State Pension

• Creator
    Topic
  • #183261 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

I’ll be retiring on Friday and will be 60 the following Monday, I’ll be two years short of national insurance contributions, stamp duty, to get the full state pension at 67, due to the rule changes in 2016. I understand that if I claim the carers allowance for our daughter my stamp duty will be paid, it’s currently claimed by my wife who has spare years to make up her full state pension.

Has anyone ever changed who claims the carers allowance and if so how is it done?

Thanks for any help.

Daughters motability car SEAT Arona 1.6 diesel manual Excellence Lux.
    My car SEAT Ibiza SE Tec 1.2 petrol TSI 2017.
    Motability car on order Vauxhall Grandland 1.5 diesel automatic Ultimate.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #183279 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

I’ll be retiring on Friday and will be 60 the following Monday, I’ll be two years short of national insurance contributions, stamp duty, to get the full state pension at 67, due to the rule changes in 2016. I understand that if I claim the carers allowance for our daughter my stamp duty will be paid, it’s currently claimed by my wife who has spare years to make up her full state pension. Has anyone ever changed who claims the carers allowance and if so how is it done? Thanks for any help.

Happy retirement for Friday @Marc

As to your question yes My wife claims carers allowance for our daughter and gets a stamp each year as I have the required amount for full state pension.

#183283 Reply
    ajn

I have no idea Marc, however enjoy retirement, time to put the feet up with more time to relax..

#183288 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

I’m turn 67 in June this year, I filled in the “How much Pension Credit will you get” estimator and it said £0

From what I can tell that has to be wrong, I get carers allowance for looking after my adult Autistic son and both Disability and Severe Disability premiums on my current Income Support.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#183294 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Happy retirement for Friday @Marc As to your question yes My wife claims carers allowance for our daughter and gets a stamp each year as I have the required amount for full state pension.

Are you aware that there was a change to the state pension rules on 6th April 2016? I had the full amount of stamps before then.

#183295 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Marc.

#183299 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

I’m turn 67 in June this year, I filled in the “How much Pension Credit will you get” estimator and it said £0 From what I can tell that has to be wrong, I get carers allowance for looking after my adult Autistic son and both Disability and Severe Disability premiums on my current Income Support.

The rules changed on 6th April 2016 and pension credit is being phased out, you should get more than the old basic state pension but you will probably be 2 years short of the new full pension, same as me.

#183302 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Happy retirement for Friday @Marc As to your question yes My wife claims carers allowance for our daughter and gets a stamp each year as I have the required amount for full state pension.

Are you aware that there was a change to the state pension rules on 6th April 2016? I had the full amount of stamps before then.

Last time I checked it showed full state pension 35 stamps. I’m 6 year younger 🙂

But yes swap carers allowance over in your name and you will get the extra stamp you require.

#183303 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Pension Rule Changes

The rules changed on 6th April 2016.

Anyone retiring before 6th April 2016 retired under the old rules

Anyone with a no national insurance record before 6th April 2016 will retire under the new rules.

Everyone else, basically anyone over 22 years old and has yet to reach state pension age will retire under a mixture of old and new.

Under the old rules you needed 30 years of stamps to get full state pension, I actually had 38 years, this will get you £130 odd pounds a week, however if you have no other income from private/company pensions you get pension credit taking this up to £170 odd pounds a week, there was a rise this month so I’m quoting last years figures, but that does not matter the rules are the same.

Under the new rules you need to pay in 35 years and you get one thirty fifth of £170 odd a week for every years worth of stamps, it’s about £5 a week for every year paid in, there is not going to be any pension credit. The idea is every one gets the same state pension relevant to how many years they have paid in and are not ‘punished’ for making provisions for themselves in old age.

Under the mixed rules what you got under the old rules is carried over to the new rules, anyone with 30 or more years starts with £130 odd pounds a week and then build up by around £5 a week for every year paying in to the new scheme, so you need 8 years in the new scheme to get the £170 odd ponds a week, so not until 5th April 2024, hence I’m 2 years short, despite having a 44 year unbroken tally of stamps.

#183304 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Last time I checked it showed full state pension 35 stamps. I’m 6 year younger 🙂 But yes swap carers allowance over in your name and you will get the extra stamp you require.

Are you self employed, I don’t know if that makes a difference.

#183347 Reply
    joss

Switching over carers allowance from one person to another

Hi Mark. I found this article that may help you in the above regard.

Hi Mark. I suggest you ring the carers helpline 0808 808 7777 as you need advice on a number of issues. If you can’t get through email them but they are very busy so may take a couple of days to get back to you. You could also try phoning the DWP benefits line who can offer financial advice. Good luck X

Information on the Carers UK Adviceline: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice

The Carers UK Adviceline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm

Advice line/ phone 0808 808 7777

( it can be hard to get through, so you could email them and ask for a call back.)

Email advice@carersuk.org

PS enjoy your retirement Mark

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#183362 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

I did the State Pension application and it came out at £196.16 p/w

The letter I got from the DWP about Carers Allowance said it was stopping in June but that I should be able to apply for Pension Credit to get the Carers Allowance or Premium.

Form what I’ve been told I should also be able to get the severe disability premium.

#183391 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

I did the State Pension application and it came out at £196.16 p/w The letter I got from the DWP about Carers Allowance said it was stopping in June but that I should be able to apply for Pension Credit to get the Carers Allowance or Premium. Form what I’ve been told I should also be able to get the severe disability premium.

Do you have state earnings related pension SERPS, most people with company/private pensions opted out, I opted out 40 years ago.

#183390 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Switching over carers allowance from one person to another Hi Mark. I found this article that may help you in the above regard. Hi Mark. I suggest you ring the carers helpline 0808 808 7777 as you need advice on a number of issues. If you can’t get through email them but they are very busy so may take a couple of days to get back to you. You could also try phoning the DWP benefits line who can offer financial advice. Good luck X Information on the Carers UK Adviceline: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice The Carers UK Adviceline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm Advice line/ phone 0808 808 7777 ( it can be hard to get through, so you could email them and ask for a call back.) Email advice@carersuk.org PS enjoy your retirement Mark

Switching over carers allowance from one person to another Hi Mark. I found this article that may help you in the above regard. Hi Mark. I suggest you ring the carers helpline 0808 808 7777 as you need advice on a number of issues. If you can’t get through email them but they are very busy so may take a couple of days to get back to you. You could also try phoning the DWP benefits line who can offer financial advice. Good luck X Information on the Carers UK Adviceline: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice The Carers UK Adviceline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm Advice line/ phone 0808 808 7777 ( it can be hard to get through, so you could email them and ask for a call back.) Email advice@carersuk.org PS enjoy your retirement Mark

Thanks for that, I’ll have plenty of time after Friday to look into it, AFAIK I need two more years of stamps in the next seven years to get the full pension.

#183393 Reply
    joss

Any one have link to see what pension I would get from the state ? Thanks in advance.

Joss

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#183400 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

#183403 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

You will need to log in or register.

#184761 Reply
    joss

Thanks for that link @Marc

In the end I gave up as I don’t have a passport for identification. Too  much of a faff. They don’t make it easy.

Update to the above. I rang pensions and it was all sorted in a minuet. 3 days later letter arrived out lining my state pension. Full entitlement of £186. and some change. I also have a pension of 12k

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by joss.

Joss

#184789 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Thanks for the link, I’ve emailed them to see what they say about the pension credit calculation (£0)

#186014 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Emailed Carers UK, they say I should def qualify for an extra £94.69pw

Carers UK (Helpline Service) via carersuk.onmicrosoft.com
    11 May 2022, 03:44 (13 days ago)

to me

Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for your response. If your state pension is going to be £196.16 / week and you have no other income and your savings are £2300, then you will need to make a claim for Pension Credits alongside your state pension:

Essentially for Pension Credits, if  you are single, the Minimum Guarantee Pension Credits will be as follows: Minimum Guarantee £182.60
    Severe Disability Addition £69.40
    Carer Addition £38.85
    Total Minimum Guarantee: £290.85 / week
    Then your income will be taken into consideration:
    State pension (week) 196.16 / week

Your entitlement to Pension Credits (guarantee Credit) will be the difference between the Total Minimum Guarantee and your total Income.

Minimum Guarantee Less Total Income = £290.85  – 196.16 = £94.69 / week

​This means that you will make a claim for Pension Credits alongside your entitlement to your state pension that will include the Severe Disability Addition (SDA) and the Carer Addition if you are a full-time carer as you will retain an underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance in your means-tested benefit claims (i.e. in Pension Credits). You will have a total income as follows:
    State Pension £196.16 / week
    Pension Credits £94.69 / week
    Total Income £290.85 / week

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Reply #183304 in State Pension
Your information: