Should we, and or,Motability favour British made cars?

This topic contains 76 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Abercol 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #71996 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

It is a disaster for anyone to lose their job and we have heard of many being told they face a period on the dole.

Initially i thought Motability could maybe reduce the AP on British made cars, making them, hopefuly, a bargain on the scheme but this will probably be against fair competition rules.

Would anyone favour a British car just because its made here, or would that be unrealistic?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #72004 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Which “British” cars exactly?

#72007 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Made in Britain
    MINI – MINI, MINI Clubman and MINI Countryman, in Cowley, Oxford
    Honda – Civic and CR-V in Swindon
    Toyota – Auris, Auris hybrid and Avensis in Burnaston, Derbyshire
    Nissan – Juke, Qashqai, Note and Leaf and Infiniti Q30 in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
    Jaguar – F-Pace and XE in Solihull, and F-type, XJ, XF and XE in Castle Bromwich, Birmingham
    Land Rover – Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque in Halewood, Merseyside, and Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Land Rover Defender in Solihull, West Midlands
    Vauxhall – Astra at Ellesmere Port and Vivaro van in Luton

Ford stopped building cars in the UK in 2002 and vans (Transits) in July 2013 but continues to manufacture engines in Bridgend and Dagenham and transmissions in Halewood.

#72008 Reply

Rene
    Participant

This is basically a “brexit debate” in disguise, not much point in that.

#72012 Reply

Trev

Honda are pulling out of Swindon, due to non-brexit reasons, so that ones off the list.

I think it’s very unrealistic, the government should be doing more/something to retain and incentive more cars being built in Britain – it’s not down to the buyers to try and make them stay.

Do we favour UK Lamb to New Zealand? Just an example that consumers go through a decision process when buying anything, quality, price….. origin is normally further down the list.

I'm running the Virgin London Marathon 2019 in support of MIND The Mental Health Charity

#72014 Reply

wonky

Hi all, people of a certain age were brought up on New Zealand lamb!

We weren’t aware of the politics years ago as we are today. Governments get persuaded, its called lobbying or bribing I’m confused. Depending on this persuasion companies move production around the globe. It’s true of cars, socks, electronics etc. We just get left with what is presented to us.

Regards, wonky

#72017 Reply

Georgie

I deliberately tried to ‘Buy British’ six years ago to balance the fact that my DH’s car is German.  Then I discovered my Vauxhall GTC had’t even been built at Ellesmere Port, as I had assumed, but in Poland. :\

#72018 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Oh, you mean “made in britain” I think the mini is going abroad soon also I read somewhere and nissan has cancelled their expansion plans for up north and may be pulling out altogether, so only issue is the fact that they are made here, not that the profits go to the foreign companies that own all those british cars!

#72021 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Well that’s answered that question………… I take it we don’t.

#72024 Reply

Craig

There’s no such thing as a ‘British car’. Most cars are made with parts from Europe.

#72025 Reply

Winston
    Participant

Just my 2 pence worth..

I think our current Gov and the the ones before it over the past 20/30 even 40  years have been too weak and short sighted  to secure the best deals and future for us all

They are too busy fighting amongst themselves, trying to keep their jobs or make a name for themselves that the country and its opportunities have went right down the pan

Whether you voted leave or stay or don’t even care its clear that the witch and her team who are in charge are just so weak and incompetent at negotiating that has now left us in the sorry state we are in now.

It could have been a great opportunity for the country if the right people were in charge to negotiate, but May and her team are nothibg but idiots, dangerous idiots at that

The amount of projects and Gov Depts ie HS2, NHS that just waste money when the funding for basic services is cut is beyond insanity its suicidal  the amount of super rich companies and individuals who get away paying practically zero is unforgivable  whilst small businesses and individuals struggle to makes ends meet

One Ray of light for me is that I’m just glad that I don’t have kids that are growing to grow up in this ludicrous gender neutral  snowflake, social media driven,, hypocritical and down right depressing society

Things could be so much different if the people in charge made some right hard but sensible decisions and law changes for the good of us all before it’s too late

Anyways  happy weekend folks 😭😂

#72027 Reply

Persuader

As soon as Morgan are put on Motability I’ll be first in the queue…there are no proper British makes anymore.

#72028 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

And breathe……………. Bet you feel better for that Winston lol.

#72029 Reply

Winston
    Participant

Yep sure do Brydo lol

Maybe today doesn’t seem too bad after all haha 😂

#72030 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Better out than in my friend.

#72033 Reply

Georgie

Persuader – as of sometime next month the Majority Stake of the Morgan Motor Company will be owned by a pan-European company called ‘Investindustrial’.

Their website describes the company:

“Founded in 1990 out of an industrial group and with €6.8 billion of raised fund capital, Investindustrial is one of Europe’s leading independent investment groups focused on taking control positions predominantly in Southern European medium-sized companies that are leaders in their fields.

“Investindustrial has a team of more than 100 professionals representing fifteen nationalities who are based across its offices in Switzerland, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, Luxembourg, and China.”

#72034 Reply

Persuader

Georgie, I didnt know that. Wow.

So, shall we lobby for McClaren to be made available?

#72035 Reply

Georgie

Definitely.  Though I fear overall performance might be affected by the wheelchair bungeed to the roof.

#72036 Reply

Rene
    Participant

Well that’s answered that question………… I take it we don’t.

Not really, has it. If you decide for yourself that you want to do that, nobody is stopping you. But trying to establish some form of moral responsibility is frankly a little ridiculous.

There’s no “we” or “us” here, and i don’t agree that there should be either, because the second someone criticises someone else for not buying “a car made by a bloke” we’re in Daily Mail “Traitors!” territory. And i’d like to think that “we” are better than that.

Definitely.  Though I fear overall performance might be affected by the wheelchair bungeed to the roof.

Just wait for the inevitable SUV that’s coming eventually. Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari – they’re all doing them at one point or another. Usually they’re ugly as sin, but alas.

#72037 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I’m not sure I would go for British unless Motability were to have a positive AP where they give me £1,700 for taking the car for 3 years. 😀

#72039 Reply

Georgie

Rene – “Just wait for the inevitable SUV that’s coming eventually. Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari – they’re all doing them at one point or another. Usually they’re ugly as sin, but alas.”

They’ll have to be available under the 200bhp cap, though.

#72048 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Rene nothing about Brexit in my post, just a question to see if there was any way we could help the thousands of British people who will soon be out of work.

No hidden agenda.

We have a Mantra on the forum that there are no stupid questions only questions that are not asked.

You have ridiculed my question but I am thick skinned and can take it, but if I am a lurker, reading posts on the forum but not sure if I should take the plunge with my first post, and I read your reply, I would have second thoughts.

People who post new thread’s are the life blood of the forum so let’s not dissuade anyone from doing so.

#72054 Reply

Dragonfly

Yes, when can I pick my Aston Martin up 🙂

#72064 Reply

Trev

Apologies Winston, I didn’t get there soon enough – post has of course been deleted.

I'm running the Virgin London Marathon 2019 in support of MIND The Mental Health Charity

#72066 Reply

Winston
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Don’t be daft Trev, you,  Pops, JS etc all have a life to lead, yous can police this place 24/7</p>
    Any numpty can post on here lol

That guy has posted bile like that on and off for years eh?

I obv should apologise for the language I used  but I figured he deserved it and it was after the watershed 😂

#72067 Reply

Trev

LOL yeah no problem with that mate, not at all. Only reason i got rid is after deleting his post, yours looked a bit silly out there on its own lol

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 76 total)
Reply To: Should we, and or,Motability favour British made cars?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: