The PC and all tech related stuff.

• Creator
    Topic
    joss

The PC and all tech related stuff.

Discuss:Help:Advice:Tech related: and More.

Joss
      Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 239 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

I’m an avid apple-avoider so this is logic based, not specific experience based, but many systems have more than one recovery option – is there an email address connected to the account?

Alternatively, as you obviously still have access to the device, is there a way to edit or add to the recovery options, or will Apple insist on getting confirmation from the existing phone number?

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

George

Hi Joss, what’s your opinion of this gaming pc and any info on the company?

https://www.stormforcegaming.co.uk/crystal-rtx-2060-super-ryzen-5-3600x.html

PROCESSOR

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

6 Cores, 12 Threads

Core Frequency 3.8GHz

Max Boost Clock 4.4GHz

32MB L3 Cache

120mm All in One Watercooler with RGB Lighting

MEMORY

Kingston Hyper X Fury16GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM

Supports up to 32GB

4 DIMM sockets (2 used)

HARD DRIVE

1TB 3.5” HDD

250GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD

SOFTWARE

Windows 10 Home

MOTHERBOARD

ASUS PRIME X570-P

GRAPHICS

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 Super 8GB Graphics Card

NETWORKING

300Mbps WiFi

POWER SUPPLY

500w PSU

LEDS

RGB Lighting

CASE

Cooler Master Masterbox 5 Lite Black – RGB ATX Case

1x USB 3.0

1x USB 2.0

2x audio jacks

WARRANTY/MISCELLANEOUS

3 Year Collect, Repair and Return Warranty

£1,189.99

joss

Hello George

On the whole not bad. A little to expensive, but that’s me looking at building it myself.

Excellent AMD cpu and Asus MB.

There is better ram options than Kingston Hyper X Fury16GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM. However it’s still good for the system.

Power supply @500w is somewhat lacking IMHO. 650 minimum I would spec.

250GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD is ok but 500GB would be cool. Still 250 is a lot of space for OS and games. Everything else install to HDD.

Over all it’s not bad for the money. I would recommend you take a look at Overclockers uk and see what they have to offer. You can spec your own build there plus it’s a great company.

Joss

George

Thanks for the info Joss I appreciate your input. This rig will be purely for gaming only as my adult son has autism and plays a lot of online tournament games mostly  BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle but also other games mainly at 1080p. Gaming has helped his social skills and he has met some very nice gamers from all over Europe who know of his condition and about 15 of them including my son met up recently for a big tournament game in London. My son came 15th out of the 100 who played BlazBlue he was well chuffed.

The other company I was looking at was Chillblast (they are within a 90 min drive) but I will look at overclockers. My biggest fear ordering online is trusting a courier company that the pc builders will use. They build expensive rigs for people and use the cheapest couriers to get it to customers and there are some horror stories about the state the pc arrives in.

Thanks again Joss.

joss

Hi George

That is great to read about how gaming has helped your son. I used to run a fairly large clan here for the Battlefield franchise and other games. It is great to build a good community who are helpful and support of other players.

I take your point about the horror stories of  Mail order deliveries. Though I will say I have never had any issues myself. Most of my stuff comes from overclockers and they use DPL couriers.

Joss

vinalspin
                Participant

Needs 64gb of ram, the better option would be a SSD PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe like the Seagate FireCuda 1TB, 5000/4400 MB/s sequential read/write or an alternative with at least close speeds, Gigabyte motherboard would be a preference as less buggy than Asus and around same cost, I would throw in an 850 Watt(80 PLUS Bronze certified) fully modular PSU, the 650 is junk, so is the case if I’m honest, seems like they have saved money on stuff you might not notice initially and while to me it’s expensive to most it looks a bargain and they have to make their profit somewhere.

I have literally just done 2 builds this week admittedly higher specs but the basics were about what you would be looking for and I could throw one together with better performing, more reliable specs foe that kind of money.

Participant

I have to agree regarding the case – I have one of them myself, housing an old Intel system for my 7 year old son, but having built in it, I certainly wouldn’t choose one myself. Having said that, I’m not sure there’s much in the way of options with that site (not a dig, just an observation).

Curious though, common opinion is that very few people ever need more than 16GB of RAM (although I admit to having 32 in two of my personal systems, but the first is an older DDR3 system and I got the memory when it was dirt cheap, and when I built my last system I HAD to do 32 as that’s what the old system had but I really don’t need it in either system) but I can’t help but think 64 is definitely overkill for anything other than possibly rendering video in 4k. Very few games will make use of it – there’s almost no reason for game developers to code for that quantity of memory as so few systems have it.  8 will do most people, and 16 is more than enough for the vast majority.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

joss

My preferred case would be a Phantek. They make great quality cases. I agree with colin that 64 gb of ram is total over kill. I run 16GB of team dark Tforce DDR4 3200 ram along with A Ryzen 7 Black edition CPU with and over clock to 4.1Ghz.

Here’s a few pics of it during build.

Joss

vinalspin
                      Participant

Maybe overkill but I run 3 systems and it always bugs me that the one with 32 just isn’t as snappy, guess I’m being picky, I do some rendering so 4 me it’s a must but I suppose for gaming 32 would be fine.

Didn’t seem to have a better case option on that site, maybe source elsewhere?

JS
                        Participant

ive had to start reusing my laptop recently, ive forgot how to do things on it lol, ive been so used to tablets/smart phones etc, anyway Bing has highjacked my search engine, not that i mind but its not the point i wasnt asked lol, ive bypassed it with a shortcut to google search, but any laymans ways to get rid of this Bing (and trust me i need laymans terms) or is windows 10/edge always going to overide my choice.

thanks in advance

joss

Hi JS I hate edge. Try this and see if it helps. https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/129682-ms-edge-search-engine-defaults-bing.html

Joss

JS
                            Participant

thanks joss i will give it a go later as i think the garden has been missing me the last couple of days due to weather, ive been waiting to finish off some bases for planters i made so i can plant them with the flowers that are now overtaking the pots they came in, that sounds a better prospect than the frustrations and risk of me throwing the laptop lol.

Tharg

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but has anyone any experience of “bimmercode” which, I am led to believe, is a software method of changing stuff in the electronic control unit of BMWs and Minis?

I simply want to shut up the damn silly vroomy engine noise generator (which plays through the stereo speakers) so I can hear the real engine sounds. Bit odd, I know, but I like to hear what the thing is doing so I can judge if it’s gone wrong.

joss

Hey Tharg Bimmercode is well used in BMW circles and forums. But if that is you want to do, maybe ask dealer if they will turn it off. That way there will be no warrantee issues.

https://www.bimmercode.app/ You win need OBD adaptor as well.

Joss

Tharg

Thanks, Joss. I’ll take you, expert, advice and ask me dealer. I had googled the subject and, as ever with TeknoMekno issues, came up with contradictory, confusing, compu-speak which assumed I knew everything and told me nothing. I got the impression that it would not be a good idea to try and fiddle with it meself, not least because I don’t own a mobile phone. Your reaction confirms it ain’t for me. Cheers…

joss

From what I have read about the fake engine thing is that it is played and amplified through the radio system.

Videos of guys removing wires from the amp ect made me think, F—that. There is also no guarantee that bimmercode could fix the issue. Reason being non of the tech videos mention using software to nurf the fake sound.

Hence me suggesting the dealership option. Tell them it interferes with your brain implant lol

Joss

Tharg

Too right, Joss. F**k that was my reaction too. Just wondered whether it was simpler than it sounds. Reckon it ain’t! Loads of contradictory “advice” to be had, including a couple of “just pull out the fuse” suggestions, complete with diagrams showing (different) fuses to pull; some show three fuses to come out! So, I’m ignoring that as well. (Fuseboard completely inaccessible for normal human being anyway!)

Will speak to dealer when time is right. Will try to make the brain-implant  excuse; just hope they don’t check because radiation from my wife’s mobile Twatfone dissolved the implant ages ago!

Tharg

@joss – need your help, my friend. Need a new computer. Old one literally falling apart. Screen/lid is broke and about to fall off. It is a Samsung RV510 (Intel Celeron T3500 2.13GHz, 3Gb, 500Gb, DVDSMDL, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit – all of which means very little to me!) I use it simply for emaillery/ordering stuff online; writing letters and stuff to print out, storing and viewing photos and sometimes to cast TV programmes to my telly.

Have considered a Chromebook but very worried that I’ll not be able to use it. Understand they’re very like mobile phones and those engines of the devil defeat me completely. Also worried that I will not be able to transfer stuff over from the Samsung. So, I reckon I need something like the Samsung. What do you think?And if I do need a PC/Windows thing, what a good one?

Cheers

joss

You rang Tharge .

Sounds like you seriously need to upgrade to a new lap top Tharge.  what’s your budget?

Joss

Tharg

Joss, really don’t know what a budget should be for one of these. Would £300-£400 cover it? Think that about matches what we paid for the Samsung (allowing for inflation). Do you think that would get me a decent, basic machine? As above, only need what I think are simple functions; no mega-gaming stuff; don’t need to run anything complex like Photoshop (sadly). Most important function (aside from contributing here) is ordering supermarket deliveries online. Sad but  true. Does that help? If you need any more info, just say.

Thanks everso for your help. I really am out of depth here!

Tharg

No urgency for reply, Joss. Have to shut down now because otherwise I shall become part of this bloody machine. Been on it all day (see “Today I…” thread). Going to find computer-free hole to crawl into.

rox
                                                Participant

Pretty much i’d suggest getting something with at least 8gb of ram, even if it’s only for searching the web etc.

i’m guessing it’s a laptop you want not a desktop pc.

Although alot these days  most seem not to have a dvd / cd rom although one can buy a usb plug and play one pretty cheap if one is needed.

Then i guess it comes down to screen size.

I bought a cheap gaming destop pc when lockdown started back in march from argos on the argos card at 0% for 7 months and has been awesome and so glad i opted for the 8gb of ram as programs seem to be using more and more ram and after a while older pc’s just become so slow because of that..

I did a college course years ago on many aspects of computers and building them for ones needs was one of the courses. The other main thing is the processor, i find the cheapest/best option is not to get the newest one out but the one it is replacing. Be careful of older ones that seem really cheap as usually they got much older processors. may seem a good deal but will be obsolute sooner.. £400 should get you what you need for sure and do a good job for quite a few years.

joss

As much as I am loathed to say this Currys offer a good range of affordable laptops in your price range Tharg.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-eq1510sa-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10207935-pdt.html

Bought this for the missus last year. Very pleased with it

Joss

wmcforum
                                                    Which Mobility Car

@Joss

Are you PC only or do you have Mac knowledge? My late 2012 Mac is slowing to a halt. The new version is not that much higher spec so i’m reluctant (and unable £) to replace. It’s a sealed unit so I can’t upgrade the 8GB ram with a click in.  Could it be mail? I’ve got a lot of email addresses attached.

wmcforum
                                                      Which Mobility Car

@joss

Ignore above, I asked the same question earlier in the year. I will follow the excellent advice you gave me then. I will be back with PC related questions as my daughter has a Laptop with issues.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 239 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.