Terminating Contract early and leaving the scheme

• Creator
    Topic
  • #185127 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Gonna be calling Motability tomorrow about terminating my lease early.

I’ve placed an order today and paid a small deposit for the new car, should arrive in 3 to 4 weeks. Which is great considering current wait times many are experiencing. Which should be just before 2 years of the current lease is up on 21st of june i think maybe 22nd.

I wonder when would be the best time to hand it back and collect the new car, the dealer i buying from will take the car back on the day for mb, finance has been approved.

Obviously if it before it’s into the last year of the lease, i’ll get 1/3 of the ap i paid back on the current car plus 1 years gcb but is there a way to give it back on exactly 2 years and get 1/3 ap back and 2 years gcb.

It does say on mb site a fee of upto £250 for terminating early, but Mb are gonna do well out of the car as it’s done less than 10k in 2 years, no where near the 40k allowance and the values of used cars have increased since the car was bought, which is another reason to leave the scheme imo. Have heard some people only been charged £50 for a 1st termination, but is that if they getting another car on the scheme.

It’s just to good a deal to turn down at % apr on hp so it will cost more overall, but i will own it and plan to keep it for quite a while as only doing 5k miles a year right now, so in 5 years I would of only done 25k.

Taking into account current ap’s on many cars and the lack of cars currently on the scheme seems the right thing to do for me. Plus i don’t see it getting better anytime soon and is something I’ve had my eye on for a while with rising prices and inflated ap’s and the allowance we get not keeping up, adding an ap you pay to the allowance and it’s not much more really.

The scheme been great and has many positives, but i just don’t see it being as benfical for me moving forward as before. So i have made my move.

If anyone has done this terminated their contract and left the scheme early any info/feedback would be appreciated.

I have been on the scheme for over a decade now, not had a claim in that time either or got another car early.  So not sure what the procedure is regarding giving back the car and putting the free road tax on the new car.

Regarding insurance had quotes already but did hear some mention lv accept an rsa letter, of your claims history, but even without that it’s affordable considering my age / mileage etc…

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #185128 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

What car are you getting rox

#185129 Reply
    rox
    Participant

What car are you getting rox

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 booster jet SZ-T AUTO. Dealer contacted me today saying they was getting some in soon, was i still interested.

I prefer the 1.4  gearbox to the newer 1.5 version as its got an ags, so is a manual gearbox that automatically changes one of those hydraulic ones and definitely not for me..

My local dealer only had the awd version with the 1.4 and i don’t need awd.. or a wait till sept for a 1.5l. So will have to travel 70 miles to pick it up.

My wifes friend who lives across the road has one, thats an auto had a test drive a few weeks ago, but the 0% is very attractive. plus it has lots of saftey features as standard like blind spot, adaptive cruise which i really need in a car..

#185130 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Totally understand where you are coming from @rox.

I think it was @myself33 who mentioned LV, as he is leaving the scheme. You could also try direct line, I’m pretty sure they are also taking over scheme insurance next month and would be cheaper off scheme than RSA.

#185133 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Totally understand where you are coming from @rox. I think it was @myself33 who mentioned LV, as he is leaving the scheme. You could also try direct line, I’m pretty sure they are also taking over scheme insurance next month and would be cheaper off scheme than RSA.

Thank’s i did do a quote with direct line also afew weeks ago… and was quite a bit more than the others for the same cover.

What i’ll also enjoy is being able to driver other people’s cars like those belonging to my brothers for instance. Not being on the scheme, I’ve had to decline when they said take them for a little spin.

If they are taking over from rsa then maybe also it’s a good time to leave the scheme as they might not go back for the 11 years i been on the scheme with no claims.

#185184 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

Good luck Rox i have been on motability on and off since 2001 and as i like to change cars at least every few years i made some big mistakes and lost a lot of money.To say the least i am looking forward to getting my new motability car with the piece of mind that comes with it, had bought my own cars on finance and found i lost so much money and when i wanted to return to motability found my car was in negative equity so such a relief it was to get back on the scheme and i had a service monthly payment with my car and i found i was well out of pocket and had trouble with the car.

#185185 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

Anyone that is after the Fiat 500x dct 1.3 turbo there is a garage that still has one in stock as the 1.3 has now been deleted and a new 1.5 hybrid has replaced  it a shame as that 1.3 turbo is a cracking engine with the dct gearbox.

#185189 Reply
    rox
    Participant

@daveblue, Thx, Totally get what you are saying and i do agree the scheme is great, has been great for me in the past. I am planning to keep this new car for 5 years at least maybe even 1o years and if i did i’d only put 50,000 miles on it at my current mileage in 10 years. Just not doing the miles i was doing.

Who knows i might be a really old man and still driving it one owner from new, especailly the way things are going, with speed limiters coming and ev’s only allowed to be bulit and with no driveway to charge on. Quite a few things that tipping the scales for me really towards this decision.

With no interest to pay on the finance, it’s a huge bonus imo.. As i only have to wait 3/4 weeks till I’m in it and my current car i really do like it alot…infact i’ love it. but it’s just becoming to low for my wife as someone has to be kerbside and it ain’t me, There’s no chance i can get in or out unless i got no kerb even with help.

I really don’t know if i could wait, however long to get another on the scheme and or to be let down and it’s cancelled by the dealer or the specs ain’t what you agreed to, as has happen to so many on here. So this is the best option for me right now in the current climate, all things considered.

Just called mb, took my private plate off and i have the originals to go back on. So the problem of  not being able to have them on from the start of this lease in 2020 has helped.

Mb said £50 to terminate as it’s the 1st time in 11 years  but can rejoin scheme at anytime and if i was to rejoin and had to cancel again, it would be £250 so that’s another bonus. Plus I should get around £800 to almost 1k back depending when i hand it back and the new one is available.

Mb was helpful and very understanding as i have always found them to be even he agreed that currently stock is down from 2k/1600 cars and to today theres only 555 cars on the scheme right now 300 are automatics and the model i getting is no longer on the scheme.

My brother just got a fiat 595 recently has been modified way to small for us and no adaptive cruise, which is a must.

#185190 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I remember the old days driving a fiat uno turbo ie with the digital dash what a little rocket of a car that was…

soon i’ll be able to take his 500 for a spin..

#185213 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

I remember the old days driving a fiat uno turbo ie with the digital dash what a little rocket of a car that was… soon i’ll be able to take his 500 for a spin..

Yes i had a 1987 Suzuki swift mk one GTI 1300 electronic injection emblazed along the side it was very quick for a small car, you maybe being sensible in buying a 0% interest car and you are lucky to be able to get the finance as some of us may have to pay more interest depending on our circumstance’s although my last car i got 7.9% on a smart for two turbo  which had the dct renault gearbox and it was great little car.

#185214 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

I remember the old days driving a fiat uno turbo ie with the digital dash what a little rocket of a car that was… soon i’ll be able to take his 500 for a spin..

Remember it well rox. I had a Reno 5 gt turbo and can remember my mates either having the Reno, Uno or the MG Metro turbo. All little pocket rockets back in the day 🙂

#185238 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Remember it well rox. I had a Reno 5 gt turbo and can remember my mates either having the Reno, Uno or the MG Metro turbo. All little pocket rockets back in the day 🙂

My m8’s had mk2 golf gti and an xr3i and one had a supra, not a hot hatch but that thing was crazy fast…

I had a 1.6 205 gti as well loved that car, water pipe blew not long after getting it and had the engine done, got the suspension / brakes etc off a 1.9 gti and the interior from one of those blue special edition with the half leather bucket seats.

Then a long came kids and practical cars until now and the civic sport 1.5l 182 bhp first civic with a turbo. My 1st ever car was a honda accord fastback 1.6l, was given to me by a customer, who was leaving the country.  My friends called it “The beast” which is why i got this civic as not long after getting the golf on the scheme it came out and my son showed it to me..

Sadly not long after that in 2017 he passed away suddenly, still blows my mind. So really it was for him also.. he would of loved it and i still wonder what his 1st car would of been. In july he would of been 21.

He was my little car buddy and he’d get sent brochures and was on many dealers mailing list from such a young age. he’d check the specs for me and all that and it was so sad looking at cars without him.

#185241 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

My m8’s had mk2 golf gti and an xr3i and one had a supra, not a hot hatch but that thing was crazy fast… I had a 1.6 205 gti as well loved that car, water pipe blew not long after getting it and had the engine done, got the suspension / brakes etc off a 1.9 gti and the interior from one of those blue special edition with the half leather bucket seats. Then a long came kids and practical cars until now and the civic sport 1.5l 182 bhp first civic with a turbo. My 1st ever car was a honda accord fastback 1.6l, was given to me by a customer, who was leaving the country. My friends called it “The beast” which is why i got this civic as not long after getting the golf on the scheme it came out and my son showed it to me.. Sadly not long after that in 2017 he passed away suddenly, still blows my mind. So really it was for him also.. he would of loved it and i still wonder what his 1st car would of been. In july he would of been 21. He was my little car buddy and he’d get sent brochures and was on many dealers mailing list from such a young age. he’d check the specs for me and all that and it was so sad looking at cars without him.

So sorry to hear that @rox and I can’t begin to imagine how devastated you must be.

#185243 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

My m8’s had mk2 golf gti and an xr3i and one had a supra, not a hot hatch but that thing was crazy fast… I had a 1.6 205 gti as well loved that car, water pipe blew not long after getting it and had the engine done, got the suspension / brakes etc off a 1.9 gti and the interior from one of those blue special edition with the half leather bucket seats. Then a long came kids and practical cars until now and the civic sport 1.5l 182 bhp first civic with a turbo. My 1st ever car was a honda accord fastback 1.6l, was given to me by a customer, who was leaving the country. My friends called it “The beast” which is why i got this civic as not long after getting the golf on the scheme it came out and my son showed it to me.. Sadly not long after that in 2017 he passed away suddenly, still blows my mind. So really it was for him also.. he would of loved it and i still wonder what his 1st car would of been. In july he would of been 21. He was my little car buddy and he’d get sent brochures and was on many dealers mailing list from such a young age. he’d check the specs for me and all that and it was so sad looking at cars without him.

Hi Rox i am sorry to hear your loss it takes time to get over but at times it comes back i hope you have great luck with your new or nearly new car.

#185276 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Thx, It’s definitely put things into perspective and how time is the most valuable thing we have, as we cannot get it back. We are not in control of much at all in this universe and what was really important, just isn’t anymore. Time is the most important thing now.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Terminating Contract early and leaving the scheme
Your information: