The Great SUV Hunt

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143205 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Today is the first day that we can order our next Motability car to replace our VW Tiguan 2.0TDi 190PS 4Motion DSG SEL. As the dealerships remain closed, we are holding off until Q2 as there’s no way I would order a car without having had a decent test drive. This is made easier by the fact that there’s nothing available currently that we have our heart set on. My wife is a full time wheelchair user and prefers SUV’s as she finds it easier to get in and out of them. I have occasional back and sciatica issues so the higher driving position is handy for me too. The boot needs to be big enough to accommodate the wheelchair but ideally some luggage as well. We have always had 4WD SUV’s but now that we are both retired (so can stay at home if it’s dodgy weather) that’s no longer essential, but is still preferred. My wife is keen that we move away from diesel. An EV is impractical for us as although it would be fine for 95% of our journeys and we have a large garage to charge a car in, we couldn’t be doing with range anxiety on longer journeys and holidays. On that basis, a PHEV could be a good option, or a petrol car.

As I like a checklist (😂) I have made a list of all the things that we consider to be essential (Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Heated Front Seats, LED Headlights, Electric Tailgate, rain sensing wipers & auto headlights, climate control) and the things that we would ideally like (Leather, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Premium Sound System, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive Headlights, Auto High Beam, Keyless Entry, Digital Dash). I have shortlisted cars that we like the look of against this list. All the cars have pros and cons. The 5 cars on the shortlist (prior to any changes in Q2) are as follows;

VW Tiguan Elegance – Positives are that it has virtually everything as standard and all we would add is the Harman Kardon sound system and (in order to get a flush boot floor) a spare wheel. Negatives are that the only petrol is a 1.5 litre 2WD, leather is a ridiculous £1500 extra which we couldn’t justify and I fancy a change as we have had several Tiguans. If the 2.0TSi 4WD comes on the scheme it will be a very hard car to ignore though.

Ford Kuga ST-Line X Edition PHEV – Positives are that it’s well equipped and we would add the Technology Pack (adaptive headlights & Head Up Display) plus the Driver Assistance Pack, it would be cheap to run and we could do most of our journeys on electric power, but have no range anxiety issues. Negatives are that it’s 2WD, only half leather, the interior looks a bit low rent compared to the other cars on the shortlist and I’m a bit wary of CVT transmissions. However, in a group test against the Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge and Pug 3008 PHEV by Car Magazine, they rated the Kuga as the best of the three.

Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro. Positives are similar to the Kuga, but it’s a premium car and the interior looks far better. Cons are that Adaptive Cruise is massively expensive (part of a pack), you can’t get adaptive headlights even as an option, fuel economy is far worse than the Kuga PHEV and several members of this forum have reported issues with the seats on the model that we would look at.

Audi Q3 S-Line. Positives are that it’s a premium brand and the Audi Multimedia system is excellent. Negatives are that it’s a 1.5 engine, a lot of the things that we want are either very expensive options or, in the case of adaptive headlights and keyless entry, not even available, which seems very odd. It also looks a bit dinky compared to some of the others.

BMW X1 20i 4WD X-Line. Positives are that I really like BMW’s from a driving, refinement and performance v economy perspective. It’s also 4WD, powerful and has first class multimedia. Negatives are that it’s a bargain basement BMW compared to the models further up the range (which shows in interior quality), it’s effectively a run-out model as an all new version is due next year, a lot of the kit that we want is only in expensive option packs, not all of which I could justify.

Keen to hear views from those who have these cars, especially on the aspects that I consider to be negatives (as you might be able to reassure me) and I shall update as things progress, in particular with the inevitable changes in Q2 and as a result of checking the cars out in the flesh.

Viewing 24 replies - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #143882 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

You are correct, Adaptive headlights mean you do not require high beam assist – so regardless of what the price list/brochure/web page says it will all be automatic the same as it is on the VW (only quicker – as I too discovered on the S-Max, VW’s system seems to be a tad slow).

I must admit, I didn’t think I’d be bothered about it when it came as part of the X pack  for the S-Max, but its been so handy, especially as I drive in darkness so much of the time (daily 2 hour commute in darkness both ways from Oct-March).

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#143883 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Both the BMW dealer and Motability have sent me confirmation this morning that the order has been approved and placed, so no worries if it disappears from the scheme in Q2. Phew! Also, the dealer has offered to cancel and re-order on Thursday if the AP reduces, so a win-win. The only problem now is the long wait – possibly 6 months. Still, I’d rather they said that then the usual ‘over promise and under deliver’ approach that most dealers use.

#143884 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Who’s your dealer, Glos Guy?

#143885 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Who’s your dealer, Glos Guy?

I’d rather not say at this stage Wigwam, as what they did for me yesterday was a favour and I think falls outside of current restrictions, so I would hate to get them into trouble. As a point of interest, they don’t have any offers on Motability cars (and never do), but as I have bought cars from this particular sales person privately and because, thanks to this forum, I had approached another BMW dealer and got the offer of £500 off AP plus discount on options confirmed, they agreed to match it for me. If I recall correctly, I think you live on the South Coast? If so, I believe that Marshall BMW will match that offer.

P.S. does your X1 have adaptive headlights? Abercols reply is very helpful, and fits with my understanding, but it would be nice to have confirmation from someone with an X1.

#143886 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Understood. Yes, Marshalls here in Bournemouth often have £500 off BMWs.  No, we don’t have adaptive headlights or automatic dipping on our X1. So 20th century…

#143926 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

Took a leaf from your book Gloss Guy and have today ordered a Peugeot 5008. Also managed to get to go and look at one on Monday and even got a test drive, which was a bit naughty but everything was done outside with lots of distance and masks on. My gut feeling is there will be no reduction in price in Q2 and dealer has stock which means I should be changing on my actual lease end date.

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#143928 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Took a leaf from your book Gloss Guy and have today ordered a Peugeot 5008. Also managed to get to go and look at one on Monday and even got a test drive, which was a bit naughty but everything was done outside with lots of distance and masks on. My gut feeling is there will be no reduction in price in Q2 and dealer has stock which means I should be changing on my actual lease end date.

Great result NewYork1. Tons of space in those 5008’s. You could probably fit the X1 in the boot of it!

#143956 Reply
    kbfern

Well I ordered our replacement car for our 3 yr old 2.0 Diesel DSG Tiguan SEL and it is……….. a new 1.5L TSI DSG Elegance in Moonstone grey with storm grey cloth interior😍

My dealer tells me delivery expected end June/early July.

In the build up to ordering a few months ago I was hoping some new model would come out to tempt me but alas nothing new has come on to the scheme that is suitable as we can’t go any smaller in car size. Also some of the AP’s have gone through the roof.

Fortunately the AP on the new Tiggy is the same as the old Tiggy @ £1945. I don’t particularly need any extras as the Tiggy virtually has them all anyway😁. We have been very happy with our old Tiggy so more than happy to go with one again.

If we are still on the scheme next time round in 3 years maybe there will be a suitable electric vehicle but as that will be at least a year away felt it was not worth hanging on to the current car with a swop in a year or two.

Glad you got sorted Glos hope you get yours sooner rather than later👍

#143966 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Well done kbfern. The Tiguan is a very difficult car to beat as far as Motability goes. The equipment count is superb in the Elegance and even better than the SUV’s from the budget brands in the VW stable, which is very odd. Great choice with the Storm Grey interior. We have that (albeit in leather trim) in our current Tiguan and it makes the car even bigger than it is. Also makes it look more classy and less oppressive than the black IMO. After four Tiguans I needed a change and I really like BMW’s. I just hope that the X1 won’t be an anti-climax after years of the bigger BMW models.

Although the X1 is only 2.5 inches shorter and 1” narrower than the Tiguan, it does feel smaller than that, although the one we looked at was a black interior, which always looks smaller. The boot was the worry but thankfully although the cubic capacity on paper is less than the Tiguan, the dimensions are the same, so my wife’s wheelchair went in no problem. The biggest dimensional difference is height, as the Tiguan is 3” taller, but oddly it didn’t feel any different. We put that down to the dashboard in the Tiguan being higher than in the X1 and the X1 seems to have a deeper windscreen. We have gone for the oyster interior for the same reasons that we went for Storm Grey in the Tiguan.

I have a feeling that the 2.0TSi 4Motion Tiguan may come on the scheme tomorrow and a bit of me was holding out for that, but the X1 we have gone for is also a high output 2.0 litre 4 wheel drive and as I fancied a change we went ahead and ordered. We weren’t asked for a deposit (even though we added £1,600 of extras) and the dealer has offered to cancel the order if something better comes on tomorrow, or re-order if the AP drops, so I’m sitting calm waiting for the price lists to appear!

Have you received an email or checked your Motability account online to check that your order has been accepted? I was impressed that ours was confirmed as accepted in less than 24 hours, so no worries if the AP goes up tomorrow. Hope that you get your car in the time window that the dealer stated. Our Tiguans have always taken a month or two longer than we were told, but we’ve always added options, which may be part of the reason. However, I suspect that you will still get your Tiguan some months before we get our X1.

#143971 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I have managed to get a definitive answer from BMW to my question about High Beam Assist and yes it is included with the Adaptive Headlights as I (and others) had assumed. For info, the adaptive headlights include the following;

#143972 Reply
    kbfern

Yes GG we had a confirmation of our order application for the Tiguan from Motability along with the link to opening a motability account online also had an email from Des Gosling re the boot hoist we are having fitted for our mobility scooter. Both these acknowledgements came within a couple of hours from placing the order with the VW dealers.

This was quicker than last time we placed an order, seems there are some bonuses to be had with Covid causing more streamlining of companies systems. Even ordering the car over the phone was painless and only involved a couple of 10 min conversations and no visit needed to the dealership.👍

#144074 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

I promised those of you who had kindly helped with my questions an update. Well, in short, we have taken the plunge and ordered the following BMW X1 xDrive20i xLine in Mineral Grey Metallic with Oyster Dakota Leather. Options added – Technology Pack 1 (Adaptive Headlights, High Beam Assist, Reversing Camera, Enhanced Bluetooth & Wireless Charging), Sun Protection Glass and Harman/Kardon Surround Sound System. Got the discounts mentioned previously (including £500 off the AP) and the promise that we can cancel and re-order later this week if the AP drops in Q2. No deposit requested. The wheelchair fitted fine in the boot, even with the rear seats in the most rearward and reclined position, so no need for the sliding seat option (thanks Wigwam for helping on that one). Mrs Glos Guy found getting in and out to be no worse than the Tiguan. The seats are a little smaller than those in the Tiguan but much improved on those in the pre facelift model X1. Shock horror – Mrs Glos Guy also slightly preferred the interior of the X1 over the Tiguan and now likes the exterior look (we have now discovered that the ones she kept saying that she didn’t like were the original X1’s, which I agree were quite ugly). The X1 does feel smaller inside than the Tiguan, but the one we were in today had a black interior. Hopefully the lighter Oyster interior may help make it feel a bit bigger. The X1 does feel a tad dated inside compared to the Tiguan but what a joy to experience iDrive again rather than the dire VW system! Mrs Glos Guy is also happy that we are moving from diesel to petrol and will still have 4WD. I am happy that it’s a car with some punch (as they are rapidly disappearing from the scheme) and I have never driven a bad BMW (and I’ve driven dozens of them). I am anticipating the much mentioned road noise, so the Harman/Kardon Surround Sound System will help to distract me 😂 Doubtless we run the risk of the car taking 6 months to arrive, by which time the all new model may have been announced, but the way the Motability scheme is going I can see the lower spec / smaller engine versions being all that we are allowed by then! It’s always a risk when you order but I’m ready for a change after a run of Tiguans. Quick question for the X1 owners on here. The spec on the order shows front and rear parking sensors, but also Park Assist. What is that? Is it the automated parking aid that steers the car into a space, like we have on the Tiguan? I didn’t think that the X1 had this?

Congrats on ordering your X1 which is the same exterior and interior colur scheme as my X1.

I am sure you or Ms Glos Guy will not be disappointed. Forget the reviews slating the X1 for tyre noise as I have previously mentioned, 99% of tyre noise is generated by poor road surfaces, the other 1% will be attributed to tyre design. The X1 is no worse than any other similar SAV regarding tyre noise.

My experience of my X1 has been nothing but postive, it has been with the exception of a noisy tailgate strut problem, defect free. Regarding the extending seat squab, this is available on the sport seat option and well worth the extra cost.

Throw in 54mpg on a 120 mile motorway trip from a relatively high performance 2.0i 4 wheel drive SAV and what is there not to like?

Like your X1 order I have a lengthy wait for my X5, which is scheduled to arrive in September. I would like to replace my X1 with another one of the same but the AP along with the options I want are just above the budget I want to spend. If I could manage to source a reasonable discount on AP and options like yourself then I might reconsider.

#144082 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thanks NosherN. That’s good to hear. Unfortunately, the sports seats would be problematic for us, as I have sciatica and am a big bloke, so the hard sides of the seat bases would be a bit too cosy and the ridge between the fixed base and extendable section is exactly the sort of thing that triggers my discomfort. Also, as my wife has to reverse into the car and sit on the seat edge before swinging around, a less pronounced ridge is preferable. It’s a shame, as we had a 5 Series Touring M-Sport courtesy car some time back and the sports seats were fantastic, but they are much bigger and wider than those in the X1 and less firm. If we had gone ahead and bought the X5, like you have, then we would have been equally happy with the sports seats.

#144105 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

I can now understand why you retained the standard style X-Line seats, especially for your wife.

I can also relate to your description of the seats in your 5 Series, however, as with most ‘cars’ as opposed to SAV’s and SUV’s access and egress is far easier in some repects as they are of a lower access height. Incidentally, I have chosen ‘comfort’ seats for my X5 order, even though my disability would benefit more from the ‘Sport’ seats option. The fact that the X5 is so high and without the option of a side step, realises that the comfort seat is the better option for accessing and egressing the car.

#144124 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

NosherN – I had the comfort seats in both a 5 Series and a 7 Series (in fact the 750i Sport that I owned had them in the rear as well 😂) and the range of adjustment is amazing. I particularly liked how the backrests are ‘split’, so you can bring the upper section towards you without pushing your lower back forwards. I would say that although they are described as ‘comfort’ seats, which implies soft, they are actually closer to the sport seats. Another thing I liked was the fact that the side bolsters automatically ‘relaxed’ outwards when you parked and then hugged you back in to the seat when you started the car, which eased access and egress. On the X5, you also now have the benefit of the standard adjustable suspension, so we were thinking if we got one that we would lower the car to the lowest setting to get in and out. Helpfully, the car automatically resets to the normal position once you pull away.

#144177 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

On the X5, you also now have the benefit of the standard adjustable suspension, so we were thinking if we got one that we would lower the car to the lowest setting to get in and out. Helpfully, the car automatically resets to the normal position once you pull away.

Unfortunately, and only as of last week BMW announced “Due to a severe worldwide capacity restriction, several variants of the X5 and X6 models have been affected by a short term restriction of option 2VR (Front and Rear Air Suspension).
    This restriction is expected to last from Week 14 (April) until Week 27 (June) although may be extended depending on the levels of supply of the restricted components at the end of this period.
    To ensure the continued supply of X5 and X6 orders we have temporarily removed option 2VR from the standard equipment of the affected models from week 14 production.The RRP for each affected model has been reduced by £700 inc VAT (See tableon page 4).To make the change visible these affected models will contain option ZVR (Deletion of Front and Rear Air Suspension).M Sport Variants of these models will default to 2VF (M Adaptive Suspension) and for xLine/Sport models these will default to Adaptive Suspension. The product libraries will be updated accordingly to reflect these changes.”

As air suspension was a must requirement for my X5 order and I had to pay extra for the third row seating at a cost of nearly £1,500.00 to submit my order, alternatively I would have had to wait until at the earliest, June for an update. I did manage to get the dealer to absorb most of the additional cost so it was a win, win situation, although I have to confess I would have preferred the 5 seat configuration as underfloor boot storage is lost with the third row option.

#144357 Reply
    John

When do you guys think the new X1 will go on sale? I’m supposed to hand over in September so I’m wondering if I should wait or not as I was going to order the X1 in June

#144363 Reply
    Landyman

I did read somewhere that it’s due spring 2022.

#144365 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

When do you guys think the new X1 will go on sale? I’m supposed to hand over in September so I’m wondering if I should wait or not as I was going to order the X1 in June

Hi John. I spent some time trying to find this out and the best that I could come up with was the first half of 2022. The new X1 is currently out testing in camouflaged form, so I would think that this would be the latest date. I considered extending our current lease and holding out for it, but two things dissuaded me. Firstly the fact that the New X1 may not come on to the Motability scheme immediately that it is launched. Secondly, I am concerned at how choice within the Motability scheme is being eroded and there is very much a push towards smaller engined cars and most of the SUV”s now being restricted to 2WD versions. At present, we can get the 2.0i high output petrol X1 (a quick and powerful car) in the luxury trimmed xLine version with 4WD. I am not confident that we may be so lucky by the time that the new model joins the scheme.

If I hadn’t wanted the most powerful engine, top spec and 4WD version, I think I might have held off for the new model, but the other danger of waiting for a new model launch is that when Motability add a new car they sometimes do so with just a very limited choice (the new Hyundai Tucson is a current example) and then as time goes by they widen the choice. You then have the dilemma of ‘is this the best I’m going to be allowed, or do I hold off and see if more models are added in the future?’. Taking all of these things into consideration I decided to bite the bullet, as by the time the new model is out we may be a year or so into our lease and it allows time for the new model choices on the scheme to settle.

One other thing to consider is the 25e PHEV version. Given that the X1 is in its final year I am surprised that this variant has not joined the Motability scheme, especially as the Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge has. I guess that supply and demand might mean that BMW don’t need to discount it enough to make it viable for Motability, but that may well change as it becomes a run-out model. You may find that it joins the scheme in time for you to order.

#144400 Reply
    John

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks Glos Guy I’m thinking the same as you if I’m honest as I would like that the model you’ve chosen, what is the xline steering wheel like as I’m used to Audi Slime and Mercedes AMG steering wheel</p>

#144402 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks Glos Guy I’m thinking the same as you if I’m honest as I would like that the model you’ve chosen, what is the xline steering wheel like as I’m used to Audi Slime and Mercedes AMG steering wheel</p>

I’m not big into steering wheels John, but it felt small and chunky to me, which is how I like them. The Sport and M-Sport models have a different ‘sports steering wheel’, but that’s not an option on the X-Line. I find that AutoTrader is a really good research tool. If you look at any new or 2020 X1 xLine you will see the steering wheel and functions up close.

#144849 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Very impressive service from both my supplying BMW dealer and Motability this morning. The AP on the X1 that I ordered early last week dropped by £100 when Quarter 2 launched a few days later. I wasn’t overly bothered as it was just £100, but the dealer was insistent that the £100 was better in my pocket than Motability Operations. Anyway, they cancelled the order with Motability this morning and re-ordered immediately. Within minutes I received a confirmation email from Motability and when I checked my online account the order had already been authorised and the new lower AP was showing.

As the order with Motability is completely different to the order with the manufacturer, my delivery time won’t be affected as the order with BMW was placed at the beginning of last week and is unaffected by the Motability order process, which is just admin. The £100 will cover a few pub lunches in the new car when we eventually get it. Lovely jubbly!

#144859 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

Anotber annoying thing with the random adding or subtracting of cars is that your ideal motor can cone on two weeks after you placed an order. Which if you then decide to change makes us look like the ones messing about, yet all we want is the best most suitable car for ourselves. Starting to wonder what’s the point of the quarterly system. Rant over.

@Gloss Guy so has the inclusion of the 2.0tsi Tiguan, made you change your mind or you sticking with the BMW?

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#144862 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Anotber annoying thing with the random adding or subtracting of cars is that your ideal motor can cone on two weeks after you placed an order. Which if you then decide to change makes us look like the ones messing about, yet all we want is the best most suitable car for ourselves. Starting to wonder what’s the point of the quarterly system. Rant over. @Gloss Guy so has the inclusion of the 2.0tsi Tiguan, made you change your mind or you sticking with the BMW?

No, we would still prefer the X1 over the Tiguan 2.0TSi. Last time we opted for the Tiguan as we weren’t impressed with the interior of the 2018 X1, which seemed quite ‘budget’ compared to the 5 Series I had at the time. It also had a small iDrive screen and poor standard seats. The facelift version has improved seats, larger iDrive screen and improved interior quality, including leather look dash with contrast stitching etc. Even though our current Tiguan has leather, we felt that the X1 now looks more upmarket. I know from experience having had a lot of VW’s and BMW’s that BMW engines, transmissions, Sat Nav etc are all far superior to VW. Also, although the Tiguan is loaded with kit, a lot of it doesn’t work as well as the comparable BMW setup (Adaptive Headlights is an example).

The attraction of the Tiguan added today is that it is a 190PS with 4WD (as opposed to the 1.5 2WD which was offered previously) but the X1 we have ordered is the same. Even after adding the options that we have to the X1 we will still be a bit down on equipment compared to the Tiguan, but I was keen to move away from the Tiguan and I feel relieved to be going back to a BMW. I find them to be excellent drivers cars and they always seem to get the perfect balance between performance and economy. By contrast, the Tiguan is dull to drive (even with the 190PS diesel) and things like the rubbish sat nav, over reactive adaptive cruise and slow to react adaptive headlights still irritate me even after 3 years. It’s been a perfectly good functional car but whilst I still have a bit of life left in me I’d like to have something that I will also enjoy driving – and that’s the BMW.

Viewing 24 replies - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
Reply To: The Great SUV Hunt
Your information: