Should we, and or,Motability favour British made cars?

This topic contains 76 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Abercol 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #71996 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

It is a disaster for anyone to lose their job and we have heard of many being told they face a period on the dole.

Initially i thought Motability could maybe reduce the AP on British made cars, making them, hopefuly, a bargain on the scheme but this will probably be against fair competition rules.

Would anyone favour a British car just because its made here, or would that be unrealistic?

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #72146 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Unfortunately car manufacturing is now fully international – all major manufacturers have plants everywhere and source components everywhere.  In that sense there will never be a British car any more than a German car.

But we still innovate and provide the technological solutions. Look at GKN Driveline, who are very strong in the transmission market worldwide including for EVs.

#72154 Reply

Dragonfly

If motability were to favour British cars it may lead other manufacturers to withdraw from the scheme. We don’t want a further reduction in choice.

I agree with other posters that it would be difficult to define what constitutes a British car.

#72156 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

What we really need is for Aston Martin to take a lead from Tesla and produce a few affordable cars that we could buy because they are the best cars to choose.

#72160 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Silly question, why not spend all this 39 billion + on the manufacturing industry in this country rather than handing it over to the EU.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#72162 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Oscarmax the brexit thread is in the off topic section lol.

#72163 Reply

Mike11
    Participant

Totally agree Brydo Aston Martin is a quality brand of course made famous by James Bond lovely cars but I cannot afford one 

#72164 Reply

Dragonfly

I don’t want the “James Bond” Aston Martin DB7 with the passenger ejection seat, the wife wouldn’t like it .

#72165 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

How do you know dragonfly she might love it lol

#72166 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Oscarmax the brexit thread is in the off topic section lol.

I know I was having a senior moment

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#72168 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Haha you and me both

#72172 Reply

Dragonfly

@brydo

Who would supervise my driving if she wasn’t there?????? 🙂

#72185 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

You can get a little machine that sits on the passenger seat and just “tuts” every few minutes!

#72186 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

I’d need one that says “Jesus! Slow down!”

#72189 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Wigwam are you always called Jesus lol 😂

#72191 Reply

Dragonfly

Mr Jesus Wigwam has a nice ring to it 🙂

#72202 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

My little machine on the passenger seat would have to do several things:

a) Complain its too cold or too hot and adjust the controls so its too hot/cold for me

b) Complain about my music choices and switch the stereo off

c) Snore loudly after switching the music off & promptly falling asleep

d) Demand a McFlurry at every McDonalds we pass like a rabid, ice cream starved highwayman

e) Exclaim that the sun is too bright and leave the passenger sunblind down at ALL times

Then there are the one-offs, such as “Stay behind/beside this Shearers bus ‘cos I’m getting their free wifi for Facebook” – uttered on the M25 on our way to Aberdeen. And “Don’t drink that bottled water in the cup holder, its for the dog”

She’s lovely really…I think…Hmmm…

#72205 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Sounds like a keeper Abercol lol.

#72208 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I just hear this horrible whining noise coming from the passengers seat, however, I must admit it does stop for a while and give me clear and precise educated instruction based on it vastly superior experience life skills, then immediately revert back to the whining with milliseconds.

#72210 Reply

Winston
    Participant

If the good ladies ever find themselves on this forum boy are you lot in trouble lol

#72211 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Which begs the question – which forum are they on?

#72217 Reply

Georgie

All small potatoes compared to the highly detailed, highly distracting and deeply irritating second-by-second instructions I have to suffer when I drive my DH home from Hossie.  The way he goes on I’m amazed he’s even willing to get in the car with me.  Yet he always does.

#72225 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Georgie he’s just keeping you right, there’s no pleasing you women lol.

#72235 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The forum that instills the skills required to correct your man on everything to do with driving and decision making, dress sense, eating habits, drinking, breathing etc!

#72347 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Joking aside my wife has too keep a close eye on me 24 hours a day, but it nice to poke a little fun at her she just laughs at me.

#72351 Reply

Georgie

Yeah, I know it’s just his way of showing he cares.  At least, that’s what I tell myself! 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
Reply To: Should we, and or,Motability favour British made cars?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: