So frustrated with what’s available…………………………….

• Creator
    Topic
  • #169694 Reply
    sean1969
    Participant

Today, we went to look at and hopefuly test drive the new Tuscon Ultimate and the Peugeot 3008 GT as we can order our next car as of yesterday.

The Tuscon was tricky for my wife to access the passenger seat as there is a raised lip which she found difficult to get her leg in, so no test drive.

The 3008 was worse, as there is the bonnet catch sticking out, so it was more trickier to get in and out of.

I am so frustrated as we looked at the Qashqai Tekna + and it was perfect in every way, to the light door and access and egress, however, as we all know they have taken this off the scheme so I cannot order one.

I currently have a Kuga Titanium X Edition so the next plan of attack is to look at the new Kuga ST Line X but I am not holding out much hope, being honest.

The car has to be fit for purpose, access and egress and to accomodate a full size wheelchair.

I can see us extending the lease and hope this situation doesn’t get any worse with cars coming off the scheme at an alarming rate.

Come on Motobilty, please can you try harder with manufacturers to keep cars on the scheme and not every disabled person needs the same out of a car, circumstances are very different.

Rant over!

Current car 2019 Ford Kuga 1.5T Titanium X Edition

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #169699 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Sean. Fully sympathise as the choice is rubbish at present. None of us know if and when cars that have been removed will return, if at all, but I should think that the Qashqai would be one of the first to return. It’s always been a very popular car on Motability and I should think that Nissan will want it back on as soon as they are able, as they will be losing a lot of sales.

Personally, given that it sounds as though your wife has similar issues to mine, I would never order something that’s a compromise. If Motability is your only option, I’d be inclined to sit tight and see what happens early next year. As you probably know, you can extend the lease by 2 years but you aren’t tied to it and can order at any time within that period – even the day after you ask for the extension!

#169700 Reply
    sean1969
    Participant

Thanks Glos Guy, I think it is looking more like we will wait for the next quarter and take it from there. I have only covered just over 15,000 miles in our current motability car as it is mainly for use when I take my wife out to the shops, hospital and doctors appointments. I try not to use it, I use my other car for work etc.

#169701 Reply
    Micky

OT IS RUBBISH AT PRESENT I think if you can hold on till Q. 1 or 2. 2022

#169716 Reply
    sean1969
    Participant

Yes Micky, I think we will

#170046 Reply
    Sue

I’ve done a two year extension on my make do vehicle, I had to compromise the last time due to the advance payments but at least there was a decent choice that time around even if most were a bit eek on price!

It hasn’t stopped me looking though, had a gander at the Bayon and Kona two weeks ago but both are not suitable (almost got stuck in the Bayon and the boot wasn’t big enough for needs and still some difficulty in getting out in the Kona), strangely the Tucson was the easiest one for me to get out off and the boot, well what we could see as the demonstrator couldn’t get the blooming thing open, was suitable. Alas, the Tucson is out of my price range.

Mind you, at this rate I might need to get in contact with Motability as my mobility further reduces as getting out of the current car independently is possible on an ever decreasing percentage and I think it will only be a matter of months before it will be impossible for me to do so. Could be a great excuse for not turning up at work on time though “Er, sorry I can’t make it on time, I’m stuck in my car in the car park can you come and rescue me please?”

#170047 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’ve done a two year extension on my make do vehicle, I had to compromise the last time due to the advance payments but at least there was a decent choice that time around even if most were a bit eek on price! It hasn’t stopped me looking though, had a gander at the Bayon and Kona two weeks ago but both are not suitable (almost got stuck in the Bayon and the boot wasn’t big enough for needs and still some difficulty in getting out in the Kona), strangely the Tucson was the easiest one for me to get out off and the boot, well what we could see as the demonstrator couldn’t get the blooming thing open, was suitable. Alas, the Tucson is out of my price range. Mind you, at this rate I might need to get in contact with Motability as my mobility further reduces as getting out of the current car independently is possible on an ever decreasing percentage and I think it will only be a matter of months before it will be impossible for me to do so. Could be a great excuse for not turning up at work on time though “Er, sorry I can’t make it on time, I’m stuck in my car in the car park can you come and rescue me please?”

Hi Sue. Whilst I know nothing about the grants that Motability can provide (or your financial position), it might be worth contacting them and explaining all of the above. You never know, they might help you to get a Tucson.

Although your last point was said in jest, it reminded me of my wife’s situation in the last year that she was able to work. She used to drive to work (with hand controls) and once she was parked she phoned her colleagues, one of whom would wheel a wheelchair out to the car for her. Sadly her condition has now deteriorated to the point that she can no longer drive, but this approach enabled her to work a year longer than would have been the case.

#170048 Reply
    Peter Ward

I don’t think we should be complaining about Motability in any part of the current situation, their hands are tied and they’re at the mercy of the manufacturers.

Their entire business model is under threat the longer this persists, they are reliant on manufacturers selling cheap to take up excess capacity and stock. Without that excess there’s no business reason to sell cheap cars to Motability.

This whole situation is down to manufacturers failing to plan ahead or change their just in time supply chain, they just assumed that the chip manufacturers would be able to start churning out chips at the drop of a hat when in fact they had reconfigured their lines to other products in order to keep working.

#170050 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I don’t think we should be complaining about Motability in any part of the current situation, their hands are tied and they’re at the mercy of the manufacturers. Their entire business model is under threat the longer this persists, they are reliant on manufacturers selling cheap to take up excess capacity and stock. Without that excess there’s no business reason to sell cheap cars to Motability. This whole situation is down to manufacturers failing to plan ahead or change their just in time supply chain, they just assumed that the chip manufacturers would be able to start churning out chips at the drop of a hat when in fact they had reconfigured their lines to other products in order to keep working.

Whilst I agree with your final point about manufacturers messing up chip supply Peter, I believe that your comments about the Motability model are wide of the mark.

It is not the case that manufacturers just use Motability to take up excess capacity and stock. In fact the vast majority of manufacturers never have excess stock as most cars nowadays are built to order, not speculatively. Even when dealers have cars in stock, they are often reluctant to let them go to Motability customers, preferring to get the customer to make a factory order! It is also quite common for new cars to appear on the Motability scheme within a few months of being launched when retail demand is still very high. All businesses rely on turnover. Whilst they make less money per Motability sale than per retail sale, all the Motability sales add up to a sizeable turnover.

In the current climate, where demand is exceeding supply, manufacturers can pick and choose which segments they prioritise and it is no surprise that Motability sales will fall by the wayside. However, whilst the chip shortage is undoubtedly responsible for the majority of the cull in vehicle choice, I can’t help but feel that there are other factors at play here and we may be seeing a repositioning of the scheme. I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but only time will tell.

#170051 Reply
    Jojoe

Peter Ward
    I don’t think we should be complaining about Motability in any part of the current situation, their hands are tied and they’re at the mercy of the manufacturers.

Their entire business model is under threat the longer this persists, they are reliant on manufacturers selling cheap to take up excess capacity and stock. Without that excess there’s no business reason to sell cheap cars to Motability.

This whole situation is down to manufacturers failing to plan ahead or change their just in time supply chain, they just assumed that the chip manufacturers would be able to start churning out chips at the drop of a hat when in fact they had reconfigured their lines to other products in order to keep working.

Fair point, but manufacturers need to understand that Motability is the biggest fleet buyer in Europe and supply chain issues will eventually get back to normal. Motability should be reminding car manufacturers of their buying power.

#170078 Reply
    sean1969
    Participant

I agree with Jojoe.

It appears the Qashqai is coming back on Q1 2022 which is perfect for my wifes needs, so we will extend the lease for another 2 years on Monday and just keep our fingers crossed.

I do think Motability need to be stronger and ruthless with manufacturers as if they cannot fulfill a service, then Motability need to pull the plug on them. I appreciate in these times of “chip” shortages but I had called another Nissan dealer miles away as a private buyer and guess what, I could have the exact same car, model and colour delivered for 1st March handover, where he would give me that in writing, it’s funny that!

Anyhow, we are extending the lease, will wait and see what happens Q1, as our current car has only covered less than 15,000 miles so no great hardship to get the car that suits our needs.

#170084 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I think that there’s little doubt that Motability are poor negotiators and I would bet my house on the fact that these companies offering salary sacrifice schemes are much harder in their negotiations. It would have made much sense if Motability had used up some of their inflated profits to have reserved certain models like the leasing companies do to offer immediate delivery of these vehicles, but of course they make more money if people extend their lease. The situation regarding deliveries suits them not us.

#170087 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

I’m Wondering what the difference is between the sale value of a 3 year old car to a 5 year old is.

#170098 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’m Wondering what the difference is between the sale value of a 3 year old car to a 5 year old is.

With the average Motability car I would say a lot less than the extra £6k plus that they’ve raked in with the extra sacrificed benefits plus, of course, they are supplying these customers with a new car far less frequently, so less early years depreciation. Elliot is spot on. The current situation suits Motability nicely.

#170105 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

You are spot on guys. Because you don’t see the pip motability benefit portion, it’s so easy to forget the 6k.

#170132 Reply
    Sue

Glos Guy – I’m fast approaching the point of not being able to get to work independently, I already have a carer who wheels me over to work, helps set up, gets me settled and then goes back to the car and waits until I have finished when he comes and collects me again for the majority of my shifts.  The few remaining shifts where I don’t have that cover are becoming an issue though despite my employer really thinking out of the box to try to overcome the challenges, we’ve sorted one shift where my youngest son drops me literally to the door and then picks me up later which leaves two shifts which are troublesome.

I’m fast coming to the conclusion that my working days may well be coming to an end, even on the limited hours I do now it is having a really awful impact on the progress of my conditions and ultimately, what I am able to do and it feels like I am hanging on by my finger tips to the little I can actually do for myself, including talking (if I push too much, I not only lose the use and control of my limbs but also my speech).

As for Motability, I do plan to have another word with them but with the delays in vehicles arriving, I could well be getting close to or actually have less than a year until my PIP review and despite my limitations and future prognosis, I don’t really want to take it for granted  and assume that another award will be given.

#170135 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

If you do the maths it is £6500 over 2 years. Bear in mind some of that has to cover insurance costs and servicing etc. However it appears a hood deal for motability.

#170137 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy – I’m fast approaching the point of not being able to get to work independently, I already have a carer who wheels me over to work, helps set up, gets me settled and then goes back to the car and waits until I have finished when he comes and collects me again for the majority of my shifts. The few remaining shifts where I don’t have that cover are becoming an issue though despite my employer really thinking out of the box to try to overcome the challenges, we’ve sorted one shift where my youngest son drops me literally to the door and then picks me up later which leaves two shifts which are troublesome. I’m fast coming to the conclusion that my working days may well be coming to an end, even on the limited hours I do now it is having a really awful impact on the progress of my conditions and ultimately, what I am able to do and it feels like I am hanging on by my finger tips to the little I can actually do for myself, including talking (if I push too much, I not only lose the use and control of my limbs but also my speech). As for Motability, I do plan to have another word with them but with the delays in vehicles arriving, I could well be getting close to or actually have less than a year until my PIP review and despite my limitations and future prognosis, I don’t really want to take it for granted and assume that another award will be given.

Hi Sue. I’m so sorry to hear about your challenges. I am full of admiration for your attitude though. You clearly are a fighter and determined to ‘keep going’, especially when it comes to work, rather than roll over and give in. There comes a point though when you have to listen to your body and focus on your safety. Only you will know when that is.

As for your PIP entitlement, it very much sounds as though you would qualify again at your assessment. As we know, many who should qualify don’t. I happen to believe that this is often down to the poor quality of their written application rather than, as some suggest, some master plan of an evil government to deprive disabled people of their benefits. My wife is very bright, but was overwhelmed with the PIP application process and handed it to me! I researched it all to death and purchased the invaluable ‘Disability Rights Handbook’ from Disability Rights U.K. I was working at the time so only had the evenings to complete the application, but it took me a full week to complete it to a level of thoroughness that would have made a rejection near impossible.

The key thing (especially if you have a condition that has good and bad days, such as MS) is to answer all questions referring to the worst of your bad days. That’s perfectly legitimate. Even if you can walk the critical distance that is the show stopper for higher rate mobility  (can’t remember what it is, but it’s very short), if there is any chance that you might stumble or fall then you cannot walk that distance safely and should answer so.

Even though my wife was granted the maximum PIP award for both daily living and Mobility, it was for around 3 years. Most would be OK with that, but I asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration. My argument was that unless they knew of any new medical evidence to suggest that my wife’s condition would improve (when factually it never does – it only gets worse), she should not be subjected to the stress and anxiety of going through the process again in 3 years time. This was successful and it was revised to an indefinite award.

There are various charitable organisations that will help with PIP applications, but the quality varies. The husband of someone who used to work for me used one of them and was unsuccessful. As a result I helped them and the second time he was successful. So I think the key is to research thoroughly, ask for assistance with the application if needed and challenge a poor decision. Good luck with it.

#170149 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Glos Guy

Just a quick one as I know I can ramble but when you say “indefinite award” have they change that definition or do you mean like the award I have of 10 years as that is about as indefinite you can get these days. 😢

#170152 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Glos Guy Just a quick one as I know I can ramble but when you say “indefinite award” have they change that definition or do you mean like the award I have of 10 years as that is about as indefinite you can get these days. 😢

It was a few years ago now Chris, but the revised letter after the Mandatory Reconsideration said something like ‘indefinite with the earliest review in 10 years’, which I take to mean that it won’t necessarily happen then, if at all. Sounds like the same as you have. As it happens my wife’s condition has deteriorated a lot since she was awarded PIP and she can’t even stand unaided now, let alone walk a short distance, and she’s now a full time wheelchair user. Consequently we aren’t concerned about it as she would easily qualify. The only worry is if they means test it in the future, which would be deeply unfair but would see her lose her entitlement.

#170155 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Yes that what it says on my award “indefinite with the earliest review in 10 years” and that was included when the judge at my tribunal told the DWP that “it would be inappropriate to give Mr Chris a time scale on his award”.

#170156 Reply
    Paul

My PIP says ‘on going”‘for 10 years ,then a light touch review.Was the term ‘indefinite’ for those on dla?

#170159 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My PIP says ‘on going”‘for 10 years ,then a light touch review.Was the term ‘indefinite’ for those on dla?

It was my wife’s first PIP application, moving over from DLA. Not sure if that helps?

#170168 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Sorry Paul your right and I’ve made a mistake or should I say my memory has but now I’ve manage to dig out my old PIP paperwork given as proof of entitlement and where I get the 10 year entitlement date from and this I correct now as it doesn’t say “indefinite”.

What it does say is “from November 2017 for an ongoing period”…

and …

“Although PIP has been awarded, you’ll only be entitle if you continue to meet the conditions of benefit. We’ll contact you after September 2027 to make sure you’re receiving the right level of PIP”.

I’ve not bothered to find the notes from the tribunal but there in my files somewhere as a reminder to myself in 2027.

#170171 Reply
    Paul

No ‘sorry’ needed Chrisk.👍

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: So frustrated with what’s available…………………………….
Your information: