Sunflower idea 🌻

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143296 Reply
    ajn

I’m thinking of growing a sunflower in memory of anyone who sadly didn’t make it through the virus….

Thing is I have very little knowledge of doing so, is it to late in the year to early, I’ve got a pot, some compost no seed or flower yet..

would anyone else be interested and maybe have updates on our growing experience🌻.

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 436 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145953 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@Lou and @joss thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated. As I said, the Chelonia have been around just so long, you’ve got to give them a great deal of respect. {{🐢}}

#146075 Reply
    Lou

Good evening you lovely lot, in the midst of speaking with doctors…sorting some urgent tests & prepping (mentally) for an assumingly painful/sore procedure tomorrow I almost forgot to update on my baby seedlings! 🌱

So it turns out my sunflowers are 9 inches tall! And only reported 24hrs earlier Woops! The strawberry sticks are starting to grow new bigger leaves on the 30+ plants I accidentally grew (in a grape tub!) the carrot balls are still small but there growing, the cress is getting so crazy tall, the apple plants are just plodding along slowly so I think there in need of a repot and the sweet peas (not the actual peas) are getting quite tall and beginning to have buds appear so all in all I’m quite happy with the current process.

How are you all getting on? 🌻🌻🌻

#146076 Reply
    Lou

😂 I meant repotted

#146101 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Hi all. Second load of sunflowers popping up. I put two seeds in each pot. At first only one came up in each pot. Yesterday three of the second seeds burst into life. Tomatoes gone mad. Loads of ’em coming up. Will start putting the sunflowers out during the day – with all this sunlight they’ve got to like it?

Hope things go well for you today, Lou. You have our best wishes. Let us know how it all goes, when you can.

#146103 Reply
    Lou

Excellent tharg, your making me get a bit excited to receive my tomato plants! How you explained your second seeds popping up sounds exactly like my carrot balls. It looked like I had a tub of soil just sitting there being watered everyday 😂 then these teeny tiny little seedlings made a show just as I was considering giving up.

Thankyou for your kind words, am beginning to get quite nervous 😕 il let you know how it goes a bit later 👍

#146360 Reply
    ajn

Hello back from time away with Mrs ajn (well deserved break)🌞, any sunflower growers still here, saw mine briefly when arriving home, they were still green and upright so my Son seems to have tended to them, I’ll get some pics on later…

HELLO anyone still growing em 🤣😂

🌻🌸🌸🌼🌼🌼

#146376 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Welcome back, ajn. Glad your stuff is doing well. Mine too. Some are so big will have to put into bigger pots. More important… @Lou how did your medical stuff go earlier this week. Hope you are OK. Take care and, please, do let us know. 🌻

#146402 Reply
    Lou

Hello, welcome back ajn & I hope you and Mrs ajn had a lovely break away.

Looking forward to your pics, have they grown a lot? Mine shot up and despite being repotted, it needs a bigger one already! Everything’s gone a bit crazy in height this last week.

Tharg Thankyou for asking, the procedure could not go ahead as they found something on the scan before doing it so Iv got to have more tests 👎

I hope your all enjoying this warm sunshine! 🌻🌻🌻 keep them beauts growing tall….I love seeing the progress.

#146427 Reply
    ajn

Thanks for the welcome back, it was a great break..

Best of luck with the test Lou, sorry to read about the tortoise Tharg..

🌻

#146463 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Hi all

Thanks for kind words, ajn. Much appreciated. Glad you had a good break with Mrs ajn. In same boat with regard to overseas hols. Too dodgy at the moment. Even if we could get health insurance which, given Mrs T’s recent operations and the chance of condition coming back, I suspect we will not be able to get.

Lou – so sorry things went a bit wonky with your medical stuff. Hope these new tests will give you a way forward. On the sunflower front, my triffids are growing apace. Will have to move into bigger pots. Was going to do this today but nasty plumbing job got in the way. Will try to do it tomorrow and get some snaps put up.

#146498 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Here they are. With luck they’ll mostly be in their own pots by close of play

#146501 Reply
    ajn

Well done Tharg, Thanks for the update pics, I think the larger one will get out and get his own pot if you don’t sort it soon🤣, I’ll pop some pics on later too..

🌻

#146513 Reply
    ajn

🌻🌸🌸🌼🌼🌼

#146514 Reply
    ajn

🌻🌸🌸🌼🌼🌼

#146515 Reply
    ajn

Noticed some shrivelled leaves, what’s all that about 🧐…

🌻

#146540 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I say, ajn… really yomping skywards are they not. Would guess shrivelled leaves are perhaps a consequence of putting so much energy into the climb to height. Mine are now planted into bigger pots. Hope they survive the change of home!

#146542 Reply
    Lou

Thankyou tharg, I must say 😱 wow! All your sunflowers are looking fantastic, can I ask what size pots are yours in now? I am thinking of getting 12 inch pots for mine before I start to leave them outside day & night (there still not big/strong enough to withstand the wind).

Ajn I think the shrivelled leaves will be ok as they are growing beautifully.

I hope tilly pear has been enjoying the warm weather the last few days 🙂

#146576 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Mine are in 5/6in pots. Will try to do a snap or two tomorrow. And, yup, Tilly pear-dog enjoys the weather. At least she enjoys finding the warmest bit of sunlit lawn to flomp down on.

#146647 Reply
    Lou

Interesting tharg, I was considering 12 inch pots for mine but weren’t sure if that would be too roomy (can only mean more room to grow).

Ah love her heart 🐶 so I was inspecting my largest sunflower and have noticed it’s got aphids on the stem and under the leaves 😐 where do these critters come from!? I don’t want my plants to be eaten before they even bloom. Have you spotted any aphids?

#146655 Reply
    ajn

Aphids….Mrs ajn says I should check under the shrivelled leaves for aphids..

Yet my Son says the compost/soil with added goodies to grow could be to strong for the plants…

I’ll have to check this aphid thing later🧐….wow the joys of growing🤣

🌻

#146687 Reply
    Lou

Aphids……not great at all for anything plant but the ladybugs love them! (You heard it here first!) 🐞

#146694 Reply
    ajn

@Lou, these aphids Lou can they be seen by eye or do I need a magnifying glass sort of thing🧐, I need glasses to write this mind 🤣.

🌻

#146705 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Nope, no aphids here – yet. Will keep a look out. They usually respond well to a squirt of dangerous chemicals! On the pots, I reckon 12″ ones will do fine. Only used the smaller ones because they were all I could find and larger ones wouldn’t fit in kitchen.

#146710 Reply
    Lou

Ajn they are teeny tiny and…..green 😕 I need glasses for tv and driving (not sure what type that makes me) but if I hold my plants probably millimetres away from my eye then I can see them, think I suggest glasses/magnifier 😂.

Your absolutely right tharg, little squirt bottle of water and a teeny tiny bit of soap (a tiny tiny drop) or you can gently remove them with your hand but I wouldn’t myself as young plants are delicate. Iv so far got a single leaf which was healthy and has now slowly started to shrivel thanks to the aphids so I’m going to remove them before they suck the life out of everything. Ah thanks for explaining on pots tharg, il get some bigger ones for mine as they really need it soon again lol.

#146711 Reply
    ajn

Right quick update no aphid things on stem or under leaves, I haven’t watered them today and my leaves have lifted higher up, I have the feeling I’ve been a bit to generous with the wet stuff 😳..

I’ll get a pic under the leaf and close to stem and zoom in just to be definite..

Thanks for the info too 👍

🌻

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 436 total)
Reply To: Reply #143421 in Sunflower idea 🌻
Your information: