The PC and all tech related stuff.

• Creator
    Topic
    joss

The PC and all tech related stuff.

Discuss:Help:Advice:Tech related: and More.

Joss
      Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 239 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brydo
      Participant

I will read this thread with interest joss but no input accept questions.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
        Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Participant

Geeks assemble!!!! 😛

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

joss

Feel free Brydo that’s the idea behind this thread. Plenty scope for our resident tech eds to get stuck into.

I just enjoy helping others with tech.

Joss

Brydo
            Participant

Right guys first question, i inadvertantly sent this site to spam, i am using G mail, and now i can’t unspam it. On Yahoo it is simple you just unspam it but on Gmail there is no unspam function.

Right guys question two, how do i stop microsoft edge from popping up on my computer, it comes up in the background automatically even though i never use it.

joss

Hello Brydo

First off Gmail is a great email client. My personal opinion. If you have sent something to spam that you really did not want to do, then it really is easy to un-spam it.

Look to the left hand pane and select the SPAM folder seen here in this screen shot. Left click on the SPAM folder, this where it sends messages marked as spam to. Look for the email you marked as SPAM and right click on the email to open options. One will be to un mark as spam or something like that. once unmarked it should reappear in your inbox. Please note spam will be auto deleted after 7 days.

Regarding MS Edge. There are a few ways to stop this.

The easiest way is to simply

just change your default browser, it may remedy Edge popping up on you.

Let’s try this:

Click start – settings – apps – default apps.

Change the default browser from Edge to something else (IE, Chrome, etc) once changed, test to see if Edge still opens up. Let me know how you get on with that.  You can delete the edge icon from your desktop if you wish.

Joss

Participant

Edge will still pop up occasionally, even after you change the default. Things like searching from the search bar beside the start button will still launch Edge no matter your settings. The easy way to avoid this is to open chrome (or whatever you use) then do your searches there. With lots of tweaks and registry hacking it IS possible to get the search bar to open the browser of your choice but it’s very time consuming, and will probably only work until the next round of windows updates when MS will “accidentally” put it all back.

Honestly, it isn’t really worth the hassle – it’s a LOT easier just to remember to open your browser of choice and search from there.

This is NOT to say joss’s comment was wrong, setting the default to your preferred browser will work to a degree – it means links in emails etc will open in the browser you choose – just be aware searching from the taskbar in the bottom left of your screen will still bring up Edge

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

Brydo
                  Participant

Thanks guys, Joss i have unspamed all of my whichmobility emails lets see if it works.

The edge thing is an ongoing, but not major problem, i have my default browser set to yahoo but edge keeps coming up. I visited old trusty Youtube a while back and went into settings etc etc and what he said worked until an update appeared and it reset itself “accidentally”. Not a big problem but a pain.

Where do i send the cheque guys lol.

Participant

Yahoo doesn’t have (that I know of) a browser – if I had to hazard a guess, I’d say you have Yahoo set as your default SEARCH provider.  It get a bit complex, especially for non-techies but Edge, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox (and more) are browsers – a browser is the software which you use to show web pages.

Bing, Google, Yahoo etc are search providers and they are the ones you give you results when you search for something.

When you get a new PC (or build one) it’ll almost always come with Edge as the default brower, and Bing as the default search engine, neither of which I personally rate highly – personally, I go with Chrome as my brower and google as my search provider but that does NOT mean they’re the best, they’re just my preference.

Brydo
                      Participant

Firefox it is Colin.

vinalspin
                        Participant

For Windows 10 you need to open settings and go to Apps – Default Apps then scroll down to “choose default applications by file type” then once this list has populated(can take a little while) just scroll down (there will be a lot on this list so don’t be put off) until you spot something using the Edge browser and double left click the Edge icon and it will offer alternative choices, once all examples have been changed you shouldn’t get it popping up again even after a windows update as these protocols don’t get changed.

Same applies for windows 7 except you get there by opening Control panel with large icons selected and then click on Default programs – “Associate a file type or protocol with a program” and do the scroll thing again.

hope this helps, any issues just ask.

Brydo
                          Participant

Will have a go at that vinalspin.

Brydo
                            Participant

Had a go but nothing with the “Edge” icon was visible.

vinalspin
                              Participant

Need to pin down what exactly is triggering the browser to run.

Brydo
                                Participant

I have managed to get rid in the past but every update brings it back.

joss

It’s those sneaky windows updates re enabling it Brydo. I have to say I never have any problems with Edge popping up. Simply make what ever browser you prefare the default. Works for as I have already said.

Joss

JS
                                    Participant

Is this thread also available in English lol.

lol

my mate told me to install a daft little game onto my iPhone there ( also available for Android )

Crowd City it’s called! What a daft little simple addictive game it has turned out to be lol

i played the free version but was spilt by adverts, I think the full game was 3 quid ( less than the price of a pint ) I don’t drink anyways!

so give it a bash an see if you can beat my top score 1192 , it is possible but it’ll drive you nuts before you get there lol

for old farts… you don’t need to know anything about games to have a go at this 🤣

good luck!

vinalspin
                                        Participant

There is a way to totally disable microsoft edge but it’s quite complex.

I’ll see if I can write some lines of code that you can just copy and paste and then execute them yourself, might be the easiest way, give me a day or so as I’ve not much free time atm.

wmcforum
                                          Which Mobility Car

I made the shift to a Mac as Microsoft had weakened me to a point of desperation. My question is my late 2012 Mac is really starting to slow, is there no option but to replace?

(I am aware the thread clearly states PC but I remain hopeful of a bilingual community)

joss

Morning wmc

I found this web site https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8195687  that discusses your issues. Do have a read and see what you think. Download the EtreCheck and run it. them make your own thread and post the results for them to look at and advise.  Hope this helps.

P.S Mac is a PC in my book. just a different OS Let us know how you get on

Joss

vinalspin
                                              Participant

Because crApple tie you in to being able to only get component upgrades through them(authorised dealers included) you are at their mercy and I have never heard of anyone that managed to get this done as every time someone tries they always say it’s not possible and make you buy new!

It should be illegal but they continue to get away with it, if you go down the PC route at least you can upgrade individual components as needed, the only downside is using windows but I have managed to get win 10 stripped down to a useable version.

wmcforum
                                                Which Mobility Car

@vinalspin

The changeover to Apple has been great, updates every 2 years, no virus, malware etc to worry about, very user friendly and beautiful to use and look at.

The downside is they are expensive to buy and replace. I don’t want to add fuel to your Apple hatred, but basically I need more ram and the unit is sealed, i am pretty handy with a screwdriver but I will limp on as the screen removal and ram upgrade scares me:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2638+RAM+Replacement/28795

joss

56 steps ROFL

Joss

vinalspin
                                                    Participant

More ram wouldn’t make much difference tbh, a battering ram on the other hand…..

It needs a decent ssd and a change to the way the logic board operates plus a ban on apple being allowed to throttle older machines with every update so they get systematically slower and slower until you have no option but to buy new, it’s criminal it really is.

Brydo
                                                      Participant

Right guys its me again.

Trying to load an app onto the wife’s iphone7, it asks for her apple I’d password, she can’t remember, it then asks for a trusted phone number, which is my sons as he sorted the phone out when she got it but my son has just changed his number.

Other options?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 239 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.