Sunflower idea ๐ŸŒป

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143296 Reply
    ajn

Iโ€™m thinking of growing a sunflower in memory of anyone who sadly didnโ€™t make it through the virus….

Thing is I have very little knowledge of doing so, is it to late in the year to early, Iโ€™ve got a pot, some compost no seed or flower yet..

would anyone else be interested and maybe have updates on our growing experience๐ŸŒป.

Viewing 25 replies - 351 through 375 (of 434 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #154830 Reply
    Lou

You have greener fingers than myself – Iโ€™m still budless! I have also been seeing spotty yellowing of the leaves & have lost some too. I now water from top to bottom like yourself as they are outside in beds but I think (despite the leaf loss) they still look relatively healthy and are growing fresh new leaves which can only be a good sign. My sunflowers are still on the upwards crawl with no sign of buds or flowering ๐Ÿ˜ฉ hopefully something will happen soon! ๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒป

#154833 Reply
    ajn

Absolutely drenched mine today, they seemed to love it, I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve taken into account how much sun they have been getting, I think I seem to be to much or to little..

Iโ€™m going for the little but often approach next ๐Ÿ‘

๐ŸŒป

#154835 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Been watering a little every day. Still only buds in the buddha’s three plants. No sign of the buds doing anything like opening. Been well busy in garden these last few days. Tom’s planted out and seem to be doing OK. Hanging baskets hung and developing albeit slowly. Loads of fuchsias in different states of play and they really are the stars of the show. All developing lovely flowers.

#154837 Reply
    Lou

You have been busy Tharg, your plants sound like there all coming along nicely now. Have the ones that werenโ€™t doing too well perked up with the sun? I think Iโ€™m the only one that has no buds lol I watered mine twice a day (morning & eve) but have now narrowed it down to just the once unless the weathers been very hot. I have got some broad beans this afternoon which will need planting tomorrow.

Im still quite unwell (feel like death warmed up!) temp spike all day 38+ and still barely got a voice, just feel poorly thru to my bones and have barely left my bed ๐Ÿ˜•

I do hope you have all been enjoying the warm weather today ๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒป

#154839 Reply
    ajn

You are having a terrible time of it by the sounds of it Lou, Iโ€™m sure all the flowers will bloom, tbh I see the buds/flowers as a team effort, so we all have got them in my eyes..

Thought I would have got fed up by now and given up, but for the reason started itโ€™s a must, and tbh Iโ€™m enjoying it.. ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ

#154840 Reply
    ajn

Fushas @Tharg they can go I hang ing baskets yes, reason I ask, we have 3 baskets alongside our bird feeders with winter pansys (I think there past it now).

Might try these fusha things you mention, we have had dangly tomatoes, dangly strawbs, oh and some other thing I canโ€™t remember..

Are fushsa easy growing..

#154841 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

fuchias are great and easy to grow, you can get hardy shrubs to plant in borders or trailing fuchias for hanging baskets they tend to be tender so will need over wintering in a greenhouse.

there are allsorts from dainty single flowers to huge double american flowers that really put on a show.

#154842 Reply
    ajn

Thanks for the info mitch, trailing that sounds better than dangly ๐Ÿ˜‚..

๐ŸŒป

#154843 Reply
    Lou

Awake again coughing till Iโ€™m sick and no sign of voice ๐Ÿ˜ฉ except a croak, getting fed up of it & tired.

I think itโ€™s more fun and interesting to do when itโ€™s shared (even virtually) I have found the photos and comparisons good. Il admit I had reservations like yourself ajn but Iv also really quite enjoyed all of it on the whole – especially the tilly pear pics ๐Ÿถ ย The tips and advice from everyone comes in so useful – even the dangly sort ๐Ÿ˜‚ I think you will do great with fuschias aswell and hope/look forward to the progress. ๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒป

#154845 Reply
    ajn

Arrhhh yes Tilly and the pears, now those pics really have brightened up down days through the growing process..

Did you try the salt water gargling, mentioned by Tharg, Lou.

Coughing with a raw throat, sickness too must be agonising, antibiotics maybe.

๐ŸŒป

#154851 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well, ajn, Mitch has beaten me to an answer about fuchsias. Easy to grow and a great variety of forms. It’s like Fuchsia City down here. We’ve got some big bush monsters in the garden beds; 6ft tall and more; they become a great blaze of colour in flower. Some new “tree” ones which go to about 2ft or more in pots and some new ones in hanging baskets. Some have to come in for winter or at least be wrapped up against the frost. We thought we’d lost a couple to frost this year; they died back to twigs but are now stuffing up new growth.

Lou – so sorry you’re still feeling crock. Do hope that the sunny weather might be helping a bit. Take it easy.ย  Reckon ajn is right about the antibiotics.

#154865 Reply
    ajn

๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒป ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

#154869 Reply
    Lou

Ajn Iv tried everything including gargling salt water, going thru paracetamol like sweeties for the high temp which is just about holding it at bay (for now). I donโ€™t mind the coughing or being sick but itโ€™s what comes up when I cough that I hate, itโ€™s painful and difficult to swallow a drink (feels like my throats closing up). Def think Iโ€™m going to need antibiotics for this one ๐Ÿ‘Ž

ah Tilly pear I reckon sheโ€™s being soaking up all the rays and enjoying herself, sheโ€™s certainly brightened my days up thatโ€™s for sure.

Your sunflower ๐Ÿ˜ณ Iโ€™m starting to see hints of colour! Maybe itl flower sooner than the next few weeks ๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ‘

Tharg I didnโ€™t realise there were that many different variety of fuschias! Your ones sound good, would love to see them. Am surprised at the ones that can grow to 2ft! Hope you all have a lovely sunny midweek ๐Ÿ™‚

#154870 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Will try to do some snaps this afternoon.

#154875 Reply
    ajn

Maybe a Tharg fushia thread, guest star Tilly, when available..

Loving the trailing ones in baskets idea.๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒฑ๐Ÿชด๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒบ

#154876 Reply
    ajn

Weโ€™re in the wars here to, just had a mri scan on the bonce again, not nice..

Mrs Ajn treating me to our fav takeaway..

#154877 Reply
    ajn

Lou that throat must be a nightmare, medication should help, has to be the right one though..

#154881 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

And so, by popular demand… basket with (potentially) trailing fuchsias…

They’ve only been up there for a week or so. We hope they’ll trail a good deal more!

#154886 Reply
    ajn

Oh Tharg thatโ€™s made me want some..

#154887 Reply
    ajn

Loving the ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡ ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบholders too๐Ÿ‘

#154898 Reply
    Lou

Hope the results come back alright ajn, I was suppose to have mine by phone consultation but they changed it to face to face ๐Ÿ˜• Iโ€™m confident itโ€™s not too bad tho as they donโ€™t seem rushed.

Tharg they look lovely! There going to smell good when they have bloomed, going by the fullness of your baskets I would definitely reckon they will be trailing nicely ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks I feel a little better tonight but still coughing up mouthfuls โ˜น๏ธ No spike in temp tho which is a positive sign, unfortunately itโ€™s now ripping thru everyone in the household.

๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒป

#154899 Reply
    ajn

Arrrhhh the old I do feel better thing, slightly better than feeling terrible I guess Lou..

I do it all the time saying yeah I feel better today, just to stop others around me ย feeling gloomy…

Atleast here we can vent our pains or concerns amongst others who know the ups and downs of conditions..

Its okay to share your thoughts, feelings or concerns here Lou, sometimes easier, or just a break from others around us…

I do hope you feel better though, however donโ€™t feel the need just to say it, or feel ย you have too, because the great thing here is you donโ€™t have too๐Ÿ‘..

๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

#154917 Reply
    ajn

ย  ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผmajor update๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ

Mrs ajn was concerned of the yellowing of leaves, said my pot choice might have been to small..๐Ÿฅบ

Ive repotted into a bigger pot (or should say my Son have)..

pics will show the process ๐Ÿ˜ณ

#154918 Reply
    ajn

#154919 Reply
    ajn

Viewing 25 replies - 351 through 375 (of 434 total)
Reply To: Sunflower idea ๐ŸŒป
Your information: