The Great SUV Hunt

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143205 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Today is the first day that we can order our next Motability car to replace our VW Tiguan 2.0TDi 190PS 4Motion DSG SEL. As the dealerships remain closed, we are holding off until Q2 as there’s no way I would order a car without having had a decent test drive. This is made easier by the fact that there’s nothing available currently that we have our heart set on. My wife is a full time wheelchair user and prefers SUV’s as she finds it easier to get in and out of them. I have occasional back and sciatica issues so the higher driving position is handy for me too. The boot needs to be big enough to accommodate the wheelchair but ideally some luggage as well. We have always had 4WD SUV’s but now that we are both retired (so can stay at home if it’s dodgy weather) that’s no longer essential, but is still preferred. My wife is keen that we move away from diesel. An EV is impractical for us as although it would be fine for 95% of our journeys and we have a large garage to charge a car in, we couldn’t be doing with range anxiety on longer journeys and holidays. On that basis, a PHEV could be a good option, or a petrol car.

As I like a checklist (😂) I have made a list of all the things that we consider to be essential (Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Heated Front Seats, LED Headlights, Electric Tailgate, rain sensing wipers & auto headlights, climate control) and the things that we would ideally like (Leather, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Premium Sound System, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive Headlights, Auto High Beam, Keyless Entry, Digital Dash). I have shortlisted cars that we like the look of against this list. All the cars have pros and cons. The 5 cars on the shortlist (prior to any changes in Q2) are as follows;

VW Tiguan Elegance – Positives are that it has virtually everything as standard and all we would add is the Harman Kardon sound system and (in order to get a flush boot floor) a spare wheel. Negatives are that the only petrol is a 1.5 litre 2WD, leather is a ridiculous £1500 extra which we couldn’t justify and I fancy a change as we have had several Tiguans. If the 2.0TSi 4WD comes on the scheme it will be a very hard car to ignore though.

Ford Kuga ST-Line X Edition PHEV – Positives are that it’s well equipped and we would add the Technology Pack (adaptive headlights & Head Up Display) plus the Driver Assistance Pack, it would be cheap to run and we could do most of our journeys on electric power, but have no range anxiety issues. Negatives are that it’s 2WD, only half leather, the interior looks a bit low rent compared to the other cars on the shortlist and I’m a bit wary of CVT transmissions. However, in a group test against the Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge and Pug 3008 PHEV by Car Magazine, they rated the Kuga as the best of the three.

Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro. Positives are similar to the Kuga, but it’s a premium car and the interior looks far better. Cons are that Adaptive Cruise is massively expensive (part of a pack), you can’t get adaptive headlights even as an option, fuel economy is far worse than the Kuga PHEV and several members of this forum have reported issues with the seats on the model that we would look at.

Audi Q3 S-Line. Positives are that it’s a premium brand and the Audi Multimedia system is excellent. Negatives are that it’s a 1.5 engine, a lot of the things that we want are either very expensive options or, in the case of adaptive headlights and keyless entry, not even available, which seems very odd. It also looks a bit dinky compared to some of the others.

BMW X1 20i 4WD X-Line. Positives are that I really like BMW’s from a driving, refinement and performance v economy perspective. It’s also 4WD, powerful and has first class multimedia. Negatives are that it’s a bargain basement BMW compared to the models further up the range (which shows in interior quality), it’s effectively a run-out model as an all new version is due next year, a lot of the kit that we want is only in expensive option packs, not all of which I could justify.

Keen to hear views from those who have these cars, especially on the aspects that I consider to be negatives (as you might be able to reassure me) and I shall update as things progress, in particular with the inevitable changes in Q2 and as a result of checking the cars out in the flesh.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #143208 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

Glos Guy I have given up finding anything remotely what I like so am happy to stay with my 2018 BMW X1 2.0i X-Line XD for the time being. I have just had it fully serviced, MOT’d and four new tyres and with only 24,000 miles I’m happy to stay in it for another year.

Noting your reference to the X1 I have to disagree with the bargain basement and perceived quality of the interior. I would go so far as stating that the interior as far as quality is concerned is typical BMW. I think you are confusing quality against moderninty. Yes the X1 is the last of the BMW line up to gain digital cockpit and a few other niceities but its trim quality is leagues above the new Tiguan. The latest X1 has LED lights front and rear and excellent fuel economy given its performance. I optioned Sport seats which I find are excellent and with fine adjustment. There are plenty of options to choose from to personalise it further, however, for me personally I would not spend £1,000’s on optional extras along with large AP for the sake of three years ownership, but that is just me. Now if it was a car as a personal purchase I would include possibly a few more options as I would see them as being extra cost options that I will get more use from.

Looking at your shortlist I am of the opinion that there is only one car worth considering and that is the X1.

Best of luck with any of your other choices!

#143209 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I don’t think you’ll find the smaller engines a problem, they are so much more efficient nowadays.  Years ago you needed 2.o ltr plus cars to get any sort of performance, these modern engines, despite being much smaller are so much more powerful.

Re premium brands and badges, I didn’t actually think that much of the Audi, and keyless entry not being an option is a joke.  The Volvo is a lovely car, but the fuel economy is appalling, BMW, whilst not having owned the X1, but a recent 2 series, I think is a much better built car than the Audi, and so what if it’s replaced by a newer model in a year or two, you only have the car for 3 years unless you love it so much and your mileage is low enough to extend.

Have you considered some of the “lesser” marques, the Skoda offerings are personally better quality than VW, even though sadly, they seem to be following the rest of VAG in making many things extras.  Seat again are really good cars, the Tarraco could be an option, as would the Peugeot 5008 possibly.

Who knows where Q2 will go, I think with the exception of the Audi, they are all potentially decent options, but unless you go Hyundai, I doubt you’ll find your wishlist fulfilled without a big extra bill for the extras you’d like.

I’d just ignore the badge, test drive everything, and who knows, you might get a pleasant surprise, and in the end, unless it’s already in the dealer chain, you could have a long wait, so maybe an EV to get you out of range anxiety might even come along

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#143211 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

I would consider the 3008 300 Hybrid,  it ticks most of your boxes,  and is the only vehicle on the scheme I would consider swapping my Ateca for,  Second choice probably the BMW,  but the gap in quality between the one and three series is massive

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#143214 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

NosherN – Like you, I haven’t ruled out extending our current lease. I wouldn’t want to keep it 2 years more, but the advantage of extending is that you aren’t tied to it so as soon as something decent that you like comes on the scheme you can order straight away. Of all the cars on the shortlist, the X1 is the one that I most like the look of and from a drivers perspective I am sure that it would be the best by some margin. My wife doesn’t like it but I’m now the sole driver. My comments were based on having owned loads of BMW’s (3, 5 and 7 series) over the years and when we were looking in 2018 I was driving a 5 Series at the time and the quality of the X1 cabin was miles behind my 5 series. Another issue that we had was that the seats were far too small, but I believe that they have improved them a bit since. I think that the sport seats might be too firm for my sciatica though. I don’t really want to have to add loads of optional extras, but the X1 doesn’t have a lot of things that I would now miss. My heart says the X1 but my head says keep other options open.

Intranicity – You make some really good points. I think you are probably right about the smaller engines. My daughter has a Ford Focus with a 1.0 engine and it’s a peach. Having not had anything less than a 2.0 litre for decades I think I just need to get with the times! I did look at Skoda and Seat on paper (my checklist 😂) but I found it strange that even though they are both supposed to be budget brands from within the VW stable, they both miss features that are standard in the Tiguan. With Skoda I’d have to add a load of options at cost and with Seat you can’t even add as options features that are missing. On the basis that I also prefer the look of the Tiguan (both inside and out) over the Skoda and Seat equivalents I discounted them both.

Roll on Q2 where my choices will either be narrowed down (if one or two are removed) or improved if something better is added!

#143217 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I would consider the 3008 300 Hybrid, it ticks most of your boxes, and is the only vehicle on the scheme I would consider swapping my Ateca for, Second choice probably the BMW, but the gap in quality between the one and three series is massive

I don’t like the interior of the 3008 Markw (the dash above the steering wheel just looks so wrong to me 😂) and my wife detests anything French! Also, the 3008 PHEV doesn’t get great reviews against the Volvo or Ford equivalents, generally finishing below both. Apparently the transition from electric to petrol is a bit rough, in addition to other things that put me off. Watched a number of reviews and wasn’t convinced. Agree about the gap between the X1 and the 3 Series. I would have loved the 320i Touring but sadly it is no more and my wife ideally wants an SUV. If it miraculously comes back on in Q2 I will force her to have a look at it though!

#143231 Reply
    kbfern

Our 2.0 diesel Tiguan SEL DSG 2018 model is also due for replacement and have been able to order since end of Feb.

I also fancied a change but it has to be an Auto box and the VAG box is about as good as they come forgetting BMW or perhaps Audi which are not suitable cars for us anyway. I had been thinking of the new Hyundai Tucson but looking at the video reviews have ruled that out too.Nothing of interest from Peugeot Ford or Seat and the Skoda Kodiak is a bit tired a needs an update and to much AP anyway.

If we are to keep the car for 6-12 months not really sure anything is coming out that is worth waiting for as I want to keep the AP to £2k max.

So think it’s the Tiguan 1.5 petrol DSG Elegance  as it ticks the boxes and comes in at £1975 AP, boring boring colours though and looking at Moonstone grey or Ginger Brown both with storm grey cloth interior.

At least the Moonstone grey will look clean without washing it off every week😁and it looks pretty nice in the flesh even though it’s not a colour as such.

I spoke with the local dealers today and he said if order placed before end of March delivery would be end June/early July so we will consider our options between now and next week and 95% sure we will go ahead with another Tiggy. We have been 90% happy with our current car and the new one is even a bit nicer with a few more options like auto tailgate and heated steering wheel which is nice to have FOC.

#143236 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

kbfern- Agree about the poor colour choice. I thinks it’s a German thing! Our current Tiguan is grey, chosen because it hides the horrid grey plastic skirts. If we were set on another Tiguan we would have gone for an R-Line, until the facelift when VW, in their infinite wisdom, made it very much the secondary model in the range after the Elegance. Madness. The 2.0TSi 4 Motion 190PS Tiguan was due to come onto the scheme in Q4 but wasn’t released in the UK until around a month ago. I would think that there’s a possibility that it might appear in Q2. Also, I am wondering if the Tiguan PHEV might come on to Motability when it arrives in the UK. I would have thought no way, due to price, but the XC40 and 3008 PHEV’s are similar prices and I should think that the Tiguan is even more popular than those with Motability customers, so who knows? Both of these will be above your £2k budget though, but the 2.0TSi may only be by £500 or so. Spec wise, the Tiguan Elegance is hard to beat. Just a shame that it doesn’t have leather as standard. I just find the Tiguan a bit boring. The PHEV one might ease that as the electric aspect would be a novelty!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Glos Guy.
    #143240 Reply
    AlanBang
    Participant

Hi, new here but have been following this forum for a while.  Our Smax is due up by the end of the year (we extended the 3yr to a 5yr) so trying to find a decent replacement is proving tricky.   Generally the choice seems to dwindle each to my mind.    We don’t need the load carrying capacity of the Smax any more, I just need to fit 3 teenagers in the middle.   (I do like the Smax, despite it being a bit heavy but they no longer do the 190PS version)

I did have my eyes on the 3 series touring for a while and am now kicking myself for not ordering back in Dec as that only fitted the bill for us.   Now after looking through the catalogue, only the Tiguan (R line) looks the part as well as giving us the luggage space without the kids being too squashed in.    I did like the All Space, but it’s a shame they don’t do a 5 seat version of that.   Seems a waste transporting the extra seats around.

I’m hoping Q2 brings some improvements…or wait until Q3 (although that might be pushing my luck somewhat..)  Perhaps the Skoda Enyaq might make an appearance although I’m still not sold on all electric.

#143241 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi AlanBang and welcome to the forum. I agree with you about many of the 7 seater cars. We don’t need 7 seats but would like the extra boot space. It’s a shame when these cars can’t all be specified as 5 seaters.

I don’t know how up on the Tiguan you are, but VW has removed a lot of kit from the R-Line on the facelifted model, all of which remains standard on the Elegance model. To get the R-Line up to the same standard as the Elegance you need to add iQ Lights (adaptive headlights) at £415, Electric Tailgate (£320), Panoramic Sunroof (£945) and Rear View Camera (£370] – so a total of £2,000 to get it to the same level of equipment. Also, the R-Line has touch sensitive steering wheel controls that have had universally bad reviews as they are easy to activate inadvertently whilst driving. Those on the Elegance are normal buttons.

I’m not too hopeful about what, if anything Q2 will bring. Another member has been told by someone at Motability that they are negotiating with Toyota over the possible addition of the Highlander. I will be very surprised, as it’s over £50k, but it’s big and does contain pretty much everything we want as standard. Unfortunately it’s not a looker and the interior looks dated, but it would be nice to have the option.

#143246 Reply
    sif

I would be very wary of the Kuga phev, I got put off it by the sales manager of a big Ford dealership, my Nephew in Law. He said he would not sell one to his worst enemy until they had fixed all the problems with it. Said if I was determined to get one, give it a year. Then they might have sorted it out. Q2 might bring something nice on. Another vote for the 3008 300 AWD.

#143248 Reply
    Azzy

Of all the cars I’d say the Tiguan elegance is the best available at at decent price point.

ive got an XC40, it nice, well put together, ‘premium’ hate that word for cars, comfortable BUT poor mpg on b4, 1900miles and 24.9mpg.

My sister owned an x1 for over 3 years n I drove it quite a bit, the ride is definitely harsher than the XC40, I drive is excellent.

I cant comment on the q3 as it’s not to my taste so didn’t bother.

As for engine size I share your thoughts, 150bhp isn’t great but for everyday driving it is acceptable.

Think about keeping your current Tiguan longer as I don’t really think there’s a car cheap enough on the scheme atm to warrant a move.

#143252 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I would be very wary of the Kuga phev, I got put off it by the sales manager of a big Ford dealership, my Nephew in Law. He said he would not sell one to his worst enemy until they had fixed all the problems with it. Said if I was determined to get one, give it a year. Then they might have sorted it out. Q2 might bring something nice on. Another vote for the 3008 300 AWD.

Hi Sif. I had originally discounted the Kuga PHEV for the reasons that you mention (i.e. the battery problems – customers told not plug them in due to fire risks) plus the fact that it has a CVT transmission. However, after almost a year of delays, Ford seem to have sorted the battery problem and a recall programme is currently underway to fix existing cars and new orders will be OK. The current challenge is that customer cars have been prioritised and the PHEV that our local Ford dealership has isn’t due to be fixed until the end of April and they aren’t allowing test drives until then. As for the CVT transmission, which most hybrid cars seem to have, they sound strained when revved hard but the better ones provide a near seamless transition from electric to petrol power.

It really surprised me when I read and watched some group tests on PHEV’s that the Kuga was rated better than the XC40 as well as the 3008. The Kuga’s electric range is far better than the others and mpg significantly more in real world driving. The XC40 reviews were pretty good, but the economy wasn’t anywhere near as good as the Kuga and the brakes were universally criticised as being poor (a problem with many PHEV’s apparently due to regenerative breaking), whereas they were fine in the Kuga. The XC40 interior looks better than the Kuga though as it’s more modern and definitely more premium. The reviews on the 3008 were all quite poor in comparison to the others. The engine is quite coarse and the transition from electric to petrol wasn’t seamless. On the basis that I don’t like the dash arrangement the reviews confirmed that it wouldn’t make my shortlist.

#143254 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Of all the cars I’d say the Tiguan elegance is the best available at at decent price point. ive got an XC40, it nice, well put together, ‘premium’ hate that word for cars, comfortable BUT poor mpg on b4, 1900miles and 24.9mpg. My sister owned an x1 for over 3 years n I drove it quite a bit, the ride is definitely harsher than the XC40, I drive is excellent. I cant comment on the q3 as it’s not to my taste so didn’t bother. As for engine size I share your thoughts, 150bhp isn’t great but for everyday driving it is acceptable. Think about keeping your current Tiguan longer as I don’t really think there’s a car cheap enough on the scheme atm to warrant a move.

Hi Azzy. That’s useful feedback, thanks. We’ve had several Tiguan’s and I fancy a change, but I agree that it’s very hard to argue against them from an equipment, space and cost perspective. If I order with my head then it’s a clear winner for these reasons, but they do leave me a bit cold.

The B4-P XC40 was originally on my shortlist but the poor mpg put me off. It’s less about the cost of running it but more about the hassle of having to keep refuelling it. Hence the T5 Recharge might be a better bet. Interesting that you mention the XC40 as being comfortable as several people on this forum report problems with the seats. Do you have the Inscription Pro or R-Design? The problem seems to be with the former.

I know what you mean about the Q3. My wife put me off a bit when I was showing her the cars on the shortlist. She said “well I really like it, but I’m surprised that you do as it looks like a girls car” 😂

I haven’t driven the latest generation X1 but the reviews say that it’s a great drivers car but quite noisy on the motorway. That doesn’t surprise me as BMW tend not to invest in soundproofing and noise suppression in the lower range models, which is a shame. It has crossed my mind to keep our current car until the next generation X1 comes out as hopefully they will improve this and bring the car up to date (the interior looks dated now). BMW iDrive is indeed fantastic (I’ve had loads of BMW’s) but the new Mercedes MBUX system looks as good, if not better, especially with Augmented Reality Navigation. I put the GLA Premium Plus on my shortlist because of it, but it’s recently been removed. Decisions, decisions!

#143264 Reply
    sif

In the end, for me, coming to the conclusion that a 3008 was the best choice was down to safety and noise levels.  I feared for my life having spent the last six months arguing the case for a variety of cars only to be met the reluctant, scornful look from my wife that tells me she wants a 3008 and only a 3008. I also worry that getting anything else will result in permanent ear damage as a result of her pouncing on every little teething problem or noise of any 3008 alternative to tell me I got the wrong car. I always find it amusing to read of your own saga regarding your wife and her preferences.  I have given in for the sake of a quiet life. I hope you get a better result than me and logic prevails.

#143267 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

A crucial phrase I learned years ago, “Yes Dear” solves all problems. 😁

#143271 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

😂 Yes it’s a challenge keeping the other halves happy at times! I am conscious that the Motability car is technically my wife’s, so I have to respect her views, but as her disability has progressed she can now no longer drive so I will be the sole driver. Her assistance with the shortlist has been somewhat less than helpful. As well as telling me that the Q3 looks like a girls car, she feels that the X1 looks like a boot (footwear) from the side, and not like an SUV. I just can’t see it. I think it looks great. She likes the look of the Kuga and the XC40 and has been happy with the Tiguan, other than me moaning that it’s not a patch on a BMW! She hates anything French so they don’t get a look in. Thankfully, I’m not a great fan of French cars either, so that’s not as much of an issue 😂

The compromise that we have come to is that the number one priority is that she has to be able to easily transfer in and out of the car and that the wheelchair fits in the boot folded but without being dismantled. Any car that doesn’t meet both of these requirements will be removed from the shortlist, however much I like it. Beyond that, as I will be the sole driver (and will be paying the AP), the choice will be mine. Perhaps foolishly I have said that she can also choose the colour, but I many be selective in telling her which colours are available 😂

#143307 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

NosherN – Like you, I haven’t ruled out extending our current lease. I wouldn’t want to keep it 2 years more, but the advantage of extending is that you aren’t tied to it so as soon as something decent that you like comes on the scheme you can order straight away. Of all the cars on the shortlist, the X1 is the one that I most like the look of and from a drivers perspective I am sure that it would be the best by some margin. My wife doesn’t like it but I’m now the sole driver. My comments were based on having owned loads of BMW’s (3, 5 and 7 series) over the years and when we were looking in 2018 I was driving a 5 Series at the time and the quality of the X1 cabin was miles behind my 5 series. Another issue that we had was that the seats were far too small, but I believe that they have improved them a bit since. I think that the sport seats might be too firm for my sciatica though. I don’t really want to have to add loads of optional extras, but the X1 doesn’t have a lot of things that I would now miss. My heart says the X1 but my head says keep other options open.

Before my disabilities cut my career short I was an engineer in excess of 25 years within the motor industry, both manufacturing and retail. I have owned upwards of 40 brand new vehicles during my lifetime of which six have been BMW’s and I have a seventh BMW presently on order which is a BMW X5.

My wife had a Mk2 Tiguan R-Line 190ps at the same time I acquired my Motability X1 and I have to confess that there was very little in terms of practicality regarding boot space. In fact the overall and official volumes difference between both models is about 15 litres in favour of the Tiguan. Where the X1 beats the Tiguan is material quality. Even comparing the latest 2021 Mk3 Tiguan to the current F48 X1, the X1’s trim quality is far superior than that of the Tiguan, most notably door trim and seating materials. Yes the Tiguan is more technologically improved but VW and BMW are of different ‘premium’ classes of vehicle and so can only be compared by size classification.

Regarding your concern over the X1’s seating being firm. On the X1 X-Line the standard seating is more softer and less sculptured than the sport seat option. As someone who unfortunately, has oesteoathritic hips, lumbar facet syndrome and sciatica amongst other muscoskeletal disabilities I have found the sport seats most comfortable and with reasonable adjustment without specifying the option of electric adjustment. Your comparison of seat size is again a consideration to prioritise, but you cannot compare the seat size of an X1 with your previous experiences of your 5 Series. The X1 seats are dimmentionally the same size as what are fitted in the 1, 2, and 3 series along with the X1, X2 and X3 with slight styling variances. Larger and more accomodating seats are fitted to what are considered ‘business luxury class vehicles’ which includes X5, X6, X7 along with the 5 and 7 series.

If push comes to shove and you need to change your current Tiguan I do not think you will be disappointed with the X1. I think your wife will find ingress and egress excellent as the X1 body height is slightly higher than a conventional saloon/hatchback but not as high as a full fat SUV. And I believe if the Tiguan can accomodate your wife’s wheel chair then I am certain the X1 will with ease given that there is an option of sliding rear seats (was a no cost option) coupled with a secondary boot floor.

Most importantly, is selecting a choice of car that both your wife and yourself are happy with. I sure you, being such an articulate guy with what appears very good knowledge of the motor industry, you will make all the right decisions!

#143314 Reply
    POPS

I’ve looked at the SUV’s on the scheme over the last few months as I needed to add extra technology to ensure that I can continue to drive over the next couple of years.

My beloved BMW X1 Xline Xdrive 25D was four years old recently and lacked features that I now need, such as 360 degree cameras, blind spot mirrors, adaptive cruise control (radar), keyless entry, keyless boot opening, massage and fully electric driver’s seat, auto dimming lights etc. I also wanted a plug in EV for local trips.

In order to ensure the BMW was suitably equipped (back in 2017) I had to add £3000 plus of options on top of the £2999 AP, so this time I was determined to get everything I needed without adding any options. This reduced my choice to one vehicle.

A new Peugeot 3008 hybrid (GTPremium) arrived yesterday so I sadly waved goodbye to my still immaculate Beemer. My son and I went for a drive last night and we were both amazed at how smooth and quiet the Peugeot was in comparison to the BMW (obviously four years of use makes a difference as well). It really does feel quite luxurious. The wrap around iCockpit looks futuristic and also supplies a very comfortable armrest at the same time, and the touch screen ‘tech tablet’ was surprisingly simple for even this old codger to operate. The small steering wheel is excellent and allows a very clear view of the 12 inch info screen above the steering wheel. This negates the need for the heads up display that I had in the BMW. The leather and suede seats are really comfortable and supportive with a thigh bolster extension included, and the massage function is excellent and will be used a lot. The blue LED ambient lighting is both eye-catching and soothing, and the Focal hifi system that is standard on the GT Premium is even better than the Harman Kardon system in my Beemer. Rodrigo y Gabriella has never sounded so vibrant!

I’ve only had a brief thirty minute drive (ten miles local, ten miles motorway), so I’ll wait until I’ve driven it more before posting a more useful review.

#143317 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thanks NosherN. That’s all very useful info. I have already got the sliding rear seats down as an essential option if we get an X1, as when we looked in 2018 the boot was a squeeze for the wheelchair. I will keep an open mind re the Sport seats. Surprised that the 3 Series and X3 have the same size seats, as visually they look a lot closer to those in the 5 Series.

I agree that the Tiguan and X1 are in different classes. Frankly, I don’t consider VW to be a premium brand at all and certainly not in the same league as BMW or Audi. I see VW as firmly ‘upper mid sector’ along with Volvo, although I think the latter is starting to move into premium territory. Ford I see as mid-sector as it isn’t up to VW standards, but is a bit better than many of the budget brands.

I’m very envious that you have a new X5 on order. I came very close to ordering a new X5 myself just over a year ago, but the dealer had loaned their demonstrator to a disgruntled customer who was trying to reject his new car and he was insistent that he was keeping hold of their car until it was resolved! As it happened the chap did me a favour, as the world went mad shortly after with lockdowns etc and I would have had a very expensive brand new X5 sitting in the garage depreciating! I’ve always fancied one and I even have the personalised number plate X5 followed by my initials but it’s now on retention (sad, I know) 😂 Both my wife and I thought it was absolutely superb when we sat in the one in the showroom, but we wanted to try access with the variable suspension on its lowest setting and I was concerned that the split tailgate design (the one thing I don’t like about the X5) might make loading and unloading the wheelchair a challenge by having to stretch over it (not good with back issues). We are both retired now and because my wife can’t drive any more we now just need one car. I was all for ditching Motability and buying an X5 or a Porsche Macan S, but my wife (who has the entitlement) wants to stay in the scheme so we are restricted to what we are ‘allowed’ by Motability 🙄 Enjoy your X5 when you get it, as I am sure you will.

#143319 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Pops. Delighted to hear that your first impressions of the 3008 are good, especially after your 25d Beemer. Unfortunately my wife has a real block about anything French so I never get very far discussing them! The reviews I have read or watched on the 3008 PHEV haven’t been fantastic, especially when compared to its peers, mostly due to the petrol engine and transition between power sources. Is yours the plug in version? If so, I shall be interested to hear how you find those aspects as, given your experience with a top end X1, if you say that it’s not an issue I would trust you and might have another look (at least on paper for now).

#143320 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Glos Guy, you may be able to avoid the cost of the sliding rear seat on the X1 (which was standard when we got ours) if the back rests themselves still have multi-position adjustment.  Setting them vertically adds a lot of room in the upper area of the boot, allowing me to get MrsW’s ridiculously large suitcase in end on , which I can’t with them in the normal reclined position.

#143321 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy, you may be able to avoid the cost of the sliding rear seat on the X1 (which was standard when we got ours) if the back rests themselves still have multi-position adjustment. Setting them vertically adds a lot of room in the upper area of the boot, allowing me to get MrsW’s ridiculously large suitcase in end on , which I can’t with them in the normal reclined position.

Top tip Wigwam. Thank you. I will check that out when we can eventually go and look at the cars.

#143322 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

Thanks NosherN. That’s all very useful info.

My pleasure!

I’m very envious that you have a new X5 on order.  Both my wife and I thought it was absolutely superb when we sat in the one in the showroom, but we wanted to try access with the variable suspension on its lowest setting and I was concerned that the split tailgate design (the one thing I don’t like about the X5) might make loading and unloading the wheelchair a challenge by having to stretch over it (not good with back issues).

Well it is on order but at the moment delayed for four additional months due to BMW removing the air suspension option due to component shortages, which will be subject to further assessment in four months time. I do not mind waiting as like you already know they are fantasticly well engineered luxury vehicles of which as an previous owner I know the wait will be worth it.

I understand your point re; the tailgate, which is infact one of my desired likes of the X5. Fortunately, I am not a wheelchair user (yet) and I do not intend to load any heavy items in the boot when it arrives, I’ll leave that to the wife:).

I was all for ditching Motability and buying an X5 or a Porsche Macan S, but my wife (who has the entitlement) wants to stay in the scheme so we are restricted to what we are ‘allowed’ by Motability 🙄 Enjoy your X5 when you get it, as I am sure you will.

Before the X5 I did consider the Porsche Macan and Audi Q7. I owned a first generation Q7 which was one of the best cars I have ever owned. The Macan is essentially a re-bodied Audi Q5 which is not a bad thing but with no purchase incentives from Porsche it made the choice of buying another X5 more easier.

I also considered ditching the Motability Scheme also but I am happy to pay the relatively low costs for a general ‘runabout’ reserving my own car for nights out, day trips out and coastal holidays. Having my own car also retains my full NCB which has taken me many years to achieve but would lose after 2 years.

#143338 Reply
    AlanBang
    Participant

Thanks Glos Guy.   I will take a look at the Elegance.  I did contemplate the X1 as well given they still have the 190PS engine.   However general remarks are that it generates considerable tyre noise and it looks a bit smaller inside.

I keep toying whether to come out of the scheme and pick up an V60 or X60 instead.  The scheme does offer some great benefits albeit with a shrinking selection.   With dealership shortages, it looks like I will have plenty of time to contemplate !

#143380 Reply
    Landyman

I’m due to change in April but I’ve decided to keep my BMW X1 2.0d Xdrive if motability will allow me to extend.

The Beemer has everything I need, it’s fast enough when I need it, not that I need it much now, the auto box is the best I’ve ever used and it holds the road so well. Tyre/road noise really isn’t bad, I didn’t have the run flat tyres fitted which can make a difference to noise and harseness. Yes the interior is a bit dated but it as buttons and the fantastic idrive, I had the option of the heads up display fitted, which is a brill piece of kit . The sliding rear seat is a great feature it does split so you can carry a passenger in the back as well as having more boot space.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 99 total)
Reply To: The Great SUV Hunt
Your information: