Sunflower idea 🌻

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143296 Reply
    ajn

I’m thinking of growing a sunflower in memory of anyone who sadly didn’t make it through the virus….

Thing is I have very little knowledge of doing so, is it to late in the year to early, I’ve got a pot, some compost no seed or flower yet..

would anyone else be interested and maybe have updates on our growing experience🌻.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 557 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #143846 Reply
    Lou

Aww that’s sweet, nice that one grows (randomly) aswell.

#143880 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Now, I know these are not sunflowers but thought I’d mention them anyway. We have a big batch of this narcissus at edge of front drive. People stop all the time to admire them. Today a neighbour asked me what type they were. Didn’t know but Google helped and they are the variety known as Avalanche – putting out several blooms from one stem and with a super scent.

#143896 Reply
    ajn

That look great Tharg, well done..

🌻   SUNFLOWER UPDATE  🌻

We have growth..

#143898 Reply
    ajn

@Lou you were right with the paper towel way, I’ve now transfered them to pots… I think they are the reds 🌸👍🌻

#143899 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i moved in here in oct and so far all ive done is add to the planters i brought with me from the last place.

however the back of the house has had nowt done except the “grass” cut for some time.

heres the front

now not great photos as sun in wrong place but you get the idea this is the back

as you can see there is a “path” down the middle ish but the initial plan is to tackle the right hand side with the drain cover in it this year. as i reckon its going to take some time lol.

wish me luck, i will put some sunflowers in the first raised bed i get built.

#143902 Reply
    ajn

Certainly it enough space Mitch, well done..

#143903 Reply
    ajn

*got not it 🌻

#143904 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

My pack of seeds is said to be arriving today. Will then have to work out how to do ’em. I refuse to believe that that is a snap of seeds on a towel. I think “ajn” is the secret identity of the new and evil professor Quatermass and those are hyper-intelligent megaseeds which you have brought through a wormhole to assist in taking over the world!

#143909 Reply
    ajn

@Tharg😂😂, these seeds placed in the paper towel folded about four times, soaked and placed on another paper wet towel folded for times, place front window sun most of the day,

However nothing from the same seeds placed directly into pots the same day as the paper towel method..👍🌻,

I’m chuffed 🙂

#144346 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Let the record show – six pairs of sunflower seeds planted in plastic pot-tray in seed compost today. Watered, Spoken to encouragingly. Stashed in sunniest part of kitchen (sun from dawn to about 5pm) and built like a greenhouse. Living in hope…

#144349 Reply
    Lou

Love your avalanche flowers tharg, really nice & healthy looking. I bet they smell lovely too! Can’t wait to see your sunflowers!

ajn yours have done well…now is the fun part watching them grow in the pots (my apple seeds have sprouted in the fridge! 😳 I’m talking leaves an all) My seeds have finally arrived as well as all my eco pots & drain tray, il get some compost tomorrow so I can finally get them all potted and set to go.

So Iv got 2 types of sunflower seeds, the giant tall one and then the Titan bird tray sunflower type. Iv got strawberry sticks (the leaves are also edible) and some bowling ball carrot seeds oh and lots and lots of cress. The red pepper seeds didn’t grow so I gave up on that. Still can’t believe Iv got 5 sprouted apple seeds from regular shop brought apples 😊

#144350 Reply
    Lou

Mitch your front garden is looking great, really nice & neat. The back garden is going to look good too in due course (I look forward to the progress and end result) 🌻😊

#144420 Reply
    Lou

Afternoon you lovely lot, I can’t finally say Iv got 5 lovely baby sproutlings (apple seeds) potted and already a decent size, some cress & Titan sunflower seeds on the go, il be potting up some strawberry sticks & carrot ball seeds shortly too 😊 my window sill os going to be full! I also have some wildflower seed to pot aswell, hope you all enjoying this gorgeous Easter weather. Adios amigos 🙋🏻‍♀️

#144421 Reply
    Lou

Woops I mean I CAN finally say 🤦‍♀️

#144431 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Lou – how wonderfully industrious of you! Wish I could say the same but only gardening today was hauling out my “Brunel” mower (1950s cast iron pusher which looks like Isambard K designed it). Put over lawn for first time to give a proper cut – no electric thingeys! Next garden jobs are getting tomato seeds under way and choosing and getting hanging pots for the six wall brackets I stuck on the front of house – had nasturtiums in window boxes last year. Quite good. D’you think they’d work in hanging baskets?

#144439 Reply
    Lou

I can’t even lift the lawnmower it’s far too big & heavy (a petrol one)…..i would probably end up killing myself with an electric one – I’m a clutz! My dads friend is doing the toms for us and will deliver them when they are ready to be planted….to be perfectly honest with you, I can’t see why they wouldn’t work. They may need a bit of bamboo stick to climb up (with a little string tie for stability) but otherwise I would say go for it. My dad built fence hung planters for the tomato plants so il be doing pretty much the same as yourself, I think strawbs would do better in a hanging basket (depending on type) but you also have the risk of our feathered friends. Which is why I’m trying the Snow White variant of strawbs 🙂

#144583 Reply
    ajn

#144584 Reply
    ajn

#144585 Reply
    ajn

#144586 Reply
    ajn

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻UPDATE🌻🌻🌻🌻

#144593 Reply
    ajn

#144600 Reply
    Lou

Blimey ajn yours are coming along nicely, look really healthy 😊

#144602 Reply
    ajn

The window to the front of the house has sun almost all day Lou, moves of to the side about 5pm ish, some seeds haven’t sprouted, however I’ve got a few 👍🌻🌻

#144603 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

You’ve got a result there, ajn! Mine show no sign of popping up but they’ve only had a couple of days. Tomato seeds going in tomorrow, hopefully.  Won’t be planting strawb’s, Lou. Whatever the colour they are too tempting for birds (and dog!).  Have a few wild ones safely in front garden; very sharp taste but incredibly aromatic,

#144605 Reply
    Lou

Oh nice them wild ones sound good, not often you see them around unless your rural. Mine are on the kitchen windowsill as that’s where they get the most sunlight (I think Iv turned them twice already) am still waiting on carrot balls, strawberry sticks, sweet peas and some sunflowers. The raspberry bushes are finally showing some leaves…have got good healthy leaves on my white strawberry plant but no flowering yet and still awaiting the tomato plants and some other veg ones 😊 Tharg I worry often about the birds with the strawberries, Iv been thinking about getting netting but the birds are will probably still get them, that’s funny that your dog likes to sneak them aswell 😂

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 557 total)
Reply To: Reply #145528 in Sunflower idea 🌻
Your information: