the joys of living in a “council house”

• Creator
    Topic
  • #144135 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

last oct i moved into what used to be a council bungalow now by an arms length housing association.

basically the back garden if you can call it that consists of 8m x 12m of uneven grass and grass is being generous with a path down the centre from the back door to the back hedge. the left hand side is relatively flat. but the right hand side slopes away from the bungalow and from the path to next doors fence. the bottom right hand corner is approx 18 inches lower than the path.

being a good boy i wrote and asked for permission to lift the grass on the right hand side level the top half of the right hand side and step the bottom half put down weedproof membrane and gravel. build some raised beds.

boy what a palaver i unleashed, got a letter yesterday with a list of conditions and requirements the killer being that all work must be carried out by a qualified contractor etc etc.

you would have thought that they would be grateful someone wants to improve it.

Viewing 10 replies - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #146822 Reply
    ajn

Pics @Karenj we love pics if possible, 😆, well done though sounds great👍

🌻

#146836 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

had a conversation with our local dobbies yesterday and it turns out they will deliver bulk orders and are happy to bring it up to the house. many bulk deliveries will only deliver roadside which is a pain as its 20 odd meters from the road to the gate to the back garden.

so bags of compost,manure,barkchippings and  decorative 20mm stone chips will be delivered on the 10th. to get it all myself in the car apart from the effort involved would take i reckon 10 trips or more so to get it all in one hit for £30 delivery is reasonable and theyve said i can add to the order if i want anytime up to the 9th.

just need the weather and the “grass” to play ball.

#148480 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

just a quick update to say not a lot has happened due to a mixture of crap weather and pain.

dobbies delivered 3 pallets of supplies, compost,manure, gravel and chip bark. they managed to get it almost to the back gate which was a bonus. all except 10 bales of chip bark is now on the central path awaiting the rest of the “grass” to be removed to the compost heap.

i start on the oromorph tommorrow so hopefully with better weather i may get stuff done.

#155196 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

here we are again lol its been some time but curtesy of some much improved weather and an upgrade in painkillers i have managed to plough on.

almost literally as the only way to remove the grass was to dig out huge clumps, so now i have the countys largest compost heap layer upon layer with plenty of garrotta between layers and a regular watering i reckon 8-10 weeks to break it down. so the grass is gone and the bottom 3m of the garden now has weedproof membrane down and bark chippings are in the process of being spread out. a new square raised bed has taken up the bottom corner and should be full of compost and manure later today.

then its going to be the slow job of getting the top half smoothed over to take the grid for the gravel. and build the remaining 3 raised beds.

anyway still a long way to go but heres some pics.

before

#155229 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

That looks like a tremendous amount of hard work mitch. I’m envious of your determination.

#155236 Reply
    joss

Hell yes, you have been a very busy bee mitch. Look forward to seeing the end product no matter how long it takes.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155237 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

its taken a month of sitting down digging using that camping chair  and i doubt as much would have been done without the new meds so i am quite pleased with the progress. need to order more compost as its amazing how much it takes to fill one bed.

#155261 Reply
    ajn

That’s digging must’ve been a nightmare, what you replacing the grass with..

#155262 Reply
    ajn

Oh sorry just read, raised beds..

#155264 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

the top part nearest the house i have to smooth it out which will take a while so that it is 2 inches below the paths and then put down weedproof membrane and then these grid squares which all link together and you then put 10mm gravel down so it forms a firm base. you wont be able to see the plastic and it will support a wheelchair/walker etc. plus give a firm base for raised beds etc. eventually i will do the same to the grass to the left of the central path and put up a shed and greenhouse. the side i am currently working on will still slope away from the house a bit but the grids will stop the gravel all ending up down the bottom of the garden.

Viewing 10 replies - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
Reply To: Reply #144165 in the joys of living in a “council house”
Your information: