‘Tens of thousands;’ of self-driving vehicles could be on UK roads by 2030

• Creator
    Topic
  • #167669 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Tens of thousands of self-driving vehicles could be on UK roads by 2030, delegates at Fleet and Mobility Live heard.

Mark Cracknell, head of connected and automated mobility at Zenzic, told fleet decision-makers at the ‘how connected cars can benefit your fleet’ seminar, that organisations were already looking at how the technology could benefit them.

He said: “A couple of years ago, I was at a fleet conference and I was up straight after a panel discussion on electric vehicles.

“There was lots of cynicism about whether electric vehicles was going to be a thing and I was sat there thinking ‘I’m going to get up and talk about self-driving cars in a minute, and then I’m going to get nowhere’.

“I think we’ve moved on a little bit since then. There is a future in both the connectivity and the automation, when we think about your fleets.

“Over the past month, we’ve seen two or three tie ups with major chains, the likes of Ocado, or Wilkinsons, partnering up with technology providers to look at how they might automate their fleets, maybe starting within depots, within warehousing.

“But how do you start to transition vehicles and the goods outside of that? When are we going to get there? It’s a question we get asked often.

“At Zenzic, we put together a road map, which covers all sorts of things from legislation, regulation, insurance, public acceptance, technology in the vehicles, the infrastructure, and ultimately how these are going to be used.

“We built this really comprehensive view that says, by 2030, we aspire to see 10s of 1000s of these vehicles out there running services deployed in regions around the UK.

“By 2025, which is only a few years away, we’re going to be ready at the point where we’ve got everything we need in place and we’re just going to start scaling up to the point where we are now with electrification of fleets.”

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #167671 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i have my doubts. AI driving itself with no human help, where other humans are driving is a disaster waiting to happen. just my opinion.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#167674 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Zenzic is a private company wholly funded by the taxpayer. Sounds like a good gig…

#167695 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

“could”

#167697 Reply
    brydo

Struth, absolutely the most dangerous time. When ALL cars are AI driven there will be fewer accidents as they will be “talking” to each other, hopefully to avoid any incidents.

I understand why people are sceptical as it seems like so many SciFi movies weve seen but ultimately money talks so taxi, haulage and bus companies, to name a few, will jump at the chance to get rid of their biggest expense, the human behind the wheel. Think about it the HGV that travels 24/7 no sick days/holidays or pensions to pay for, £££££££s saved.

#167735 Reply
    Littledave.

I doubt it. As yet, no manufacturer has developed a system capable of driving in all weather conditions and on all road types.

Nor have the autonomous vehicle ethics been resolved. Different cultures have very different ethics. What choices will a car make if it is impossible to avoid fatalities, either in a car or pedestrians? Car manufacturers are devoting a lot of time to this issue, but no consensus exists.

#167751 Reply
    Brydo

Only time will tell but to many money is God and usually the main reason for change.

Autonomous cars are already being used, small scale, in California delivering meals etc so it has already started.

#167755 Reply
    ajn

How about sabotage, crime how will that work out, would you leave a parcel in your car unattended, I think thieves will love this idea…

I mean they steal top cars with all the security in minutes, they find ways around security quite easy, considering the amount of time it takes to invent..

crime will still be out there, even in the fresh air unfortunately..

#167756 Reply
    ajn

Anyone ever look forward to seeing these things as kids, wont be long before kids are on top of the above mentioned no soon as it’s introduced, insurance could be a huge problem too I guess..

#167759 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

The Government has launched a consultation on creating a road crash investigation team as self-driving technologies become more prevalent.

The aim of the new Road Collision Investigation Branch (RCIB) would be to learn lessons from road traffic collisions, including those involving self-driving vehicles.

The RCIB would operate much like the similar independent bodies that already exist for air, maritime and rail accidents.

It would carry out thematic investigations and probe specific incidents of concern to establish the causes of collisions and make independent safety recommendations to help further improve road safety across the country.

Roads Minister Baroness Vere said: “The UK’s roads are among the safest in the world, but we’re always looking at ways to make them even safer.

“A new investigation branch would play a huge role in this work by identifying the underlying causes of road traffic collisions, so we can take action to prevent them from happening again.

“It would also provide us with vital insight as we continue to modernise our road network to ensure better, greener and safer journeys.”

The Department for Transport (DfT) consultation on proposals to set up a Road Collision Investigation Branch (RCIB), is being launched now due to the huge developments which are taking place across the transport sector, such as the rollout of increasingly automated and electric vehicles (EVs), it says.

Director of the RAC Foundation Steve Gooding said: “After excellent progress across many years, sustained road safety improvement has been hard to achieve over the past decade, both in the UK and further afield.

“We should be challenging ourselves on whether we are understanding all we can about the causes of road collisions and what could be done to prevent them – our research to date suggests that more could be learnt – which is why today’s consultation is so important and so welcome.”

Jason Wakeford, head of campaigns at the road safety charity Brake also welcomed the move. He said: “Currently, information about the perceived cause of a road crash is recorded by police at the time of a collision, but only provides basic insights which simply are not adequate to properly investigate and determine the most effective countermeasures to tackle future road casualties.

“Brake has long advocated for an independent agency to provide the necessary evidence to learn from crashes and so we applaud the Department for Transport for launching today’s consultation.”

The consultation will run until December 9, 2021.

#167761 Reply
    ajn

Brydo I know you have a passion for the future of this, I do realise there must be change, however some things don’t change, people’s attitudes when they see this sort of thing going along I think it will be open to any financial gain possible..

Wouldn’t surprise me if they were targeted purposely for injury claims, theft and even joy riding on top..

Even the inventors themselves must have thought it, but there again they’re selling it..

#167762 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I absolutely have a passion for this stuff ajn but i do see the pitfalls that come with them. Money is the major driver in most businesses and BEVs and the tech that go with them is no different.

It will be very difficult, but im sure theyll find a way, to get away with false injury claims as there are many cameras ditted around aotonomous cars just to make them safe. These cameras will pick up, hopefully, every pedestrian and vehicle in the vacinity and will record and store the footage.

I mentioned whats happening in California there are other trials going on around the world including here in the UK im not sure how else to say this but,
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>”THERE’S NO STOPPING THIS”</p>

#167764 Reply
    ajn

Fair comment, 360 cameras live streaming and recording, well yes that’s certainly going to help matters for anyone trying it on I guess.

#167891 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

#167956 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

I hope they don’t come round here it’s busy enough already

#167957 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Well that looks fantastic Windy, do you stay there?

#167958 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Bryson no choice really that’s where we live lol

#167961 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Who trims the verges?

#167965 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Wigwam it’s that time of year Farmer sorts it looks nice for a while

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: ‘Tens of thousands;’ of self-driving vehicles could be on UK roads by 2030
Your information: