the joys of living in a “council house”

• Creator
    Topic
  • #144135 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

last oct i moved into what used to be a council bungalow now by an arms length housing association.

basically the back garden if you can call it that consists of 8m x 12m of uneven grass and grass is being generous with a path down the centre from the back door to the back hedge. the left hand side is relatively flat. but the right hand side slopes away from the bungalow and from the path to next doors fence. the bottom right hand corner is approx 18 inches lower than the path.

being a good boy i wrote and asked for permission to lift the grass on the right hand side level the top half of the right hand side and step the bottom half put down weedproof membrane and gravel. build some raised beds.

boy what a palaver i unleashed, got a letter yesterday with a list of conditions and requirements the killer being that all work must be carried out by a qualified contractor etc etc.

you would have thought that they would be grateful someone wants to improve it.

Viewing 6 replies - 101 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #185691 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ok the aerator died, the motor runs but the blades dont turn so i reckon the drive has become detached somehow. as i am not mechanically minded i wasnt about to go looking at its innards, so i rang screwfix on the off chance and blow me down with a feather they said no problem bring it in and swap it.

i felt sure they would make a fuss and blame me for overworking it etc. but no drama or anything, half an hour later i am putting together a new one.

well done screwfix.

#185706 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

ok the aerator died, the motor runs but the blades dont turn so i reckon the drive has become detached somehow. as i am not mechanically minded i wasnt about to go looking at its innards, so i rang screwfix on the off chance and blow me down with a feather they said no problem bring it in and swap it. i felt sure they would make a fuss and blame me for overworking it etc. but no drama or anything, half an hour later i am putting together a new one. well done screwfix.

Screwfix are very good with their no quibble attitude if something goes faulty. I’m a member of their electricfix side and never had any issues in returning/exchanging goods, even for a higher model right up to the day the guarantee runs out.

#188775 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

ok almost dug over the whole left side.

just the corner to go.

#188776 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

the beds arent bad, some of the early flowerers are going over but the roses are coming through.

#188780 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Looking good @mitch

#188783 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

@kezo, the first aerator must have been faulty from the get go because this replacement one is superb, those big chunks of soil in that first picture it marmalises no problem at all and it just keeps going its almost like its got double the power. the difference is amazing.

Viewing 6 replies - 101 through 106 (of 106 total)
Reply To: Reply #144419 in the joys of living in a “council house”
Your information: