test drive insurance

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  vinalspin 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #68632 Reply

catturbo

wanted test drive vw and skoda cars.on both occasions was asked to sign for a £1000

insurance form for damage to cars.audi required £250.should this not be covered through motability.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #68648 Reply

joss
    Participant

Good question. I am due to test drive a BMW X2 M Sport this morning. Nothing has been mentioned about insurance costs. Just asked to bring my driving licence.

I know with my current car, that when in for service etc i get a curtsy car. For insurance they just get authorisation from Mobility insurance.

I will let you know how I get on today and if the insurance issue is raised.

Joss
    Current car Ford Focus Titianium 1.5 TDCI
    Next car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#68670 Reply

catturbo

cheers jos

#68674 Reply

Trev

I’ve never been asked to pay anything, just bring my driving license, and i’m put on the dealers insurance.

Just wondered though, could it be an age requirement, are you a young ‘un?

I'm running the Virgin London Marathon 2019 in support of MIND The Mental Health Charity

#68681 Reply

catturbo

senior citizen trev

#68682 Reply

Trev

Can’t understand why you would be asked for such a thing then catturbo.

Was this from the same group of dealers?

My advice would to phone motability, they are very nice to speak to on the phone, and ask why you are being asked for this.

Just to be clear though, they are not asking for you to pay anything upfront?

I'm running the Virgin London Marathon 2019 in support of MIND The Mental Health Charity

#68685 Reply

catturbo

not upfront,just sign for if any damage caused.

#68696 Reply

joss
    Participant

Good question. I am due to test drive a BMW X2 M Sport this morning. Nothing has been mentioned about insurance costs. Just asked to bring my driving licence. I know with my current car, that when in for service etc i get a curtsy car. For insurance they just get authorisation from Mobility insurance. I will let you know how I get on today and if the insurance issue is raised.

Well just to update. Just had to sign for any damage caused which is a standard thing when test driving I was told. By the way, had a great test drive and was very pleased with the X2. So much so I signed up for one.

Joss
    Current car Ford Focus Titianium 1.5 TDCI
    Next car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#68702 Reply

catturbo

so you would have had to pay for any damaged caused.is this a standard thing.

#68757 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

This is a standard thing. It all depends on the dealer and the insurance they take out to cover their dealer plates/cars. Some dealers pay more and get very comprehensive cover, this reduces the excess, so when you test drive, you just hand over your license, others pay less, then you get a range of different excess amounts according to the policy they decided upon. This can include an £1000 excess that you, as an individual, would have to pay if you damaged the vehicle on a test drive.

In theory, you should never get a test drive without signing paperwork regarding damage amongst other things, regardless of excess, but some salesmen don’t bother and I have even had a few who never asked for my licence.

This is also why some salesmen insist on coming with you and others don’t – its due to the insurance cover. Personally I don’t like it at all and the test “drives” are usually restricted to very short journeys, although Ford Perth took an accompanied 45 minute drive with me in an S-Max.

Motability and Motability insurance is not involved in this in any way. The test drive and the rules /excess requirements are between you and the dealer, its the same for all drivers taking test drives.

#68766 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

A dozen years ago I was asked to take a car out on a test drive for a friend of mine as he wanted to know if it was all that the blurb said, I was happy to do this as I still had feeling in my feet then and it wasn’t that long since I’d stopped motor racing.

I took the salesman out(after signing said insurance forms) in a 330bhp Audi TT Quattro 225 with lots of mods besides the power upgrade.

I used the business park the dealer was located on as a test track and did 3 laps of a course I had worked out beforehand, getting faster and faster each lap resulting in getting “air” twice on the last lap 🙂

My mate was well chuffed that the car was all it was made out to be but especially pleased that I had seemingly made a very brash salesman extricate himself from the car in tears, on his knees and vomiting!

Guess that’s some of the karma coming back to bite in the way I’m now treated by most sales persons as soon as they see the gimpy stagger. Oh well.

P.S. he bought the car and loved it for years.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: test drive insurance

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: