Should I wait to renew until after April price change?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #137979 Reply
    Nicole

Hi, I hope someone can advise me. I am nearly at the end of my first motability 3 year term. I am looking at renewing with the Hyundai Kona electric. Premium model advance payment is £2799 and Premium SE is £3999. I can’t afford the £4k payment, although the higher spec model has heated seats which really helps my arthritis, but this is wishful thinking as it’s too expensive. The new 2021 kona electric is due out at some stage soon. So I am wondering if they will soon reduce advance payments on the existing 2019 models? I hate the thought of paying £2799 for the more basic model without the heated seats and then in a couple of months the higher spec model is reduced to £3k or something and I will be wishing I had held off for a while. Is it normal for them to reduce prices in April? Or when new model comes out? This is my first time going through renewal so apologies if this sounds like silly questions. Thanks in advance

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137980 Reply
    Nicole

I should have included – the dealer told me she had a customer who paid £4500 for the higher spec kona last year, then it reduced to £4k shortly after, and the customer phoned motability and was able to get the difference refunded??

#137983 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Sadly it’s impossible to advise, the car might not even be on the scheme next quarter, its a gamble, could go down, but could go up or even disappear.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#137986 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Nicole, if it was me – I’d wait for the face-lift version. I have just been in the same situation with Peugeot.

Q1 prices are high – mainly because no one had an idea whether or not Brexit was going to be a factor. Prices are starting to come down now & despite the pandemic – car manufacturer’s are desperate for your business. Not only that, but Motability will automatically extend your lease by up to 6-months on your current car. Like me, if the car you want comes onto the scheme at any time during that 6-months, you can order at any time.

I don’t have a crystal ball alas – but I would put a sizeable wager on Q2 prices coming down.

#137989 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

As Intranicity says, it’s a complete gamble. There is no pattern whatsoever to AP’s. They go up and down for no apparent reason. Each new quarter brings surprises, mostly nasty ones but often some good ones too. No specific quarter is better or worse than others. However, this forum is a great place to get advance sight of some of the next quarter price lists in the days leading up to each new quarter.

We are due to change at the end of March. Unfortunately there are no cars on the Motability scheme at present that are perfect for us, so my intention is to look at the price lists as they are released on here towards the end of March. If between now and then we decide on a particular car and I can establish the Q2 price no later than 31st March, then if it is going up in Q2 I will order on 31st March and if it’s going down I will delay ordering until 1st April. Alternatively I will extend the current lease for 2 years, which doesn’t mean that you are locked in to another 2 years as you can order a new car at any time within the two years. This can be useful as you can then ‘pounce’ on any car that may suddenly come on the scheme.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Glos Guy.
    #137996 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

I think if your hearts set on a particular car and the AP is at a price your comfortable paying then go for it, otherwise there’s no harm in waiting for the next quarter.

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#138002 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Q2 prices are usually released just prior to Q2. Why not wait until then so you can compare Q1 and Q2 prices prior to making a decision.

#138016 Reply
    Nicole

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. One dealer I spoke with today kept offering a £150 discount and seemed a bit desperate, so my husband thought that was a sign to wait to see what changes the next couple of months might bring. My deal actually finished in October but because I was waiting on the decision from my PIP reassessment it was extended to beginning of April, so I do have a bit of time to play with and am not in any major rush – other than the excitement of a new car in a year where there has been zero other excitement! Thanks again, I will hold off for a while and hope for the best

#138017 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Out of interest, what dealer, I’m looking at the SE

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #137986 in Should I wait to renew until after April price change?
Your information: