SUV/MPV suitable for big man + wheelchair

• Creator
    Topic
  • #32307 Reply
    Moody
    Participant

I need my next vehicle on the Motability scheme to have a better steering wheel position. I currently have a Kuga. In the correct seating position for me the steering wheel almost rubs my lap/belly.  I need the large hatchbatch boot for a hoist to load my folded bariatric wheelchair so we are talking MPV/SUV

Any suggestions ?
    (no “just diet fatty” jokes. My size is more complicated 😉 )

Grand C-Max 2.0 tdci zetec - Autochair 80Kg Hoist
    Kuga 2.0 tdci zetec - Autochair 80Kg Hoist
    Kuga 1.5 eco 176ps awd auto titanium x - Autochair 80Kg Hoist- lease extended by 2 years due to horrendous AP to replace.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #32309 Reply
    kevin mitchell

citroen c4 grand picasso loads of room all round very adjustable steering wheel and massage seats.

#32327 Reply
    Abercol

I am “large”…ahem, xxxl in a shirt. Average height, but very heavy with very short legs and a long body – feck knows the mongrel heritage there!

I drive a Grand Picasso, suits me, no belly rubbing – plenty of room and still sitting high up.

We went to the One Big Day in Edinburgh, found the Galaxy good, Kuga no use, Sssangyong Turismo was really good, very comfy, but it is a BIG car (wife was against it till she sat in it – I think its her favorite). Alhambra/Sharan was good for me, but wife didn’t like it. X-trail was ok, but a test drive is required to see if its better than the Quashqai (see below)

Hired an Outlander the other week for a few days, it was good as well, roomy and comfortable…although it was the top spec, so it had toys in it that the scheme car won’t have. Also hired a top spec Quashqai for 3 days recently – terrible, like something out of the 90’s, bad ride, cramped and noisy, awful small seats and a tiny boot…yuk.

#32328 Reply
    Abercol

Oh…And the Picasso “massage” seats – pure gimmick, waste of cash. I’d have far rather had heated seats than the “massage” which is just the lumbar support pumping up and down. Added to the stupidity are the controls which sit in front of the seat base under your left thigh and dig in if you position your leg in the wrong place….probably not an issue if you have skinny long legs (ha, not in my lifetime!).

#32329 Reply
    Moody
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. It rely is appreciated.  I’m not bothered about toys like sat nav etc as all of our journeys are shops, hospitals etc. Oh what a Rock n Roll lifestyle I live these days.   Other than aircon and a usb port for my music I’m not fussy as long as the drive is comfortable and safe.

Sounds like the Picasso is a no simply because of the thigh digging.  One of the issues with the Kuga is the seat isnt wide enought and the edge ridges cut into my butt like I’m being tortured in an episode of Game of Thrones.

I will look further into the others listed.

Again Thanks

Grand C-Max 2.0 tdci zetec - Autochair 80Kg Hoist
    Kuga 2.0 tdci zetec - Autochair 80Kg Hoist
    Kuga 1.5 eco 176ps awd auto titanium x - Autochair 80Kg Hoist- lease extended by 2 years due to horrendous AP to replace.

#32334 Reply
    Justsaying

Person size in mind toyota rav 4 and Hyundai Tucson both worth a look. if you don’t have to order yet or can extend have a look at skoda kodiaq lovely siting position and should be on list soon may miss q4 but seems certain for q1. not sure if you need auto or not but if sat nav is not an issue the Tucson se is a reasonable spec I believe  petrel manual q4 price stars at just £99 AP £299 for se nav

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Reply #32327 in SUV/MPV suitable for big man + wheelchair
Your information: