The differences between 17, 18 and 19 inch tyres tested and explained

• Creator
    Topic
  • #49305 Reply
    Brydo

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #49306 Reply
    Anonymous

Hi Brydo

About 2 inches difference between 17inch and 19 inch, well it was when I was at school some 50 years ago!! lol

lightbodyae55

#49308 Reply
    Brydo

Your right LB but its strange how something’s change in relation to maths for example what is the answer to 2+3×4 in my youth I would have simply added 2+3=5×4=20 but that is not correct, put it in your calculator and the answer is 14, according to how things are done now, it is called BIDMAS, there is an order in how you work out what we in the west of Scotland would call sums.

BIDMAS or BODMAS says the order in which a sum should be evaluated is by first calculating what’s in the “B” bracket, if there are brackets in the equation, then I indices then D division, M for multiplication then A for addition then S for subtraction, simples lol

#49314 Reply
    Trev

watched it, none the wiser, and my head hurts! lol

#49646 Reply
    BigB

I watched the video and it was a very unscientific approach, nothing was measured apart from noise and even that was not properly evaluated. The one point that I am in total agreement with is different manufacturer’s tyres have the greatest effect on how a car drives. I had a Seat Toledo GTI fitted with Michelin tyres and even in good weather conditions and at relatively low speeds the understeer was extreme, switching to a set of Dunlops was a huge leap forward making the car far grippier and vastly improved the cornering. On another car a Mitsubushi Colt Mirage turbo I found I was stripping the outer tread off the fitted Dunlops. I suspected the alignment or tracking might be at fault so got it all checked out and fitted a new set of Dunlops to the front, once again outer tread stripped after about 5k. Changed over to Vredstein and tyres were still like new after 10k when I sold the car.

A chap I worked with had at one time worked with a tyre manufacturer who produced tyres under two well know brand names plus several so called budget brands, he always maintained the materials and structure of all the tyres produced in the plant were identical as the only thing that was changed during the manufacturing process was the final moulds. The chap drove a Ford Granada on the so called budget tyres and I have to say performance and wear and tear appeared to be on par with so called premium tyres. I have never ventured down this route myself as I always maintain good tyres and brakes are the two most important safety items on a car.

#49649 Reply
    Meowsters
    Participant

Thank you for that video now I just need to get a Golf Gti with 18″ wheels.

#49655 Reply
    Kevin

Quite simple really,aspect ratio of wheel to road needs to be the same,so the speedo does not give a false readout,so bigger the wheel less rubber and air between tarmac .

Larger the wheel,harder and more solid ride,smaller wheel for more comfort .

#49656 Reply
    Glos Guy

Over the years I have had cars with wheels and tyres ranging from 14” to 20” and every single size in between. I find that the best size for balance between good looks and practicality is 17 or 18 inches. Below 17” the wheels can look a bit puny on a car and spoil the looks (unless a small hatchback) whereas over 18” are very easy to kerb and rarely remain looking tidy as a result. Unfortunately, the Tiguan SEL we have ordered comes with 19” Alloys as standard. Had there been a no cost option to downsize to 18” I would have been tempted to do so.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: The differences between 17, 18 and 19 inch tyres tested and explained
Your information: