Sunflower idea 🌻

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143296 Reply
    ajn

I’m thinking of growing a sunflower in memory of anyone who sadly didn’t make it through the virus….

Thing is I have very little knowledge of doing so, is it to late in the year to early, I’ve got a pot, some compost no seed or flower yet..

would anyone else be interested and maybe have updates on our growing experience🌻.

Viewing 25 replies - 476 through 500 (of 507 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #158033 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Had a view similar to that in a previous house. It was a 1 acre orchard (last bit of ancient 30 acre plot.) Lots of rare and delicious apples. High on the north downs near Sevenoaks with a clear view across the valley to Biggin Hill and beyond. Brilliant sunsets and great airshows (if I could find the really strong binoculars).

#158074 Reply
    POPS

I was born in Carshalton a few miles from Biggin Hill, and the countryside outside the built up areas is very attractive.

#158186 Reply
    ajn

Morning, sunflower heads all bowed down due the heavy rain, heavy heads to I guess..

#158334 Reply
    ajn

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻
    Quick update @Tharg, Lou anyone else reading we have a yellow opening giant sunflower.. saw from the above window, can’t see it from the ground the leaves seem to be covering it at the moment and it’s so tall..

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

#158366 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

My little chaps flowering madly, Will try to get a snap later. πŸ“·πŸŒ»

#158384 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Here you go…

#158390 Reply
    ajn

Wooooe Tharg they’re brilliant, bright full flowers, Well Done they look great

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»

(it feels great Tharg don’t it, seeing them grow from seed)

#158559 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Certainly is a nice area, POPS. Used to live is a place called Knockholt just a couple of miles from Biggin. Walk out on the old footpaths and it was like a trip back in time, you could be miles away from any sign of civilisation within minutes, I swear there were some tiny bits of the ancient forest still there.

The other place, the one with the views, was a tiny village called Well Hill on top of North Downs just along from Sevenoaks. That really was a time trip. Two pubs, no shops, a church which was largely a cast-iron walled shed. No gas. No mains drainage (came in later). Old, old houses. The view was clear all the way to Crystal Palace and my very old neighbour had actually watched the huge fire there in 1936 (?).

#159310 Reply
    Lou

Good afternoon everyone,

I hope you have all been able to enjoy the lovely warm weather (a bit too suffocating tho!) Tharg your picture above looks great! I think iv missed out on so much of this thread, Im still down with tech issues unfortunately. How have you all been doing? Im going to have a look through the thread in a minute to catch up, believe it or not I am still waiting for my sunflowers to even show a bud! There growing very tall very fast tho, iv seen a couple of the white strawberries fruiting finally and well the regular strawberries have sort of been consumed πŸ™‚

My carrots are almost ready to pull which is a first for me and the strawberry sticks are starting to fruit but there covered in aphids erghhh they must be tasty! The tomatoes havent started to produce yet but it wont be long judging by the flowering thats going on.

And i will finish this off with a high of…..my dealer contacted me this afternoon very excited and informed me my car should be arriving this week with a collection date for next Friday! I may have jumped the gun a little but iv already booked in the medical appointments i so desperately need so I hope the date will stick for collection.Β  I ordered at the beginning of May so all in all its taken the projected time which is great.

I hope you all stay safe and hydrated in this heat and dont forget to enjoy your ice cream!

#159311 Reply
    Lou

POPS your garden is absolutely beautiful! Everyone’s messages here have been so kind & touching, thankyou to you all it really means a lot. Ajn how are your sunflowers doing now? I saw you had to dehead some…I wonder what caused the petals to drop.

I cant believe mine are the last ones to flower even tho planting was probably the same period of everyone on this thread, all i seem to do is water chunky leafy stems! Hows Tilly dog doing Tharg?

#159332 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Oh, Lou – so happy to have you back with us. 😊 Tilly-dog is doing fine, thank you. Most of our time is at present spent on garden – keeping all the greedy tom’s, fuchsias, mad window boxes and baskets topped up. Twice a day for some of them!

Hope you do get the new motor as soon as you expect. I really do know how impossible life can be without one. Send pics when you’re mobile. Will try to get the crazy pooch to keep still long enough to get some new snaps!

#159347 Reply
    Lou

πŸ™‚ Il try to get on here when I am able to, am pleased to hear Tilly – dog is keeping well. It sounds like all your plants are thriving (your sunflowers certainly look incredible and huge!) I know what you mean with keeping them well watered, especially at the moment. We are apparently due another 2 week heatwave from Aug 2nd, not sure I can handle much more lol.

Thanks Tharg im looking forward to collecting it and getting used to all the features, my dealer has been absolutely fantastic from the very start which im so grateful for! I will do my best to indulge you all in some photos when I am able to, I look forward to Tilly – dog pics, I quite simply adore her and her love of pears. Best wishes to Mrs Tharg

#159374 Reply
    ajn

Hello Lou, glad to hear things are ok, this post is coming slowly to an end for me as the sunflowers reach into maturity..

I’ll post some pics taken this morning as an update in celebration of your return..

I thing you were missed by Tharg, Tilly & I πŸ˜‚..

Congrats on the car news I’ll look out for any pics posted..

#159375 Reply
    ajn

The canes are 10 foot long, I’m 6’3 so you can see the very tall one has come on great, hope everyone enjoyed their time here even if it was just a visit..

Stay safe

#159420 Reply
    Lou

Hi ajn, how are you doing? They are some great photos especially seeing the bees enjoying the sunflowers. Blimey yours are tall! Im 5ft 4 and my canes are a little taller, the sunflowers are almost at the full height of the canes but going by your sizes i think mine may still have some way to go.

Ah thanks ajn, iv missed everyone that iv come to talk to and this thread particularly….& Tilly- dog photos πŸ™‚ she will always put a smile on my face love her. I hope you have been keeping well and been able to enjoy the warmer weather.

#159449 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Actually managed to get a few snaps of Tilly-dog. Here she is in her morning, “sofa armrest” mode:

More later when I’ve time to resize small enough to stop them bunging up the site!

#159477 Reply
    Lou

Awww bless her heart! Just want to give her a big cuddle, she looks so cozy…and im smiling ear to ear <3

#159488 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. She gets us like that too. So delighted to have made you smile. More snaps soon.

#159620 Reply
    Lou

Hows everyones Friday been? My delivery date has been pushed back due to delivery delays πŸ™ and after waiting little over a year for a pain clinic referral plus a current 6 week wait for the first appointment, Iv just been informed that I will be getting an appointment letter in a cool…….40 odd weeks. I think that works out around 9 months? Im still positive that the balls rolling and il eventually be seen, all our plants are going to have a good watering from the incoming weather. Anyway i do hope you all enjoy your weekend, Tharg i look forward to Tilly – dog pics

#159701 Reply
    ajn

We’re all done here, what great flowers and efforts Thanks all 🌻🌼🌼🌸🌸 

#159705 Reply
    Lou

Lovely pic ajn, hope you still pop in for the chit chat. Well done with your flowers, I think this has been a really good result all round and such a nice & thoughtful thread for you to of started. Thankyou for helping to keep my spirits up and giving me something to enjoy over the months.

#159710 Reply
    joss

Well done everyone. You made a great success with this Thread.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159712 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@joss Thanks, mate. We try our best 🌻😊

@Lou First, couldn’t resist posting this snap of our Morning Glory. Grown from seed by Mrs T, it is just so spectacularly other-worldly. Like something from the land of Faerie, planted by Elf Queen after all!

#159714 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

And now, more Tilly… This is her “plane-spotting” pose. The sound of fast jets, the mighty Chinook and the glorious Spitfire modulation have no effect. But there’s one funny sounding little home-build that putters across the sky and gets her attention every time!

#159716 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Bugger, forgot the original reason for posting here – wanted to say you have our sympathies on the NHS waiting list. We both had to same problem, with neurological appt (nine months NHS) and Pain Clinic (a year or more). We are lucky to be able afford to go private. Only way to get much needed help. I believe the delays are made intentionally as part of the scheme to do away with the NHS and hand it all over to Boris’s mates who will make billions taking it into private hands. Absolute disgrace. But the Daily Mail thinks it’s a good idea so it must be right!

Also, sorry about delay to your car. Got same problem, my T-ROC build date gone back a month already. What car did you order?

Viewing 25 replies - 476 through 500 (of 507 total)
Reply To: Sunflower idea 🌻
Your information: