The Great SUV Debate – X1 versus Tiguan versus Kuga

This topic contains 82 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Glos Guy 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #38485 Reply

Glos Guy

As some on this forum will know, I have been doing the research and groundwork for my wife’s Motability car renewal later this quarter. She wants another automatic SUV (she has to have hand controls) and would prefer 4WD with a 2.0 litre engine. Based upon brand and styling preferences, likes and dislikes etc we had narrowed the shortlist down to 3 cars from the new Q1 list, namely;

BMW X1 2.0 Petrol 4WD X-Line Auto
    VW Tiguan 2.0 190PS Diesel 4Motion SEL DSG Auto
    Ford Kuga 2.0 180PS Diesel 4WD ST Line X Auto

Yesterday we viewed all 3 cars back to back in order to make direct comparisons. The easiest one to dismiss was the Kuga. Whilst the styling of the ST Line versions massively enhance the visual appearance of the car over the very staid and dated looking Titanium X or Vignale versions, the car falls significantly short of the other two in terms of quality and technology. It is, after all, quite an old vehicle now compared to the X1 and Tiguan, which are both all-new models launched within the last 2 years. So we were quickly down to a choice of two.

Whichever car we end up with, we would be adding a number of expensive options and it so happens that the X1 and Tiguan would both come to £5k once all options are added to the AP (and allowing for a £500 cashback offer on the Tiguan that we found through this forum). To the X1 we would add Electric Seats with drivers memory (manual leather seats are standard), Technology Pack (Comfort Access, Rear View Camera and Harman Kardon HiFi), Panoramic Sunroof, Driving Assistant, Park Assist with Front Parking Sensors & Sun Protection Glass. To the Tiguan we would add Leather Trim with Electric Drivers Seat and Memory, Keyless Opening & Closing with Fully Automated Tailgate, Park Assist with Rear View Camera, Voice Control & Tyre Pressure Monitoring. As I say, with all options added, that makes them both the same price.

My wife currently has a previous model Tiguan 140PS Match 4Motion DSG Auto (to which we added Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Heated Seats and Tyre Pressure Monitoring) but fancied a change. I am also a big BMW fan, having had lots of them myself from 3 series to 7 series, and I currently own a 520d Luxury Auto, which is the best car I have ever had in 35 years of driving. So we had high hopes with the X1 but were sadly disappointed. It was certainly a big step up from the Kuga in terms of fit, finish and technology, but fell noticeably short of the prestige look and feel that I have in my 5 Series. However, the biggest issues were the lack of room inside (It would be a little too cramped for our needs) and the extremely poor seats. In terms of space and comfort, the Tiguan felt like a class up from the X1. Perhaps it should be called Tardis rather than Tiguan as it is deceptively big on the inside. Conversely, the X1 is smaller on the inside that the exterior would lead you to believe, but I don’t know an equivalent analogy for that (answers on a postcard).

So, in summary, here are the improvements and extra kit that we would benefit from with the Tiguan over the X1;

– Significantly larger cabin (with drivers seat set for me, sitting behind there was less than 1” between my knees and the front seat back in the X1, versus a good 6” in the Tiguan)
    – Larger Boot (folded wheelchair would only fit in the X1 boot with the rear seats moved forward one click, further reducing rear legroom. In the Tiguan, the wheelchair fits with the seats in the rearmost position).
    – Larger and far more comfortable seats. The standard X1 seats were too short, lacking under thigh support and simply did not feel comfortable. The optional Sport Seats are too firm. The Tiguan seats were noticeably larger, offering more under thigh support and were chalk and cheese in terms of overall seat comfort.
    – Memory function on drivers seat (with optional leather electric seats, which we will add) has 3 memory positions (versus 2 on the X1). This is very useful for us as we can have his and hers settings as well as an entry/exit setting to ease access and move clear of the hand control equipment .
    – LED Headlights have Dynamic Function (shades out oncoming traffic and vehicles you are following, sending full beam either side). My BMW 5 Series with Adaptive Xenons has this, but the X1 Adaptive LED Headlights don’t do this for some reason (even the optional High Beam Assist is just On or Off)
    – Electric Lumbar Adjustment On Drivers Seat
    – Auto Hold (standard on other BMW models but not on the X1, even as an option, for some reason). We would really miss this.
    – Adaptive Cruise Control
    – 4Motion Active Control with switchable On Road / Off Road / Off Road Individual / Snow modes
    – Active Info Display (12.3” High Resolution TFT Dashboard Display with customisable menus and information) – this is really cool and looks fabulous, as well as having tons of useful features. By contrast, the X1 has a conventional dash with hideous orange illumination at night.
    – Driver Alert System (tiredness monitoring)
    – Mobility Self Sealing Tyres
    – Foldable Front Passenger Seat Back (useful for long loads)
    – Folding Tables with Cup Holders on front seat backs
    – Active Bonnet with Pedestrian Protection
    – Driver & Front Passenger Knee Airbags
    – Auto Dimming frameless Rear View Mirror
    – Power Folding Door Mirrors with Puddle Lights
    – Ambient Lighting including around the standard Panoramic Sunroof
    – 3 Zone Climate Control (Driver, Front Passenger and Rear passengers)
    – Simultaneous Pairing of 2 Mobile Phones (so you can have work and personal mobiles connected at the same time)
    – Apple Car Play / Car Net Guide & Inform / Media Control (infotainment system controllable via Smartphone or tablet)
    – Better standard fit audio system. I have learned to my cost that the reason that BMW have several upgrade options is because the standard fit stereos are poor. We were going to add the Dynaudio system to the Tiguan but were staggered at how good the standard setup was, so won’t bother. I’m sure that the stats would indicate otherwise, but the standard Tiguan system sounded far better than even the extra cost Harman Kardon system in the BMW.

Finally, the Tiguan has a Diesel engine with 400nm torque, versus the 280nm in the petrol X1 so, in addition to better fuel consumption, will be far more responsive in day to day driving.

We had been disappointed a year ago to see the 25d X1 disappear from the scheme as that engine is a peach, and equally disappointed this year to find that the only X1 now on the scheme in X-Line trim is a petrol, but even if the full range of diesel engines suddenly became available, including the 25d, we would still go for the Tiguan over the X1 for the numerous reasons given above.

We haven’t had test drives yet, and have no doubt that the X1 would probably have a slightly better ride, as the Tiguan SEL unfortunately comes with larger 19” Alloys (we would prefer the perfectly adequate 18” ones on the X1). BMW’s are also fantastic drivers cars, whereas the Tiguan will be a bit less involving, but there’s only so much driving in anger that you can do with hand controls!

I have found this forum to be very useful and I hope that these extensive notes from my detailed investigations will be of interest to some others.

Viewing 7 replies - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #70086 Reply

Tom

Have same dilemma at the moment.

X1 looked small to me and drivers seats looked to small then in other cars and just poor specs. Sat nav not even included… (yes, it is more premium brand) not looking in to BMWs very pricey options. (Q4 2018)

Just leaned more to Kuga Titanium X as it had more Standard options and full leather, electric tail gate and el heated seats.

Not like Tiguan as it would be extra £1,5-2k for leather and ~£400( not sure) for el tailgate and nowhere seen Privacy glass and it is standard on Kuga. El seats only on more pricey seats or Extra again on Tiguan. It looks more pricey options then BMW to me…

Had no chance to see Tiguan life as seen others, only seen it on paper. Next on my to do list.

I see Kuga is older model, but it has much more as standard, only face lift does not impress me too and centre console looks childish and cheap, just in Tiguan for same money would get worse quality materials… opinion could change after seeing it life.

Online reviews (yes, not for wheelchair users, but gives general idea):

Tiguan

Kuga

X1

#70088 Reply

Johnny

I have a Kuga Titanium X at the moment, that didn’t even come with satnav.

I am interested in the ST Line Edition on the scheme but typical Ford they have taken things away, no seat back trays and no electric tailgate. I do like the interior but there are too many similarities between my current car and the newer one’s, it feels a little old fashioned and do I want that for 6 years?

X1 I have been waiting to get a test drive now for over a month, but the car I am interested in just isn’t available.

Tiguan, R Line I drove yesterday it has everything I want, including the 2 things above Ford took away.

It’s stunning on the outside and very nice on the inside, drives well too. I would have liked to have driven the SEL but so far no cars available.

#70089 Reply

Glos Guy

Tom – It was me that started this thread a year ago. Whilst I would still stand by the comments and spec comparisons as they were back then, we are now 6 months into the Tiguan ownership and although my wife (who is the Motability driver) really likes it, I do not. If you search my posts you will be able to read the reasons why.

A couple of things to mention in response to your post though. All BMW’s come with Sat Nav as standard these days (and it’s ten times better than the VW Sat Nav). In fact the days when everything on a BMW was an optional extra are long gone. They are generally pretty well equipped as standard these days.

The Tiguan does indeed feel a lot bigger inside than the X1 and the VW seats are larger and much more comfortable, but I believe that the X1 seats were improved last year (after we had discounted it), so I would check them out in the flesh before discounting yourself. There are some things that you can’t even get as options on the X1 that I would really miss (auto hold & intelligent headlights – unless that’s changed from a year ago) but BMW engines are light years ahead of both VW and Ford and provide far better performance, economy, refinement etc etc.

I quite like the look of the Kuga but it is an ancient car now and a generation or two behind both other cars you are looking at. Ford always seems to be a bit behind other manufacturers in tech and engines, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the all new Kuga, which should be out within the next year or so, will still come 3rd in this company.

Good luck with your search, but do try to drive them all for a decent time. Most of my issues with the Tiguan concern the engine / transmission combination and how complex the technology is to operate compared to the intuitive methods used by BMW.

#70092 Reply

Robert

Not sure if the satnav is better than the VW one glosguy, but i can only compare my STANDARD BMW satnav with my son’s S5Audi, which is way better, even though it’s 5 years older. The professional satnav is a different matter, that really is great and I assume you have it on your 5 series.

As far as options and AP’s the X1 xline is great value, led headlights, leather seats, electric tailgate (STANDARD on all X1’s). Plus you have the power all the time unlike the VW which is hesitant at low revs/speed.

One other thing I loved about my X1 was the boot space under the floor in the spare wheelbay. On long journeys through Europe I could fit a suitcase worth of clothes and more in there.

That reminds of a tip for long journeys…….Many years ago I had a puncture on the way to Wales, to get the spare wheel out I had to empty the boot on the hard shoulder of the M25 on a typically wet summers day. Now when I go on my travels I get the spare wheel out before I go, use the bay as storage and put the spare wheel in the boot beside my wheelchair. So now I don’t have to get everything out if I need to change a wheel at the side of a busy motorway.

#70098 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The vag sat nav is rubbish compared to most others, it doesn’t even show directions on the main screen(ie, the arrows directing you round a roundabout for example) those are all on the mfd between the clocks so you have to look in 2 different places as well as out the car all at the same time, plus I have the speed on my mfd so no directions at all!

As for the contiseal tyres they wear quickly and are like driving with slicks below 3mm + if they get a puncture of any description(nail/screw in) they can not be repaired under any circumstance, they have to be replaced and quick fit will not refit them, they use Michelin Primacy 4’s, it’s basically all they stock, after having 4 of these(2 fronts a time) I decided to buy my own all season tyres front and rear and the difference is night and day!

#70102 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

The vag sat nav is rubbish compared to most others, it doesn’t even show directions on the main screen(ie, the arrows directing you round a roundabout for example) those are all on the mfd between the clocks so you have to look in 2 different places as well as out the car all at the same time, plus I have the speed on my mfd so no directions at all! As for the contiseal tyres they wear quickly and are like driving with slicks below 3mm + if they get a puncture of any description(nail/screw in) they can not be repaired under any circumstance, they have to be replaced and quick fit will not refit them, they use Michelin Primacy 4’s, it’s basically all they stock, after having 4 of these(2 fronts a time) I decided to buy my own all season tyres front and rear and the difference is night and day!

Surely it can’t be as bad as our Ford Kuga Sync 3 satnav, after nearly 2 years it still can’t find my house.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#70108 Reply

Glos Guy

Yes, the Sat Nav on my 5 Series is indeed the Professional system, which is truly superb, but I have driven plenty of BMW cars with the lower level (Business?) sat nav and that’s still ten times better than the VW setup. I would agree that the Audi SatNav is excellent, which makes the rubbish VW system all the more difficult to get your head around.

Viewing 7 replies - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
Reply To: The Great SUV Debate – X1 versus Tiguan versus Kuga

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: