Sporty cars on motability

• This topic has 71 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by Rene.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #145642 Reply
    Ajh1988
    Participant

What’s the best sporty cars you have found on motability. For me the golf gtd is leading the way just interested to see what other people think

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145716 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

The GTD is not like the Diesel Focus ST in that its setup the same way as it’s petrol versions. The GTD has the standard Golf setup. I think the most sporty has to be the Mini Cooper S and Mazda MX5

GTD has GTI suspension, bigger brakes, trick electronic diff. It is a long way removed from the standard Golf setup.

#145719 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

I think a 7 sec 0-60, a top speed of 153mph and the suspension/ chassis of a Golf GTI constitutes a sporty car. That and 400nm of torque of course which means mid range punch is immense. Some ev’s might be quicker for a very brief period of time but a GTD covers everything. All the above and pushing 60 mpg.

I have virtually the same diesel lump in my Ateca, and despite the obvious grunt, it in no way could be described as being sporty, despite having an irrelevant top speed of 140 mph and 0-60 in just over 7 seconds, in everyday driving a modern EV is much quicker and more economical, and Greta will be smiling at you 🤣

An Ateca is a different beast altogether. An SUV  with good handling for what it is, an SUV. An everyday ev is quicker for a very brief period but after that, not a contender and it’s a question of praying hard when you get to the twisty stuff. Lets remember that something doesn’t have to be a supercar to be considered ‘sporty’.

#145720 Reply
    sif

Sporty is an interesting concept. Same as nippy. What does it mean? Put a 600cc engine in a ferrari and it will still look sporty. Put a 2 litre turbo in a fiat 500 and it will certainly be an interesting ride, maybe sportier than the ferrari. Just think of all those clios running round with bog standard engines that look like stars of the drag or racing circuit. Besides which, if its the driver you want to impress rather than lookers on, does it matter as long as the driver enjoys it. An old lady in a very slow car might find that sporty enough for her. A boy racer in a gti might find it not sporty enough. depends whether you want a wolf in sheep’s clothing or a sheep in wolf’s clothing. All these old fashioned concepts change anyway with the influx of EVs, since as has been pointed out they can blow most fossil fuel cars out of the water if what you want is straight line acceleration. Sporty, like beauty,  is in the eye of the beholder.

#145721 Reply
    Psuader

No diesel has ever been sporty- none. A big lob of mid range torque is not the same as a free-revving petrol engine which zips to 8,000 revs. Diesel ‘sporty’ hatches are for people who think they are sporty but actually they are more keen on saving a bob or two on fuel and get excited about in gear acceleration. Wearing a track suit doesn’t make you athletic!

The only cars on the scheme that I suspect may come close to sporty (though I cannot say for sure as I haven’t test driven them) are Mini’s with the 189 bhp engine and possibly the more powerful BMW petrols. I say this as no fan of BMW group.

#145722 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

No diesel has ever been sporty- none. A big lob of mid range torque is not the same as a free-revving petrol engine which zips to 8,000 revs. Diesel ‘sporty’ hatches are for people who think they are sporty but actually they are more keen on saving a bob or two on fuel and get excited about in gear acceleration. Wearing a track suit doesn’t make you athletic! The only cars on the scheme that I suspect may come close to sporty (though I cannot say for sure as I haven’t test driven them) are Mini’s with the 189 bhp engine and possibly the more powerful BMW petrols. I say this as no fan of BMW group.

True,  and made me laugh 😄

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#145723 Reply
    Georgie

Does the 180bhp Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC Turbo Sport not count for some reason?

#145726 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

I’ve had some fun cars over the years, working as a mechanic in the docks on imports helped, I’ve driven some awesome motors!

I would love to see some sportier cars on the scheme, not for myself, but for those of us who want that type of experience, I’m happy in my qashqui, untill my grandland arrives, it’s more about practicality for us now, we go camping so not only do I want the space for my scooter when needed , I want it for all my gear too. And add roof box and away we go!

But come the time the kids are all grown and fled the nest, it would be nice to have the power under foot , just for fun, by that time it will definitely be a EV , our youngest is only 7 now , EV’s seem to be quite powerful, well some of them

#145727 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Isn’t “sporty” an emotional state of mind?  If a car is fun to drive, it’s sporty. The MX-5 was never particularly fast but hard to argue it’s not “sporty”.

#145729 Reply
    Arthur

@Richard

“GTD has GTI suspension, bigger brakes, trick electronic diff. It is a long way removed from the standard Golf setup.”

I read a new review of the GTD infact it could possibly of been a video review and the GTD doesnt have the same setup as the GTI

#145730 Reply
    Richard

Bit OT on relation to “sporty” but I see some are still thinking in the petrol mindset in relation to EVs. That drive & meeting perfectly doable in the right car & the right frame of mind that hour meeting is more than enough time to put 80% of the charge back into a battery, same as a 45 minute stop for lunch would do.

Ultimately if long driving we should all be taking breaks fact is due to longer & longer ranges we’ve gotten awful at not resting. When I was a field engineer my lunch was often a mscdobakds at 60mph so I know what it’s like.

Imho even my engineer days I reckon a 300 mile range eV would’ve done me everytime on a job I can guarantee most were at least an hour repairing tills, pc’s printers etc so again ample time to top up here/there.

If that mindset isn’t for you then go for Dino juice as long as you can but bear in mind the Ioniq 5 can do 0-80% charge in 18 mins as an example if next gen & that’s before the new batteries hit the market.

We’ve seen so much stuff chopped from the scheme over the years esp after the msm hatchet jobs on “free cars” even worse with the entire car industry going suv crazy.

The gtd isn’t just about being quick or mot it’s the whole package of feeling like it courtesy of the GT bit I guess.

#145731 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I agree with wigwam here. Sporty is whatever you want it to be. A while ago I suggested the new Nissan micra as a possible choice for my mam and she said it looked too sporty. To me, sporty and Nissan micra don’t really go together but if that’s your opinion then nobody else can really argue with it.
    Personally, I think sporty leans more towards looks than speed. Cars can look sporty standing still. Aggressive styling and big alloys are things I’d look for when describing a car as sporty

#145732 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Richard, if you’re referring to my journey – there is no charge point within  20 miles of where I had my meeting so it would not be possible to replicate my trip in an EV. Those are the facts however much anyone tries to argue otherwise!

#145737 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

I actually liked mm qashqui when I ordered it two and half years ago, I thought the aggressive front bumper and stance made it look like a sporty SUV , which really wouldn’t look sporty to some, I also find the grandland I’ve ordered a sporty SUV.

So sporty is definitely an individual thing I think, either that or I’m a bit strange haha.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Richy.
    #145739 Reply
    Ashley

I get that people have different looks on the term sporty. So what u would look at sporty would be the likes of gtd, Leon fr, focus St skoda vrs models

#145743 Reply
    Tim

Exactly, some see the likes of the X1 and R-line Tiguan as sporty.

#145744 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Exactly, some see the likes of the X1 and R-line Tiguan as sporty.

Subjective I know Tim – but those, to me, are two of the dullest looking cars on the road!

#145745 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I assumed Tim was being tongue in cheek. We have an X1 whose looks I would never describe as sporty, but when you get behind the wheel it’s a different matter…

#145746 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

I think the things I said look sporty may actually be more me thinking pretty, sporty wise I’m more R32 skyline and the older vehicles , you would think I sound a lot older then forty, everyone says I sound like my seventy year old dad when it comes to cars, I’d rather have a old Mustang or dodge charger like from the 60s , that’s what I call sporty looking , newer cars that all my friends find sporty, I really don’t find that attractive!

#145748 Reply
    Psuader

Can we agree that Sports Utility Vehicles are the least sporty cars???

#145751 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

@psuader

Yes I think we can to be fair, their just practical to me and more so pretty then sporty, so yeah I retract my earlier comment on sporty I think

#145752 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

Can we agree that Sports Utility Vehicles are the least sporty cars???

No,  that honour goes to the converted van types,  Berlingo etc

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#145753 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

@psuader but Sports Utillerty Vehicle has sports in its name.

I think the ultimate sports car is said to be the Porsche 911 as an actual car defining category.

Not what on motability comes closest to a rear enginged, flat six, with rear or four wheel drive? Hmmm.

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#145755 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I don’t think any one category can be labelled as not sporty. I’d say you need to judge each car individually.

Just as an example, I wouldn’t describe any Porsche SUV as not sporty.

Also, as far as SUV’s go, the Seat Ateca looks pretty sporty.

VW used to do a caddy with the full golf gti interior and a body kit. That was pretty sporty even though it was a van. (I’d actually like one of those)

#145758 Reply
    Tim

The fake chrome blanked off exhaust trims on my Tiguan elegance scream sporty. 1.5l engine, but it’s a turbo 😏

#145759 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

Well my wife loves the grandland and said she thinks it’s very sporty 🤣🤣

I’m never allowed to choose a car again without her approval, after the amount of times I’ve turned up with different cars without her knowledge 🤣🤣🤣 now I’m well behaved , umm I think

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
Reply To: Sporty cars on motability
Your information: