Sunflower idea 🌻

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143296 Reply
    ajn

I’m thinking of growing a sunflower in memory of anyone who sadly didn’t make it through the virus….

Thing is I have very little knowledge of doing so, is it to late in the year to early, I’ve got a pot, some compost no seed or flower yet..

would anyone else be interested and maybe have updates on our growing experience🌻.

Viewing 25 replies - 526 through 550 (of 553 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #160187 Reply
    POPS

#160190 Reply
    POPS

I’ve moved to The Malvern Hills this week after living for 40 years in my old home. It seems strange but I’ll get used to it, lol. I’m now living with one of my sons and my daughter in law and grandchildren in a rambling 1930’s house with approximately one acre of gardens There will be plenty of space for sunflowers next year and we can start them off in the greenhouse.

A quick photo of part of our new front garden, taken between rain showers.  The road is up behind the tall trees.

#160191 Reply
    POPS

#160193 Reply
    Lou

Tharg your sunflowers are huge! They have grown an impressive height haven’t they? Well done, I must admit I do quite like the look of the razor plant, is it one you have grown yourself from smaller? The wind has been terrible hasnt it? My one free standing sunflower has so far withheld the gales (the others are stabilized to bamboo), giant heavy pots & furniture have been rearranged…the rain is like someones sliced thru the clouds and allowed a river to fall from the sky! I hope your prematurely shortened sunflower will carry on thriving and your hanging baskets recover.

POPs you have a gorgeous garden, I bet its nice and peaceful to relax in during the warm weather?

#160201 Reply
    POPS

When the sun shines as it did on Monday and Tuesday it’s a glorious place to be Lou. Even today with the rain sheeting down I can sit outside under cover and enjoy the view. It’s very peaceful as I can’t hear any traffic noise. The only sound is of children playing and birds singing.

#160226 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

POPS Lovely place. Quite a view. Mega sunflower propped back up yesterday. Storm force again out there. Hope the big chap gets through the day!

The Slasher Palm was here when we moved in. Has to keep being trimmed, otherwise you lose large lumps of hand/forearm when mowing the lawn!

#160245 Reply
    joss

Pops, Talk about living in Shangri-La from the novel, Lost Horizon.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160250 Reply
    Lou

POPs that sounds bliss, I used to visit friends out in the sticks (you wouldnt even know there was a bungalow there) and it was a totally different way of life…not a supermarket or even corner shop for miles. The wildlife was nice to see and the people were friendlier, were very lucky to have such beautiful green landscapes especially when its our gardens!

Tharg that sounds pretty scary, gale force winds with me also but they have been somewhat constant. Am hoping your sunflower holds out until the wind eases

#160260 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Wind has moderated at last. Mr Big Sunflower survives albeit at 45 degrees to vertical. Must find serious stick to support him. Stuff suffering in rest of garden: hanging baskets took a hit, leaves frazzled; half our tomatoes are dead. Having to water like mad. Although it’s rained, the wind just dries everything out instantly and need replenishing.

#160507 Reply
    ajn

Originals cut down for seed next year(yes I enjoyed it so much), the rest going to the birds, great pics on here, hope all is well with everyone, giants still gianting to the sky.

Just an update stay safe ..

#160546 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Nice to have you back, ajn. Weather finally moderated enough for me to get a snap of Mr Big. Now around 10ft tall although only some 6ft above ground level on account of the wind damage. Just had to get a snap of one of his blooms. What a wonderful colour…

Mrs Bumble Bee being busy, too! Baskets and boxes recovering from storms; really quite pleased with them this year. LOADSacolour!

#160547 Reply
    ajn

Brilliant snaps there Tharg, Thanks for sharing them sunflower looking amazing, here to mine are doing well…

Im not spending so much time on the forum Tharg, it sometimes can get a bit, well I’m not too sure tbh..

I find occasional visits will suit me better.

#162943 Reply
    Lou

Wow Tharg your flowers bloomed beautifully! They are really lovely photos, ajn you done really well with yours too! Believe it or not mine has only just started to show signs of a bud, its grown in height but still just a bud lol

The carrot balls have grown nicely, the toms are just starting to go red and there is loads altho its from 3 giant full plants, the cucumbers are starting to come along too. As for the strawberries….they were a no show sadly but the raspberries have been quite yummy and not made it to the bowl woops!

I hope you are all keeping well and have been enjoying the better weather 🙂 Tharg if i can get over to my relatives house and note down a list of all the records he has kept, would it be alright to type them up here for you to have a scan thru? (please – if you are happy to?) Im ringing the hospital tomorrow to book my surgery so hope to get the list done before the op as I will be grounded for a while afterwards.

#162944 Reply
    Lou

Sorry it appears a family member has been and collected the majority of the house contents but I will double check just incase. My apologies tharg

#162946 Reply
    ajn

The fruits of summer thinking of @Tilly guess at what stage 🙂

#162947 Reply
    ajn

#162965 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Lou, no prob’s. Happy to scan a list if you’ve still got ’em. Hope your hospital stuff goes OK. Keep in touch and stay safe.

#162979 Reply
    Lou

Thanks Tharg thats very much appreciated, will do! Hope yourself and Mrs T are keeping well. Ajn wow wow wow, now im jealous! What type of apples are they? They all look so good, Tilly would be on cloud 9 at the sight of them pears

#163026 Reply
    ajn

Lou I haven’t a clue what variety they are sorry, they taste great though, pears slightly hard but a few days off the tree should soften them( Mrs ajn will pouch them otherwise), also the plums are lovely, and we did have  plum cake type sponge thing cooked with them too, apple pies will be soon too..

Hope hospital appointments for you and any others go well..

#163033 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

They look great, ajn. Our pears are well developed. Still as hard as stone, though. Take about two weeks in fruit bowl to become edible. Tilly, however, prefers them in “brick” form. Can hear them being crunched from miles away! Actually got some apples this year from a cooking apple tree which has languished for past few years. Pretty decent quality. Will be making a DIY apple sauce for the pork joint tomorrow.

#163064 Reply
    ajn

Excellent Tharg, must admit every time is scroll passed the hanging baskets you have, I admire the colours, I think they are great, very nice 👍

#163167 Reply
    Lou

I second that ajn, you have both had good results this year altho i must admit iv never heard of a plum cake. I did use to have an apple tree in the garden (im talking well over 30-40yrs old) and it always produced silly amounts of large cooking apples, lovely in a crumble with the home grown rhubarb and other things. Im still currently waiting on sunflower to flower but the buds are slowly becoming more visible, feels like its taking al year!

My hospital results werent great and im due to book in the major surgery that iv been waiting on for a full year, looks like my years going to end with a slow recovery rather than the usual festive build up but it is what it is. I hope everyones doing alright and getting on ok with medical appointments/treatments. Love to Tilly – dog 🙂

#163173 Reply
    ajn

Lou Mrs ajn enjoys lots of baking, cooking always have, anything she makes don’t last long🤣..

When she starts her cake baking, guaranteed visit from my Daughter and car full of friends all in for coffee and what’s on offer, she still receives requests for her Welsh cakes/bake stones from neighbours at our old address, we moved 20yrs ago..

The plum doings/cake would be easier to explain as a plum, cinnamon, almond type sponge type, it’s very moorish until gone😳, custard too..

#163174 Reply
    ajn

#163187 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Oh my! Those fruits (and tarte) look just amazing. Got a few cookers this year plus the pears of course. Did favourite pear dessert tonight: slowly poach pears in red wine with a dash of amaretto. Takes about one and a half hours. Serve hot with a good splash of its juice and topped with ice cream (chocolate flavour is perfect). Can’t eat it myself, but love to cook it for Mrs T.

Sorry your medical stuff is fraught, Lou. Sure it’ll get better. Tilly send her regards, in between eating the pears of course. Take care. Stay safe, everybody! 😊

Viewing 25 replies - 526 through 550 (of 553 total)
Reply To: Sunflower idea 🌻
Your information: