Summer Energy Cost/Usuage

• Creator
    Topic
  • #187654 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Monthly gas billed just arrived £24.65, our heating is switched off, this just for hot water ?cant what for the winter and the gas hike ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #187655 Reply
    joss
    1. Today’s balance
      £520.46 in creditUnderstanding your balance (opens in new window)

Account number:XXXXXXX
      OVO Interest Reward (opens in new window) :5%

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by joss.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by joss.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#187658 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Our gas usage is only 220.32 kWh, fortunately we recently had solar panels fitted to date we have used approximately 155 kWh of electric the majority charging up the PHEV off peak

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#188325 Reply
    Rico
    Participant
    1. Today’s balance £520.46 in creditUnderstanding your balance (opens in new window) Account number:XXXXXXX OVO Interest Reward (opens in new window) :5%

is that total for whole month, I am at 101 electric for may and 16.22 for gas electric was only 300.47 kw and gas was 108.21kw  with them prices.

#188336 Reply
    joss

@Rico Yes for the whole month. That is 3 Adults and 2 cats.

Joss

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#188337 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

so you used 30kw more than me on electric but a whole £45 cheapear 🙁

#188342 Reply
    joss

so you used 30kw more than me on electric but a whole £45 cheapear 🙁

@Rico
    Yes. That is because I am still on fixed 2 year deal I took out before all this Shoit 💩 hit da fan.

Joss

#188362 Reply
    struth
    Participant

my leccy is about 90 a month at moment doh! gas is a lot less usually fortunately. im going to be reducing my usage before the next hike if possible. one of freezers may go for start.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#188956 Reply
    Jojoe
    Participant

Our cheap fixed tariff finishes at the end of June. British Gas offered us a fixed deal till July 2023, it takes into account the supposed £500/600 rise in the price cap for October. I’m not going to bother with it as it would mean paying a lot more for July, August and September, than I would pay if I was on the standard tariff.

Already planning the efficiency savings for the winter. A clothes airer in the conservatory and Hive thermostat controlled radiator valves so we only heat the rooms when we use them. You can set them up on the app to come off and on when you need them, on an individual room basis, it means we can heat the bedroom half hour before we go to bed and half hour before we get up.

#188961 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Hive thermostat controlled radiator valves so we only heat the rooms when we use them

Why don’t you save your money and fit if you don’t have normal TRV’s and switch the one down to frost protection in the rooms you don’t use. liquid filled TRV’s react to to temperature fluctuations faster.

It is also worth turning the DHW/CH temperatures down at the boiler: turning the DHW temp down to just above the temperature you have a shower at will save, even turning the heating down to 55-60c will still heat your home.

#188966 Reply
    Jojoe
    Participant

Why don’t you save your money and fit if you don’t have normal TRV’s and switch the one down to frost protection in the rooms you don’t use. liquid filled TRV’s react to to temperature fluctuations faster.

Standard TRV’s are fine, but you forget to turn them down. With the Hive ones you can set them on a timer so you know they won’t be left on. The Hive heating in general has saved us money on gas as you are more likely to turn the heating off/down if you can do it from the app on your phone, for example if heating comes on at weekend and you’re still in bed, you grab the phone and turn it off.

#188974 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

@Jojoe

I have thought of getting hive radiator thermostats as I have a couple of rooms that are colder than others. I spoke to a man from British Gas and he said for them to work it needs to be the other way around, ie a couple of hot rooms for them to be effective. I have to be honest he left me scratching my head.

#188978 Reply
    Jojoe
    Participant

wmcforumWhich Mobility Car

@Jojoe

I have thought of getting hive radiator thermostats as I have a couple of rooms that are colder than others. I spoke to a man from British Gas and he said for them to work it needs to be the other way around, ie a couple of hot rooms for them to be effective. I have to be honest he left me scratching my head.

I think the British Gas man is thinking along the lines of saving money. You’d save money by making an unused room cooler. I’m not an expert, but I can’t see why they wouldn’t make your rooms warmer. You’d probably get a different answer if you asked a different BG engineer.

#188985 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Thank you @Jojoe. It’s a big investment as we do not presently have TVR’s on the radiators so it’s not just a plug and play situation. I will keep reading and keep asking. Thanks again.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Summer Energy Cost/Usuage
Your information: