The mystery that is insurance

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Trev 5 days, 21 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #68621 Reply

Timerfirst

I’m a former taxi driver, consequently all my working life involved driving the fantastic marque. An old 406 of mine surpassed 450,000 miles before being retired, and the doc retired me not long after. I wanted my first motability car to be a Peugeot 308 1.6 diesel automatic. If the advance payment didn’t stagger me,then being unable to insure my 19 year old son most certainly did. A bhp output on other cars of 120bhp was acceptable, but not the Peugeot. Even a 208 diesel with 100bhp is unsuitable for insuring an under 25, but a 208 petrol with 110bhp is fine. Confusion, complete and utter confusion. Anyone shine a light? I know insurance for under 25s is a confusing mix of group 16 and 120bhp,but what have I missed?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #68717 Reply

Trev

I believe the diesels regardless of bhp have higher insurance groupings, as they are more expensive to repair in the event of an accident than petrols.

This would explain why a 208 petrol is fine for an under 25 as it’s insurance group 15, whilst the 208 diesel on the scheme is insurance group 18 thus unsuitable for an under 25.

Hope this helps.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Reply To: The mystery that is insurance

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: