suitable car for a really large person

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by steve dinnen.
  • Creator
    Topic
    cheezluiz
    Participant

hi. im looking for recommendations for a car (or any vehicle) that might accommodate me and some advice if possible. i am 5″11 and weigh in the region of 33 stone. the main issue im having is that my belly is getting in the way of the steering wheel and if i pull the seat back, i cant seem to reach the pedals. i have tried different positions in various cars including a nissan qashqai, landrover discovery, vw tiguan, renault megane and a ford fiesta all with the same issue. ideally i’d like a car where the seating is low and the steering wheel is high. ive considered buying a van because of this reason but i would prefer a car.  i am in reciept of esa and pip for mental health issues and dont qualify for the mobility scheme but i have been advised that i might need pedal extensions. can anyone point me in the right direction or where to go from here? whether it be a a suitable car or someone to contact regarding car adaptions in the south yorkshire area. i need to get on the road asap so i can go pick my daughter up on a regular basis. she ives 30m miles away. thank you

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Philjb

Have you searched on line for car adaptation companies there are many that offer free assessments.
        No idea on cost etc.
        As for a car for a large person you want to look at cars like the Skoda superb later cars should have a flat bottom steering wheel that might help?  it offers about the biggest interior space for sensible money.

joss

Hi Cheezluis

Here are a few car, mobility adaptation companies within 15-20 range of Doncaster. I hope these help you in your search.

1.O H Mobility  http://www.oh-mobility.co.uk/
          15 miles  to your search
          Call O H Mobility on 01484 400795
          01484 400795

2. Clark & Partners Ltd  http://clarkandpartners.co.uk/
          15 miles  to your search
          Closed – Opens at 09:00 Monday
          Call Clark & Partners Ltd on 0114 229 3399
          0114 229 3399
          Access Adaptations
          Driving Adaptations
          Stowage Adaptations

3. AIC Chesterfield  https://taic.co.uk/
          22 miles  to your search
          Closed – Opens at 09:00 Monday
          Call AIC Chesterfield on 01246 733733
          01246 733733
          Access Adaptations
          Driving Adaptations
          Stowage Adaptations

Joss
          Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Abercol
          Participant

Some MPV’s have high steering wheel/low seat, I am 5’10, short of leg (29″) and large of belly and found the C4 Spacetourer and my S-Max have plenty of adjustment.

The Rifter/Berlingo vehicles may also be the same & can be had for less cash.

MPV’s have a lower floor than an SUV but a similar ride height = more adjustability.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

cheezluiz
            Participant

thanks for the replies guys. i tested a skoda superb, a volvo v40 and a ford s-max this week. i had the same issue but i do believe i could comfortably drive each car with pedal extensions. i have a guy ringing me tomorrow to discuss my needs. thanks for the advice and the info.

joss

Please keep us updated with what car you get and what mods you got. Good luck cheezluiz

Joss
                Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

steve dinnen

Hi I am rather large 6ft 2 and weigh 25 stone I have a ford connect the 7 seater one they are massive inside

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.