Tesla Cuts Cost Of Supercharger Membership For None Tesla Owners

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Phaedra
    Participant

The chargers have been open to other EV’s for several months, you don’t need the subscription.  All it does is give you a slightly cheaper rate, from what I’ve seen on the Skoda group you can get 42p/kWh charging off peak.

From Tesla site Q&A
      Do I need a subscription to use a Supercharge?

No. Our Superchargers that are accessible to all EV owners do not require a membership. Supercharging Memberships are available for EV owners using the Tesla app to lower the cost of charging across the network. Tesla owners are automatically members.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/supercharging-other-evs#need-membership

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Jojoe
      Participant

I know they’ve been opening certain superchargers to all since 2022, but you pay around 59p depending on location and time of day, membership takes this down to around 29p, which is very good. Also, you can cancel your membership after a month, so it’s ideal if you’re doing a single long journey and there’s a public supercharger on your route. I’m thinking of joining just for the months we go away.

Jojoe
        Participant

I think the bigger picture is the start of a charging price war. Tesla, like other EV manufacturers are experiencing reduced sales, they’ve already cut prices of new cars, so maybe they’re trying to make more profit from their charging network.

Phaedra
          Participant

If you can just do a 1 month membership then I can see how that would be useful for a holiday or long distance trip 🙂

As long as the maths work in your favour go for it! 😀

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Participant

If I was paying a subscription I’d want access to ALL their chargers, not just the ones already accessible to me.

UkHardcore23
              Participant

I think the bigger picture is the start of a charging price war. Tesla, like other EV manufacturers are experiencing reduced sales, they’ve already cut prices of new cars, so maybe they’re trying to make more profit from their charging network.

Hopefully, I have a IONITY chargers just a 2 min drive away from me but the prices are absolutely eye watering insane! 79p per KW, while Tesla Chargers i have a 15 min drive away and are 38p KW plus 8.99 a month.

So to fill my Megane 60KW ive ordered i reckon il need 2 Charges a month so…

Ionity would be 47.40 x2 = £94.80

Tesla would be 22.80 x2 = £45.60 + 8.99 = £54.59

That is a massive difference! Well done Tesla

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by UkHardcore23.
                Jojoe
                Participant

Hopefully, I have a IONITY chargers just a 2 min drive away from me but the prices are absolutely eye watering insane! 79p per KW, while Tesla Chargers i have a 15 min drive away and are 38p KW plus 8.99 a month. So to fill my Megane 60KW ive ordered i reckon il need 2 Charges a month so… Ionity would be 47.40 x2 = £94.80 Tesla would be 22.80 x2 = £45.60 + 8.99 = £54.59 That is a massive difference! Well done Tesla

I think you should get cheaper than 38p per KWh for Tesla, you get Tesla driver rates if you subscribe, charge when it’s quiet and it’s really cheap. Just make sure your local Tesla charger is one that’s open to all.

UkHardcore23
                  Participant

Hi Jojo

Yes your right even better, today when ive checked its down to 33p with membership. Does this fluctuate alot? I swear the last time i looked it was 38p and the time before that it was 39p.

Jojoe
                    Participant

Hi Jojo Yes your right even better, today when ive checked its down to 33p with membership. Does this fluctuate alot? I swear the last time i looked it was 38p and the time before that it was 39p.

It depends on time of day, if you can charge at night you can get it for 20 ish pence at some supercharger locations.

UkHardcore23
                      Participant

Just went through a number of the stations on the app…in Scotland 33p is the cheapest and luckily it’s the one closest to me.

Found  a 20p one down at the Trafford Centre.

Seems to vary price wise all around the country.

Jojoe
                        Participant

Tesla have just opened another 30 Superchargers to all EV users. There are now 70 open to all. This is fantastic news that will likely start a price war.

LordMuc
                          Participant

Elon has fired the whole SC team. Looks like they are slowing/stopping deployment of SC, or planning to sell it off. very strange decision, given that they are opening up, if its not making money. the price will rise.

Jojoe
                            Participant

Elon has fired the whole SC team. Looks like they are slowing/stopping deployment of SC, or planning to sell it off. very strange decision, given that they are opening up, if its not making money. the price will rise.

I don’t think they’ll sell it off, it’s the sole reason a lot of people buy Tesla.

Musk said on X this morning that they are concentrating on improving uptime and expanding current locations as well as finishing planned locations. So basically they would rather increase the number of chargers at a given location, than setup a new location. The time was always going to come when they reached what THEY thought was peak Supercharger saturation point.

kezo
                              Participant
                                Jojoe
                                Participant

Not directly related but, shows some of the cut backs Tesla is making in various area’s. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/exclusive-tesla-retreats-from-next-generation-gigacasting-manufacturing-process/ar-AA1o0Kbf?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=2db0e9b7e15849fca4cf08ecdebb9b32&ei=16

I read that yesterday, it really does look like they are trying to save money everywhere. I said last week I expected them to open more Superchargers, it just makes sense, an easy way to raise money. They’ve still got loads that are Tesla only, the M1 A1 corridor around Sheffield is still locked to Tesla only, there are loads of chargers in the area as well.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.