The Search Begins!

• Creator
    Topic
    Glos Guy
    Participant

As mentioned on the lease extensions thread, our new car order window opens in 4 weeks time. We currently have a 2021 BMW X1 2.0i petrol auto 4WD X-Line, which has been the best car that we’ve had on Motability (after a succession of VW Tiguans). Other than the lack of AutoHold and slightly excessive road noise on coarse surfaces, it’s been nigh on perfect. I’m not a huge fan of lease extensions (but will consider some extension in this case) and I’m open to leaving the scheme and buying privately if we can’t find anything suitable. We would ideally like another petrol car, second choice would be a PHEV and last choice would be an EV. We don’t want a diesel.

Today, after a nice lunch in Cheltenham, we spent some time at the massive 2 storey Cotswold BMW dealership that only opened a couple of years ago. My first choice manufacturer would be BMW (having had loads of different cars and driven hundreds of others they are my preferred make by some margin) and we went with the intention of looking at 6 different cars. Sadly, we had to rule out 5 of them.

1) BMW 225e Grand Tourer M-Sport PHEV (currently on Motability). I’m afraid that we discounted this on looks alone. MPVs just don’t do it for us. My late Dad had an MPV and as Jeremy Clarkson says, MPVs are for old people who’ve given up on liking cars (which, in fairness, was my Dad! Neither of us liked the look of it and I know I’d regret getting one. The boot may also be a bit too small for the wheelchair, but we didn’t get that far.

2) BMW X2. Not yet on Motability, but I reckon that the iX2 is very likely to join the scheme fairly soon. We ruled this out as the rear passenger compartment is far too difficult to get in and out of due to the sloped roof. I’m 6ft 2 and in all honesty it was a real challenge getting in and out. I had to bend my head right down on to my chest to get in and out and it was uncomfortable doing so. I would concur with the reviews I have read on the X2 that, other than looks, it is compromised against the better packaged X1 / iX1.

3) BMW i4 (on Motability). They had a green Sport e35 which we thought looked lovely (the green looked fabulous under the showroom lights). The boot was big enough for the wheelchair, but as the rear of the car is sloped there wasn’t much space left. Getting in and out of the back seats was also a bit of a challenge due to the sloped roofline, but less difficult than the X2. We ended up dismissing it for 2 reasons. First and foremost, with the lower seating position my wife really struggled getting out of it, as she had to pull herself up more than she does from an SUV, and this was a major problem for her. The other reason was that we felt that the car seemed claustrophobic inside. Forward and rear visibility through the comparatively shallow windscreen and rear window felt very restricted compared to what we are used to. The windscreen almost felt as though the sun blinds were down (they weren’t). Shame as we both really liked the look of it, but it’s just not practical for either of us.

4) BMW 3 Series Touring. When the 330e M-Sport Touring came on to Motability a few months ago, it was the first addition to excite me in several years. I had already established the biggest negative with this car, when I’d worked out the cost of all the options that I’d want to add (which makes it ludicrously expensive for a lease car, especially when added to the £12,000 sacrificed benefits). Whilst it wasn’t as claustrophobic as the i4, my wife really struggled getting out of it so, whilst we liked it, we had to eliminate it.

5) BMW X5. This would obviously be a private purchase, probably a 3 year old one as I just can’t bring myself to part with £70k for a car. Much as I’d love one, and as a car it left all the others in the shade, it was impractical for two reasons. Whereas the i4 and 3 Series were too low for my wife to get out of, the X5 was too high for her to get in to. Also, the side sills on M-Sport models protrude and were problematic for my wife as they make it a bigger gap to reach the seat and also result in soiling your legs from road dirt. Finally, the daft split tailgate would be a nightmare getting the wheelchair in and out of the boot, involving too much of a stretch (not good for my back). Alas, I don’t think I’ll ever get my X5 ?

6) BMW iX1. They didn’t have an iX1 in the showroom but they had an identical petrol X1. This was the easiest car for my wife to get in and out of (no doubt because it’s closest to our current car), but it was also the easiest for me. The boot is fine for the wheelchair and, other than the bigger X5, it was the best car for visibility. I don’t like the fact that the iDrive rotary dial has gone, but at least they have fitted AutoHold on the new model. Almost 3 years on, it’s the one thing on our current X1 that still irritates me (as it doesn’t have it). This ended up being the best car for both of us, but unfortunately only the iX1 EV is on Motability at present. I had an iX1 30e X-Line for a day last year and didn’t like it anywhere near as much as our petrol X1. Ideally I’d like to see the petrol X1 on the scheme, but with how Motabilty is going, I suspect that it won’t. However, there are now two X1 PHEV models so, with the more expensive 330e having joined the scheme, I am hoping that one of them might join next quarter. However, there’s no EV equivalent of the 3 Series Touring, whereas BMW will want to use Motability to get their EV numbers up so will want to shift the iX1 as a priority.

So, as far as BMW goes, if we stay with Motability we will hope for the X1 PHEV and if that doesn’t happen, and we don’t find a better car from another manufacturer, we may end up having to go for an iX1 20e M-Sport, which you can get through Motability with the tech pack and M-Sport Pro packs included. I’d considered an X3 as a private purchase, but it’s no bigger inside than the new X1/iX1 so that doesn’t really make sense. So, in some respects, a frustrating day, but at least it’s helped narrow the BMW choice down to one car.

Next steps are to look at the Hyundai Tucson Ultimate PHEV (not sure I want to spend that much for a Hyundai though) and the Mazda CX-60, although I’ll wait to see if that’s still on the list in Q2 before making a trip as there isn’t a Mazda dealer anywhere near us. My wife has a prejudice against all French cars (?) and isn’t at all keen on a Skoda, even though I think they make some excellent cars now. The new Kuga won’t be any good as the Vignale is discontinued and you can’t get leather trim on the ST-Line X (she needs leather or faux leather to slide around on the seat). The new VW Tiguan still doesn’t have leather unless you pay over £2k which is outrageous (no faux leather option).

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 150 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Glos Guy
      Participant

Having narrowed down my list of BMWs down to just one (iX1) – and that’s an EV, which both of us have reservations about getting – I called in to a Mazda dealership yesterday to look at the CX-60.

I don’t particularly like the styling of it, but it does look quite a big car. Oddly, the interior space didn’t feel any bigger than our BMW X1. It was the top spec model and I can’t say that I liked the cloth like dashboard trim and almost yellow wood like trim that adorns this model. The light leather was nice, but there’s a black band down the middle of the seats that has an odd effect on it that makes it look stained.

On a positive note, the seating position seemed no higher than our X1, so it may be OK for my wife to get in and out of (she wasn’t with me so I couldn’t confirm). Also, the interior quality, whilst not BMW standard, was far closer to it than most brands. If this is still on the list in Q2 I think it might be worth a proper look.

kezo
        Participant

The Takumi has Nappa leather seats and real white maple wood trim, which has a pale yellow hue and a age old Japanese stitching on the cloth area of the dash. Several cars I have looked at now have a full cloth dash and some certainly look better than others.

Its a large car with a long front end which impacts interior space and the wide centre console doesn’t help, although I liked this. Pop the bonnet and the 4cyl engine looks lost in the engine bay, making you wonder why the front of the car is so long however, there is a 3.3l inline 6 diesel version of the CX-60 which soon fills the space.

Glos Guy
          Participant

The Takumi has Nappa leather seats and real white maple wood trim, which has a pale yellow hue and a age old Japanese stitching on the cloth area of the dash. Several cars I have looked at now have a full cloth dash and some certainly look better than others. Its a large car with a long front end which impacts interior space and the wide centre console doesn’t help, although I liked this. Pop the bonnet and the 4cyl engine looks lost in the engine bay, making you wonder why the front of the car is so long however, there is a 3.3l inline 6 diesel version of the CX-60 which soon fills the space.

That makes sense. The bonnet did seem quite long and this definitely resulted in smaller cabin space. When I set the front seats for myself, the legroom in the rear was less than in the X1.

I’ve just found a newly posted video review of the BMW iX1 20e (the first I could find) and the guy set it at 120kmh (74 mph) on cruise control and only got 201 miles range. He thought that was quite good, but that’s only one third of the range that we get on our 2.0i petrol X1. I really hope that the PHEV X1 joins the scheme next month (or, better still, the conventional petrol X1) as I am anxious about the poor real world range of an EV and I would find having to make charging stops on longer journeys a real chore.

kezo
            Participant

I’ve just found a newly posted video review of the BMW iX1 20e (the first I could find) and the guy set it at 120kmh (74 mph) on cruise control and only got 201 miles range. He thought that was quite good, but that’s only one third of the range that we get on our 2.0i petrol X1. I really hope that the PHEV X1 joins the scheme next month (or, better still, the conventional petrol X1) as I am anxious about the poor real world range of an EV and I would find having to make charging stops on longer journeys a real chore.

The range of EV’s can vary depending on how and what roads you drive, the outside temperature can also have an impact. If I’m honest, that concerns the sh!t out of me because I do frequent long journeys, with oneday having to do in an emergency. Unlike petrol or diesel that doesn’t massively vary in range between winter and summer an EV can. Like you, I would find stopping a chore but, in general don’t like stopping at best of times.

EV database is considered accurate and for the iX1 20 they state 170-355 miles

City – Cold Weather * 235 miles
              Highway – Cold Weather * 170 miles
              Combined – Cold Weather * 205 miles

City – Mild Weather * 355 miles
              Highway – Mild Weather * 225 miles
              Combined – Mild Weather * 280 miles

*Indication of real-world range in several situations. Cold weather: ‘worst-case’ based on -10°C with use of heating. Mild weather: ‘best-case’ based on 23°C and no use of A/C. For ‘Highway’ figures a constant speed of 70 mph is assumed. The actual range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather and route conditions.

ostberry
              Participant

Glos Guy, you may remember I also had the BMW X1 on the scheme three years ago. My handover is due in June and I have spent the last few weeks looking around for a replacement. I surprised myself after test driving the Skoda karoq how similar the driving and seating position is compared to the X1. I know it doesn’t compare to the overall luxury of BMW but my wife found it very easy to get comfortable in, so much so she has convinced me to place an order. But yes, I will miss the X1 .

Glos Guy
                Participant

Having now checked standard spec and options on loads of cars that I would consider, I have had to eliminate a number that you can’t get full leather (or faux leather) seats, which has ruled out cars such as the Kia Sportage and Ford Kuga. The lack of other kit that I consider to be important has also ruled out the Audi Q4, Volvo XC40 and Honda CR-V. There are a number of manufacturers that neither my wife or myself (or both) have any desire to splash out the thick end of £20k on, so they are off the list as well (personal choice, which we are all entitled to).

So, prior to the Quarter 2 launch tomorrow, I have managed to narrow my choice down to 4 cars but, in all honesty, I have some reservations about all of them, so I’m hoping that tomorrow brings a nice surprise! Here’s the list with the summary pros and cons as I see them, prior to test drives;

BMW iX1 20e M-Sport with Tech Plus Pack – AP £6,499. Pros – BMWs usually tick all the boxes for me in terms of build quality, refinement, performance, economy, handling and tech. Our current X1 (2.0i petrol 4WD) is near perfect and by far the best car we’ve had on the scheme. Cons – I’d much prefer a petrol X1, or if that’s never going to happen nowadays, a PHEV X1. Neither of us are terribly keen on going 100% electric until battery technology improves so that charge times and range (real, not quoted) are much closer to ICE cars (our current car has a 600 mile range and it takes a 5 minute fuel stop to regain that 600 miles from an empty tank). However, we realise that we have to have an open mind and may have to compromise in this respect if we wish to stay with Motability. We’d also need to add the thick end of £2k options to this car, and would still end up without some features that I’d ideally like. Also, BMWs mad decision to lose the iDrive rotary controller is a negative.

Hyundai Tucson 1.6T 265PS PHEV Ultimate – AP £5,499. Pros – No options possible and contains almost everything I’d want as standard. PHEV, so no range anxiety or having to make otherwise unnecessary stops on long journeys to recharge. Size pretty comparable to the X1. We have a great Hyundai dealership near us where I have bought cars privately for one of my daughters. Cons – No adaptive headlights and not even available as an option. Infotainment is all touch screen. Can all the irritating bings and bongs be disabled whilst still leaving the safety systems on? Hyundai have come on leaps and bounds in recent years, but BMWs are notably better in all the key areas that are important to me and I don’t want to feel that we’ve paid to go backwards from where we are currently with the X1.

Mazda CX-60 PHEV (either Homura or Takumi). AP on both £7,995 with included packs. Pros – Interior quality better than the Hyundai, but still no BMW. If I add the Driver Assistance Pack (£1,100) then it will have 100% of the essential and preferred features that I would like. Biggest car of the 4 and comparable to a BMW X3 sized SUV. PHEV, so no range anxiety or having to make otherwise unnecessary stops on long journeys to recharge. Cons – With the AP, options and sacrificed benefits, that’s an outlay of over £20k! Real world MPG looks like it will cost more to run than our 2.0i petrol X1 and we will be carting around all the weight of a PHEV. Road tests indicate that the suspension is firm and unsettled.

Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line with Driver Assist Pack. AP £3,999. Pros – Covers all my essential and preferred equipment, except 4WD. Petrol, so zero to full range in 5 minutes and not carting around the weight of an EV or PHEV battery. Similar size to X1. Cons – Quite dated. On paper it looks underpowered.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow sees an exciting new arrival that I haven’t considered, but I suspect that at least one of the above may disappear which, whilst disappointing, will help narrow the search further!

kezo
                  Participant

Hyundai Tucson 1.6T 265PS PHEV Ultimate – AP £5,499. Pros – No options possible and contains almost everything I’d want as standard. PHEV, so no range anxiety or having to make otherwise unnecessary stops on long journeys to recharge. Size pretty comparable to the X1. We have a great Hyundai dealership near us where I have bought cars privately for one of my daughters. Cons – No adaptive headlights and not even available as an option. Infotainment is all touch screen. Can all the irritating bings and bongs be disabled whilst still leaving the safety systems on? Hyundai have come on leaps and bounds in recent years, but BMWs are notably better in all the key areas that are important to me and I don’t want to feel that we’ve paid to go backwards from where we are currently with the X1.

The bings and bongs can be turned down so they are barely audible and certainly wouldn’t disturb when driving without the radio on.

The Ultimate has what I’d call cornering headlights.

There are loads of haptic buttons under the infotainment screen  for the main functions blowers etc, along with physical buttons on the centre console for heated ventilated seats and others. I’m not a fan of haptic buttons but, they are better than delving deep into the touchscreen, which is common these days. Even BMW got suckered into this on the 1 and 2 series.

There is a refreshed model will be available summer this year and will gain twin screens and will gain a dual function control panel similar to that seenb in the EV6/Ioniq 6.

The Tuscon is a very functiona car like its sister and have everything you want incuded along with being comfy to sit in, whils’t being one of the best roomier cabins in its class. Its an all inclusive car having everything as standard. The ventillated seats in particular have been a godsend to me. But its not a premium brand by any means.

I said to mrs mrs kezo last night why not go for the new E3008 at £400, to at least try an EV and run it locally, whilst keeping are private (2018 420d) car with a view to renewing it next year to somethng more suitable. Because whils’t I’m happy to pay for premium I’m no longer prepared to pay stupid money (nearly 20k) on base premium car before any options that I’ only have 3 years. The other option is call it quits and leave the scheme buy a nearly new X3, keep it 10 years, buy another which will near me to the end of my driving days!

indecisiveone
                    Participant

Anyone looked at the Hyundai ionic 5 N edition ?

hadnt even considered this one but with all the price rises it’s come on my radar

Remembered also that I saw one last week in car park and was a real head turner of a car

any thoughts anyone ? CoulD be too sporty if anything

MFillingham
                      Participant

Anyone looked at the Hyundai ionic 5 N edition ? hadnt even considered this one but with all the price rises it’s come on my radar Remembered also that I saw one last week in car park and was a real head turner of a car any thoughts anyone ? CoulD be too sporty if anything

N edition?

The Namsan Edition is a hugely equipped car but there’s an update coming at the end of the year that’ll see the end of it.  The replacement N Line will be very similar and changes something that people currently dislike about the 5.

The N however, is a beast of a sports version.  A near 3 tonne sports hatch that has sound and performance of a proper sporty hatchback but is that little bit bigger and cleaner.

Right now the Namsan for the same price as the AWD Ultimate with Tech Pack is great value.  Given the addition of heat pump and pano roof, it’s a decent upgrade from the already well specified Ultimate with Tech Pack.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                        I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

indecisiveone
                        Participant

Mark

what’s the difference between the namsan and the AWD ultimate With tech pack ?

MFillingham
                          Participant

Mark what’s the difference between the namsan and the AWD ultimate With tech pack ?

Heat pump – a system to take waste heat from the HV battery to warm the car, saving energy in cold weather.

Pano roof, with electric blind

Electrically powered rear bench

Digital Side Mirrors – cameras on the outside, screens inside away from the weather.  Brilliant in the rain, marginally better in the dark occasionally misting up in the mornings.

That’s it, but they’re each expensive additions, it’s just whether you find the value in there.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                            I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

ScotT
                            Spectator

Mark what’s the difference between the namsan and the AWD ultimate With tech pack ?

Heat pump – a system to take waste heat from the HV battery to warm the car, saving energy in cold weather. Pano roof, with electric blind Electrically powered rear bench Digital Side Mirrors – cameras on the outside, screens inside away from the weather. Brilliant in the rain, marginally better in the dark occasionally misting up in the mornings. That’s it, but they’re each expensive additions, it’s just whether you find the value in there.

Personally I would take the Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD over the Namsan editoin

The heat pump only moves heat from the battery/motors and ambient but this only comes into play in moderate journeys, if you regularly do short distances it would have any benefit.

the sun roof, is non opening, will make the cabin lighter, but you could choose the free lighter grey interior

DSM a talking point at first, bit of a gimmick this is why most manufactures have not gone that way, they also stick out quite a bit when parked up (folded in) also the Namsan production was halted for a short period due to the DSM failures, the new facelift Ioniq 5 has got a newer version of the DSM due to the traits/failures of the current versions.

You will also gain AWD instead of RWD, by this you will gain greater traction in all conditions over the RWD and not have the rear slip when cornering which the RWD can have in the wet, and the range reduction is very minimal.

a brilliant car in terms of current EV’s

Good luck with your choices

indecisiveone
                              Participant

Thanks Mark/Scott

Glos Guy
                                Participant

So, back on topic, I’m feeling a bit flat after the anti-climax that has been the Quarter 2 list. All four of my shortlisted cars remain, but I was hoping that the petrol or PHEV X1 would appear and it hasn’t.

The iX1 has gone up £250 but neither of us are convinced that we want to go EV yet. Can I live with all the range issues in order to stick with a BMW? Not sure. Also, due to all the extra weight of an EV, 200bhp is probably going to feel very underpowered.

The Tucson has come down £900, which is good news, but I just cannot get excited about getting a Hyundai. Need to look at it properly though, as it gets great reviews.

The Mazda CX-5 remains the same price and ticks every box on my requirements list (bar 4WD) but it seems outdated now. Reviews on it are all from years ago. I also think that it will feel underpowered

The Mazda CX-60 was probably my top pick on paper, prior to test drives. Prices have remained the same (I was hoping for a drop) but the top spec Hakumi loses an included pack (although I think I’m leaning to the Homura as I’m not sure about the Hakumi interior). I have re-watched some reviews today (and read others) and there is negative feedback on ride quality and the transition between EV and petrol modes.

My sense is that we are going to be best served by leaving the scheme, but my wife (who is the benefit recipient) prefers to stay with Motability. Also, we’ve had to rule out my first choice private car (BMW X5) as it’s too big for my wife to get in and out of and the split level tailgate would be a complete pain with the wheelchair.

Im going to take my wife to look at the Mazdas and Hyundai this week. I suspect that will narrow the 4 down even further ?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Glos Guy.
                                  • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Glos Guy.
                                  ScotT
                                  Spectator

Good luck, you can always rejoin the scheme at any time remember.

HM
                                    Participant

Have you looked at the new mini countryman glos guy? We put an order in 2 weeks ago after having a test drive. It’s so much better in person than online. It’s only a 1.5 but has the same 0-60 time as the sportage.  With the level 2 pack it comes really well specked. The bench seats can be slid forward giving you more boot space when needed to 505 ltr. The only thing it doesn’t have as standard on the level 2 pack is electrical adjusted seats but this is something we don’t need as both me and my husband drive in the same driving position and never adjust the seats but understand this can be a deal breaker for some. Our Volvo xc40 Motability lease ended in September and have been waiting for the right car to come along. The xc40 has been a fantastic car apart from the 2.0 ltr engine drank fuel so hoping this will be better with the mini. We had also looked at the formentor and sportage, the sportage was a great car but I didn’t love it. We were due to order an x2 when it was put on by mistake but I’m not sure if that will ever come back on. I’ve always loved mini but it’s never quite ticked all the boxes we require for a family car until now. When I first saw it revealed online we were unsure until we saw it in person. It’s good quality, well specked and great to drive. Hopefully looking at end of July delivery.

Glos Guy
                                      Participant

Have you looked at the new mini countryman glos guy? We put an order in 2 weeks ago after having a test drive. It’s so much better in person than online. It’s only a 1.5 but has the same 0-60 time as the sportage. With the level 2 pack it comes really well specked. The bench seats can be slid forward giving you more boot space when needed to 505 ltr. The only thing it doesn’t have as standard on the level 2 pack is electrical adjusted seats but this is something we don’t need as both me and my husband drive in the same driving position and never adjust the seats but understand this can be a deal breaker for some. Our Volvo xc40 Motability lease ended in September and have been waiting for the right car to come along. The xc40 has been a fantastic car apart from the 2.0 ltr engine drank fuel so hoping this will be better with the mini. We had also looked at the formentor and sportage, the sportage was a great car but I didn’t love it. We were due to order an x2 when it was put on by mistake but I’m not sure if that will ever come back on. I’ve always loved mini but it’s never quite ticked all the boxes we require for a family car until now. When I first saw it revealed online we were unsure until we saw it in person. It’s good quality, well specked and great to drive. Hopefully looking at end of July delivery.

Hi. Thanks for the response. The X1 that we currently have is as small as we can afford to go, given the need to cart a wheelchair around and still have a comfortable amount of space in the rear passenger compartment. Unfortunately the Countryman is a little too small for us, but I like Mini’s and I’m sure that you will love your new car.

Noel
                                        Participant

They are the same size now, have grown even bigger.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Noel.
                                          HM
                                          Participant

No problem Glos guy. Hopefully something comes on the scheme that meets your needs. Good thing is you like your current so you can just wait for the right car to come along, that was our plan. We’re on a two year extension and always planned to keep the car for about four years. I think it’s awful that Motability have stopped the two year lease extensions at the same time as the AP prices going up especially with the limited selection of ice cars.

Glos Guy
                                            Participant

No problem Glos guy. Hopefully something comes on the scheme that meets your needs. Good thing is you like your current so you can just wait for the right car to come along, that was our plan. We’re on a two year extension and always planned to keep the car for about four years. I think it’s awful that Motability have stopped the two year lease extensions at the same time as the AP prices going up especially with the limited selection of ice cars.

Thanks. I agree with you. Off to the Mazda dealership today to see what my wife makes of the CX-60 and CX-5.

ScotT
                                              Spectator

Thanks. I agree with you. Off to the Mazda dealership today to see what my wife makes of the CX-60 and CX-5.

Keep us updated, how you get on with Mazda

fingers crossed you find something, the the CX5 and CX60 look fantastic

kezo
                                                Participant

fingers crossed you find something, the the CX5 and CX60 look fantastic

A little birdie tells me GG won’t like the ride quality of the cx60 ?

kezo
                                                  Participant

@Glos-Guy

Maybe too low – Cupra Formenter PHEV 245.

How did it go today?

Glos Guy
                                                    Participant

@Glos-Guy Maybe too low – Cupra Formenter PHEV 245. How did it go today?

Hi @kezo Well it’s been a frustrating but also very interesting day! Grab a cuppa, make yourself comfortable and here goes ?

We started off at the Bristol Mazda dealership (which is in a god awful location) and my wife missed the wheelchair getting out our car and I had to grab her and take her whole weight to stop her falling on the floor. Thankfully she’s not my size, but taking someone’s entire body weight at a difficult angle when they can’t support themselves at all could have been catastrophic for both of us ?‍?

First up we looked at the CX-60. My wife liked the exterior (the Soul Red one I sat in last week had been moved outside and replaced with a grey one) but, like me, didn’t like the interior of the top of the range Takumi. The cloth dashboard and yellow wood scream at each other and neither looks good. So if we were to go for one it would be a Homura with a black interior. I put the passenger seat on the lowest setting and I thought it looked no higher than the seat on our X1, but it was just a bit higher and my wife couldn’t get into it, as it would mean pulling herself up slightly, which she can’t do. So the CX-60 was sadly immediately eliminated. Shame as I was quite keen on it, but having watched a number of mixed reviews last night we might have dodged a bullet!

Thinking that the CX-5 would be fine, as it’s more like the X1, we immediately hit another snag with that as well. There is no proper interior grab handle on the door, it’s just a tiny indentation in the door armrest. It’s not deep enough, or shaped, to allow a firm enough hold for my wife to pull herself up from the wheelchair, so that car was also immediately eliminated. So within 10 minutes we had eliminated both Mazdas and, by definition, 50% of the cars on our short list ? In fact we spent longer in the poorly equipped disabled loo (only one grab handle on one side) than we did looking at the cars!

So, at this point, if we stay with Motability, we are now down to just the BMW iX1 and the Hyundai Tucson PHEV.

My wife tires very easily, so I thought that would be it for the day, but she said she felt up to trying one other dealership, so we went to our (fairly) local Hyundai dealership on the way home to look at the Tucson. We’d already looked at the X1 in Cheltenham and know that access is fine, but much as I love BMWs and our current X1 has been superb, both of us have reservations about going EV due to the poor range and not wishing to be faffing about with charging stops on long journeys. Convenience is significantly more important to us than running costs.

As we walked in, one of the salesmen instantly recognised me, as I’ve bought 2 new private i20s there for one of my daughters. He’s a really helpful, and knowledgeable, young guy and nothing is too much trouble. He showed us an N-Line Tucson in the showroom but when I said that we would be interested in the Ultimate he went and found a brand new unregistered one and drove it around to the outside of the dealership and let us loose on it. Even though it was brand new, he was quite happy with me trying the wheelchair in the boot. On paper the boot is bigger than the X1 but it seemed no bigger, possibly even a tad smaller, but the wheelchair fits ?

When we opened the passenger door, my heart sank as it has the same setup as the Cx-5. No proper grab handle that you can get your hand all the way around, but a recess in the armrest. However, the hole was wider, deeper and had some shape to it, so my wife was able to get in OK. Phew! First impressions were that the interior quality, whilst not bad, was below the Mazda and significantly below our BMW. Not a show stopper, but very noticeably a few steps down. This wasn’t a surprise to me though as I’m very familiar with the brand.

Obviously the selling point of Hyundai’s are the standard kit and obviously in that respect the Ultimate delivers in spades. My worry would be that the infotainment and driver aids may not work as well as the same systems in the BMW. I had that issue with our last VW. It had all the kit and driver aid systems, but none of them worked as well as the same systems in BMWs. I also felt that the infotainment system looked very dated compared to the latest generation cars and, as is the case with so many cars these days (including the new X1 and iX1), it’s all touchscreen. Daft and dangerous IMHO. My wife liked it and I didn’t dislike it, but it’s going to feel like a big step down.

However, the sales guy then tells us that Hyundai have stopped taking orders of the current Tucson as production is switching to a facelifted model. They can source current model cars that are already built but anticipate it being some weeks until they can take orders on the facelift. If we placed a Motability order with him though he would make sure that we get the facelift at the current price (which was reduced £900 yesterday). I told you he was good! I wouldn’t want to order until the detailed spec is released though and certainly not before having test driven the current PHEV, so I’m prepared to risk that it might disappear off the list or the AP may rise by then. Besides, our order window doesn’t open for another 3 weeks.

He then showed us some photos of the facelift model. The exterior is a bit ‘spot the difference’, but does look a bit better (I’m not a fan of Hyundai styling). However, the interior is transformed. The facelift model has the long continuous dashboard display panel with 12.5” instrument cluster running seemlessly into another 12.5” infotainment screen. Looks near identical to the latest BMW screen (and probably the Sportage) and the interface is a lot better than the current setup. Still some way short of BMWs latest system (but then again everything is), but perfectly liveable. The facelift will also have matrix adapted headlights and head-up display available. No spec details are released yet, so I don’t know if these will be standard on the Ultimate or cost options, but Hyundai option prices are usually quite reasonable.

They don’t have a PHEV demonstrator at present, but he’s expecting some in a few weeks time so is going to register one then and call me, when I can have it for at least half a day.

So, if we stay in the scheme the facelifted Tucson may be an option. As you know, I’m very open to leaving the scheme, but we had to eliminate my first choice (BMW X5) as it’s too high and the split tailgate would be a nightmare with the wheelchair. That leaves the BMW X3 and Porsche Macan, but after today my wife feels that both will be too high. She really can’t cope with anything higher than the X1 / Tucson. Also, there’s the cost. Whilst we can afford a new X3 or Macan, my wife (who is quite in to cars as well) feels that it’s daft to spend circa £60k on a car, given our low usage nowadays. In all fairness, she has a point. If the Tucson doesn’t work out and we revert to the X1 – and we both remain nervous about getting an EV – I might raise the subject of us buying a petrol X1 privately. However, with the spec I’d want that’s going to be approaching £50k, so the same issue will arise.

So, that’s where we are. Frustrating in many respects, but we continue to narrow down our choices and feel like we might be getting somewhere, but it’s not going to be an outcome that I would have predicted!

72 dudes
                                                      Participant

@Glos Guy

Very frustrating for you. To be fair Kezo’s suggestion of the Cupra Formentor PHEV is a good one, about the same height as the X1, but unlikely to have the same interior quality.

I just don’t think you will like the way the Tucson drives.

Ignoring for the moment that you don’t feel ready for an EV, it may be worth knowing the the iX1 30 is now available on the scheme with the 309 BHP motor, albeit in X Line trim. One of your reservations of the 20 model was perhaps a lack of performance.

EV range requires a slightly different mindset. How often do you cover more than 200 miles in a day? Would you ever need to plan a longer journey which requires using a public charger. If you did, would it really be such a chore to plan ahead and use the BMW satnav or a charger app to tell you where the convenient chargers are located en route and whether they are working or in use? The BMW satnav even suggests where to stop and what % you will have left when you get there!

Don’t think of it as “filling up” like in an ICE car. Think how many miles am I likely to do in the next few days. Right I’ll charge to 80% and that’ll give me 180 miles. We’ve had our i4 a month and I’ve only charged it 3 times, and then only to add about 40% to keep it topped up

Maybe it’s time to disavow yourself of your current reservations? I say this as someone who had no intention of getting an EV before the i4 appeared on the scheme.

Food for thought ?
                                                        <p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
                                                        2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
                                                        2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 150 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.