Super Handy 3 Wheel Mobility Scooter Now Ordered!

• Creator
    Topic
    Gee
    Blocked

I’ve taken a chance and ordered a ‘Super Handy’ 3 wheel mobility scooter from Amazon today.

Why taken a chance? Well, because the ‘Super Handy’ is not one of the major branded mobility scooter manufacturers as far as i am able to determine.

Price wise its only £899.99p including free delivery.

Has a max range of 6.5 miles which is more than i will ever need.

Its super light and super foldable so hopefully it’ll be easy enough for me to lift into the boot of my Kuga.

Has anyone else got a Super Handy?

Have i made an error going with a non branded manufacturer?

Btw, the deciding factor for choosing the Super Handy was price.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Ele
      Participant

Heavy to lift/load into a car boot I hear and will need to only use on flat level surfaces

Care needed when turning quickly as it will tip over

Very small wheels

IMO Ok for ex supermarkets but not for paved uneven surfaces

No good imo due to small wheels and no suspension if the user has back/joint problems

No mention of this being VAT (that I can see) free so its quite possibly not a scooter to aid a disability

Let us know how you get on

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Ele.
        kezo
        Participant

https://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/superhandy-scooter-review/

This review on Amazon sounds promising and states you can claim VAT back via HMRC.

This is one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. I tried other so called lightweight scooters but this beat them all in every respect. I’m not good at lifting and but I can put this in my car boot without folding it – just lift the seat off first and in it goes. It’s so easy to operate and control. Batteries can be changed very easily and having two is good so less chance of running out of juice and recharging is fast and easy. They say 6.5 miles on one battery but that depends on the weight of the rider, terrain, wind, etc. so expect a variation on their claims. I get about an hour per battery and weigh about 100 kg. It climbs slopes without problem. It’s quite stable as long as you treat it with respect and don’t try anything silly. Getting around shops is so easy with it’s tight turning circle. It’s speed is easily controlled with one thumb. It’s a really great disability aid that does it’s job really well. It’s design and build quality is first class. It has to be a ‘best buy’ not one thing I don’t like about it…….. now here’s the but!!!

This scooter falls into the the Class 2 category and those with a disability who are eligible to make an HMRC declaration can buy free of vat. I purchased mine on 7 February 2023 and it was delivered on 9 February 2023 and I’m still waiting for my refund. The normal way in the UK is for the retailer to sell vat free on production of a completed HMRC declaration form but Amazon make you pay the vat then you have to claim it back. Very odd and very S. L. O. W. I think Amazon should explain their reasons for working contrary to HMRC’s explanation of how the vat exemption works. If you have bought one and are able to complete the HMRC declaration form then Amazon owes you a refund of the vat if you haven’t already claimed.”

Drive ST1 or Livewell jaunt may have been better and £300 cheaper but I know very little about scooters in general.

What the the returns policy like if your not happy or don’t like it?

Ele
          Participant

Ah! Cheers Kezo

Amazon is as clear on its VAT Policy as it is on its own tax policies and not sure why its not clearly explained/shown as it should be

Seems reviews may differ and the reviewer admits to not knowing much about mobility scooters although Amazons own sellers site see (cant post link …see amazon .. SuperHandy 3 Wheel Folding Mobility Scooter…..) It states and was partly along with my own hard learned lessons the reason I posted my warning (This e-mobility device is a classified as a “Non-Medical Device” and is not intended to assist, treat, diagnose or alleviate any medical condition or disability; [CAUTION] Do not make turns at high speeds or on steep inclines, your e-mobility device may tip over; Always perform a “Pre-Ride Safety Check”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

My real world no sales pitch advice was given and it is based on my own extensive personal experiences of using many types of mobility scooters over the last decade,although unfortunately/sadly due to my conditions I am now no longer able to sit on one.

My advice is unless its intended use is to only use it in the described situations then its possibly best to avoid imo and experience

These particular scooters are simple occasional use boot scooters for flat even surfaces  such as super markets/airports and so on

Can be unsafe for the user on anything other than flat level ground

A scooter such as this with no suspension and such small wheels will V quickly degrade if its not used in the proper intended manner imo

I expect the above advice will be better understood once its has been used

amazon.co.uk/SuperHandy-Lightweight-Collapsible-Detachable-Lithium-ion/dp/B096LD9PC1

Participant

very pricey for what it is imo.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
              Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Gee
              Blocked

I’m now thinking that i probably should’ve asked you guys before ordering. Unfortunately its too late for me to cancel because its being delivered tomorrow. I’ll update the forum in due course.

kezo
                Participant

I’m now thinking that i probably should’ve asked you guys before ordering. Unfortunately its too late for me to cancel because its being delivered tomorrow. I’ll update the forum in due course.

Can you not return it, if it turns out not what you expected?

Jojoe
                  Participant

Distance selling regulations and Amazon’s own rules should allow you to return. Mrs Joe uses a scooter, the shop that sold us her first one said they wouldn’t sell 3 wheeler ones due to the risk of tipping. Also, as Struth says, it’s very expensive for not a lot of scooter. I’d be inclined to not open the box and request a return. The foldable 4 wheeler ones look better but are more expensive. Ultimately it’s you who will be using it, if it’s only for supermarkets and even surfaces it may work for you.

Gee
                    Blocked

Good thinking @kezo & @jojoe! My spare room is full of stuff that i’ve ordered on a whim. If i’d returned even half of that stuff i probably could’ve afforded to buy a decent foldable scooter. Whist on the subject can anyone recommend a good foldable with a max budget of £1250?

Jojoe
                      Participant

We got the last one on eBay. It’s a Litech Marathon it has lithium batteries and a 26 mile range. New price was £1600, we got it for £400. It was mint condition, the seller gave us paperwork which showed it was 12 months old. The owner passed away and his children sold it on eBay. There are lots of bargain priced scooters on eBay, many people buy them and realise they don’t use them.

kezo
                        Participant

Distance selling regulations and Amazon’s own rules should allow you to return. Mrs Joe uses a scooter, the shop that sold us her first one said they wouldn’t sell 3 wheeler ones due to the risk of tipping. Also, as Struth says, it’s very expensive for not a lot of scooter. I’d be inclined to not open the box and request a return. The foldable 4 wheeler ones look better but are more expensive. Ultimately it’s you who will be using it, if it’s only for supermarkets and even surfaces it may work for you.

Indeed it states – Item can be returned in its original condition for a full refund within 30 days of receipt

Or not exept it off the courier!

@Gee
                          do you have a hoist in the Kuga?

Jojoe
                          Participant

I don’t know anything about the supplier or the scooter, but I’ve seen this on Amazon. Your best doing some research first.

kezo
                            Participant

The Livewell and Drive mentioned before are well known brands. They both do “boot” scooters for £595. Alot depends on the weight of them I guess or whether you have an hoist.

Participant

I’m lucky  in that my country park 3 miles away has 2 scooters. You can use you just leave a donation £5 can have for 2 hours

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar photoMenorca Mike.
                                Ele
                                Participant

I have found these boot scooters only enabled me to get around supermarkets or flat paved sea fronts and the like

Mine was a named good quality 9.5 inch wheel x4 boot model that broke down into smaller sections

But the smallest section ( rear wheels section) and large heavy battery was a pain to lift and fit into the car boot and then lift out bend down an reassemble

My back problems now prevent me from rattling along even on a shopmobility hire scooter

I have used many a shopmobility scooter and had some great days out in Brighton and Chichester sadly no more

Catch 22 for most of us as the reality is a much larger car or WAV is needed to transport any scooter thats anywhere near suitable to use around town or trip to the shops/zoo visits

As before boot scooters with a hoist used in the right limited places can be a god send for many

I certainly enjoyed my time with one when I was fit enough to lift and use it

Participant

the small pavement scooters are just that.. no use over rougher ground than paved. same for folders. i got a folder from careco as boot on new car was smaller than my last. i got a small 2 way hoist fitted tho as its still heavy. as you see even folder it is biggish and quite heavy

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                                    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.