The curse of buyers remorse

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Darlochap 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #75449 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

Having serious buyers remorse and haven’t even got the car yet,  dont get me wrong I think any person would be lucky to have a new bmw 120 msport however

ive driven a 1 series for ten years and last month signed up for another one, the above car , added £1000 of options and gave a £500 deposit however build isn’t due to start until end of may and delivery middle of June.

i now see the A class 220d amg on the list which wasn’t there at time of signing only the 200 which I dismissed for been too slow.

im now having serious buyers remorse because I’m buying the last of the rear wheel 1 series a car that’s starting to look very dated interior wise (with the brand new 1 series launched at the end of this year) and keep looking at the ultra modern A class brochure with covetous eyes the fact that it’s also a diesel giving that extra mpg is also a kicker.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #75451 Reply

Philjb

If the build doesn’t start till end of may ask if you can cancel and get your deposit back.

They can only say no.

Whichever car you get will be a great car, the Merc though is an unknown quantity fault wise with all that tech?

Plus I think the interior is a bit marmite myself.

#75455 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Mike go for it if its what you want, having a car you’re not sure you wanted for three years plus is a long time. Obviously if BMW will not return your deposit then that could change things. I would get a test drive in the merc ASAP to see if it suits but looks wise the the merc wins hands down IMO.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#75458 Reply

Persuader

Mike always follow your heart. However a rear wheel drive sporty petrol hatch is very different to a tech orientated diesel hatch. Its not like they are similar. Brydo is right. Test drive the Merc first. Reviews are not great regarding the drive but they rave about the interior.

It all depends on your priorities. As I said, follow your heart.

#75463 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

Thanks for the supportive replies, I’m going to go have a look at it tomorrow or Friday.  Some good points raised, I remember going to test drive a 180bhp focus st3 thinking it would be awesome but remember thinking it didn’t drive as well as the 1 series I had then.  I guess the 1 series is like an old trainer for me now, it’s easy to drive and what I know.  But I shall go check out the A class to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else

#75465 Reply

POPS

Mikey, if it’s any help I think the BMW 120d M sport is a much better all round vehicle than the equivalent Merc.

I’ve got an X1 and it’s simply the best. My mate has the car you have ordered and he loves it.

#75474 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Had a merc GLA 200d For 3 days last week and although it drove nice enough is seemed hesitant on acceleration and was super complicated to figure out all the tech plus it had absolutely no rear cabin space and the smallest boot ever and this is supposed to be bigger than the standard A class, oh and why would you put indicators/lights and front/rear wipers on one stalk, baffling?

#75478 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

Had a merc GLA 200d For 3 days last week and although it drove nice enough is seemed hesitant on acceleration and was super complicated to figure out all the tech plus it had absolutely no rear cabin space and the smallest boot ever and this is supposed to be bigger than the standard A class, oh and why would you put indicators/lights and front/rear wipers on one stalk, baffling?

my step dad had a gla as a courtesy car and I couldn’t get in it, not enough room to swing my legs in even with the seat right back.

just been playing on the A class configurator and geez the colour options are painfully drab, 4 shades of grey, red and black is about it

#75481 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Mikey I’ll bet your sorry you asked now lol

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#75483 Reply

James

The new a class is loads better than the old one, we test drove the old one and didn’t even consider it again but the new one is loads better and the amg executive is good. I’d suggest you test drive it, my partners had one for seven months now and loves it

#75485 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

Mikey I’ll bet your sorry you asked now lol

haha no it’s interesting to hear people’s opinions

this is what’s currently on order, same wheels, same windows, same colourThis is what’s on order, currently

#75505 Reply

Philjb

Nicer then the merc and handles well, the only thing my crumbling body would feel like I’d been on a wrack if I had to drive it for long.

But when I was younger I’d have had that or a 3 series.

#75513 Reply

Rico

If the one series was big enough I would be straight back in one again, if you like the smile the 9ne puts on your face the merc will not do the same.

#75521 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

I am not sure if you know motability told me you should not have to pay any deposit on ordering your car although i have been asked for by a dealer in the past and also if you are not sure of the car ordered motability told me you can even cancel before inputing the pin number so right up to the last week of delivery you are able to cancel your order.I know the dealer would be left with a car but they will sell it or put it in there showroom if it has extras on it.

#75529 Reply

POPS

That’s an eye catching colour and wheels combination Mikey. The black accents make the body colour really stand out. Nice one!

#75531 Reply

Mike

Looks lovely I like the burnt orange colour

#75532 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

I am not sure if you know motability told me you should not have to pay any deposit on ordering your car although i have been asked for by a dealer in the past and also if you are not sure of the car ordered motability told me you can even cancel before inputing the pin number so right up to the last week of delivery you are able to cancel your order.I know the dealer would be left with a car but they will sell it or put it in there showroom if it has extras on it.

interesting, I think the deposit was for the optional extras I added

#75533 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

Well I’ve been to have a quick look at the A class. The problem with visiting a merc or bmw dealerships is having to deal with the “beautiful people” that work there. Just been accosted by a goddess in a pencil skirt half my age. “gibber no I don’t want a cup of coffee gibber” I’d be much more at home dealing with the facially impaired that tend to haunt vauxhall dealerships

anyway got to admit the A class is nice, looks nicer from the front than I expected and the interior is impressive tho the amount of controls on the steering wheel seems slightly ridiculous.  I liked the plush material on the door arm rests and the led lighting inside certainly has a wow factor, not so keen on the two step dash and the width of the door sill to step over which is a real gripe of mine in cars.

Id say on balance it does everything that the bmw does but in a slightly nicer packaging on the face of it, what it drives like I don’t know, also haven’t seen it with the standard 6inch displays inside only the £2300 upgraded 10inch screens which I wouldn’t be paying for, I did see a review on YouTube that basically said the standard option screens are somewhat sucky .

my gut is currently saying stick with what u know, the wow factor would fade in time and once you’ve got all the tinkering with the screens done you probably will only change them once in a blue moon

#75534 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

That’s an eye catching colour and wheels combination Mikey. The black accents make the body colour really stand out. Nice one!

cheers, the only difference I think with that picture and what I’ve ordered is the black trim on the grill I think it will be chrome on mine but if it irks me I’d consider having it changed at a later date but I’d probably get used to it.

#75535 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

Looks lovely I like the burnt orange colour

from canvassing my friends the colour is a bit marmite but I really like it, don’t see many of them

#75536 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

I never paid any deposit even for op extras.

#75541 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Best colour bmw have ever put on a car.

#75548 Reply

SaintsMan

Without a doubt vinalspin.

But

You should only have that colour if you have owned a white one.

#75571 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Don’t need to bother owning one, just drive around town for a few hours and a white bmw will inevitably attach itself to your back bumper as it literally tried to occupy the same space you’re in!

#75598 Reply

Darlochap
    Participant

Well I went for a test drive in the A class today, lucky enough to test drive the exact model I was looking at the 220d amg line and I must admit it is quite nice, the ride is certainly more forgiving over the bumps and potholes than my 1 series, I felt the throttle response on the bmw is quicker despite same power .

i find the gear selected D P R on the right “indicator” stalk a bit strange and the fact you can’t chuck it into sport mode without pressing a fiddly rocker switch but you can drop a gear at any time using the flappy paddles which gives a boost obviously.

all in all I’m canny tempted, even with the fact it will look a bit poorer with the two small screens and no cool ambilighting.

The colour palette for the car is frankly the worst I’ve ever seen, I think it would have to be red

#75599 Reply

James

<p style=”text-align: left;”>i thought you could get the executive pack, my partners got the 200 with the pack and to be honest I wouldn’t bother without the upgraded screen. Is it an expensive extra?</p>

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Reply To: The curse of buyers remorse

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: