The PC and all tech related stuff.

• Creator
    Topic
    joss

The PC and all tech related stuff.

Discuss:Help:Advice:Tech related: and More.

Joss
      Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 239 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Tharg
      Participant

@Phaedra Thanks for the C-Cleaner tip. I downloaded and installed it. It said “free” all the time until I tried to run it. Then asked for dosh. Don’t mind paying if it is going to work. Just a bit worried that I might be giving payment details to some conmen. Has it changed from free software, d’you think?

Phaedra
        Participant

No, there’s def a free version,

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Far left option,

When it comes time to update you may be asked if you want to upgrade, just say no thanks, next screen gives the option to download the free version.

If you go into the Options menu (cog icon on the left side) you should see 2 options, Upgrade to Pro or Start Free Trial, use the Free trial.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Tharg
          Participant

Thanks, Phaedra. All sorted now. Will look more carefully in future.

joss

Ccleaner used to be good. Not so much now as you can do what cc does on your pc if you have win 10 Pro.

Just be careful when setting up to do a clean up.

Joss

joss

For attention of Win 10 users.

This Tuesday the 9th of February 2021 Micros soft released a major update that fixed many issues.

I can emphasis  how import this update is for win 10 users. So make sure you let windows update download and install these updates.

Joss

Tharg
                Participant

Oh buggrit! Just yesterday went in and reverted my mek to before that update because it slowed everything down again – terribly. Guess I’d better go and pick it up again and put up with Commodore Pet processing periods!

joss

Tharg You should not have to keep doing that. Going back to last restore point, because it’s running slow.. Something is amiss. Do the updates and it may well just fix that issue!

Joss

Tharg
                    Participant

Received and understood, Joss. Will go get the bits…

joss

Let me know how you get on tharg

Joss

Tharg
                        Participant

Will do, Joss

Tharg
                          Participant

Sorry, Joss. It’s beaten me again. I go to “How to reinstall an update on Windows 10”. It says:
                            Open Settings. no probs
                            Click Update & security. fine
                            Click on Windows Update. as above
                            Click the Check of updates button to trigger an update check, which will redownload and install the update automatically again. Not there; closest I get is “View update history” giving data re updates but not doing the reinstall bit
                            Click the Restart Now button to complete the task. don’t get this far!

What can I try next? It really is going very slowly. Some googled stuff says I should reinstall Windows. Worth a try? Or will it totally booger the whole lot?

joss

Ok there is a possibility that it has already done the update and that’s why your not seeing it.

If that was the case you would see ” your up to date” in windows update. Here is a pic of mine. Look at the picture. Do you see where it says “View update history ” if so click on it and you should then see what I have in the second picture. If you see update history use the snip tool and take a snap shot and post it here.

Joss

Tharg
                              Participant

@joss Sorry for the rude lack of reply. I did actually write one but I guess I’d been signed out because of the update and it did not get here! So, thanks for that. Things are going a bit quicker now so I assume the updates have gone in. Moreover, it tell me that a new Win 10 can be had – ver 20H2 – is it safe and/or desirable to load this?

joss

@Tharg No worries. I have done the post thing myself when I thought I was logged in and was not.

Glad speed has picked up. with the updates. I have been using the V.20H2 for some time Tharg. There have been a few patches which is normal. So yes. Update to that version if you like. I recommend it.

Joss

Tharg
                                  Participant

Well, it has finally finished Win Upgrade – only took four hours. Kept stopping, starting, restarting and freezing. Left it alone to sort itself out. Seems to work even though I’m getting odd messages like saying I’ve to reset password because “it has been changed”. Don’t trust this. Will wait and see what happens.

joss

what password is it referring too?

Joss

Tharg
                                      Participant

Don’t know, Joss. It all sounded so dodgy, I kicked the msg/page off screen and restarted. Hasn’t come up again. Will let you know of it does.

joss

Patch Tuesday the 9th of March 2021

Microsoft has released a major patch to its windows 10 OS. March 9, 2021—KB5000802 (OS Builds 19041.867 and 19042.867) Also Updates for Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows Server, version 20H2 and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/release-health/

All versions are covered in this release. major critical updates and security updates.

Check for updates NOW

Joss

brydo

I’m sure there will be guys on the forum who know about this but online chatter is rife about an announcement in the next day or so from Microsoft releasing Windows 11.

Anyone know more about this?

joss

Sure I know plenty about the so called Windows 11 release.

Firstly It is NOT a new version of windows.

If anything it’s a make over of windows 10 and not a lot more.

If you youTube windows 11 there are loads of reviews  about win 11. Most agree it is just a make over.

Joss

brydo

I’m having problems updating windows 10, tried every YouTube video with no success, hopefully this Windows 11 update will successfully download.

ajn

✋ 🗣 👂😳 rumours Brydo..🤐..

😂😂

joss

I’m having problems updating windows 10, tried every YouTube video with no success, hopefully this Windows 11 update will successfully download.

Sorry to say I had this issue a few months back Brydo. The only solution that worked for me was to basically run repair of your windows install. Takes a while but it works.

Basically your running and older version of win 10, so it needs updating to  newest version.

follow instructions in this image or go here and scroll down to How to fix Windows Update installing latest version

Joss

Brydo

Tried that Joss, and many more, didn’t work. I tried quite a few that were technical, well they were for me, no joy. Gave it to a guy who fixes computers who tried a few things, said it was fixed but it wasn’t.

Brydo

Just looked at my Device Manager and am getting this reading “Qualcomm Atheros” “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”. Will have a look tomorrow and see if i can fix it.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 239 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.