The most efficient engines on the scheme.

• Creator
    Topic
    Des

Folks what are the most efficient engines on the scheme, I’ve read that fords 1.0ltr turbo engine is very good. Tbh I know little about this stuff and I’m still considering whether I will pay the big AP for a PHEV or give ICE another go for the next three years.

would it be possible to put them in categories like mostly motorways/A roads, mostly city then mixed.

also which engine for which type of car as I don’t think the 1.0ltr Ford unit would be good in their kuga as it would in the fiesta, but would it be any good in a focus?
      This is not about power, more efficiency and better mpg but as above the engine needs to give the car enough vroom for say overtaking, pulling out on roundabouts etc.

I know some of you guys like this stuff so would appreciate any input.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      joss

@Des

You could use the search option here to look for such information, as well as dealer info on their cars and specs.

Of course you can use https://www.motability.co.uk/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletterApr16&utm_content=Home  and enter in details of cars you may be considering

Joss
        Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

des

Joss I would rather hear it from folk on here who seem pretty clued up on motors and engineering and don’t speak gobbled de gook and I can always ask a few questions and get a reply back which I can’t do online. I only use the mobility search as a rough guide as I’ve seen a good few motors being offered by local dealers but yet they ain’t on the M site. There’s a lot to learn like what does the TFSi stand for on audi as they like to show it off, is a 1.0ltr turbocharged unit as good as a say 1.5 unit, it maybe but only in cars of a certain size. Suppose its similar to you folk discussing towing capabilities, it’s interesting and maybe useful.

DBtruth
          Participant

I think one of toyota’s self charging hybrids or one of the smaller diesel engines from the vw group (Audi, vw, seat, Skoda) could be worth a look.
            I used to have a vw group 1.6 diesel and I thought that was good on fuel

joss

@Des

That’s fine Des, but you are asking a broad question. So try and be more specific with your questions. That way your more likely to get a better response.. TFSi Turbo Fuel Stratified Injection.

Joss
              Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Oscarmax
              Participant

Folks what are the most efficient engines on the scheme, I’ve read that fords 1.0ltr turbo engine is very good. Tbh I know little about this stuff and I’m still considering whether I will pay the big AP for a PHEV or give ICE another go for the next three years. would it be possible to put them in categories like mostly motorways/A roads, mostly city then mixed. also which engine for which type of car as I don’t think the 1.0ltr Ford unit would be good in their kuga as it would in the fiesta, but would it be any good in a focus? This is not about power, more efficiency and better mpg but as above the engine needs to give the car enough vroom for say overtaking, pulling out on roundabouts etc. I know some of you guys like this stuff so would appreciate any input.

I am assuming you are not made of money and have a limited budget like the majority of us, if you are looking for economy and a highly efficient powertrain look no further than the Toyota hybrids, I also assuming you are quite disabled and require a wheel chair or mobility scooter.

Toyota Corolla Hybrid Icon £495 and Icon tech £895, one of our neighbour’s has one he brought his private and is claiming 70 mpg, looks lovely in metallic silver.

Wigwam
                Participant

If efficiency for an internal combustion engine equates to the most energy extracted from the fuel with a minimum going to waste as heat, etc, for a petrol engine the BMW B48 engine is up there.  Getting that efficiency costs money though, spent on things like variable valve lift and twin spool turbocharging.  I’m not sure if any other mainstream manufacturers go to the trouble.

From the user point of view, looking at the car as a whole it’s a question of matching the power output with the vehicles weight and drag characterists and how it’s going to be used.  A hybrid will work well for local low speed journeys but not so much bashing up and down the motorway.  And then the most efficient car for your particular use may not suit you from other aspects, like comfort, handling, noise. There is no simple answer…

psuader

Des, did you used to write those clues on Ted Rogers’ 3-2-1 by any chance?

Tharg
                    Participant

Hi, Des

My choice of engine is dictated by power-to-weight ration. Difficult figure to pin down sometimes but basically, I was told long ago by a very experienced engineer to always get the “biggest” engine you can. The more effective power available, the most smoothly the machine will operate at everyday levels. Rather simplistic, I know. But it seems to work. Had two Superbs on the scheme one with big diesel, one with big petrol (230ish bhp). Both vehicles drove effortlessly, smoothly and with ability to be prompt when needed.

Applying my deciding factor of power-to-weight, I have chosen Wigwam’s top rated engine, BMW B48 above, in my current scheme car, Mini Cooper S Hatch. Lots of other factors in play, of course, auto box, ease of entry, seats that do not destroy back etc. But for engine, get the most powerful you can.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.