manages 500-600 miles, so a massive difference, but that’s obviously something you have to accept if you go down the EV route.

Ride & Handling – M-Sport iX1 and X1’s have M-Sport Adaptive suspension as standard. You wouldn’t know. It’s certainly not jarring and I wouldn’t even say it’s problematic, but it does have a slightly unsettled ride. When I asked my wife what she particularly liked and disliked about the car, the first negative that she mentioned was the ride quality. Our test car had upgraded 19” alloys, but I doubt that the standard 18” setup would be massively different. I certainly wouldn’t advise going to 20” though. Our current petrol X1 is 4WD and lighter and, if you are so minded, you can really chuck it around with no stress at all. Not that I do that, but it’s certainly a brilliant drivers car, as so many BMWs are. The 20e iX1 is heavier and 2WD. Furthermore, the driven wheels are at the front, which is unusual for a BMW. I’ve lost count of how many BMWs I’ve driven (I’d guess at a minimum of 50) and whether it’s the setup or the fact that it’s an EV (or both) I don’t know, but the iX1 doesn’t drive and handle as well as other BMWs I’ve driven. This won’t be an issue for those who are new to BMW, but may come as a slight disappointment to those who are very familiar with them, and like the way that the ICE versions drive.

Regenerative Braking – I’ve given this aspect of driving characteristics a separate paragraph as, for me, it’s a big issue. I tried ‘B’ mode (one pedal driving). It’s not for me, but I can imagine that it could be very useful for those with certain disabilities. Even with it off, you still feel the car regenerative braking. The car was set to ‘Adaptive’ mode. This is very clever, as it changes the degree of regenerative braking based on various factors, including the road ahead (it uses the Sat Nav to know, for example, that you are going into a bend). Whilst very clever, I hated it. You never knew whether there was going to be very little ‘braking’ when you eased off the accelerator, or lots. I could not work out for the life of me how to disable this mode (see separate section on OS9) so had to google it and watch a YouTube video. Once I worked it out I set it to ‘Low’, which was better, but the regenerative braking was still noticeable. I realise that this is an essential aspect of driving an EV to help preserve the limited range but, as with my previous test drive in an EV, I just don’t like it.

Road Noise – The petrol engine in our current X1 is near silent, but road noise is a bit excessive. We both felt that the iX1 was a bit quieter. I’m sure that many other cars are even quieter, as it’s never been a strong point of X1’s, and still isn’t, but the new model is definitely better than the 2021 model that we have. Our test car had the Harman Kardon sound system and I wouldn’t say that I was blown away by it, but it was good and better than the standard system in our current car.

Infotainment – The iXi has the latest BMW iDrive operating system 9. I am certainly no technophobe and like to have all the gadgets and options, but the setup in the iX1 and new X1 is a step backwards. The rotary controller has gone, so you now have to use touchscreen (dangerous and awkward whilst driving) or voice control. Worst of all, it’s not intuitive and even though I currently have a BMW, I found it to be extremely confusing. In our current X1 I can do countless things on the move safely. If I tried to do the same on the new model I’d end up in a ditch – or worse. The voice control in our current car is brilliant, but it’s not as good in the new model, which is a real shame as you need it to be as good or even better. I asked it to ‘Navigate to (my postcode)’. This command always works first time on mine. On the iX1 it accepted the postcode every time but wouldn’t accept it as a destination. I had to state the road name and village to make it work. Very odd. I didn’t like the new map views as much. The surround camera was pretty cool and may be of use to those with some restriction in upper body movement. I’m sure that there’s lots of other cool stuff but you can only really plough through it all whilst the vehicle is stationary. It’s way too complicated and distracting to use on the move.

Summary – I really wanted to love the iX1. BMW is my favourite mainstream brand by a mile and this is the only BMW on Motability that my wife can get in and out of. Our current X1 has been near perfect, so this car should have ticked every box for us. It’s not a bad car, and for those making their first step into a BMW, the quality step up from other brands will be noticeable. Furthermore, those who really want an EV will happily live with all the quirks that these powertrains have. The problem we have is that we don’t yearn to have an EV, so we would be getting the iX1 purely to get the closest car to what we currently have and like. We are fortunate that running costs are low down on our list of priorities in what we look for in a car, so whilst it would undoubtedly be cheaper to run, that money saving comes at a cost in several other respects, and that’s a trade off that we aren’t keen on making. We haven’t ruled the car out, because the way things are going with the scheme (and my wife’s worsening condition) we can’t afford to, but would I feel excited about the prospect of getting an iX1 and feel that it was a step up from our 2021 petrol X1? The honest answer to both questions is ‘No’.

Participant

It’s a shame that you don’t feel that the iX1 measures up Glos, but I have to say that I share all the concerns and reservations you have mentioned, especially the regen braking. It just feels so wrong!

Nice review though, enjoyed reading it.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 22 hours ago by Avatar photoWillis.
                                                      MFillingham
                                                      Participant

Nice review, great level of detail.

I think the issue with regen is not having experience of how it works and the number of options available a day is not enough to get used to it.  I understand that getting used to something shouldn’t be a part of driving but it is part of owning an EV and, once you’re used to it, can be a helpful tool.  I’ve had it for several years now, so have the opposite problem, I get in a car without it and I find pressing the brakes far too hard for what I’m used to doing.

It’s interesting that you feel the software is a step backwards.  I do worry about how auto software is heading in a direction that’s almost in conflict with the simple principle of driving safely.  Does anyone have a ‘change this whilst driving’ test?

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                                                        I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 123 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.