The book club

• Creator
    Topic
  • #138834 Reply
    Brydo

I must admit I am not a big reader of books but it’s clear that some on the forum are.

I could of course be tempted and no better time than now when we have very little to do.

So I thought it would be interesting to hear from members their recommendations.

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 265 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #148054 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Things do change a bit though. Mr Kitchen got Foyle in which he was stunning. Toby Jones had leads in Detectorists, the Dads’ Army film and others. And who can ignore Annette Badland as the pathologist in Midsomer; it might not be a lead role but the stories really come alive when Fleur (another biker bird and rock ‘n’ roller) comes on the scene. Still in Midsomer, Neil Dudgeon was also in the “character actor” box until he got the lead in the Cotswold Murder Fests. Damn good he is too – natural witty comic timing.

My theory is that UK tv producers have been influenced by the Euro stuff we get from More 4 and BBC4. Montalbano in particular goes out of its way to cast proper, real people; even if they are gnarled and wrinkly. They want to tell a story not just give jobs to their pretty mates.

#148268 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Just finished Fool Moon from Dresden Files. Most enjoyable. Even if some of the characters are a bit formularised – I suppose they have to be otherwise his publisher won’t take them (?). Nevertheless, he works the changes on the formulae, not least with his understanding of the character of canines. Bet he’s a dog-owner.

Have started an Amazon Kindle freebie called The Adventures of Edward Brett. Vol 1 by Matthew Fraser. Said to be a bit Dr Who-ish, no bad thing. Starts well, will add further comments when I get more into it.

#148341 Reply
    Georgie

Ah, Midsomer.  Happy days . . .  One of my best friends lived in Wallingford (‘Causton’), and our Venture Scout Troop was based there, too, so I ended up spending a lot of time in and around the Market Place and, umm, the pubs – of which there were many, most of which are gone now, alas.  The Norman Knight (aka The Tin Man – now houses) was the nearest, and the Cross Keys is still there – but a short ride/drive out to Ipsden provided our true second home – the King William IV  (the King Bill) – a proper country pub with horrific weaponry/farming implements behind the bar, tankards and knobbly pint glasses, no piped muzac, no games machines, and the only food was crisps (ready salted, salt and vinegar, or cheese and onion only).  Now it’s all been cleaned out and ponced up, frequented by ‘cyclists’, serves fancy food and has no character what so ever.

#148345 Reply
    Georgie

Finished Comedy of Terrors this morning.  Next stop will probably be Camera Obscura, though I am thinking of thinking of Shogun.

I’ll have to wait and see what I fancy when the time comes.

#148384 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I’ll bet the King Bill’s plain crisps came with the little blue one for salt? And, talking of cyclists, there is much blather in press about motorists taking extra care to avoid killing the blighters. What about stopping the bluddy cyclists running over pedestrians? A couple of days ago, Mrs T had to jump out of the way after nearly being run down by a couple of 5oish posh birds on bikes riding wrong way up one-way country lane, blind corner, no pavements. On asking “Do you know this is a one-way street?” she was answered with “Oh yes of course. Haw haw haw”. Well, if we can’t be allowed to kill them, what about just a bit of maiming then?

#148390 Reply
    Georgie

Catch ’em with the side door, I say.  I don’t mind People just riding bicycles to get from A to B – it’s the Lycra-clad, self-righteous, Saving the Planet, Doing it for my health ‘Cyclists’ that need a good culling.  And bicycles should simply be banned from the A24 and A25 within 10 miles of Box Hill.  They swarm along that stretch and make the roads impossible for everyone else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-23224320

#148392 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

The used to be allowed to go full-on racing on the A21 on Sunday mornings, rozzers in attendance. Had to do an emergency-stop in middle of roundabout once because daredevel racerist pushbiker came straight on, knowing he was causing immense hazard. Rozzers just looked on. Luckily the bloke behind me was watching and managed to stop as well.

Couldn’t we be allowed to cull just once a week?

#148407 Reply
    Georgie

The Sunday Purge. 🙂

#148409 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

There was a book, by Moorcock I think, in which road users became part of a culling operation in which all the tunnels under the Thames were instantly and randomly closed north and south and anyone therein slaughtered. Now that’s not really specific enough for us. Am sure that software in traffic cam’s could ID cyclists. How about putting them on traffic lights and one-way streets and linking to remote 50 cal mini guns. Break the rules and… well, you get the idea.

#148492 Reply
    Georgie

Tiny, teeny remote-controlled drones loaded with tiny, teeny Hellfire missiles that target-lock onto the front wheel of bikes.  We can dream . . . 

Meanwhile, in Other News . . .

The guitar arrived yesterday!  Sooo much easier to play than the old Rockwood and about a third lighter due to it having a poplar body rather than a denser, alder body.  Have now mastered D, A and E major chords and am working on Bad Moon Rising and For What It’s Worth, plus the riff from Peter Gunn.  Very simplified versions, of course, and it’s just strumming, but it teaches rhythm, ‘quick’ chord changes and a bit of ‘picking’.

It’s a laugh. 😀

#148511 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Congratulations. No longer axe-girl-in-waiting! If not gently weeping then I’m sure a little sniffle is in order! Enjoy! 🎸😎

#148540 Reply
    Georgie

Ha!  My best friend’s second husband was Japanese (and still is) and he used to play that song a lot – While my guitar gentry reeps.  

I’m sorry, I should tease (though we did), and his English is way better than my Japanese (Pretentious?  Watashi?), but it was a wonderful flash-back.

Anyway, I thought you’d like to know.  Now I’ll stop banging on about it, I promise. 😉

#148541 Reply
    Georgie

should/shouldn’t!

#153166 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Anyway, back at the bookshelf, have just finished The Adventures of Edward Brett Volume 1 by Matthew Fraser. Hmmm. Not a sparkling read by any stretch; wouldn’t recommend it. Best described as Dr Who lookalike  does the supernatural. No sign of Volume 2 yet…

Dunno what to read next. Back to the medieval with Cadfael or go for the next Dresden File?

#153256 Reply
    Georgie

Cold, wet and windy weather certainly suggests Chicago  and Dresden . . .  🙂

#153257 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. Certainly feels like that. Just checked weather radar to decide whether Mrs T can take Tilly for walk. Radar says clear, bright with no rain for an hour. Reality says it is tipping it down with elements of hail. Ain’t technology wunnerful?!

#153369 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Just found Rumer signing to Mr Holland’s band, doing “Accentuate the Positive. “I SAY! She really does have a remarkable voice, especially listening on earbuds. Very tactile!

#153849 Reply
    Georgie

I thought so. 🙂  It was on his Hootananny that I first saw/heard her.  We always watch Hootananny on New Years Eve – always something different.  And Paloma Faith!  She always looks a bit ‘The lights are on but nobody’s home’, but by god that girl can belt them out.  The first time I really saw/heard Ceelo Green (aka Gnarls Barkley) was on Hootananny, too.  Love his Crazy video.  And as for (ahem) Forget Her in the original . . .

Books – I’m still working through Camera Obscura.  I enjoyed Bookman, but I think this one’s a bit better written.

#154126 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Mr Holland certainly does find some original and very good acts. Watched a Hootananny once, most enjoyable. Will certainly seek out more of Ms Rumer. Have I mentioned a Guatemalan singer name of Gaby Moreno? Her material is very different to above, but the voice is just so expressive and she uses it wonderfully; never going over thetop. When she does put in a sexy, growly note, you go “Oooh!” If you want to sample, I suggest the album Postales which is all in Spanish – much better than English stuff. Sorry if I’ve already said all this; having a bad/frantic time at moment; I’ve got to go see a neurologist (privately, NHS waiting time 9 months) and Mrs T has finally got CT scan results and will have to go back for an MRI to investigate “a thing”. Worrying, but at least she has made them do something, rather than just pouring on the platitudes and hoping she’ll go away. Also having to replace Mini and am hunting around for decent alternative. Just too damn rigid suspension – back cannot take it any more. Looking at Golf GTD or T-ROC.

Finally took the easy route with reading and got the next Dresden File. Love the chap with the sword, only just started it and will not be surprised to discover that he’s a Knights’ Templar or similar.

#154192 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Oh, I say! I am rather taken with Harry’s Godmother. He should be nicer to her… and her little puppies!

#154224 Reply
    Georgie

The stories do evolve as you get to know Harry and his ‘family’ and friends better. 🙂

Sorry to read you’re all at sixes and sevens at the moment.  Just remember to take a slow, deep breath or three from time to time – I find it helps calm the brain down from that horrible ‘panicky’ feeling when unspoken fears start to blow up out of all proportion (something I am prone to, alas).  Good Luck the the Neurologist {{{Tharg}}} and let us also hope that whatever it is, the ‘thing’ isn’t too troublesome.  {{{Mrs. T.}}}

Regarding cars – I can vouch for my Golf GT for comfort, at least.  Firm, but not hard, and certainly not spongy.  I wouldn’t last long with an overly firm suspension, either.  You’ve got a Cooper at the moment, yes?  Probably no good for me if it’s no longer any good for you, but I am hoping the Countryman might suit me come renewal time – officially next February, but I’ll have less than 12 months on my PIP by then, thanks to the nine month ‘Covid’ extension.  I had hoped the have PIP done and dusted by the end of this year.  Oh well.

The Dude abides . . .

#154229 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, Georgie. Your encouragement greatly appreciated.  My Mini is the Cooper S two-door hatch. Love it to bits; most enjoyable car ever (after my 200SX). Does anything you ask of it and is ridiculously prompt. Sadly, suspension is similarly ridiculous in its hardness. Added the adjustable damper thing to help it, but it is effectively useless. If you DO choose a Mini then make sure they give you exactly the same model for a test. I had a four-door hatch for the test on the assurance the suspension was the same. He lied! Two-door much firmer.

Think I am coming round to the T-ROC as choice. It is effectively a Golf wearing a big frock. Advantage over “ordinary” Golf is a 2.oL  engine giving 190bhp (not available on standard Golf) and 4×4, giving ability not to scramble for grip in corners. May also allow drifting, er, sometimes. I love the looks of the GTD but it’s nearly double the AP and the wait-time is 6 months minimum (T-ROC is 12 weeks).

#154262 Reply
    Georgie

I’ll keep that in mind, Tharg.  Sales people speak with fork tongue at the best of times, but while there is a supply shortage . . .

“No, madam, it’s definitely the car you ordered.”

“But – it’s a goat.  Look!  It’s eating the brochure.  And the floor mats.”

Putting on my Genius Hat – you’re talking about getting the T-Roc automatic, yes?  The SEL or the R-Line?  Go on, be a devil – get an R-line. >:-)

#154275 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Actually, VW salesbods used to be the worst. “Ah, you’ll wanting wheels with that? That’s an extra £500. And seats? Pushing the boat out, mate… £700!” Thankfully, both the GTD and T-ROC seem to come with important things included for once. Don’t-bash-stuff beepers, selectable drive mode etc. Only ridiculous extra is lumber-support to front seats. Bloody vital for both of us; still fairly cheap, under £100 I think but still!

Would love the R-Line only thing holding me back is the extra grand it costs for a lot of stuff I wouldn’t use and also do not want. Lowered sports suspension and fat-arse macho wheels will rattle the vertebrae something terrible. Will, therefore, probably go for the SEL, adding the adjustable dampers to make sure we don’t get battered.

I wanted  16″ wheels with fat profile rubber to soak up bumps on the Mini. Not an option on mine. All Minis, I have heard, ride much better on smaller diameter rims. The big wide things may look good but they will rattle yer brains out.

#154322 Reply
    Georgie

The painted on tyres on decent level cars is getting to be a real problem for those of us with temperamental spines.

My 2 x Astra GTC’s had 17″ wheels and the current Golf has 18″, but all 3 of DH’s Audi TT’s (3 x 4 yr leases) had 19″ and even with the ‘magnetic ride’ adaptive suspension (I love adaptive suspension) on the last two the ride, for me, was that wee bit too firm towards the end.

I’m rather charmed with the Ford Puma Vignale (in Desert Island Blue) at the moment, not for the fancy seats and the extra ‘sporty’ aspects or even the massaging heated seats and the heated steering wheel, but because it’s the ONLY ONE that comes with a front parking sensor.  It’s insane.  Not bashing the bottom of the bumper on a kerb when having to park nose-in outside the pharmacy might just be a ‘girl thing’, but how much extra does it cost to add a front parking sensor, for flip’s sake?!  It actually works out cheaper AP-wise to get the Vignale than to pay for the relevant Option on the ST-X.  18″ wheels should be safe, but I won’t know for sure until a test Drive and I still have to survive a PIP reassessment before that can happen and I’m still waiting for the Spine Consultant to get back to me for an initial consultation.

Which neatly leads me on to – How long do you have to wait to see your Neurologist?  And – How is Mrs T?

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 265 total)
Reply To: Reply #147414 in The book club
Your information: