The Great SUV Hunt

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143205 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Today is the first day that we can order our next Motability car to replace our VW Tiguan 2.0TDi 190PS 4Motion DSG SEL. As the dealerships remain closed, we are holding off until Q2 as there’s no way I would order a car without having had a decent test drive. This is made easier by the fact that there’s nothing available currently that we have our heart set on. My wife is a full time wheelchair user and prefers SUV’s as she finds it easier to get in and out of them. I have occasional back and sciatica issues so the higher driving position is handy for me too. The boot needs to be big enough to accommodate the wheelchair but ideally some luggage as well. We have always had 4WD SUV’s but now that we are both retired (so can stay at home if it’s dodgy weather) that’s no longer essential, but is still preferred. My wife is keen that we move away from diesel. An EV is impractical for us as although it would be fine for 95% of our journeys and we have a large garage to charge a car in, we couldn’t be doing with range anxiety on longer journeys and holidays. On that basis, a PHEV could be a good option, or a petrol car.

As I like a checklist (😂) I have made a list of all the things that we consider to be essential (Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Heated Front Seats, LED Headlights, Electric Tailgate, rain sensing wipers & auto headlights, climate control) and the things that we would ideally like (Leather, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Premium Sound System, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive Headlights, Auto High Beam, Keyless Entry, Digital Dash). I have shortlisted cars that we like the look of against this list. All the cars have pros and cons. The 5 cars on the shortlist (prior to any changes in Q2) are as follows;

VW Tiguan Elegance – Positives are that it has virtually everything as standard and all we would add is the Harman Kardon sound system and (in order to get a flush boot floor) a spare wheel. Negatives are that the only petrol is a 1.5 litre 2WD, leather is a ridiculous £1500 extra which we couldn’t justify and I fancy a change as we have had several Tiguans. If the 2.0TSi 4WD comes on the scheme it will be a very hard car to ignore though.

Ford Kuga ST-Line X Edition PHEV – Positives are that it’s well equipped and we would add the Technology Pack (adaptive headlights & Head Up Display) plus the Driver Assistance Pack, it would be cheap to run and we could do most of our journeys on electric power, but have no range anxiety issues. Negatives are that it’s 2WD, only half leather, the interior looks a bit low rent compared to the other cars on the shortlist and I’m a bit wary of CVT transmissions. However, in a group test against the Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge and Pug 3008 PHEV by Car Magazine, they rated the Kuga as the best of the three.

Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro. Positives are similar to the Kuga, but it’s a premium car and the interior looks far better. Cons are that Adaptive Cruise is massively expensive (part of a pack), you can’t get adaptive headlights even as an option, fuel economy is far worse than the Kuga PHEV and several members of this forum have reported issues with the seats on the model that we would look at.

Audi Q3 S-Line. Positives are that it’s a premium brand and the Audi Multimedia system is excellent. Negatives are that it’s a 1.5 engine, a lot of the things that we want are either very expensive options or, in the case of adaptive headlights and keyless entry, not even available, which seems very odd. It also looks a bit dinky compared to some of the others.

BMW X1 20i 4WD X-Line. Positives are that I really like BMW’s from a driving, refinement and performance v economy perspective. It’s also 4WD, powerful and has first class multimedia. Negatives are that it’s a bargain basement BMW compared to the models further up the range (which shows in interior quality), it’s effectively a run-out model as an all new version is due next year, a lot of the kit that we want is only in expensive option packs, not all of which I could justify.

Keen to hear views from those who have these cars, especially on the aspects that I consider to be negatives (as you might be able to reassure me) and I shall update as things progress, in particular with the inevitable changes in Q2 and as a result of checking the cars out in the flesh.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #143676 Reply
    Richard Hewett

I picked up my x line 20i xdrive last Thursday and I was informed that the engine is 192bhp 0-62 7.3 seconds top speed 139mph,semi auto 8 speed sport auto.

i also went for the 566 wheels they have been ceramic coated already but went better with the phytonic blue

Agree the original wheels looked better with mineral grey

#143678 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I picked up my x line 20i xdrive last Thursday and I was informed that the engine is 192bhp 0-62 7.3 seconds top speed 139mph,semi auto 8 speed sport auto. i also went for the 566 wheels they have been ceramic coated already but went better with the phytonic blue Agree the original wheels looked better with mineral grey

Hi Richard. Thanks for clarifying. Have you driven it on the motorway yet? If so, I was wondering what you thought of the tyre noise at speed, as so many reviews mention it. I usually have cruise control on at 79mph as the Police only bother with speeds over 80mph! Also, how long did it take from order to delivery? I have spoken to 2 dealers. One said around 3 months but the one I trust more said X1 orders are taking up to 6 months. Thanks.

#143680 Reply
    Richard Hewett

My car came with full leather interior,front and rear parking sensors,full led headlights,comfort access electric folding mirrors with x1 shines on floor also all lights are led even in door handles also has different coloured ambient lighting . No CD player but we stream all our music via deeza hii standard stereo has subs under driver and passenger seats. Padesrtrian breaking,lane keep assist,electric opening tailgate front remote control fob or button in car.

im sure there is more invoice was for nearly 36k and I added no options.

#143681 Reply
    Matthew

Does anyone know when next year the new X1 is out .?

#143682 Reply
    Richard Hewett

Hi Glos guy

I picked the car up from Hampshire and I live in Essex so I drove home around 100miles the x1 was very nice to drive on the way home only noise was the wind from the mirrors,I specked 566 wheels they came with Bridgestone turanza 225/40/18 non run flats apparently only run flats if you spec 19 wheels.

unfortunatly my order was a joke I think I suffered from a dealer selling my car twice to a non mobility customer we all know it happens to took 9 yes nine months, still I was happy driving my Ford Focus st3 but the step up in build quality is still very evident.

#143683 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Does anyone know when next year the new X1 is out .?

Hi Matthew. The most specific info that I can find just says ‘first half 2022’, although disguised versions are current testing which may indicate that it might be unveiled later this year. Then, of course, comes the question of how long after launch it will be before it appears on Motability and then which versions will we be deemed worthy of!

#143684 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Glos guy I picked the car up from Hampshire and I live in Essex so I drove home around 100miles the x1 was very nice to drive on the way home only noise was the wind from the mirrors,I specked 566 wheels they came with Bridgestone turanza 225/40/18 non run flats apparently only run flats if you spec 19 wheels. unfortunatly my order was a joke I think I suffered from a dealer selling my car twice to a non mobility customer we all know it happens to took 9 yes nine months, still I was happy driving my Ford Focus st3 but the step up in build quality is still very evident.

Thats good to hear Richard but 9 months lead time 😱. If it’s going to take 6 months or more I think I would have to question whether I should hold on for the all new model, but that carries its own risks as, if retail demand is high, Motability may take a while to get it on the scheme and the way that the scheme is going I could see the 20i versions not appearing on the new model. God I hate this renewal process!

P.S. Shame it doesn’t have a CD player. I’m old school and have loads of CD’s. I do have Amazon Prime which gets Amazon Music, so I might have to see if I can get that to work through Apple Car Play or s9mething?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Glos Guy.
    #143689 Reply
    coxy
    Participant

Hi Richard, as far as I was aware the engines are now 178PS for the 2.0 petrol, my dealer wasn’t aware of this when I asked him. the November 2021 brochure I had definetely shows the output as 178PS and not 192PS that showed in the April 2020 brochure. BMW genius confirmed this to me before I took delivery on the 1st March. (enquired to see if I would be getting the 2021 model).  The emissions is now lower on the new engine, 0-62 now 7.3 as opposed to 7.4 for the 192PS engine.

Model, 0-62, Combined MPG, Combined MPG l/100km, Combined emissions
    xDrive20i xLine 192 (7.4) (37.2-38.2) (7.6-7.4) (172-167)
    xDrive20i xLine 178 (7.3) (39.2-40.4) (7.3-7.0) (165-160)

#143697 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

No runflats on 18” standard wheels but I believe they are fitted on the optional 19” wheels.

Also the 2.0i engine is not a twin turbo. All BMW engines designated “twin turbo” are in fact a single turbo with a ‘twin scroll’. Confusing I know!

#143699 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

Glos you could extend and wait for the new BMW X1 likely to be out next year, the small leaks that have come out have shown it’ll have a great new interior, hopefully it’ll remain on the scheme, parked next to a Tiguan elegance today and yes it’s got all the kit etc but it’s so boring, I’m so sad that VW aren’t more brave with their designs, they make so many suvs (I think they’re added 3-4 more this year all around the size between tcross / Tiguan) but they’re all boring, also I feel like the xc40 will get a facelift soon too as it’s been out for almost 4 years, plus who knows what april has in store

#143701 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi TheSUVGuy – Yes, that will be the dilemma. If we really like the X1 when we look at it tomorrow do we go ahead and order, knowing that it could take 6 months to arrive (or longer if Germany goes into more lockdowns), or do we hold on for the all new X1 that’s possibly less than a year away and order as soon as it comes on the scheme, assuming that it does?

The problems with waiting for the new model are that if retail demand is strong (which it will be) it may take some time after launch before Motability can get it on the scheme. Also, as we know, the Motability scheme seems to be on a prolonged decline when it comes to choice and the current X1 is fairly unique at present in still being available on the scheme as a powerful 2.0 litre 4WD in a higher level trim. The cynic in me can see us only being ‘allowed’ the new X1 in SE trim and with the lower end engines. It’s a tough one.

I agree that the Tiguan is a fairly dull car. Ours is the SEL in Indium Grey metallic (which hides the ugly grey plastic skirts) and with Storm Grey two-tone leather interior, so in that colour and trim combo it does look a classy car both inside and out and the looks have grown on me. It seems daft that headlights can make such a big difference (even when they aren’t switched on), but I actually think that the front of the higher trim models looks very smart but the lower spec models (without LED headlights) look quite ugly and old fashioned. The lights make a massive difference. The Tiguan also has a number of advantages over the X1. The kit count is a lot better (with the notable exception of leather – we had to pay over £1,500 for that) but it also feels a significantly bigger car inside than the X1 and has a higher ride height (which my wife prefers). Interior quality isn’t that far behind the BMW and whilst BMW usually score better on refinement, this is a comparative weak point with the X1 due to the excessive road noise that the current model seems to suffer from (according to countless reviews I have read). Hopefully they will invest in a bit more soundproofing in the new model!

Kit count isn’t everything though, as I have discovered that many of the features in the VW don’t work as well as the BMW equivalents. Most notably, Sat Nav and Adaptive Headlights, where the BMW versions are far superior to those offered by VW. The VW Sat Nav is rubbish compared to BMW’s brilliant iDrive version and whilst the range of the VW LED’s seems to be slightly longer than those that I had in my 5 Series, they take far longer to revert to full beam once oncoming traffic has passed. Also, engine technology in BMW’s is a generation ahead of VW. We have the 190PS TDi Tiguan and it has a degree of lag at times that you never get in a BMW and VW haven’t mastered the perfect balance of power versus economy that BMW has completely nailed.

As we aren’t using the car as much as we used to (combination of retirement and lockdowns) my wife thinks that it would be better to hold on to the Tiguan until the new X1 (or something better) comes on the scheme. She also isn’t as keen on BMW’s as I am! The acid test will be tomorrow when we look at the X1. 3 years ago I was very keen to get one and have to say that when we checked it out we were both underwhelmed with it, but I had a 5 Series at the time and the X1 compared very poorly against it in lots of areas. I sold the 5 Series a year ago so the only comparison now is with the Tiguan. My worries remain seat comfort, interior space and boot space for the wheelchair, as the Tiguan scores very highly in all these areas and I suspect may still score higher than the X1. I much prefer the look of the X1 but you can’t see it when you are driving it! It’s a tough one!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Glos Guy.
    #143714 Reply
    sif

I know my wife is hard to please when it comes to cars. She can be pretty on the money too in seeing things that I don’t.  She summed up the x1 as a BMW for people who can’t afford a BMW.

#143715 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I know my wife is hard to please when it comes to cars. She can be pretty on the money too in seeing things that I don’t. She summed up the x1 as a BMW for people who can’t afford a BMW.

😂 I sort of know what she means though sif, as that’s fairly close to what we thought when we looked at it in 2018. I’ve had loads of BMW’s over the years (3, 5 and 7 Series) and we were shocked at the difference in interior quality from what we were used to. It just didn’t seem in the same league. However, my understanding is that BMW responded to some of this criticism with the 2020 MY facelift, by improving the standard seats and upgrading some of the interior finishes. What I can’t establish is whether or not they improved the sound proofing. My biggest concern is the number of reviews that I have read that refer to road noise in the X1. One review said that you needed to talk in a raised voice at 70mph, another that you needed to crank the radio up and another still described ‘unacceptable’ levels of road noise compared to its peers. This concerns me as although most of our journeys are around 15 miles each way, most of this is on a motorway, where I tend to set cruise at 79mph.

#143720 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Glos Guy, whether the road noise is acceptable or not will depend on the surfaces you drive on.  Our routine high speed runs are from Dorset to either Surrey or southeast London usung M3, M25 and M20. Most of the time there’s no need to even raise our voice in conversation.  On the short concrete section of M3 and the appalling concrete surface of the M25 around Leatherhead it’s pretty bad, but as we do those runs only once a month (in normal times) it’s not something we bother about.  If we were doing it every day, we would definitely look for a quieter car.  Hopefully you can arrange to have a  test drive on your regular route.

#143722 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy, whether the road noise is acceptable or not will depend on the surfaces you drive on. Our routine high speed runs are from Dorset to either Surrey or southeast London usung M3, M25 and M20. Most of the time there’s no need to even raise our voice in conversation. On the short concrete section of M3 and the appalling concrete surface of the M25 around Leatherhead it’s pretty bad, but as we do those runs only once a month (in normal times) it’s not something we bother about. If we were doing it every day, we would definitely look for a quieter car. Hopefully you can arrange to have a test drive on your regular route.

Hi Wigwam. I appreciate that road surfaces make a huge difference, as they do with any car. I guess my concern is that the criticisms of the X1 in so far as road noise is concerned is that it is noticeably nosier than its peers over comparable roads and a good proportion of our mileage is on motorways. Thankfully the motorways that we use a lot are tarmac. Noise is a subjective thing and obviously depends on what people are used to. I like driving Fords, for example, but their sound insulation is poor and I always think a door is ajar! Would you say that the tyre noise in the X1 gets even louder as speeds increase? I tend to cruise at 79mph (the maximum the Police ignore 😂).

Quick question re spec. Someone mentioned lane assist is standard, but I thought that was part of the driver assistance pack? Is it standard? Like many manufacturers, BMW have a tendency to mention some things in option packs that are standard on the car!

#143725 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Subjectively, I don’t think the road noise as louder at 80 than 70 say.  I don’t really know but I certainly don’t slow down to lessen it as I think I would if it helped to make the car quieter.

I don’t think there is lane assist that does anything to keep you in the lane. I think there is a warning sound if you change lanes without indicating.  It’s the sort of thing I turn off.

#143812 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I promised those of you who had kindly helped with my questions an update. Well, in short, we have taken the plunge and ordered the following

BMW X1 xDrive20i xLine in Mineral Grey Metallic with Oyster Dakota Leather.
    Options added – Technology Pack 1 (Adaptive Headlights, High Beam Assist, Reversing Camera, Enhanced Bluetooth & Wireless Charging), Sun Protection Glass and Harman/Kardon Surround Sound System.

Got the discounts mentioned previously (including £500 off the AP) and the promise that we can cancel and re-order later this week if the AP drops in Q2. No deposit requested.

The wheelchair fitted fine in the boot, even with the rear seats in the most rearward and reclined position, so no need for the sliding seat option (thanks Wigwam for helping on that one). Mrs Glos Guy found getting in and out to be no worse than the Tiguan. The seats are a little smaller than those in the Tiguan but much improved on those in the pre facelift model X1. Shock horror – Mrs Glos Guy also slightly preferred the interior of the X1 over the Tiguan and now likes the exterior look (we have now discovered that the ones she kept saying that she didn’t like were the original X1’s, which I agree were quite ugly).

The X1 does feel smaller inside than the Tiguan, but the one we were in today had a black interior. Hopefully the lighter Oyster interior may help make it feel a bit bigger. The X1 does feel a tad dated inside compared to the Tiguan but what a joy to experience iDrive again rather than the dire VW system!

Mrs Glos Guy is also happy that we are moving from diesel to petrol and will still have 4WD. I am happy that it’s a car with some punch (as they are rapidly disappearing from the scheme) and I have never driven a bad BMW (and I’ve driven dozens of them). I am anticipating the much mentioned road noise, so the Harman/Kardon Surround Sound System will help to distract me 😂

Doubtless we run the risk of the car taking 6 months to arrive, by which time the all new model may have been announced, but the way the Motability scheme is going I can see the lower spec / smaller engine versions being all that we are allowed by then! It’s always a risk when you order but I’m ready for a change after a run of Tiguans.

Quick question for the X1 owners on here. The spec on the order shows front and rear parking sensors, but also Park Assist. What is that? Is it the automated parking aid that steers the car into a space, like we have on the Tiguan? I didn’t think that the X1 had this?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Glos Guy.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Glos Guy.
    #143821 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well done Glos Guy and Mrs Glos Guy too. Great choice.

Yes the park assist is what you say. We’ve never tried it!

#143829 Reply
    Landyman

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Congrats Glos Guy a very nice colour choice.</p>
    Did you manage to get a test drive?

#143841 Reply
    Davie hoods

I have had mine for 3 years can honestly say it the best car I have ever owned faultless looks fantastic, bmw dealers are class,

I just got a hilux from my work so sadly I’m not renewing bit if I was I it would be the same again

It  will be worth the 6 month wait

#143844 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Congrats Glos Guy a very nice colour choice.</p> Did you manage to get a test drive?

Hi Landyman. I’ve done what I said I would never do and order it without a test drive! We were allowed full access to the car (a brand new xLine) for well over an hour, could start it and play with the controls, but couldn’t drive it. In my defence, I have owned loads of BMW’s, driven a previous generation X1 and also driven a 5 Series with the same engine as we have ordered for the X1 (2.0i petrol) and it was a peach. Even after 12th April the dealership doesn’t have an X1 demonstrator and the used one that we could drive would have to be a short distance on trade plates, so I’m not sure that I would have been much wiser by waiting for that.

I have never driven a bad BMW (I’ve probably driven 50 of them) and I’ve read and watched countless reviews on the X1 and the one major negative is the road noise, so I have ordered it on the assumption that this will be noticeable. I am hoping that the combination of standard suspension (rather than firmer sport suspension), 18” alloys with non run-flats and the top end audio upgrade will all conspire to lessen impact of the noise! Our main worries were boot space (for the wheelchair), access and egress for my wife and seat comfort of the standard seats. We were happy with all of these aspects. The seats were a big improvement on the ones we tried in the 2018 model last time and the interior upgrade with the 2020 LCI refresh has made it look a little less bargain basement BMW. If I was being picky, the seat could have done with an inch or so longer depth and a tilt function. The lack of auto hold will no doubt irritate me, but I can’t discount the car on that alone.

We are retired now, so if it turns out to be a poor decision it won’t be as problematic to live with for 3 years as it would have been when used for commuting.  The dealer (who I know, as I have bought cars from them before) did me a good deal, have not asked for a deposit (even though I’ve added £1600 of options) and offered to cancel the order and re-order if the AP reduces in Q2. I decided to bite the bullet, especially as Mrs Glos Guy (whose entitlement it is) liked it, and she’s not as keen on BMW’s as me! There’s obviously a risk that I might live to regret it, but there are one or two things that irritate me in the Tiguan, so on days when I notice the road noise I shall remind myself of those!

#143850 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

My experience with the X1 was sadly negative and we exchanged it for a Tucson after 7 months. We had a problem with a defective automatic gearbox, identified as a fault by the dealer who then tried to deny all knowledge of it. However, apart from this the car was good overall, the info system top notch but a bit too much wind and tyre noise.

#143851 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

BTW, can I just ask if any of the X1 drivers on here have Adaptive Headlights (within Technology Pack 1), as opposed to the standard LED headlights?

If so, does this include High Beam Assist? On the BMW Configurator, High Beam Assist is shown as being included within the Adaptive Headlights. However, in the price list it’s not mentioned as being part of the Tech Pack 1 but is in the Driver Assistance Pack. Confused?

I can’t see how Adaptive Headlights can possibly work without High Beam Assist, as with the Adaptive Headlights I have had on my last 2 cars (including a BMW 5 Series) they work by leaving them on high beam and letting the headlights ‘cut out’ the oncoming traffic (or traffic you are following) to avoid glare. If anyone can clarify I would be grateful.

#143852 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My experience with the X1 was sadly negative and we exchanged it for a Tucson after 7 months. We had a problem with a defective automatic gearbox, identified as a fault by the dealer who then tried to deny all knowledge of it. However, apart from this the car was good overall, the info system top notch but a bit too much wind and tyre noise.

That’s a shame fwippers. At least you were able to return the car. If I find the noise to be too problematic I might have to discover a fault! I hope that the Tucson has proved to be a suitable replacement.

#143853 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

The Tucson has many advantages over the X1, generous spec in particular but the X1 has the better drive train and info system. Both very good cars in my view.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 99 total)
Reply To: The Great SUV Hunt
Your information: