Sporty cars on motability

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145642 Reply
    Ajh1988
    Participant

What’s the best sporty cars you have found on motability. For me the golf gtd is leading the way just interested to see what other people think

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145643 Reply
    Simon

IMO the GTD is the only one.

#145644 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

depends how you define “sporty”  the Golf doesn’t handle particularly well,  it’s beaten for straight line speed by virtually every EV on the scheme,  personally I’d rather have a BMW M sport petrol

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#145645 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

I think of the GTD as more of a really fast comfy long distance machine. A big heavy diesel engine out front not so good for handling. The Mini Cooper S was quite hot hatch like. But there’s definitely not much.

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#145651 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

depends how you define “sporty” the Golf doesn’t handle particularly well, it’s beaten for straight line speed by virtually every EV on the scheme, personally I’d rather have a BMW M sport petrol

Spot on, the review on Evo says you’d only choose the Golf GTD for the fuel economy… If I didn’t have the Kona (6.3 secs o-62) I’d take a BMW over VW every time. But in the end, what constitutes Sporty, I’ll leave most cars in the rear view mirror at the lights if I wanted in an EV, but it’s definitely not sporty, I’m after economy.  For sporty, I read Boy Racer… 😉

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/gtd

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#145656 Reply
    RICHARD WAITES

I think a 7 sec 0-60, a top speed of 153mph and the suspension/ chassis of a Golf GTI constitutes a sporty car. That and 400nm of torque of course which means mid range punch is immense. Some ev’s might be quicker for a very brief period of time but a GTD covers everything. All the above and pushing 60 mpg.

#145658 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

And yes, I have got one on order :). Shame dealer has vanished into thin air since then when order is subject to test drive!

#145657 Reply
    Ajh1988
    Participant

depends how you define “sporty” the Golf doesn’t handle particularly well, it’s beaten for straight line speed by virtually every EV on the scheme, personally I’d rather have a BMW M sport petrol

Spot on, the review on Evo says you’d only choose the Golf GTD for the fuel economy… If I didn’t have the Kona (6.3 secs o-62) I’d take a BMW over VW every time. But in the end, what constitutes Sporty, I’ll leave most cars in the rear view mirror at the lights if I wanted in an EV, but it’s definitely not sporty, I’m after economy. For sporty, I read Boy Racer… 😉 https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/gtd

😂 No boy racer but I do like to know I have power on under my right foot. I remember couple years ago you could of got a focus St or a skoda vrs.

#145662 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

What about Mini Cooper S?

#145667 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

I think a 7 sec 0-60, a top speed of 153mph and the suspension/ chassis of a Golf GTI constitutes a sporty car. That and 400nm of torque of course which means mid range punch is immense. Some ev’s might be quicker for a very brief period of time but a GTD covers everything. All the above and pushing 60 mpg.

I have virtually the same diesel lump in my Ateca,  and despite the obvious grunt,  it in no way could be described as being sporty,  despite having an irrelevant top speed of 140 mph and 0-60 in just over 7 seconds,  in everyday driving a modern EV is much quicker and more economical,  and Greta will be smiling at you 🤣

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

#145671 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Without wanting to be controversial (ha!) there’s no planet saving EV on the scheme could have done the drive I did today in our X1.  Bournemouth to Mevagissy and back.  332 miles – 7 hours – average 50mph.  To do that I needed to leave after 9am and be back before 5pm to avoid rush hour traffic.  Ok, it’s not an everyday occurrence  but it needed doing.

#145672 Reply
    matt

i orded a gtd yestaday.took the gti for a test drive has they dident have a gtd great car

#145680 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Without wanting to be controversial (ha!) there’s no planet saving EV on the scheme could have done the drive I did today in our X1. Bournemouth to Mevagissy and back. 332 miles – 7 hours – average 50mph. To do that I needed to leave after 9am and be back before 5pm to avoid rush hour traffic. Ok, it’s not an everyday occurrence but it needed doing.

?  You do live in a strange world mate, I have no doubt at all I could do that quite easily in a day, Although I would have taken a decent break in Mevagissey and had some fish and chips, route plan with charging stops and times, and had to take a guess at start and end points

Previous Motability Cars

#145682 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Good theory.  Reality is different.  So 7 hours 14 mins driving and 54 minutes charging and an hour in Mevagissey  you’ve busted my available window.  I was working, not holidaying.

#145684 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Good theory. Reality is different. So 7 hours 14 mins driving and 54 minutes charging and an hour in Mevagissey you’ve busted my available window. I was working, not holidaying.

I don’t need the hour in Mevaggissy, and could comfortably drop out 2 charges, so doing the trip in 8 hours is easy, subject (as you would be) to traffic, at 50mph average, I have a comfortable 300 mile range in today’s weather, add a 30 min charge (would add 115 miles) I have plenty of time and range.

Previous Motability Cars

#145686 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Intranicity. The hour in Mevagissey was the meeting I went for!

#145687 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

One day EV’s will be the sensible choice but imo not at the moment. I wouldn’t want to drive around worrying that if I switch on things like the heater or aircon that I won’t make it to my next charging point. 300+ mile journeys in a day are normal for me with at least one meeting in between.

#145691 Reply
    sif

Wigwam, you are nuts if you drive 15 hrs for a 1 hr meeting. Certifiable and so is whoever called the meeting. Ever heard of zoom.

#145693 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You’re right, I would be nuts, sif. That didn’t happen.

#145697 Reply
    MickC

Abarth,is quick and nimble,its a cool car.

#145703 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Agree with others in that “sporty” is the wrong word to use here. The Daily Flail might get to hear and get the last few interesting cars taken off. At present, one of the few really  interesting cars on scheme is the Mini hatch Cooper S. I have one of these and it can certainly be prompt but, just as important, the suspension and handling are excellent. You just point it where you want to go, and it does. In the correct conditions, there’s no need to slow for corners and the (electronic) limited slip differential makes sure there’s no wheelspin. You must bear in mind, however, that it is not a small family hatch, rather an eccentric two-seat sports car.

Sadly the day of the Alfa Giulia and BMW 3-series are gone. EV performance holds some promise, I agree, so long as they get the handling and suspension to match. (And do away with bloody touch-screens!)

#145708 Reply
    Tim

I can see the Daily Mail headlines 😂

#145709 Reply
    Arthur

The GTD is not like the Diesel Focus ST in that its setup the same way as it’s petrol versions. The GTD has the standard Golf setup.

I think the most sporty has to be the Mini Cooper S and Mazda MX5

#145710 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Aaah! Ajn – if only it were true! The Mazda MX5 has not been on the scheme for many years. It was one of the many that were judged “immoral” by the Flail and therefore censored.

#145711 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Ah yes, the glorious Mazda MX-5. I remember it disappearing off the scheme around 2-years ago now and thinking at the time it’ll be back soon as Mazda were updating the engines to give them a bit more zip. They also added thing like a rear view camera & a few other gadgets. The updated engines were still below Motability’s limit and I remember well the 2.0 automatic RF (folding metal roof) was £1,999 AP at the time of removal. Oh how I looked forward to being able to order the above!

Sadly though, it never did re-appear – for whatever reason/s. If it was on the scheme today – then I would be waiting for delivery right now & looking forward to driving with the top down on days like today here in Hampshire & for the Spring and long Summer ahead.

Alas, the 2.0 Mazda MX-5 RF is/was waaay too much fun for a Motability customer to enjoy and, sadly, it is now nothing other than a distant, fond dream… … …

#145712 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I can see the Daily Mail headlines 😂

I hear the Mail is starting a campaign to bring back the blue three wheeler, now that’s a sporty motor if ever there was one.  😊

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
Reply To: Sporty cars on motability
Your information: