The PC and all tech related stuff.

• Creator
    Topic
    joss

The PC and all tech related stuff.

Discuss:Help:Advice:Tech related: and More.

Joss
      Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 239 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      rox
      Participant

Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

https://www.openoffice.org/

Tharg
        Participant

Joss – please take your time. I shall be ages catching up with all you’ve given me already. Will go to places you recommend. Also try to find out which version of Win 10 is on here. Will be in touch…

joss

Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose. https://www.openoffice.org/

Totally agree with Rox. I have used Open office for years now. Just like I use Notepad++ instead of note pad.

@Tharg
            just ask if you need help Tharg.

Joss

Tharg
            Participant

Thanks, chaps. Have bookmarked ’em. I think I only need a simple thingey like Wordpad. But times change and it is good to have the others in reserve. Still applying myself to making sure everything I want to work actually does. And I certainly WILL ask if I need even more help. Thanks for your patience – I realise that many of my issues are really basic newbie things.

Tharg
              Participant

So, I thought I really ought to make sure new machine works with old printer. In the “old days” this meant hunting down the right printer driver. Loading it on PC and making sure everything communicated by the same bit of kit. But things have moved on. Must be easier now, right? Well, no. Spent hours going through Win 10’s instructions to make printer work. PC could see the printer. Told me it was ready and capable of receiving job and printing it. Lies like a cheap rug! No print. No error msg. Something called wizard popped up with indecipherable tecknospeak. Then I actually did get a print out by driving through many layers to the “troubleshoot” routine. This told me it can’t do it, then went off in a huff but made some prints, albeit wrong ones, come out. Had to do this every time I wanted to print. Then a printer APP arrived. Knew I was doomed. No idea what it does. Couldn’t understand a single bloody word.

So, back to “old days” then. Search for and downloaded the right printer driver. Installed on PC by pressing “install” button. Printer works. Ho hum.

joss

Tharg. My dear boy I love reading your posts. I do have to smile 😁

As a matter of fact I always search for and use priority drivers for hardware. I learned that lesson mean years back. However, you have fiddled and fuddled your way through to find the right solution to your problem. So Bravo old boy👍 We will make a techie out of you yet.

When stuck don’t forget to visit Win 10 Forums. https://www.tenforums.com/

Joss

rox
                  Participant

Arh yes plug and play often it will make a device work but often you need the software for the device to have all functions working, especially with a printer.

joss

Arh yes plug and play often it will make a device work but often you need the software for the device to have all functions working, especially with a printer.

Exactly rox. PNP does not give full functionality

Joss

Tharg
                      Participant

Joss – glad to be able to bring some entertainment to the subject. I reckon (almost) everything in Off Topic should at least try to raise a laugh. As it happens, I used to be regarded as a bit of a “techie”  back in the day when newspapers were moving on to computers. Had to learn how to use big mainframe monsters with no instruction books. Then went on to introduce the early, now basic, Macs into the whole journalism business. Found the early Mac intuitive approach easy to use and understand. Could also take them apart physically and stuff more memory inside. Which is why, I suppose, I struggle so much with Windows. So much hidden away and couched in indecipherable US techno-babble.

Am just about to download the Apache stuff. Windows lets me use Wordpad to create a document. When I file and close, it changes to to a Word document and won’t let me open it unless I buy Word from Msft. Now, maybe I actually do not have to buy the damn thing but I ain’t figured out how yet. Won’t need to soon!

Tharg
                        Participant

AHA!  That’ll be “Open with” then..!

Tharg

@joss Well, I reckon you are making a techie out of me: having discovered how to stream music on new laptop, I thought I’d try to output it as digital data to my stereo system. This is a Quad 9AS integrated speakers with amp inside. It has a great digital-analogue converter which does wonders with digital data from crap CD player. So set to work to find out how to do it via Windows and HP and indy help sites. BIG mistake. Two hours of my life gone forever.. Gave up. Had the right USB lead; knew what holes to put ’em in. So, here’s where I realised one of the great rules of techiedom – bung it all in, turn it on and see if it works. It did. Classic FMs’ operating system (app) Global Player looked down the wires, “Oh, you’ve got a Quad 9AS, then,” it said, “Here you go then, I’ve connected it.”  Great result. I’d say better than CD quality, but still not as good as a high-quality bit of vinyl.

joss

Sometimes magic happens when your least expecting it. Job well done Tharg. So you got back your 2 hours lol

Joss

Tharg

As a probationary tekkie (courtesy of Joss), I know I should be able to work this out but the online help stuff defeats me. So, can anyone help with matching a bass-speaker/woofer (silly name) to an amplifier. Details too complex to go into right now but will provide if needed. Shouldn’t need it really, but ones ear’oles are pretty knackered and do not hear the lower frequencies when listening to a full orchestra doing, say, film score.

joss

Is this via your laptop Tharg? Going to want a little more details I think

Joss

joss

<p style=”text-align: center;”>How to Connect a Subwoofer to an Amplifier:</p>
                                    It may seem like an easy speaker to install. But there are a few things that you should think about when wiring up your subwoofer.

So, what do we need to know when we consider how to connect a subwoofer? There are two main ways of connecting a subwoofer to your speaker system:

1. Low-level connection: also known as an LFE, .1 or line-level connection: 2. High-level connection: also known as a speaker level connection:

The one that you will use will usually depend on the type of amplifier that you are using to power your speakers. And sometimes on the type of audio that you are listening to. Many subwoofers will have both connection types. However, some may have only one or the other. Some subwoofers,have a separate low-level and LFE connection. However, most brands will just have a low-level and/or a high-level input.

It’s a good idea to check this before you buy a new subwoofer. To make sure that it has the right input connections for your system. Although, in most cases, you won’t have a problem.

What Is a Low-Level Subwoofer Connection?

The low-level connection on the rear of a subwoofer will look something like this: To read more, click this link

Not sure if this what your after Tharg, But it is a good guide.

Joss

Tharg

@joss Thanks for that. Need to read in detail soon. Did not put much detail in first post because wasn’t sure whether you are as knowledgeable about HiFi as you are on PCs. So… PC not directly involved in this; only used to put digital feed into amp when I want to listen to Amazon stuff.

I know choosing and connecting a (sub)woofer is a thing to be done carefully. Especially when using relatively  powerful amps. Do not want to blow up speakers and/or amps nor cause fires. The amp I have is integrated into the speakers: Quad 9AS models. Nominal power rating of 100w RMS. Max output says 200w in the manual. Have not been able to find out how this relates to ohm rating (understand this is part of the calculation). Believe the speaker part of the Quad are 10 ohms but not sure and having trouble checking.

Understand that woofers can be powered or “passive”, ie run off amp signal without need for external power. I think I need only a passive one. Moreover, do not want to blow windows out. What I am trying to ascertain is what ohm rating I should be looking for in the speaker and, indeed, whether I should be checking its wattage rating, if it has one. So, will go read the stuff you’ve sent and get back to you. Thanks again…

joss

It’s all in the link Tharg

Joss

Tharg

Joss. Many thanks, again. Have not had time to go to link. More digital mayhem fell from sky to take up our time – TV stopped showing all non-Sky data; applications disappeared from its app thingey. Have mended it now. Wish I knew how. Now trying to make Eurosport Player app load on to TV. Suspect it won’t and will have to cast from the PC. Nuisance but needed to watch snooker in detail.

Will let you know how I get on with me woofers…

joss

Eee-by-gum Tharg lad, your in the tech wars. What you need is a Gromit to assist you, Cheese and crackers usually work. What skybox do you have? I find any issues can often be resolved simply by unplugging the sky box from the power supply. Wait 15-20 mins then plug the box back in to wall socket and then press power button on sky remote.

Joss

Tharg

Mate… Sky box is a Q version. Have solved digital station problem by re-loading/addressing all aerial channels. Now work fine. Still poking about on web to see if Eurospt Player can be put on TV. (TV is a Sony Bravia NON-android one). Would appear not because needs to be downloaded from Google Play which only works on android tellies. Will continue to prod the thing though, it’s a challenge, innit?

joss

Tharg. I recently took up an offer for Spy Q for Nil coin. as I have been long time customer 25 years plus. Great box. If I can grab remote off family, I will check the euro sport thing on my box. Keep fiddling. That’s how you learn😁

Joss

Tharg

Joss – can’t find any trace on Sky. Hope I have looked in all the right places. It seems that the Eurosport App is only available on Android Tellies, which mine is not (Sony Bravia). It is available through Amazon Prime, which I have (for tennis) but you have to buy it from Amazon even if you subscribe to it direct from Eurosport. As before, I can get it on laptop and cast it to the TV via the Google Chromecast. It just seems damn silly to have to go to all that button pushing stuff when the program sorry, app, will obviously play quite happily.

If I remember rightly, Sony TV used to have hundreds of apps available through the TV (Inc. Eurosport player) but these have inexplicably shrunk to about 12. No doubt in an attempt to get me to spend more money by buying a new Sony telly.

joss

I did check and found under sports Euro sports 1 and 2. Don’t need no app. My tv is a Sony

Joss

Tharg

JOss – Yup, that’s right. Difficult to understand if one is nota snooker watcher. Esport 1 and 2 are the main channels easily available of Sky. Eurosport Player is the App which is their equivalent of the Red Button. When main channels two main matches, the Player will do coverage from others. Like the Beeb do with tennis on the Red Button.

Found out that to load it on TV one needs to get Google Play on the telly and pull it from there. However., that only works on Android tellies. Have given up searching. New PC is much better than Samsung at casting to Chromecast. Takes a few seconds to start not 3 or 4 minutes.

Tharg

@joss As a result of tekkyization I have discovered online music streaming. Wow. So much available. If I want to hear an LP I last listened to four decades ago, couple of clicks, and there it is. Brilliant. Now, to use the Amazon/BBC/etc service I connect the PC to the Quad (send digital via USBs) and cheap old systems in kitchen (analogue by headphone jack to RCAs). Works fine. Bit of a pain having to carry the PC around and connect/disconnect every time. Thought I might connect a dedicated bit of cheap kit and that’s why I’m writing here.

What do you reckon about my options? I can get a dead cheap tablet, like the Amazon Fire 7, to connect to both. Or I can get a Bluetooth receiver and send from PC. What do you think would be better? Not too worried about music quality, can work round that. But what about range of transmission/receiving? For example, using PC in kitchen is at limit of router range. Would a tablet give up? And does Bluetooth suffer range problems? Have  looked at “reviews” stuff on interweb but, as ever, no straight answers there. So thought I’d ask a proper expert…

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 239 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.