The Great SUV Debate – X1 versus Tiguan versus Kuga

This topic contains 82 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Glos Guy 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #38485 Reply
    Glos Guy

As some on this forum will know, I have been doing the research and groundwork for my wife’s Motability car renewal later this quarter. She wants another automatic SUV (she has to have hand controls) and would prefer 4WD with a 2.0 litre engine. Based upon brand and styling preferences, likes and dislikes etc we had narrowed the shortlist down to 3 cars from the new Q1 list, namely;

BMW X1 2.0 Petrol 4WD X-Line Auto
    VW Tiguan 2.0 190PS Diesel 4Motion SEL DSG Auto
    Ford Kuga 2.0 180PS Diesel 4WD ST Line X Auto

Yesterday we viewed all 3 cars back to back in order to make direct comparisons. The easiest one to dismiss was the Kuga. Whilst the styling of the ST Line versions massively enhance the visual appearance of the car over the very staid and dated looking Titanium X or Vignale versions, the car falls significantly short of the other two in terms of quality and technology. It is, after all, quite an old vehicle now compared to the X1 and Tiguan, which are both all-new models launched within the last 2 years. So we were quickly down to a choice of two.

Whichever car we end up with, we would be adding a number of expensive options and it so happens that the X1 and Tiguan would both come to £5k once all options are added to the AP (and allowing for a £500 cashback offer on the Tiguan that we found through this forum). To the X1 we would add Electric Seats with drivers memory (manual leather seats are standard), Technology Pack (Comfort Access, Rear View Camera and Harman Kardon HiFi), Panoramic Sunroof, Driving Assistant, Park Assist with Front Parking Sensors & Sun Protection Glass. To the Tiguan we would add Leather Trim with Electric Drivers Seat and Memory, Keyless Opening & Closing with Fully Automated Tailgate, Park Assist with Rear View Camera, Voice Control & Tyre Pressure Monitoring. As I say, with all options added, that makes them both the same price.

My wife currently has a previous model Tiguan 140PS Match 4Motion DSG Auto (to which we added Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Heated Seats and Tyre Pressure Monitoring) but fancied a change. I am also a big BMW fan, having had lots of them myself from 3 series to 7 series, and I currently own a 520d Luxury Auto, which is the best car I have ever had in 35 years of driving. So we had high hopes with the X1 but were sadly disappointed. It was certainly a big step up from the Kuga in terms of fit, finish and technology, but fell noticeably short of the prestige look and feel that I have in my 5 Series. However, the biggest issues were the lack of room inside (It would be a little too cramped for our needs) and the extremely poor seats. In terms of space and comfort, the Tiguan felt like a class up from the X1. Perhaps it should be called Tardis rather than Tiguan as it is deceptively big on the inside. Conversely, the X1 is smaller on the inside that the exterior would lead you to believe, but I don’t know an equivalent analogy for that (answers on a postcard).

So, in summary, here are the improvements and extra kit that we would benefit from with the Tiguan over the X1;

– Significantly larger cabin (with drivers seat set for me, sitting behind there was less than 1” between my knees and the front seat back in the X1, versus a good 6” in the Tiguan)
    – Larger Boot (folded wheelchair would only fit in the X1 boot with the rear seats moved forward one click, further reducing rear legroom. In the Tiguan, the wheelchair fits with the seats in the rearmost position).
    – Larger and far more comfortable seats. The standard X1 seats were too short, lacking under thigh support and simply did not feel comfortable. The optional Sport Seats are too firm. The Tiguan seats were noticeably larger, offering more under thigh support and were chalk and cheese in terms of overall seat comfort.
    – Memory function on drivers seat (with optional leather electric seats, which we will add) has 3 memory positions (versus 2 on the X1). This is very useful for us as we can have his and hers settings as well as an entry/exit setting to ease access and move clear of the hand control equipment .
    – LED Headlights have Dynamic Function (shades out oncoming traffic and vehicles you are following, sending full beam either side). My BMW 5 Series with Adaptive Xenons has this, but the X1 Adaptive LED Headlights don’t do this for some reason (even the optional High Beam Assist is just On or Off)
    – Electric Lumbar Adjustment On Drivers Seat
    – Auto Hold (standard on other BMW models but not on the X1, even as an option, for some reason). We would really miss this.
    – Adaptive Cruise Control
    – 4Motion Active Control with switchable On Road / Off Road / Off Road Individual / Snow modes
    – Active Info Display (12.3” High Resolution TFT Dashboard Display with customisable menus and information) – this is really cool and looks fabulous, as well as having tons of useful features. By contrast, the X1 has a conventional dash with hideous orange illumination at night.
    – Driver Alert System (tiredness monitoring)
    – Mobility Self Sealing Tyres
    – Foldable Front Passenger Seat Back (useful for long loads)
    – Folding Tables with Cup Holders on front seat backs
    – Active Bonnet with Pedestrian Protection
    – Driver & Front Passenger Knee Airbags
    – Auto Dimming frameless Rear View Mirror
    – Power Folding Door Mirrors with Puddle Lights
    – Ambient Lighting including around the standard Panoramic Sunroof
    – 3 Zone Climate Control (Driver, Front Passenger and Rear passengers)
    – Simultaneous Pairing of 2 Mobile Phones (so you can have work and personal mobiles connected at the same time)
    – Apple Car Play / Car Net Guide & Inform / Media Control (infotainment system controllable via Smartphone or tablet)
    – Better standard fit audio system. I have learned to my cost that the reason that BMW have several upgrade options is because the standard fit stereos are poor. We were going to add the Dynaudio system to the Tiguan but were staggered at how good the standard setup was, so won’t bother. I’m sure that the stats would indicate otherwise, but the standard Tiguan system sounded far better than even the extra cost Harman Kardon system in the BMW.

Finally, the Tiguan has a Diesel engine with 400nm torque, versus the 280nm in the petrol X1 so, in addition to better fuel consumption, will be far more responsive in day to day driving.

We had been disappointed a year ago to see the 25d X1 disappear from the scheme as that engine is a peach, and equally disappointed this year to find that the only X1 now on the scheme in X-Line trim is a petrol, but even if the full range of diesel engines suddenly became available, including the 25d, we would still go for the Tiguan over the X1 for the numerous reasons given above.

We haven’t had test drives yet, and have no doubt that the X1 would probably have a slightly better ride, as the Tiguan SEL unfortunately comes with larger 19” Alloys (we would prefer the perfectly adequate 18” ones on the X1). BMW’s are also fantastic drivers cars, whereas the Tiguan will be a bit less involving, but there’s only so much driving in anger that you can do with hand controls!

I have found this forum to be very useful and I hope that these extensive notes from my detailed investigations will be of interest to some others.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #38873 Reply
    finsoopescopidweezall

Such a dilemma. Hoping you get right car for you.

#38914 Reply
    Winston

When out driving this afternoon I passed a few Tiguans, normally my eyes would be on the lookout for the R line as it’s very smart, however with the auto not being an option at present on the scheme I’ve been looking out for the SEL trim. As I said i ended up behind a couple in traffic one light blue and one grey ( sorry I’m not aware of the full colour titles as haven’t been looking into them in much depth ) but in my opinion the grey one is a much better match for the SEL as it’s quite close in colour to the plastic trim that comes on the car, and there’s quite a bit of it, I had to do a double take to see if perhaps the owners had changed the colour of the plastic trim but they hadn’t , so the grey body paint compliments the grey plastic trim and again only in my opinion looks a lot nicer than a colour that’s nice up top but then you have the contrast with the plastic trim

just my opinion for all the folks considering the Tiguans ?

#38920 Reply
    Glos Guy

Winston – agree 100% and that’s precisely why we are going for grey as the plastic trim around the bottom cheapens the look (IMO) whereas the grey paint matches it almost exactly and you get the R-Line look of one colour from top to bottom. Funnily enough, a grey one (SEL) came up behind me today, so I slowed to let it past and then drew alongside it at some traffic lights. It does look a very distinguished looking vehicle in that colour. I’m still trying to like the SEL Alloys as I prefer the look of the two tone ones on the SE. It’s a shame that there are no alternative choices other than the 20” upgrades, which do look nicer but I wouldn’t entertain them as they are over £800 extra, plus you have to have sports suspension (which I wouldn’t want) or adaptive suspension (which is unnecessary) taking the combined price up to around £1500. Crazy, especially as they would increase road noise and be a nightmare parking. Given a choice, I would do a no cost downsize to the 18” versions on the SE.

#38937 Reply
    Garys

Re your no cost down grade mention it to the dealer i bet you can get a deal on them as they would be a £2k upgrade to anyone else so i bet you would get £1k worth of extras in return

#38944 Reply
    Winston

Very nice looking car in that grey Glos guy and like you say it’s looks pretty seemless going from the body to the plastic trim

have you’d ordered it yet?

and that’s a good point Gary’s I’m sure your dealer will be able to do something with maybe swapping the alloys over and perhaps giving yous something extra into the bargain, certainly worth a shot ?

#38957 Reply
    John mac

Anyone considered the Hyundai Tucson ?

ive moved over to the vw after reading the forum but still having thoughts on Tucson and whether the Volvo xc40 might join the schemes- although we need an auto

#38960 Reply
    Macca

The Tucson is an excellent motor and was our first choice until Hyundai hit supply problems and so put the Santa Fe on too so as not to lose customers. That was 15 months ago so the supply issues are well sorted and the Santa Fe now off the scheme. Hyundai are playing it cautiously since the scheme changes, i’m keen to see if they loosen up in Q2 and add the 2.0 Premium Auto.

We ran an IX35 for three years prior to the Santa Fe. We had both quality and dealer problems with that car but it was an old design by that point in time. Having gone with a better motor and changed the dealer all is good so far

#38962 Reply
    Stuart Bush

Anyone wanting the 20″ wheels from the R – line should check out ebay. There are dealers selling them on there, one had a set of 4 with tyres and less than 500 miles of use and they were immaculate. He wanted £800 for the set.

#38965 Reply
    Nerhipperton

A test drive aside I am torn between, but edging towards the X1 over the Tiguan. Today I am visiting a retail park with BMW, VW, Mercedes, Audi & Mazda (and others) dealers in a final outing. Like a house, 2nd viewings essential.

#38966 Reply
    JS

I pick my Tucson up Thursday.

With motability raising the AP much to the annoyance to the dealerships it’s not as competitive as it was, the sport was a great deal but 2 dissapeared this quarter. According to my salesman (who has been very accurate so far) all Tucson have been cleared for Motability however he can’t see the 185ps model making it on (partly resale value + being phased out) the premium SE would be a welcomed addition however the AP prices at the moment being set the way they are in some cases we would be paying more in AP than cost of upgrade at retail

unless you looking at towing the 2.0ltr is not worth the difference the 1.7crdi bluedrive is the best in the range.

the Tucson still offers a lot of car for the money it’s just a shame Motability raise the price on popular cars probably to make the sales go down then asks manufacturers for more discounts to put it down again. Good business sense to increase profits but as a charity just how much rainy days funds is needed.

#38967 Reply
    Macca

m i right in thinking that the 1.7 premium does not come with the superb 19″ drug dealer wheels?

#38970 Reply
    JS

the 1.7 premium Auto are 19″  its the manual that has the 17″ both are 19″ on the 2.0ltr

#38971 Reply
    Macca

Belter mate, that will look top drawer for sure. Were you tempted with the Ara Blue?

#38973 Reply
    JS

It does look nice in Ara blue (infact it’s our salesmans screen saver) we went for the white sand partly because we went for beige leather so thought it would be different to most. To be fair hyundai as a rule have great colour choices

#38974 Reply
    Macca

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Yeah totally agree with you there. Our dealer had a premium in the showroom in the charcoal grey but with the beige leather and it looked stunning.</p>

#39008 Reply
    Nerhipperton

I had a second look at the X1 and Tiguan today at a retail park where both dealers were next door.

Firstly a moan at BMW online support who gave me incorrect information about the standard seats in the X1 As I suspected I shall have to go for the sports seats which means a sport trim or an extra £355.50 for sports seats in an X line.

So I have two options, an X1 with folding mirrors and auto dimming mirror as options, total AP (with 105 discount on options) £1687 for the 20d.

Or a Tiguan SEL 190ps for £2249  (assuming a £500 cashback)

X1 has electric tailgate.

Tiguan has Panoramic Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise , Lumbar support and heated seats, front parking sensors, dynamic light assist, lane assist.

The four items highlighted are very desirable, particularly the adaptive cruise and in my view worth the additional £562 premium and slightly worse fuel consumption of the Tiguan.  It is also a bit bigger and more practical.

I shall test drive both cars in late March and make a decision once April’s  price list is out. My thanks to the various contrbutors on this forum whose comments have led me to re-evaluate my options. Crucially both cars meet my 0-62 sub 8 seconds requirement and both are excellent cars.

#39012 Reply
    The little taffia

Even with the sport seats in the X1 is the lumbar still an additional cost? When I was looking in Q2 last year I’m certain it was. As for the driving experience that was a no contest, the X1 wins hands down, the Tiguan, although comfortable and safe, was a numb driving experience with little sparkle. In fairness that same driving comment could be levelled at my then Audi Q3 Quattro. In Q2 last year the lack of autos with four wheel drive was abyssmal.

Out of the two I would pick the Tdi Tiguan over the petrol BMW as torque is king when it comes to four wheel drive and the engine fitted to the Tiguan is excellent with a hefty, although somewhat narrow band, amount of torque for when acceleration is really needed and not just the sprint from the traffic lights.

#39033 Reply
    Glos Guy

Yes, I believe that Lumbar is an option on the X1 regardless of seat choice.

I’m not surprised that you found the X1 a more engaging drive. That’s BMW’s for you – fantastic drivers cars. The superb 20d BMW engine would also be my choice over the 190PS VW one. But in all other areas, including size, packaging and equipment, the Tiguan SEL won hands down for us.

I agree with you that a diesel Tiguan is the better choice over a petrol X1. But having looked at both of them in considerable detail, even if the 25d X-Line X1 was available, let alone the 20d, we would still go for the Tiguan. And I say that as a die hard BMW fan!

#39034 Reply
    Glos Guy

Re the Tucson. We had this on our shortlist in Q4 as there was very little choice of Automatic SUV’s then. Once the full nature of the Q1 changes was revealed, it eliminated itself very quickly. You can now get far better SUV’s for less money.

I think that Hyundai has done a good job with the styling of the Tucson. It’s a nice looking SUV. But the positives really end there. Hyundai is a budget brand, so you don’t get the quality or prestige of, for example, the German makes. They make up for that with a good sprinkling of kit for your money BUT you cannot add options, so if certain features that are essential for you aren’t on the Premium (which several that we would want aren’t) you are stuck, as the Premium SE isn’t yet on the scheme. Also, it’s 2WD and you can now get 4WD elsewhere. If you go for the Premium and want a diesel auto, you are stuck with the 1.7 diesel which is slated by the motoring press.

Even with all of these negatives, it was still on our list, given the appalling choice in Q4. Thank God that Motability has seen the light and we can now choose from larger, better quality, better equipped, bigger engined, more powerful and 4WD SUV’s. The fact that these are now on the scheme and some are cheaper than the Tucson will give Hyundai a problem. They will need the full range of Tucson’s on the scheme (they are all within the discretionary cap) and at much lower AP’s if they are to remain competitive.

#39035 Reply
    Quandrillionbarspectrrmeescoffle

Hyundai and Kia diesel engines are not good, and consume high fuel as well. They very expensive compared with BMW also VW.

#39039 Reply
    JS

i personally ordered at the time the best vehicle available that suited our needs, I’m not interested what badge is on it, I would like a link to where anyone properly slates  the 1.7crdi 141 bluedrive diesel and combined 57.6 (real world 42) I can live with that.As I ordered in early q4 the options were less but even now I wouldn’t consider the X1 I want more than a body and steering wheel as standard, as for the Tiguan with present AP and deals then that would of been hard choice that wasn’t a option q3 when looking  . I did my home work and as anyone that knows I considered a wide range of vehicles, With the increase in AP + the discount I got, I’ve saved hundreds in my choice but more importantly the spec as standard suits our individual needs far more than any vehicle in that price bracket. I personally like the kodiaq and  waited till q4 to see if it was added, as it happens I’m glad I ordered when I did,  the Tucson premium isn’t the best deal the Sport was but the extra the premium offered was beneficial to our needs, the X1 with the added extras needed would be stupid price, the kodiaq for £1700 more than I’m paying is not an option. The Tiguan I never looked into properly as options and deals wasn’t about then . My advise to myself if ordering q1? Limited to Auto would be take a closer look at the VW and re look at the CRV now more choice  But I still think Tucson would win, but then again unless going for a deal my advise would be wait and order q2

#39046 Reply
    Macca

In terms of the 1.7 diesel, this is a carry over from the IX35 which id now quite old, so I think a lot of the moans from the press were based on Hyundai not putting the effort in the develop a new engine for the Tucson. I’ve mentioned on here that we had quality issues with the IX35 that we ran but none of those issues were engine related. The engine ran faultlessly and mpg was fine.

The whole prestige thing always amuses me, I too am not one bit interested in the badge a car sports. Prestige for me sits in the minds of owners and would be owners. We checked out the X1 when we were last in the market for no other reason than it was one possible solution. We thought it was quite cramped, thought the seats were seriously uncomfortable, design was dissapointing and we actually didn’t think it was very well put together, we were as equally unimpressed with the Active Tourer. We also had a look at the Q3, and were much more impressed with the quality but again way too cramped. We test drove the XC60 and thought it had very little going for it. Very uncomfortable seats (as others on here have found) and very non user friendly sat nav amongst other things. All ‘prestige’ brands some would argue. Of course that was just our view and others will have different views dependant upon requirements.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Whenever we are back in the market we will absolutely consider Hyundai again as we are very happy with the current Santa Fe, and our current dealer, but would also consider all other Auto SUV options, leaning towards 4wd as we certainly needed it when we found ourselves in a white out in wales recently. Ultimately though our drivers will be size, ride height, comfort, features requirements, and AP irrespective of which manufacturer is offering that.</p>
    As for the Tucson, i don’t think you’ll be disappointed with it at all.

#39064 Reply
    Nerhipperton

Many years ago I had a Peugeot 406, its handling was considered, by many, only second to a BMW and it was a very good and engaging car to drive. I changed it for a brand new Nissan Almera Tino , the first new car I had owned. Whilst it was a more practical car it was never good to drive and proved functional, rather than fun. We all drive different cars for different reasons and I place a “good” driving experience at the top along with strong performance and certain items of equipment.

I have driven three Mercedes B class, two as test drives and one as a courtesy and find them numb and boring. Like all things it’s horses for courses. Buying privately, the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty is certainly very attractive.

#39065 Reply
    Nerhipperton

The 5 year warranty of a Hyundai.

#39067 Reply
    Macca

Its a shame the Santa Fe was only a passing visitor to the scheme, as whilst like any car it won’t be to eveyone’s taste, we’ve found it to be a cracking package. From memory its only been on fleetingly in 2009 and 2016. Given that we’ve become very used to that size of vehicle then we’ll no doubt have a look at the Kodiaq later down the line. Hopefully by then the pricing will have calmed down and the spec availability will have improved.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
Reply To: The Great SUV Debate – X1 versus Tiguan versus Kuga

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: