The Best Electric Vehicles For UK Taxi Drivers

• Creator
    Topic
  • #129849 Reply
    Brydo

Uswitch decided to look into this topic, analysing cars across a set criteria to get results on which cars are the best for PHV drivers. Uswitch analysed 23 of the most commonly used PHVs and ranked them against factors such as fuel economy, base model price, vehicle tax and more to get their answers.

In 2020, electric vehicles are growing in popularity amongst drivers. Once thought of as smaller, more expensive vehicles, these cars have improved greatly in terms of accessibility and performance. Now, electric vehicles are taking over the private hire vehicle (PHV) business.

With the PHV industry growing thanks to the likes of Uber and an uncertain job market, self-employed drivers need to ensure that their vehicle of choice is the best option for the job. In today’s world, there are many things to consider when choosing a car, especially when considering the needs of passengers.

Uswitch decided to look into this topic, analysing cars across a set criteria to get results on which cars are the best for PHV drivers. Uswitch analysed 23 of the most commonly used PHVs and ranked them against factors such as fuel economy, base model price, vehicle tax and more to get their answers.

The 5th best ranked vehicle in this study was the Hyundai Ioniq, a 2020 hybrid model. In Uswitch’s analysis of the best electric/hybrid models, this model ranked only behind the Nissan Leaf and the Kia Soul, which of course topped all other cars in the analysis. So although hybrid drivers have not made the full jump to fully electric, they are certainly on their way and in doing so reducing their carbon footprint.

New or old drivers will have to consider making the switch to a more environmentally minded vehicle at some point in the near future. Now, it seems that electric and hybrid models are on their way to becoming the dominant type of vehicle on the roads. Although there are 9 traditionally fuelled vehicles featured in the study, the pendulum is shifting towards electric.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #129894 Reply
    Rhodgie
    Participant

The new MG5 will feature highly on that list I reckon…. an estate with a 200 mile range for a bargain basement price seems perfect for taxi drivers 🤔

#129898 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

The new MG5 will feature highly on that list I reckon…. an estate with a 200 mile range for a bargain basement price seems perfect for taxi drivers 🤔

Depends if you take into account depreciation costs – the MG5 will depreciate a lot more heavily that some of the better known cars, especially something like the Toyota’s which are usually very reliable even with a lot of miles on so command better prices when used.

#129917 Reply
    Rhodgie
    Participant

alan1302 I agree about residual values and that is why some taxi drivers use a Mercedes E class but the majority use the Skoda because it is cheaper to start with, plus the running costs of any EV will give it the advantage over a hybrid Toyota and outweigh the difference in used values.

#129922 Reply
    rox
    Participant

When i was an executive car driver, quite a while ago now. I would do a 12 hour nightshift and never got out of the car until between 3am and 5am job after job after job and then at 7.30am when you meant to finish at 8am, you’d get the call go to euston station or kings x and pickup mr a,b or c and they’d never tell you to where? It would be a train driver and it could be norwich or preston or even glasgow, so how a bev will work i do not know. This is why alot like a hybrid, deffo is more practical

#129925 Reply
    Brydo

As time goes by range and charging will become less of an issue, as I’ve said previously if you compare battery technology to a human lifespan battery technology is still in the womb.

BMW reckon they will be producing BEVs with over 500 miles range in a year or two they are also at the forefront of wireless charging which is ideal for taxis sitting at the rank.

Of course the elephant in the room is with autonomous driving around the corner there won’t be any taxi drivers.

#129930 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

A true story from February (before lock-down):

BigDave arrives by train at London Kings Cross having travelled down from Yorkshire on a dark cold February morning.

Assisted by pre-booked station staff to carry bag, hobbles to queue at taxi rank. Eventually gets to front of queue and gets into next arriving cab (taxis were dropping off then coming straight onto rank as there was a large queue of people waiting during rush hour).

‘Where to?’ says driver

‘Heathrow Terminal 5 please’ says BigDave

‘Sorry mate, haven’t got enough charge to get there – only got 15 miles charge left’

Only then did I realise it was one of London’s ‘e-taxis’ (we don’t have them up in Yorkshire).

Had to get the driver to help unload bag, then he had to find someone in the queue who was only going a few miles.

Next taxi arrives – same problem, not enough charge to get to Heathrow.

I had to wait until a diesel taxi arrived.

Conclusion: I will use Uber next time!

#129933 Reply
    Brydo

Bit of a nightmare Dave.

#129934 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I’d not be sitting at a taxi rank, I’d be picking up bbc staff and staff from the daily mail and city offices etc. non stop. Once i got to pickup from inside the tv centre for sports personality of the year. Some young upcoming footballer.. I was making around 3k a week then after deducting fuel and expenses. My point is ev’s are a restriction, which ever way you look at it. Next they will want to re-invent the wheel..

There already people living in fuel poverty and it will only get worse as this technology revolution happens r&r cost £££ and is not free and each car maker must do there own system. like with the 1d3 sofware issues they are not allowed to get together with bmw and make one operating system..

#129940 Reply
    Rhodgie
    Participant

BigDave, all those taxis are hybrids with a petrol engine to charge the battery, like the i3.

The line about only having 15 miles range left is crap, they were designed and built with just that sort of scenario in mind…. more than likely they didn’t want to take you and that was the excuse

#129943 Reply
    rox
    Participant

London taxis or black cabs as they called pickup from london stations. also If the yellow TAXI sign at the front is illuminated, the cab is available for hire. Black cabs are legally obliged to take on any job for journeys up to 12 miles (20 miles for cabs at the Heathrow Airport taxi ranks), or up to one-hour duration.

#129946 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

They probably diddn’t want to go onto ice power and rather than come ‘off the road’ to recharge the batteries (which apparently they can do free for free at some ranks) didn’t want to take me all the way out to Heathrow.

It seemed a convenient excuse though and gullible me fell for it!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: The Best Electric Vehicles For UK Taxi Drivers
Your information: