The "B" word has been agreed (Part 3)

This topic contains 154 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar fwipperie 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #79481 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

The previous B thread creaked under the pressure, please use this one going forward.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #82319 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

There’s always talk.  An opposition motion has to be accepted by the speaker, then debated, then won.  How many remainer Tory MPs would want to be out of a job? How many labour MPs in pro Brexit constituencies would want to be out of a job?. How many MPs would risk a Farage government? There’s always talk…

#82336 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Well folks, after the leaders debate last evening, the general consensus is that Boris has ‘nailed it’ – like him or not, he is now well on the way to becoming PM, and is virtually unstoppable?

He is not perfect by any means ( how many of us are ) but he is infinitely preferable to Corbyn and gang, and with Hunt as PM , a General Election would see him replaced by Corbyn ,whereas Boris is likely to defeat Corbyn by a country mile?

#82338 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Interesting that in the debate, Hunt’s attack on Johnson’s “personal ambition” rather threatens his own ambition to be a minister in Johnson’s cabinet.

#82340 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Can’t see Boris falling over himself to appoint Hunt to the Cabinet, but he may be forced to for harmony?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar Mike 700.
    #82354 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Well folks, after the leaders debate last evening, the general consensus is that Boris has ‘nailed it’ – like him or not, he is now well on the way to becoming PM, and is virtually unstoppable? He is not perfect by any means ( how many of us are ) but he is infinitely preferable to Corbyn and gang, and with Hunt as PM , a General Election would see him replaced by Corbyn ,whereas Boris is likely to defeat Corbyn by a country mile?

So it begins. The Lunatic runs the asylum. Simply replacing one PM with an other will not sort out the Tory party. I fear for our future under the Tories. More cuts to the welfare state. More privation of the NHS. The trade deal with the USA under Boris, who would sell his own granny.  So Yes I am fearful of what is to come under a Boris Tory Government.

Could you tell me why I should not be fearful ?

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#82355 Reply
    POPS

Hunt isn’t daft, becoming BoJo’s trusty lieutenant would be a short term gig which would damage his ambitions, so why not have a right go at him.

Boris the buffoon will be a temporary PM strutting and prancing on a comedic stage, before the curtain falls on a shambolic few months.

Someone else will have to pick up the pieces. Hunt thinks it might be him.

#82368 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

#82390 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

I have a feeling we shall see parliament suspended following the summer recess to secure WTO deal. I think Corbyn’s finished but when he gets ousted Labour stand to lose millions of voters.

On a side note, New Zealand await either the Aussies or us in the final.

#82766 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

Odds  of a clean WTO deal have shortened. Possible suspension of parliament.  The twists and turns will hit us shortly one by one.

#82890 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

Final hustings event over. bated breath now being held as voting takes place. odds of general election sooner have increased.

#82912 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Final hustings event over. bated breath now being held as voting takes place. odds of general election sooner have increased.

I would tend to agree with you on odds of GE sooner have increased.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#83362 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

Johnson as PM. Brexit now just over 3 months away.

#83592 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

98 days to go….  By law, we leave the EU on the 31st October. Only further legislation can change that. The government is not going to introduce any new laws before then to prevent any hijacking.  Seems straightforward…

#83601 Reply
    POPS

No deal will set back our economy enormously. The consequences will be painful for the UK for the next decade or more.

#83602 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

That’s an opinion, POPS.

Many experts think it’s a valid opinion, many experts don’t.  Many experts believe the EU is heading for self-destruction, many experts disagree.

Ultimately no-one knows.

#83604 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

How do you know that pops ?

I like Magnums....

#83693 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

I think we shall see a deal with the EU moving significantly.  Not only do they want the £39b, they need it with the Eurozone in crisis. The scare stories we hear about no deal are the same ones  we heard when we didn’t join the Euro.

#83697 Reply
    POPS

We trade tariff free with our major market the EU and that will end with a “no deal”. We don’t have a hope of negotiating a preferential deal with them.

Our ports of entry are not fit for purpose and cannot deal with the customs and duty checks that will be needed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There will be huge parking lots of containers filled with spoiling goods.

Trump will use us as a dumping ground for sub standard food exports and goods.

Multi national corporations currently based in the UK will have to set up elsewhere within the EU, and the UK will become increasingly vunerable.

I could go on ….

As Wigwam says this is just my opinion, but it’s based on a lengthy career in logistics management including shifting goods both in and out of the UK.

#83718 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

The prophets of doom, will fight until the bitter end, and the longer it goes on the more bitter they become, and are warning that a “no-deal” Brexit on World Trade Organization terms would entail “substantial costs” for the UK economy.

However, the IMF has stated that “ As an example “, Ireland would take a minimum 4% hit on it’s economy with a ‘no deal’ Brexit, as would several other EU countries , such as Denmark, Belgium and Holland, and overall, the EU will likely be hit hard with a minimum 1.5% hit on it’s economy, which is an average over the 27 countries, & means a substantial ( massive ) hit in several of the weaker economies, causing utter chaos all over
    Europe, and remember, that they estimated also, a 4% hit for the U.K. ( and this really is an unsubstantiated estimate without actually taking ‘accurately’ into account the boost in trade with the rest of the World ) is much easier to handle in a top 5 or 6 economy, than it is in the majority of other EU states.

A ‘free trade deal with the U.K. would produce an initial hit of no more than 0.8% overall in the EU- much much easier to handle than the above, with nouotin and therefore this alone will eventually bring common sense back to the table!

Remember, also, that these figures do not take fully into account holding back all or some of the Divorce Payment, which can be used towards boosting our economy, and making the financial hit on the EU even greater, potentially bankrupting some EU member states?

Yup, some people are going to take a hit, no doubt ( but it must be understood that it is not just in the UK ), however, as far as the UK is concerned, the economy, will not suffer as much as it did when Labour last had the keys to the Treasury!

#83721 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I find it interesting that so many people offer so many reasons why we shouldn’t have voted to leave. Where are the rational reasons for remaining in what is now an autocratic superstate?  Of course, it’s difficult to leave, it’s intended to be.

#83725 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Somehow undemocratic changed to autocratic in the above post.  The EU is an undemocratic superstate. Discuss.

#83728 Reply
    POPS

I’m not against a structured plan to leave the EU with a buffer period to negotiate continuing trade agreements, and to enable us to put an adequate customs and excise system in place to allow the free flow of goods. Our economy will still take a hit under this structured arrangement but it would be more  manageable.

I am solidly against a “no deal”, because it will bring initial chaos, and long term tariffs as we continue to trade with markets that we cannot do without.

Can you see our current politicians having the political expertise to deal with the fall out from a no deal Brexit?

#83730 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I agree with you POPS. But the EU will not allow it.

#83785 Reply
    fwipperie
    Participant

Sense will prevail in the EU, after infighting and I feel a deal will be agreed, a better deal for us than the existing one, but the divisions in the EU (which are being papered over) will widen.

#83788 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Brussels has boxed itself into a corner. They insist the withdrawal agreement cannot be changed and is the only way forward. They will lose face with the 27 if they now agree to something else and must act to discourage any other country following us out.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 154 total)
Reply To: The "B" word has been agreed (Part 3)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: