Sunflower idea 🌻

• This topic has 133 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 23 minutes ago by ajn.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #143296 Reply
    ajn

I’m thinking of growing a sunflower in memory of anyone who sadly didn’t make it through the virus….

Thing is I have very little knowledge of doing so, is it to late in the year to early, I’ve got a pot, some compost no seed or flower yet..

would anyone else be interested and maybe have updates on our growing experience🌻.

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #144618 Reply
    ajn

Hopefully the few sunny days we’ve had will help the germination process for all.

My head has been blocking out the sunlight due to constant looking, and fussing them to sprout 😯😂🤣.

Oh well hope the involved are taking it in there stride and enjoying it..

👍🌻🌻🌻🌸

#144621 Reply
    ajn

their stride* 🤭🌻

#144627 Reply
    Lou

Lol! That made me giggle 😂 Iv been checking mine too….probably a bit more than what’s seen as normal 🤨  checking the updates on here is making it that little bit more fun.

#144739 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Despite being a Staffie, our dog is also known as a Pearhund

#144750 Reply
    Lou

Oh my! He/she is adorable! Still got the puppy dog face (I’m guessing around 7 years?) my sister has a blue staffie girl although she’s an old lady at 10 years, also the most soppiest clumsiest thing going and she’s gets massively excited wen she sees me & talks to me in a weird funny snorting sound 🤨 but she’s done that since she was 8wks

#144755 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Her name is Tilly and she was a rescue so we don’t really know how old she is. You are probably near with seven years, Lou. She really is the gentlest, most affectionate dog ever. Spoiled rotten, of course. Her pear addiction means that in the pear-off-season, we have to buy cheap supermarket bags of the things as an after-dinner dessert!

#144764 Reply
    ajn

Oh yes, love the pic Tharg great stuff..

#144777 Reply
    Lou

Awww love her heart, I used to work within 2 of the big charities (as did an estranged relative) so the guessing age I did often. That’s so funny she has a pear addiction, bet she loves it when you buy her a bag. I’m so glad Tilly has a home full of love with you…they give so much more back, despite bad starts. Enjoy your pears Tilly 🥰

#144789 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Thanks, Lou. She certainly is loved – everyone who meets her is lost! The real dog-lovers among them plot to abduct her and whisk her away to life with a new mummy! No chance. They have no pears. We tell her this before they arrive!

#144803 Reply
    Lou

😂 love her heart, im one of the ones that stops, chats & gives peoples dogs some cuddles, guilty as charged but can’t help it. Always loved animals (my school had a farm!) so have grown up with it in more ways than usual.

#144807 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

You were dead right about her age, Lou. I asked Madam T who has more details in head than me and seven is about right. She was from a rescue in the Fens; was going to be destroyed, not because she’s done anything bad, simply because she is a Staffie a, supposedly fearsome, face-eating monster that nobody will want. Couldn’t let that happen. She’s none of those things; simply a great, soppy, licky darling. Her tongue is the longest you’ll ever see – we call it “Tarquin” because we are convinced it is its own separate lifeform especially when trying to remove bits of food from my chef apron after cooking –  Must get it a website!

Madam sounds a ringer for you; her Pa used to breed dogs, latterly English Bull Terriers – did the whole Crufts judging thing. She grew up with dogs and, I reckon, loves them better than humans. Seems fairly balanced to  me, these days!

#144890 Reply
    Lou

Wow that threw me! I don’t understand how anyone can want to put a perfectly healthy loving dog down just because of its breed. Staffies are given such a bad name because of stories that are largely publicised. What about Dalmatian that can turn at any time? Or dog de bourdex even border collies (despite being known as working dogs) they are all animals capable of attacking which should be remembered. I hate that staffies have a bad name and find it quite unfair. Tilly’s tongue sounds pretty impressive, I love that it’s got a name of it’s own lol. What I learnt when I worked in the big charities was yes sadly they do put down healthy dogs as they do not have a “no kill policy” in place….if you search rescue centres that have a no kill policy, you will see how few and far between they are. It’s sad because were led to believe differently and to trust massive charities but honestly there aren’t as cracked up as they say they are.

I would love to have a hairy hairless Chinese crested or an old English sheep dog (crazy difference in dog) and show them at crufts one day. I would name an English sheepdog nana (can you guess the film?) not sure if any of it will happen in my lifetime tho 😔 Tilly must be an absolute pleasure to take for a walk. How are your sunflowers getting on everyone? Mine are just starting to sprout 😊 the cress has gone crazy wild and my apples are going to need larger pots! The strawberry sticks are just showing signs of rooting/sprouting but nothing from my carrot balls. I planted sweet peas a little while ago too.

#144893 Reply
    ajn

Here’s an update of the some of the sunflowers…
    Tharg Stafford’s always get the bad press, however every one of them I’ve ever known or owned proves different.

They are understanding to owners and truly a great breed of dog..

Tilly there living proof👍🌻🌻

#144894 Reply
    ajn

#144895 Reply
    ajn

#144897 Reply
    ajn

If anyone can remember my plan of large yellow to the back, shorter reds in the middle, with multi miniatures to the front…

Well urrrrrmmm I don’t know which are which 😳..

#144898 Reply
    ajn

Tharg keep the Tilly pics coming as we get through the sprouting, growing stage of the plants, we got months of this left 🤣😂🌱🌱🌼🌸🌻

#144944 Reply
    Lou

Looking good ajn, mine are very similar to the second photo although there about 4 inches tall 😳I’m considering a bit bigger pots but they will shoot up too quick.

😂 I’m under the impression you didn’t label them? Iv only put a label on the peas, I keep getting the carrots and strawberry sticks muddled. Yours will be a nice surprise ajn.

Oh yes please do keep photos of Tilly coming, she’s so sweet.

#144948 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Wow! So many bits to answer – have been confined to kitchen, distracted by spicy objects! Home-made jerk chicken, with accompanying fried plantains and DIY mango/line chutney demanded my attention all p.m.

So glad you understand the lack of “no-death” policies. PDSA seems to be the best, saying they never kill healthy dogs. RSPCA seem to be the worst, regardless of species. We care for two tortoises from a bunch of 500 intercepted by RSPCA in a suitcase at Heathrow. They were going to be killed until some Chelonia carers got to hear about it and split them up among themselves, including us. RSPCA even has a bloody acronym to cover policy – PTSed, Sure you can work it out.

Sunflowers still trying to wake up, I’m afraid. Living in hope. AJN – yours are galloping along. Brilliant! Tilly is a delight to walk although, sadly, Mrs T cannot do it at present. She had to have two emergency, nasty, life-threatening operations just before turn of the year for volvulus/bowel obstruction. Now has two 1ft-long scars in stomach which are taking ages to heal. Moreover, she is a lightweight anyway and the hospital stays with their criminally incompetent ward nursing left her weighing only five and a half stone. We have a friend walking Tilly for us but hope to get out again soon. Can’t walk her myself, mobility issues and strength of dog would have me flat on back (or front) within minutes.

More later… the jerk chicken calls!

#144953 Reply
    Lou

Ohhh your dinner sounds Mexican (I’m not a spice person) enjoy it 😋.

Yep no death policy I think need to be made more known, I feel for people that donate to charities which still put healthy animals down as there unaware what exactly they are donating to. I once had a lot of respect for rspca and would take strays/injured animals to my main centre….I lost that respect completely after I had been on the other side of the walls. Oh I love tortoises, I did have a couple of turtles years ago aswell called speedy & Gonzales 🙂 The greed of some people these days is shocking, the fact they use & neglect living animals for there own gain is wrong. Our system does not serve as a deterrent either because it’s so soft on criminals, sadly nothing will change unless the way it’s dealt with changes too.

Keep holding on, I didn’t think my sunflowers would sprout either…but was surprised when I checked this morning to see it starting to push up thru the soil. Ok I have a confession to make…..I actually checked the seed and when I realised it was showing some roots I covered it up again but didn’t bury it as deeply. Ajn has got some great growth hasn’t he?

This was my concern when I thought about a dog, the exercising. I have mobility issues like yourself but sadly I have days where I’m left bed bound too. Myself and my partner did have a very very sweet chihuahua cross that weighed just under 4kg (pint sized) and he would take her out most of the time. She passed away a month after he did although she was 20 years old. I miss the company a dog brings and how unconditionally loving they are but I wouldn’t be in a position to fully care for one myself. 🙁

#144958 Reply
    Lou

I do hope Mrs T is feeling better? I hope her scars heal well. Her surgeries sound excruciating! Take it easy Mrs T and enjoy your food 😊 she must of been teeny when you got her home.

#144972 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Jerk chicken is, I’m told, a West Indian dish; not sure whether it is Jamaican or Trinidadian. Basically marinate chicken thighs in a paste with chilli and onions etc. Then just put in oven for some 45-50 mins.. Finish off with kitchen blowtorch to crisp up,

Madam T has always been of the lightweight variety. Answers to “skinny bird” with no hesitation. Trouble is she loses weight very quickly but then takes ages to get it back on again. As house cook I try my best to push the calories in. Having some success but, as said, it is a long slow job. Before op’s she was ridiculously fit for one who is a good few years north of three-score and ten. Could walk five miles in no time at all and be barely out of breath. Used to do charity walks for the breast cancer folks as well. She will get back there eventually.

#145017 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Tilly snaps, as requested…

#145052 Reply
    Lou

Having Indian in my blood everyone assumes I would like spicey food but are quite shocked when they see how plain and bland I am 😂 your dinner sounded pretty straight forward to prep and cook which I like, think if I done it then it would have to be more of a tomato flavour or bbq & cheese. It’s a shame when major surgery takes quite a while to recuperate from especially if like Mrs T they were fit & healthy prior.  This is my worry with my upcoming surgery (also major) I have been taking this last year trying to get back to a healthy size as I lost a lot and looked pretty poorly, my doctor was worried and stated “your fading away infront of my eyes” so I’m hoping I do well, will have to wait and see. I also used to enjoy the cancer research walks aswell and still have the medals I got, I would love to be able to do that again. I was a regular blood donor too every 4 months and had to stop that which I was quite gutted about.

Following the sad news of Prince Phillip today I would like to share my mishap which hopefully gives you a laugh. So some of you may or remember me excitedly saying about planting my pea seeds…..my lovely sweet pea seeds the type that you normally see with you roast dinner once there grown right? Nope wrong….Iv come to the realisation that these “sweet peas” aren’t peas at all! There flowers! Lovely smelling pretty flowers that you don’t see with a roast dinner 🤦‍♀️ Iv now got to purchase some actual pea seeds to plant and remember my ditzy mistake for next year. Oh and my sunflowers – can see them starting to push thru now! 😊 hope your all having a relaxing Friday

#145054 Reply
    Lou

Tharg, loving the pics of Tilly. I noticed her eyeing up your pear tree there 😂 she’s the only dog Iv heard of to literally love pears, I find it nice how they all have there own characters. My brother in laws mum had a rescue staffie called rumble. He was a big boy most were scared of by his look and the way he would excitedly bound up to you, only to roll onto his back waiting for a tummy tickle lol I always have him a cuddle he was a sweetheart.

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 133 total)
Reply To: Sunflower idea 🌻
Your information: