The kona electric delivery time thread and general Kona EV discussion

• This topic has 2,612 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by kezo.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Capuchin

I know a few of us are eagerly awaiting delivery of these so thought I’d make a thread so we can all keep track of updates etc

Ordered ultimate Misty jungle (with light leather) on 9th November. Delivery slated for end of March. Dealer has had no update yet.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,351 through 1,375 (of 2,612 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Neil

Hi all, long time since I posted as well. Like Brent my wife ordered Feb this year with August delivery. Moved to September but having called Cars2 Barnsley today have been advised Feb 2023! We currently have Volvo XC40 but due to costing us a fortune in petrol requested early change. Not sure how we will manage until then.

Take care all.

Neil.

Participant

Do we have any understanding as to why delivery times have been pushed out – early in the year it was chips – I thought Korea had sorted that – or are they being selective as to where they are used – I understand there is a new model being launched – any thoughts 💭?

Muttzmuttz
          Participant

Do we have any understanding as to why delivery times have been pushed out – early in the year it was chips – I thought Korea had sorted that – or are they being selective as to where they are used – I understand there is a new model being launched – any thoughts 💭?

I’m guessing because they’ve stopped the ioniq production and swapped them all to Konas. They’ve given them priority and not charged any difference in AP. So you could’ve ordered an ioniq after a kona customer but you’ll prob get it first… and cheaper

Carmad
            Participant

All this with dates being moved around is really concerning.  When I ordered the other day I was told Feb/March ’23. I’m not particularly happy about this but I understand the global supply issues just now.  What I cannot tolerate ( yes it is a strong word ), is being given false information in order to obtain an order.  As you do I’m on a variety of sites with everyone obsessing about when their Kona is going to arrive; today I’m reading some being told to expect 9-12 month wait not 6-7 as told by salesperson.

All I expect in return for my business is honesty, surely I’m not being unreasonable?

Something else that got me thinking, ( I know I should give my brain a rest! ).  There’s a new model due next year.  When the Ioniq was updated in 2019 they honoured all existing orders at the same AP. What are the chances of that happening again?  Or do we wait to be told sorry we can’t fulfil your order?

Decisions decisions…

fwippers
              Participant

Info from another forum, possible good news for some.

#228 · Aug 6, 2022

‘Auto Achieve’ is off-loading at Tilbury today, so some people are going to get some good news soon I hope…

Ian Websell

Hello

I’m a little confused, I appreciate that the last few post are about your deliveries, but can I go back a few post further and ask @tillyman or anyone else please.
                  I got auto regen sorted, but since we have used it my kWh has dropped to 5.2, which is still good and no complaints, used it for a 5 days, turned it off, via settings, not the paddles and my kWh has gone back up to 5.8 as it’s been for the past 12 weeks or so. Anyone else has the same results?
                  Also, may I ask, those who have had your new Kona EV, what tyre pressures are you all running at. Just looked today and they are all at 40psi. But not done anything since delivery, surly the tyres would have been set at the correct pressures. Which 36 according to the drivers door strip.
                  Would some enlighten me please 🙏

Participant

Hi Ian – I know you have just posted something but I can’t see it – if you register – which if you scroll down is just above FORUM – it means it will come up almost immediately – I know you said you weren’t sure how to do it – hope you are well and still enjoying your car – I know I am 👍

Participant

Hi Ian – I can see your post now – tyre pressures – don’t know – I lazily assumed they woul be correct – tho I seem to remember on the ultimate they are linked to warn you if low!

As for the smart recuperation – that is all I have used – I have not used the paddles independently.
                      I know my wife would never bother with them.  Very much a car is for getting me from A to B safely and reliably.  Hence my choice – that way I know it will be more efficient when she is driving the car – I will try just using the paddles to see the results.
                      I assume if I start using the paddles it will override the smart recuperation until the next time the car is switched on – again I will need to check.

I have set my profile for a user of the car – I have not done this for my wife as she is quite happy with the default – if using the paddles does override smart recuperation then there will be no need for two profiles.

mitch
                      Participant

ian, dont forget the weather can affect the tyre pressure, not a scientist so i cant recall if hot weather increases the pressure or not so if your measuring in this heat it may not be a true reading if you see what i mean.

Participant

the paddles are excellent and if you use them they will overide the smart function, but they wont work while using cruise.

tyre pressure can rise with the warm weather. park in shade and test them in evening if you can.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                          Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Participant

Hi Struth – the smart recuperation dosnt function under – I think 10 mph – can I use paddles to bring to complete stop – will smart recuperation automatically kick in again when over the minimum speed.

I was going to test it today but very hot here – so doing a spot of gardening in the shade – I have a wheeled seat and extended loppers that hang onto the cut piece – hurray for disability aids – my collection of aids is growing as the years tick by 😂😂😂.
                            And now I have a car that keeps me in line and knows when to stop – my wife is trying to find out how it does it 😂😂😂

Participant

Yup holding left paddle will stop car..eventually. it’s not as quick as brekes so no use if you need to stop fast. I can on some occasions drive a whole journey without using breake pedal. You just have to think a bit further ahead.

I find town and slower roads having paddles on 2 or3 is best, but on fast RDS leave paddles off and use the smart function.

The car will break when following a car etc when on cruise.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                              Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Garry p

Hi if anyone has a date of 28/08/22 for there kona electric to be delivered the boats name it’s on is tijuka got that this morning from a very nice guy in supply

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks Struth – I tend to have smart recuperation on all the time and switch to smart cruise on fast A roads or motorway – it is much better than the Prius  – the area it scans seems to be slightly wider and it didn’t slam on the breaks if someone pulls in front close to you – I also like that you can increment the speed by 1 mph if you wish – my Prius was increments off 5 mph.
                                  I shall add paddles for final breaking where appropriate – tho I did assume that normal breaking would add recuperation.  From what Ian has told us I wonder if the % is somehow different – not sure why it should be.</p>
                                  Still a few secrets to discover I think 🤔 👍

kezo
                                  Participant
                                    fwippers
                                    Participant

Almost a fortnight I to the electric driving experience and still good. Have clocked up over 300 miles, battery is on 81%, remaining range is 270 miles. If I wasn’t going to London this weekend I would let the batteries deplete but time to charge tonight at 9.30pm, hopefully to 100%, then will leave on charge Saturday night and precondition to 17c cabin for Sunday morning. Disappointingly no word back from Hyundai about the charging issue yet.

fwippers
                                      Participant

Hi if anyone has a date of 28/08/22 for there kona electric to be delivered the boats name it’s on is tijuka got that this morning from a very nice guy in supply

Good news. If it docks on the 28th, you could have the car 3 weeks after that, perhaps 4. Interesting boat name.

Sigma

Every week, my wife and I travel down Bristol for treatment which is a 400 mile round trip from our home. Due to the delayed arrival of our Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kw, we have been using our daughters Mini Cooper Diesel for the journey and have been eagerly waiting for our Kona Electric to reduce our expenses.

This week, our Daughter was away on business and in desperation we approached our local Hyundai dealer who offered is their Kona Premium Electric for 2 days so we could meet our medical commitments. Cognisant of the rise in electric, we were shocked at the cost of recharging on the road when compared to our Mini Diesel. For example;

Diesel: (Please Note typed on a US IPAD and therefore the $ is for the UK Pound)

• If 1 UK Gallon is equal to 4.54 litres and diesel currently costs $1.90 a litre, then a UK Gallon costs $8.63. (4.54*1.90 = $8.63)
                                          • Mini Diesel delivers 70mpg over a 400 mile mainly motorway journey and therefore will use 5.72 UK gallons on a return journey. (400/70 = 5.72)
                                          • Overall cost is 5.72 Gallons * $8.63 = $49.36.

Electric:

• Using a cost of 50p per Kw and assuming that Kona delivers 4mpKw on the motorway.
                                          • 400 miles for a return journey will use 100Kw (400/4 = 100)
                                          • If each Kw costs 50p then a return journey will cost $50 (100*.50 = 50

I am unsighted on whether there are any membership / affinity / loyalty schemes that we can join, pay a monthly subscription and be able to charge at a reduced rate than the 50p per Kw which we found on our travels.

As always – grateful for your sage thoughts.

Participant

Hi sigma – I suppose the first question is are you able to charge at home – I know some on the forum don’t have that facility.
                                            The journey I will be doing is to Cornwall 250 miles and will stay for at least 3 or 4 days before return.
                                            I will only do this 3 or 4 times a year – as yet I haven’t done this but I have downloaded apps to establish charging points around Exeter – the cost seems to differ greatly, mainly related to speed – many of which the Kona can’t run at.
                                            I know that you can change to a electricity providers that charge it to your monthly bill at a reduced rate.
                                            If you are going to do this journey on a regular basis it would be worth checking out – I know fwippers is with octopus and I m sure will be able to give you a better insight

Sigma
                                            Participant

Hi Tillman – we can charge at home but our fixed rate tariff expired at the end of last month and we are now paying the standard Scottish Power rate which is 52p per unit.

Is a unit a Kw?

Garry p

Yeah fwippers I thought that too

Participant

Hi sigma  – I was on a fixed rate  – was offered a fixed rate but as it was 3 times more I decided to roll the dice on the growns that gas would prob be the most expensive – we have gas central heating  – so extra layers and thermals – like I used to as a kid with frost on the inside of my bedroom window. OVO who I am with do an add on tariff for EV’s but on doing the math I don’t do enough miles – prob only charge every couple of weeks – I don’t know the territory of the likes of OVO or octopus but I suspect there will be something similar for you.
                                                  Hope you find something that works for you. 👍

fwippers
                                                  Participant

Fully charged car last night, range is showing as 349, took advantage this morning and air conditioned car before use, nice and cool.  Talking of tariffs, Octopus standard tariff is about 28.5p per kwh, we are fixed at 39p but 7.5p for 4 hours daily, commencing 21.30.

Digressing slightly, pressure is building on Local Councils and Government to switch off their central heating systems this winter, or turn them right down. I would think a maximum of 18c in all government buildings.

fwippers
                                                    Participant

Every week, my wife and I travel down Bristol for treatment which is a 400 mile round trip from our home. Due to the delayed arrival of our Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kw, we have been using our daughters Mini Cooper Diesel for the journey and have been eagerly waiting for our Kona Electric to reduce our expenses. This week, our Daughter was away on business and in desperation we approached our local Hyundai dealer who offered is their Kona Premium Electric for 2 days so we could meet our medical commitments. Cognisant of the rise in electric, we were shocked at the cost of recharging on the road when compared to our Mini Diesel. For example; Diesel: (Please Note typed on a US IPAD and therefore the $ is for the UK Pound)

• If 1 UK Gallon is equal to 4.54 litres and diesel currently costs $1.90 a litre, then a UK Gallon costs $8.63. (4.54*1.90 = $8.63)
                                                      • Mini Diesel delivers 70mpg over a 400 mile mainly motorway journey and therefore will use 5.72 UK gallons on a return journey. (400/70 = 5.72)
                                                      • Overall cost is 5.72 Gallons * $8.63 = $49.36.

Electric:

• Using a cost of 50p per Kw and assuming that Kona delivers 4mpKw on the motorway.
                                                      • 400 miles for a return journey will use 100Kw (400/4 = 100)
                                                      • If each Kw costs 50p then a return journey will cost $50 (100*.50 = 50

I am unsighted on whether there are any membership / affinity / loyalty schemes that we can join, pay a monthly subscription and be able to charge at a reduced rate than the 50p per Kw which we found on our travels. As always – grateful for your sage thoughts.

There are cases where electric will not always pay, a long motorway journey with 50p per kWh charging being one if compared with a diesel, but for  the vast majority electric works out a lot cheaper, at present!

fwippers
                                                      Participant

Just reading that the Kona Electric has a wait time of appx 10 months, whilst the ID.3 and ID.4 are 14-16 months. Apparently an electric car uses appx 3000 microchips compared to around 300 in a fossil fueled vehicle. A journalist who covers all aspects of motoring has suggested an 18 month cycle,  start looking 18 months before you are looking to buy/lease. Impractical for Motability but shows how out of touch they are with the now ridiculous 3 month rule! Along with the others on this thread, so happy we have, or are just about to have, our cars.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,351 through 1,375 (of 2,612 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.